Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

"A good man? No, a GREAT woman!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

Oh god not something new and interesting

The problem isn't that it's new, it's that it would be loving stupid.

She's the first female Doctor. Taking her and splitting her into three distinct personalities and the getting rid of all three at the end of the season to make her whole again, which would essentially be a brand new character is dumb.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hahahahaha. Sick discussion bro.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

I mean it's not a spoiler yet it's in the spoiler thread. Thought that was frowned upon

Oh poo poo. Your right. I thought this was the regular thread and you were just being dismissive.

Ahhh gently caress.

Sorry for making a prick of myself.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Szmitten posted:

Chibnall also wrote the episodes of Life on Mars about a suspect dying in custody and Sam meeting his mentor: the first black cop on the force. It MIGHT be fine?

The black cop was okay but everything else in that episode was liquid poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Or Rosa Parks is featuring in the episode as an entirely accurate depiction of the event because Yasmine, whose a political activist, tells the Doctor she wants to witness it.

That's a possibility too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Weird how we have to condemn the Hartnell era of Doctor Who by turning the First Doctor into a cartoon racist, but Nixon and Churchill are depicted as lovable scamps who had to be hardass decision makers.

This is because it was Moffats parting shot at those who call him sexist. He wanted to let you know that despite his faults it could be much worse... by inventing faults that weren't present in a 60 year old version of the show.

It's actually immensely disrespectful to the production crew of the time (which remains the most diverse one that Doctor Who has ever had) for a white rich man to protray their character as a racist and sexist dinosaur for his own gratification.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Thank you. It was taking me a while to figure out what a "bum bag" was, and I wasn't about to Google it. I wasn't even looking at where it was, I was thinking it was the jacket, or was looking for a messenger bag type...thing.

Well they aren't actually filming there so it could be Jodies personal belonging for between takes and down time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Actually Sideways was the term used to describe a real world concept or idea told via science fiction. The Daleks were specifically a sideways pitch on the Nazi's. This is from the Doctor Who Vault.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Trailer and clips have leaked. Including the new sonic.

Being taken down quickly enough that there's no point linking them.

Jodie looks good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The clip is great. The sonic is awful. New Dalek designs out there too

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Where are the Dalek pics?

If I find them I'll post them. Full trailer was out there earlier.

This is all from BBC Worldwide again. You've got to wonder what the gently caress is going on over there.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I’m intrigued by new Daleks. Who’s seen them?

The full trailer was very briefly on Twitter. So far all that's survived is the shots of the sonic.

I've not seen the full thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The crystals light up and pulse with energy and the floor pattern changes depending on the atmosphere of the scene, like a Rorschach pattern.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I like it.

I like it more than the Capaldi console room but less than the Smith and Eccleston ones.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'm looking and I don't really see it. You mean the infrastructure of the set was used?

Yeah. At one point before proper filming began they were even doing publicity events with the subway style Torchwood walls still visible.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BBC just confirmed it's taking the year off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Remember when people thought this was a deep concept, meaningfully distinct from when Davis did it better a decade earlier?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently this is the Dalek from the NY special. It’s a new style one, but painted silver with blue bumps like a Hartnell classic.

This picture has been floating around on the net for years.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

We've already had the special at this point, so I'm pretty sure everyone knows the picture has nothing to do with Whotaker.

Oh. I didn't check the dates. I thought I was replying to something recent about this years special. My bad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The proper version of the recon Dalek. Still looks terrible.

That's awful looking. Good lord.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

God I hope so. I still adore him. But he did hit some bumps trying to build his US career and Karen's one of the biggest stars in Hollywood right now. But then, even Tennant had trouble getting off the ground in Hollywood at first.

At first? He never got it going.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Wolfechu posted:

Not the first person to say it, but it looks medieval to me, like we're getting The Time Warrior Redux.

Although that doesn't explain why they're filming on a suburban street, I suppose.

I think that's just the style of the art right now for some costumes. The new Cybermen also looked medieval in set pics and then in the show proper you could hardly tell any difference.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jamie Dornan was spotted on set too (we think) and the new companion just got announced too;

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdoGPj6IILH/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

This isn't a complaint at all but it's very odd having a Doctor so ripped.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

She'd be a great companion if Ruby Sunday isn't sticking around (which I believe she is).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

There's nothing in this that confirms the leak!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Confusedslight posted:

Martha is going to be the only companion from the 10th doctor era who doesn't have their version of that doctor.

Well, she got to keep Mickey. :crossarms:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Seems legit.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

So this is New New Who? WhoTNG?

It's the Whoniverse era.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It might have something to do with Thirteen coming back if other leaks are to be believed.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I feel like everyone is kind of jumping into this being about the Sea Devils a little heavily. It's the UNIT spin-off that's long been rumored, just that the overarching conflict is between UNIT and the Sea Devils.

My understanding, from reading all the leaks I can find, is that it's got a couple of standalone eps about UNIT fighting other threats, but with the main plot of the season being about the Sea Devils.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Teek posted:

Was a lot more excited about the Sea Devils before their recent turn with 13. That episode was apparently a bit of a disaster production wise, and this makes it seem like someone in the BBC is bound and determined to make the money they spent on those costumes worthwhile finally. lol

They were poo poo costumes too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ncutti just posted an Instagram story calling Millies "my little Gemini heart". He's big into astrology, hence the Gemini thing. No mention of anything else but the timing must be deliberate.

Honestly, if there's been behind the scene problems I'd put them firmly at the production offices feet. It's a recurring pattern for them to have HR issues and Millie might only be 18 going on 19 during filming but she also came from soaps. Corrie might not be as demanding as Doctor Who in lots of ways but I guarantee its a great proving ground to stamp out "diva" behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

So, she'll have the entire first series, and then leaves at some point in the second one, possibly to join the UNIT spinoff

(wouldn't it be amusing if they scoop up leftover companions to use as intelligence officers for alien threats after their on and offscreen adventures with the Doctor? Are there any other living Classic companions they cold possibly use? ...what about Audio companions?)

Kinda standard companion fare, honestly, especially under RTD's tenure - it was only Classic and Moffat that really had multi-season companions

Not a classic companion, and I thought her writing was dull as dishwater, but Yaz could be a great fit for the UNIT spin-off.