Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Courtesy of facist rag the Daily Mail, 12’s coat looks rather tattered:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Is that hindi/future Japanese-hindi on that thing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Riptor posted:

Is that hindi/future Japanese-hindi on that thing?

Yeah, in other pics, it’s a shopping bag covered in the writing.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've always wondered a little bit about the Doctor's wardrobe. The Doctor's adhered to thirteen specific men's styles throughout his life. Fairly often it seems like his old outfit's destroyed around the time of his regeneration (4, 10, 12 now, maybe others?). It doesn't make sense that all that clothing was his. Sure there have been dozens of companions throughout his travels, but does that mean the Doctor flies around with a wardrobe full of mostly women's clothing?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mameluke posted:

I've always wondered a little bit about the Doctor's wardrobe. The Doctor's adhered to thirteen specific men's styles throughout his life. Fairly often it seems like his old outfit's destroyed around the time of his regeneration (4, 10, 12 now, maybe others?). It doesn't make sense that all that clothing was his. Sure there have been dozens of companions throughout his travels, but does that mean the Doctor flies around with a wardrobe full of mostly women's clothing?

He does have an extensive wardrobe room or rooms, in the TARDIS, yes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sarah Jane even found some of Victoria's old clothes once.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Yeah, there is not officially any explanation as to why, but they've been pretty clear that there is just a full wardrobe of era-dependent clothes for both men and women on the TARDIS.

I figure, if you're going to travel throughout time and you come from a gender-fluctuating race and your goal is to blend in, it's a necessary thing, so it doesn't really matter if the Doctor has been stocking up, the TARDIS just adjusts and changes the clothing closets sometimes, or there are just a whooooooole lot of clothes. Whatever the case, there's a department store for every time and place, except all the clothes are free, and I actually sort of wish they'd show it more.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I always figured the clothes wardrobe was standard issue in all TARDISes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=470qN_j6C9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu1C1Wmj3Xc

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Moffat talks to the Radio Times about the Xmas special.

Brief description of the Christmas Special’s opening including a ‘Previously on...’ for Tenth Planet!

I’m honestly so looking forward to this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

quote:

Maybe seeing the whole span of his life as a man, seeing himself as the Hartnell Doctor, might make him think maybe it’s time to be a bit more progressive.
oh Steven, mate, please don't make a big meal out of this

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

2house2fly posted:

oh Steven, mate, please don't make a big meal out of this

"I've always thought people underestimated the dramatic potential of the Absorbaloff."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Moffat talks to the Radio Times about the Xmas special.

Brief description of the Christmas Special’s opening including a ‘Previously on...’ for Tenth Planet!

I’m honestly so looking forward to this.

quote:

At the New York ComicCon last year someone was asking me about which Doctors I wanted to be in The Day of the Doctor. And the Doctor you’d really like to meet the modern Doctor is the William Hartnell Doctor because he’s moved on so much, because that would be the entire span of the character’s life. The first Doctor would be so shocked that he is going to become this strutting megalomaniac. And so I said, “But we can’t do it,” and then Peter said, “We could get David Bradley.” “Oh yeah…!”

:allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, but why? Oh I hope it’s not a surprise ‘Clara turns up right at the end like Amy did for 11, and Lancashire is quite close to Yorkshire’ thing.

https://twitter.com/SFXmagazine/status/937992571615436800

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

Clara turns up right at the end like Amy did for 11, ...

Considering that they've made bringing the Doctor's first companion back to say goodbye is A Thing now (10 visits Rose as the last stop on his goodbye tour, and then 11's imagined Amy), I'd be a little surprised if Clara doesn't show up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, but why?

Because it's Jodie Whittaker's natural accent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Because it's Jodie Whittaker's natural accent.

See, that’s far less interesting than the headline makes it sound.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lots of planets have a...Yorkshire?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Lots of planets have a...Yorkshire?

North still works; Yorkshire is Northern.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They haven’t released Gatiss’s character’s name. Odds on he’s a Lethbridge-Stewart?

https://twitter.com/girlyletters/status/938230845554483200

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

North still works; Yorkshire is Northern.

More northern than bloody Lancashire

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

They haven’t released Gatiss’s character’s name. Odds on he’s a Lethbridge-Stewart?

I like the theory that the captain is Gilbert Mackenzie Trench, who built the original police box in 1929.

It's something i can see Moffat doing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Muppetjedi posted:

I like the theory that the captain is Gilbert Mackenzie Trench, who built the original police box in 1929.

It's something i can see Moffat doing.

I'm hoping for this rather than a Lethbridge-Stewart.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Captain John Smith.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trench was 29 when WWI broke out, Gatiss would be playing much younger than his actual age.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He's the Brigadier's dad and somehow Capaldi saved the Brigadier's dad's life ensuring the Brigadier would be born even though you can't use Capaldi to make a causal loop because he's the result of the future being changed Steven Moffat you idiotic hack!!!!!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

2house2fly posted:

He's the Brigadier's dad and somehow Capaldi saved the Brigadier's dad's life ensuring the Brigadier would be born even though you can't use Capaldi to make a causal loop because he's the result of the future being changed Steven Moffat you idiotic hack!!!!!!!

lmao @ this post

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The Captain? Another timelord?

(no)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Episode ends with the Doctor going back into the TARDIS to regenerate. Just before he closes the door, he asks the Captain, "By the way, what's your name?" and he says, "Ross. Captain Dave Ross. Davros for short." :lost:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
From the reviews I'm reading (and spoiler impressions online based on the advance screenings):

Moffat hosed up the First Doctor's characterization and leaned too heavily into the whole "the 60s were sexist" shtick. A pity.

The Captain is a Lethbridge-Stewart.

The story is actually pretty straightforward.

I don't think anyone has been able to see the regeneration scene yet, so no idea of how Whittaker starts her days as The Doctor.

There's a Clara cameo.

As far as I remember we need no spoiler tags for this thread, but I spoilered the least vague stuff just in case.

EDIT: I actually rewrote part of the message so the last part didn't really make a lot of sense compared to what I'd actually spoilered, so I clarified.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 17, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Moffat has pretty much confirmed in (I think) a radio times interview that the Doctors big takeaway from the events of the episode is going to be "I have always been a damned sexist man, and so I will now live as a woman"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hahaha oh god this is going to be a trainwreck. Of course Moffat felt the need to address the issue head-on instead of just treating it like a normal thing that happens.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

"A good man? No, a GREAT woman!"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Moffat hosed up the First Doctor's characterization and leaned too heavily into the whole "the 60s were sexist" shtick. A pity.

This is such a loving garbage idea. Why not go all in and have him be racist and homophobic towards Bill while you're at it if you're poo poo on the first Doctor so much?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why would the Doctor be sexist

Literally why

He was never written to be sexist. He has always been a flawed character but sexism was never SUPPOSED to be one of those flaws

It would creep in because of societal norms, but for the love of Christ Verity Lambert had a huge hand in the First Doctor's character and portrayal

*WHY* would you want to do this

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Moffat likes to relate the show to the real world, so playing up the first doctor's outdated attitudes contrasts the attitudes of the real world at the time with how far we've come now that a woman is playing the title role and a female prime minister is catapulting the country towards ruin. It's an optimistic message with hope that progressive attitudes will continue both in the show and in the real world, and also an absolutely wretchedly bad sounding idea that I really hope is made up for by other good things in the episode

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Master is presented as sexist IN THE CONTEXT OF THE SHOW because he's an awful monster and murderer

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS WITH THE DOCTOR AND ESPECIALLY WITH THE DOCTOR WHO IS KIND OF FAMOUS FOR HAVING A WOMAN SHOW RUNNER WHICH IS STILL loving RARE YOU PIECE OF poo poo HACK

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Mameluke posted:

Canonical wardrobes aside, I'm hoping she opts for my personal favorite occasional habit of the Doctor's. Just straight up stealing her kit from some luckless chump at a hospital. Pertwee, McGann, and Smith all just walked away with someone else's clothes. (Am I forgetting anyone?) I've always found that hilarious. Kick things off with a little petty larceny.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I should say that opinions vary on whether Moffat nailed it or not with the First Doctor, I'm just extrapolating based on the fact that every review I've seen mentions repeated jokes on his "politically incorrect" attitudes on women. E.g. : http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/twice-upon-a-time-advance-review-86499.htm

I agree with most people here that it's a bad idea, but who knows, maybe it'll turn out alright. Probably not. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

King Plum the Nth posted:

Canonical wardrobes aside, I'm hoping she opts for my personal favorite occasional habit of the Doctor's. Just straight up stealing her kit from some luckless chump at a hospital. Pertwee, McGann, and Smith all just walked away with someone else's clothes. (Am I forgetting anyone?) I've always found that hilarious. Kick things off with a little petty larceny.

Troughton just made off with Hartnell's clothes :cheeky: