Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
As a human being, I am very happy Notre Dame got absolutely pasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what a corn cobbing

:randstare:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Mizzou hung half a hundred on us

Tar and feather Lying Lyle Jones

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
No, you see Mizzou is actually really good

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

hey we beat Florida in an extremely sloppy game that was totally unsurprising to me.

Next week we will struggle mightily with Wofford too. Then we will play out of our minds against Clemson. Such is the way of the Gamecock.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Boomer Soonering pretty hard

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rad Valtar posted:

I can’t believe there were actual people discussing if it was time for Urban Meyer to move on this past week. 44-3 in conference play in 6 years. People are loving insane.

I think it's time for Meyer to move on.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
few things are more Georgia-y than faceplanting in a big game on the same day the coach we fired two years ago takes our quality win out behind the woodshed

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is this the year that the weeping and gnashing of teeth become too much, and we get a 6 or 8 team playoff?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Some thoughts on Ohio State

- Jesus, that could've been even uglier when you consider that the turnovers likely took about 7-10 points off the board. Urban's usually good for 1-2 insane rear end-hammerings a year where everything goes perfectly in the run game, and this was one. To be completely honest, I don't think I've ever, save maybe the Bama game, seen an Ohio State team just destroy the other team's front 7 that thoroughly in a ranked game. Maybe Nebraska last year, but that was against a way inferior opponent to this.

- Despite all of that, hear me loud and clear, JT Barrett is decent-good, and this offense will be far better without him next year. The passing game right now lives and dies with the receivers, since he just can't make the throws with any type of consistent velocity or ball flight. His running is fine, but I just don't see a way that an athletic secondary doesn't murder him with how long he takes to get the ball out half the time.

- Next year's QB battle is going to be odd. Haskins has had all the reps and appears to be the best arm on the team, but his zone-read ability is closer to John Brantley than Barrett. Burrow hasn't played as much this year, though he got some reps last year, and appears to basically just be JT Barrett with a slightly improved arm on him. Martell is the best skillset for the current offense and can run or pass, but he'll be a RS FR. We get to learn a lot about where Urban thinks the future of his system is next year.

- Dobbins/Weber might be the best 2-back OSU rotation I can remember. I can't see Weber coming out this year, so that's going to likely continue into next season, which should make some DCs sweat a lot right now. Plus, there's an actual receiving corps with delineated roles again. Biggest concern for me is the O-line losing the LT and C, but the 2nd string has gotten some decent burn this year, so who knows.

- I feel really bad for any team that's gotten through the year saying "they won't be able to do that to our O-line next year". Bosa/Young/Cooper might be a more athletic top 3 than the guys in there right now, and you can make a case that Young is higher potential than even the Bosas when you watch him move.

- I don't know how to feel about Bill Davis right now. The LBs last week played their worst game in about 5 years, then today, down 2 starters, they smoke a similar offense and look like murderous bastards. I think part of the issue is that Booker and Baker are too similar and lead to the same weaknesses (can't block shed, horrific in zone coverage). Hopefully they're sorted out next year, but the fact that the 2s have played so much this year bodes well.

- Arnette is slowly winning me over with how effing crafty he is. He's not fast enough to be the traditional OSU cover guy, but man is he just a total bastard to deal with on the boundary. His press work was impressive as hell. Sheffield's even starting to come around and look like a good corner now, though his hand technique and backpedal still revert to bad habits at times. We're almost certainly losing Ward off this team while Weber graduates, but the other two plus Okudah, Fuller, and whoever wins at SS could bring this back to a top 5-10 secondary very quickly.

- We finally can kickoff. I don't have anything else to add. It's just insane to me that this competency was gone from the team until like week 12.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Is this the year that the weeping and gnashing of teeth become too much, and we get a 6 or 8 team playoff?

8 team, power 5 champs in, 1 g5/independent/at large, 2 guaranteed at large, always seemed like a good idea to me

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

8 team, power 5 champs in, 1 g5/independent/at large, 2 guaranteed at large, always seemed like a good idea to me

Agreed

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Coco13 posted:

ELEVEN A M KICK AGAINST loving MICHIGAN. gently caress JIM DELANEY. gently caress JIM HARBAUGH.

gently caress.

Blame Jim Delaney. Blame FOX.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

That leaves plenty of teeth gnashing over the last 3 spots. I like it , lets do it.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 12, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Lat leaves plenty of teeth gnashing over the last 3 spots. I like it , lets do it.

It does, but I think if you had a year where a power 5 or two just looked solid, they deserve at least a shot to prove it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Wow yesterday was bad. I’m in Columbus but thankfully did not go to the game. Notre Dame getting pasted by the Canes was great but I would’ve needed both Bama and Michigan losing as well to make up for that performance.

Still probably going to the Outback Bowl or something after a 3-9 season with an extremely young team so I’ll deal.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

so drat tilted from the chain

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wow yesterday was bad. I’m in Columbus but thankfully did not go to the game. Notre Dame getting pasted by the Canes was great but I would’ve needed both Bama and Michigan losing as well to make up for that performance.

Still probably going to the Outback Bowl or something after a 3-9 season with an extremely young team so I’ll deal.

Barring catastrophe, we should end 9-3. That is very solid, and way better than my 6-6 high prediction coming into this season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also how is this not in the OP?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I heard it's all about the U c/d?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well ISU let another one slip away. Still not mad about the season though. They just better take care of business against BU and KSU. 8 wins would still be 3 more than I expected before the season started.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Eifert Posting posted:

I heard it's all about the U c/d?

This is a big confirm.

My favorite thing about the game in hindsight is that Miami should have had sure thing interceptions on the first and second ND drives and dropped them both. Then still beat the crud out of them.

Between the last 12-15 years of ‘Canes football and 20 years of Dolphins football it feels real nice to be proud of a football team again. I forgot what it was like.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm excited about the ACCCG and fully prepared to possibly lose to a really good Miami team :shobon:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Okay, but is Miami good though?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

They sure as poo poo were last night.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Injuries at LB definitely started to show last night, but Jesus MSU handled Bama for 5/6 of that game. The run game opening up for 7-8 yards a carry at the very end was our saving grace. Jalen Hurts has nerves of steel, and Calvin Ridley is unreal.

In conclusion,

https://i.imgur.com/GO5GwuM.gifv

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Yes

There are only two good teams this year: Alabama and apparently Miami?

Anyway, my playoff prediction now:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Miami
4. Ohio State

Alabama is the actual wild card here, because Auburn is real good (Malzahn has saved his job, obviously), and Alabama struggled mightily with Mississippi State. Auburn is a lot better than Mississippi State.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yes

There are only two good teams this year: Alabama and apparently Miami?

Anyway, my playoff prediction now:

1. Alabama
2. Oklahoma
3. Miami
4. Ohio State

Alabama is the actual wild card here, because Auburn is real good (Malzahn has saved his job, obviously), and Alabama struggled mightily with Mississippi State. Auburn is a lot better than Mississippi State.

I thought the Hawkeyes sunk Ohio State's chances?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I don’t think that Alabama has definitively proven that it’s good (meaning “undisputed number one, best team” good. Obviously it’s good at football). It’s beat up bad teams and had some awful close calls with it’s only decent competition. The win over FSU is hard to judge because no one knows if they were actually good or not. Auburn is going to be a huge test, they look scary right now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kennesaw State... PUT A SHIRT AND TIE ON PLANK

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
You really think a B1G team is going to make it, much less a 2 loss Ohio?

1. Wiscy
2. UCF
3. Miami
4. Bama

Be perfect. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Anyway here’s my top 4

1 Miami
2 Bama
3 OU
4 I dunno, Clemson I guess?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
What happens if Auburn beats Alabama and beats UGA again in the SEC championship game? Could Auburn get in with 2 losses? Could Alabama and Auburn both get in? What if Auburn loses to UGA in a rematch? Who goes, Alabama, UGA or both?

Also gently caress this guy....
https://imgur.com/gallery/ew8T8
He rang that loving bell all night and in people’s faces. Never going to Starkville again.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Scarf posted:

Kennesaw State... PUT A SHIRT AND TIE ON PLANK

because Turnover Plank

is going to work :c00l:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Emron posted:

Anyway here’s my top 4

1 Miami
2 Bama
3 OU
4 I dunno, Clemson I guess?

Switch OU and Clemson around bc I want to see Mayfield get absolutely picked apart by Miami's secondary.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Flikken posted:

I thought the Hawkeyes sunk Ohio State's chances?
Who the gently caress knows anymore?

I'd have agreed until Georgia and Notre Dame got stomped, and Washington lost.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Here's my top four at the end

Miami
Oklahoma
Michigan
Auburn

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Scarf posted:

Switch OU and Clemson around bc I want to see Mayfield get absolutely picked apart by Miami's secondary.

I don't see anyone's secondary containing Big Dick Daddy Mayfield.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I don't see anyone's secondary containing Big Dick Daddy Mayfield.

Funny how we've been hearing that for what... 3-4 years now?

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

cosmicjim posted:

What happens if Auburn beats Alabama and beats UGA again in the SEC championship game? Could Auburn get in with 2 losses? Could Alabama and Auburn both get in? What if Auburn loses to UGA in a rematch? Who goes, Alabama, UGA or both?

This is the question I keep asking myself and I honestly don't know what will happen. Obviously it depends on how other conferences shake down (Wisconsin, Miami, etc) but 1 loss Alabama not in a conference game is the ultimate playoff X factor.

Then you start thinking about what happens with the other two teams if Auburn wins out and it all goes to poo poo. Aside from being an Auburn fan I'd really like to see that happen just to watch the chaos ensue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

cosmicjim posted:

Also gently caress this guy....
https://imgur.com/gallery/ew8T8
He rang that loving bell all night and in people’s faces. Never going to Starkville again.

I think this Auburn win means there's not really any chance two SEC teams make the playoffs. I think the sec champ is in for sure whether it's Auburn/bama/UGA.

Also, That game was probably the best I will ever see an Auburn team play in person. It was awesome.

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/929555882777694209

• Locked thread