Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Dabir posted:

Tabloids are selling rage, they're gonna use loaded language like that no matter the truth.

can't wait for her to BREAK HER SILENCE on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Didn't they pull the "difficult to work with" card with Eccleston? It's not my business if one person is difficult to work with or why, but if it's actually indicative of deeper dysfunctions then I'd be concerned. I would hope RTD would have learned from the previous mess and run a tighter ship.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Didn't they pull the "difficult to work with" card with Eccleston? It's not my business if one person is difficult to work with or why, but if it's actually indicative of deeper dysfunctions then I'd be concerned. I would hope RTD would have learned from the previous mess and run a tighter ship.

No. The BBC put out a press release, without Eccleston or Davies' knowledge, that Eccleston had always planned to leave the show after one season because he didn't want to be typecast as the Doctor and he only wanted to help get the show off the ground, and the release had false attribution. (In truth, Eccleston decided to quit because he nearly throttled Keith Boak during the block of episodes he directed.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It seems silly to start speculating that this is anyone's fault or whatever. She's a young woman who came up out of the soaps and this show very probably is exhausting to work on but opens up doors. I'd bet she just had her innings and wanted to move on, or else Davies just felt like it was time for a new companion. Or both. Until I hear differently, I'm not going to think it's palace intrigue, that just feeds the tabloids more to work with when the inevitable clickbait headlines start up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Timby posted:

No. The BBC put out a press release, without Eccleston or Davies' knowledge, that Eccleston had always planned to leave the show after one season because he didn't want to be typecast as the Doctor and he only wanted to help get the show off the ground, and the release had false attribution. (In truth, Eccleston decided to quit because he nearly throttled Keith Boak during the block of episodes he directed.)

IIRC, "sources" also leaked that he was tired, emotionally overwrought, etc., with said leaks being pretty clearly done to basically make it look like he couldn't handle the stress of the role.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There was a couple of "entitled diva" stories about Pearl Mackie as well, which I really only remember because a goon who worked on the show said it was bullshit and she was nice as pie

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Tbh that was probably just down to the tabloids' usual background level of racism.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Kinda hard to be mad about it, so far. I mean, we've seen her in one story, I haven't gotten that attached yet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So, she'll have the entire first series, and then leaves at some point in the second one, possibly to join the UNIT spinoff

(wouldn't it be amusing if they scoop up leftover companions to use as intelligence officers for alien threats after their on and offscreen adventures with the Doctor? Are there any other living Classic companions they cold possibly use? ...what about Audio companions?)

Kinda standard companion fare, honestly, especially under RTD's tenure - it was only Classic and Moffat that really had multi-season companions

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

So, she'll have the entire first series, and then leaves at some point in the second one, possibly to join the UNIT spinoff

(wouldn't it be amusing if they scoop up leftover companions to use as intelligence officers for alien threats after their on and offscreen adventures with the Doctor? Are there any other living Classic companions they cold possibly use? ...what about Audio companions?)

Kinda standard companion fare, honestly, especially under RTD's tenure - it was only Classic and Moffat that really had multi-season companions

Would be funny if RTD did a proper adaptation of Muriel Frost after killing her off in a silent cameo back in 2005.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vinylshadow posted:

Not a classic companion, and I thought her writing was dull as dishwater, but Yaz could be a great fit for the UNIT spin-off.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Variety (imo one of the gold standards of entertainment news) already has the new companion. Gotta say, solid choice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
She’s gonna blap some Daleks.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
This whole thing just feels weird because of how big the gap is between filming and airing. I guess RTD wants to get the show back on a regular footing, but it does make cast changes like this feel different.

I wonder how big the gap will be between Ncuti filming his last scene and us getting to see it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think it was months after Jodie had filmed her last scene that we found out she/Chibnall weren’t coming back?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Oh I really enjoyed her in Andor.

Nice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Oh I really enjoyed her in Andor.

Nice.

Downside: I hope she can still be in Andor S2. :ohdear:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Downside: I hope she can still be in Andor S2. :ohdear:

Andor S2 was already mostly filmed, even before the strikes, so there shouldn't be any conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Yeah she'd be fine because I think Andor S2 only had a tiny bit to go when the strikes ended.