Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, the Radio Times for the week after next is going to have a big cover story on the new series and a summary of some of it has been leaked. Or allegedly leaked. Obviously I'd be skeptical, but, anyway:

quote:

As has been long rumoured the series will be fully serialised telling one (main) story. What hadn't been mentioned before is that Chibnall will be writing the lot, which is the main reason why it's only ten episodes. The plan is to bring back other writers for subsequent series and add a couple more episodes back to the length. The BBC will also be heavily promoting this as a brand-new jumping on point, so don't expect any returning characters/enemies/monsters.

The premise is pretty wild as well: in the first episode something will happen that splits the Doctor and TARDIS in three stranding them on Earth in the past (1968), present (2018) and future (2068). The TARDISes won't be able to travel in time but can still travel in space so it won't be entirely Earthbound. And while there are three Companions each Doctor will only have one, which explains how Bradley Walsh is able to do this while still carrying on with his other work.

The main narrative thrust for the series will be the Doctor(s) trying to put themselves back together again; each of them will have a distinct personality and they are able to communicate, so we get a multi-Doctor experience with only one Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Werenít there rumors the first ep was set in Joburg?

Well, they're shooting in Cape Town right now...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Somehow I missed that leak

Cast and crew arrived there shortly after the new year (apparently Chibnall has made it a huge point to crack down on leaks). Here's another set photo.

Definitely a '50s police car, so I wonder if they're having Cape Town double as the American South... (Though you'd think it would be cheaper to just shoot in the States.)

Timby fucked around with this message at Jan 16, 2018 around 02:07

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh.

Oh, no.

This can't possibly end well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Please tell me that arenít trying to do something involving Rosa Parks. I do not trust Chibnall to handle something like that.

Looks that way, the bus matches:

This could get offensive real fast if it falls into a "Doctor inspired Rosa" / white savior trope, or if aliens / monsters were somehow involved.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zygons have been spotted on-set in Cape Town along with the TARDIS. So ... Zygon fuckery with Rosa Parks. Chibnall, this is not an auspicious beginning.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

I think at this point the best that we can hope for is a sort of parallel depiction, in which we see the Rosa Parks story play out, there's an alien threat trying to disrupt it that never comes in direct contact with it, and the beats in the story kind of match up to make it feel like they're connected. Even that, though... it's going to be very, very easy to be insensitive, insulting and cringe-worthy.

Again, Zygons were photographed on-set, so we already know there will be fuckery from them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AndyElusive posted:

Pizza Powers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgHnwRUnT_4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Console room picture leaked.

Oh... maybe it'll look better when it's lit. I hope so.

What in the everholyloving gently caress is that.

It's like the 9 / 10 coral room, with a coat of StarCraft paint applied to it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Smith's first console room really was gorgeous. Shame it was such a pain in the rear end to film in that they had to make a new one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Matinee posted:

What was the story with that? I know the rotor kept breaking and there was one guy in Wales who knew how to make them, but what was the problem with the rest of the set? Was it the copper walls reflecting crew/gear?

Not just the copper walls, but all the glass. They found that it was excessively difficult to set up shots and light them without something reflecting, somewhere, be it a crew member or a C-stand or a boom mic or whatever, resulting in the shooting of a few episodes running long.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Riptor posted:

Agreed. Bare minimum just have at least a door off to the side. The coral room didn't even have anything indicating there were other spaces

Well, it had a wardrobe. Somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I will defend the Smith/Capaldi room until I die. Up to that point none of the new rooms felt like the TARDIS to me and the first time we saw it it was like an old friend coming home.
And cramped? Its flippin huge.

It is huge, but they really didn't quite know how to shoot it in the early goings. I mean, when it first shows up in The Snowmen, it feels like they're in an 8'x8' closet because of the angles.

Mameluke posted:

I think my favourite is the first Matt Smith console room, for how it amps up the best aspects of 9/10's console while also adding a lot more space and opportunities for cool shots.

The design of it is absolutely lovely. Shame about the practicalities, though.

Anyway, the best console room is 7's in the TV movie, shame on y'all.