Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

2house2fly posted:

That was fairly funny. I liked "what do you mean, one?"

I think it was meant to be somber rather than funny but y'know, Moffat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Oh god is that leak about her incarnation being split across three points in time gonna be true? I know it's a time travel show but her falling out of the Tardis did make me think she'd be stranded and reminded me of it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Chibnall also wrote the episodes of Life on Mars about a suspect dying in custody and Sam meeting his mentor: the first black cop on the force. It MIGHT be fine?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
So long as someone doesn't say "You're a credit to your race" and have one of our heroes throw shade with a "Y-You too" then it's better than I imagine.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like a lot of things this season have been described as "the most dangerous creature in the universe."

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
lol it's gonna be Resolution of the Daleks isn't it?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If that leak is true and his appearance isn't just a multi-Doctor thing then this is legitimately the worst to me and hugely cynical.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I find it hard to not be cynical when RTD exits with Tennant regenerating and then RTD returns with Tennant regenerating and isn't somehow poo-pooing 3+ Doctors and a decade or 70% of the nu-Who he was absent from.

I know for a fact that a bunch of people want to watch DW for the first time because of the Ncuti announcement, and I feel like they're going to be disappointed with this nostalgia focus; and likewise, the mainstream audience who're getting baited by Tennant returning are going to bounce hard off once he turns into Ncuti (see also racism). I feel like it's going to be a disservice to everyone.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

WHY IS IT NOT AIRING NOW :mad:

No you see we've got to relive 2008 again first for some reason.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, assuming the leaks are most likely correct now, I really hate the idea of the first (series lead anyway) black Doctor a) having to exist while Tennant 2.0 also still exists and b) not getting 14’s Tardis but instead having to use his Toymaker victory wish to create his own Tardis. It feels really cowardly to not just have Gatwa be the only current Doctor and to instead have Tennant stick around for other adventures at the same time. You’re forcing Gatwa to start what should be his era as The Doctor while under the shadow of an older very popular Doctor. Not to mention all the right wing culture warrior horseshit practically writes itself and will be inescapable, “he’s not the REAL doctor!” “it’s not the REAL Tardis!” etc.

That loving sucks. Just make 14 regenerate into 15 and bring Tennant back the traditional way whenever you want MultiDoc shenanigans.

I did read per RTD he had Tennant regenerate with a costume because he didn't want Tennant to be seen wearing womens' clothes and appear laughable (which is weird to say in general with the overall LGBT lean but especially since Whitaker's costume wasn't particularly feminine to begin with??) so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if having Gatwa materialise in his own body instead of overwriting Tennant is due to some similarly weird "it'd look like Tennant in blackface for two frames" neurosis.

But to be entirely fair, we haven't seen it and the execution might be better than it reads. Because loving surely to gently caress, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Smith to Capaldi consisted of a violent sneeze and instant regeneration, there’s definitely already previously-established ways to go from Tennant to Gatwa without having to worry about accidental blackface during the fx transition.

Absolutely. But RTD does strange poo poo.