Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It really does look like it's escaped from some '80s BBC kids show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TV Movie console room is obvs best. There’s a dude on a Who prop FB group who has a replica McGann console room at home (giant struts and all) and it’s amazing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Isn't the original console in a garage in California or something?

Yeah, dude rescued and restored it. He brings it to conventions now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

That never went anywhere, did it? Like we never even knew where that was from, because it was onto the cracks and A Plot.

Yeah you were supposed to infer that it was the Silence ship from Impossible Astronaut had gone adrift or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chris Chibnall posted:

"Mesopotamia."

That was the last word of dialogue to be filmed for this set of Doctor Who episodes, on set on Friday 3 August at Roath Lock Studios. Done, wrapped, finished.

It felt a long way from the first yell of "Action!" on Halloween last year. Back then, standing there in the dark, in our hard hats, we were pondering the wisdom of starting with such a complex and crucial sequence. And now here we are, out the other side, nearly ten months filming all done, on new stories, new characters - and a new Doctor.

It's thrilling to think there will be children encountering Jodie's Doctor in the next few weeks who've never seen the show before. She'll be forever their Doctor: every Doctor is a first Doctor for someone. And everybody reading this magazine knows that once this show lodges in your heart it never really lets go.

There's a new opening title sequence too, and a new arrangement of the opening theme, by our brilliant new composer Segun Akinola. You'll have to wait till episode two to see those in situ, though. Episode one starts slightly differently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Episode 3 details... considering it's been written by Malorie Blackman, I feel a lot more confident. Although I'm suddenly remembering that weren't Zygons sighted on set for this one? And they've since claimed there's no old/classic monsters?

Episode 3: Rosa

The Doctor takes her companions on their first journey back in time - to the dangerous, racially segregated world of Alabama in the 1950s. They encounter one of the era's heroes, black civil rights campaigner Rosa Parks, but also discover a plot to change the course of history. Vinette Robinson (Sherlock, The A Word) guest stars in an episode by acclaimed children's author Malorie Blackman. Chris Chibnall has a co-writing credit for this episode.

The guest cast list:

Rosa Parks: Vinette Robinson
Krasko: Joshua Bowman
James Blake: Trevor White
Mr Steele: Richard Lothian
Police officer: Mason Gareth Marks
Raymond Parks: David Rubin
Martin Luther King Jr: Ray Sesay
Fred Gray: Aki Omoshaybi
Elias Griffin Jr: David Dukas
Arthur: Morgan Deare
Waitress: Jessica Claire Preddy

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently episode 4, which is to do with the Witch Finder army, might be a pure historical!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like all of Who fandom is sucking air through its teeth in apprehension at this episode. 😬

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe punching a racist every season will become a thing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ep 5 &6 summary:

The Tsuranga Conundrum

“RISK TO LIFE: ABSOLUTE.”

Injured and stranded in the wilds of a far-flung galaxy, The Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan must band together with a group of strangers to survive against one of the universe’s most deadly — and unusual — creatures.

Guest Stars:

Suzanne Packer
Ben Bailey Smith
Brett Goldstein
Lois Chimimba

Demons of the Punjab

“WHAT’S THE POINT OF HAVING A MATE WITH A TIME MACHINE, IF YOU CAN’T NIP BACK AND SEE YOUR GRAN WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER?”

India, 1947. The Doctor and her friends arrive in the Punjab, as the country is being torn apart. While Yaz attempts to discover her grandmother’s hidden history, the Doctor discovers demons haunting the land. Who are they and what do they want?

Guest starring Shane Zaza, Amita Suman and Hamza Jeetooa. Written by Vinay Patel. Directed by Jamie Childs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Next episode synopsis. Not on Earth then.

“Delivery for the Doctor!” A mysterious message arrives in a package addressed to the Doctor, leading her, Graham, Yaz and Ryan to investigate the warehouse moon orbiting Kandoka, and the home of the galaxy’s largest retailer: Kerblam!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also, New Years Day special synopsis, which is vague at best, but does reveal Team TARDIS is still together.

quote:

As the New Year begins, a terrifying evil is stirring from across the centuries of Earth’s history. As the Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz return home, will they be able to overcome the threat to planet Earth?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2Jmg82_1g

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, the next episode looked like it’s not a pure historical like was rumoured. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m intrigued by the talk of losing the bronzed look.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Well, you'll never guess which political party Mike Nelson votes for

And Joel Hodgson!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently this is the Dalek from the NY special. It’s a new style one, but painted silver with blue bumps like a Hartnell classic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Are they reusing the Nightmare in Silver design? I was hoping they'd go for something new with Chibnall.

Article says the design has been altered to look more fitting to the period. I’m assuming knights.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1186947729030860800

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, the Resolution Dalek but made shinier. I guess that’s a recon Dalek?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The BBC have been advertising that Something Shocking will happen in the next ep, so this news might be preceding that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That is truly terrible.

It occurs to me we’re still waiting for the Daleks they filmed in Bristol.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Time’s Childress. It’s a True Detective crossover. :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wrong thread?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

marktheando posted:

So the alleged leak making the rounds on Reddit is that the Timeless Child was a mystery child found by the Time Lords on an alien world with the ability to endlessly regenerate. That's where the ability to regenerate comes from, and the Timeless child was I guess killed by the process of taking this ability. The Timeless Child was then resurrected as the Doctor who doesn't remember all these previous regenerations. Ruth is one of these pre-Hartnell regenerations.

I can't really express how lame this would be if true.

And it WAS terrible! loving yikes. :cripes:

Anyway, we might be losing the good companions.

https://twitter.com/drwhospace/status/1234587993975009280

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The proper version of the recon Dalek. Still looks terrible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It looks like they reused a lot of the junkyard dalek and just painted it black. Like, I can understand the one in Resolution looking like it did because the creature was making do with shoddy earth materials, and this was the best it could manage.

To learn the recon dalek actually looks like that is... weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He’s in the upcoming Spider-Man spin-off, Morbius, and his IMDB shows him working pretty consistently on film, tv, and stage. He was Patrick Bateman in American Psycho: the musical on stage in London a few years back and I wish I’d got to see that.

I fully expect him to have a Bill Nighy arc when he gets to his 50s.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Next season: cameos of the Doctor sitting in a chair far away from the action, occasionally watching the plot happen to other people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Look who’s back!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1330965593550295041

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Closer photo, looks like they’re going for the more classic uniform.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

J33uk posted:

Well that's us down to 1 companion again (Or is it, Captain Jack + Yas for 8 episodes anyone?)

I’d be up for that, more Jack is always welcome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Back in January, the news came out that Tosin Cole had been cast in a US drama series called 61st Street, so it was pretty inevitable he wasn't going to be around for much longer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Also, huh, that means he'd already filmed his last Who stuff by the time that news came out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

More returning familiar faces.

https://twitter.com/workbenchoffice/status/1336417097291796488

https://twitter.com/spacethirteen/status/1336097643018248193

https://twitter.com/thomash90175738/status/1336082619688226820

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Interested to see what they do with the angels, this will be the first time they've appeared in an ep not written by Moffat won't it?

Huh, yes. Unless Chibnall has begged Moffat back.

These photos all feel like the same episode, so Sontarans and Angels together?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I womder if this is a multiparter as they were filming with the angels a few weeks ago too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, flat out calling the brand Autons has the smell of Chibnall about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There is also poet/comedian Rob Auton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’re currently filming in Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/scousescene/status/1374254394233982976