Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm hoping for a giant train wreck that'll at least be entertaining. Hopefully Jodie won't be the third straight Doctor wasted on terrible scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Episode 10 will end with a 1-800 number to call in and vote for your favorite personality. The contest results will be widely invalidated when it's discovered that one man called the number 900 times.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hahaha oh god this is going to be a trainwreck. Of course Moffat felt the need to address the issue head-on instead of just treating it like a normal thing that happens.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Senor Tron posted:

"We cater to white trade only".

Could be quite a full on episode.

Weren’t there rumors the first ep was set in Joburg?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Well, they're shooting in Cape Town right now...

Somehow I missed that leak

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Oh.

Oh, no.

This can't possibly end well.

Please tell me that aren’t trying to do something involving Rosa Parks. I do not trust Chibnall to handle something like that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

Looks that way, the bus matches:

This could get offensive real fast if it falls into a "Doctor inspired Rosa" / white savior trope, or if aliens / monsters were somehow involved.
This has the potential to be DW’s “Spock shot JFK”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

2house2fly posted:

Could also be something like historical events being messed up and the Doctor having to make sure things go as they're meant to, a la Back To The Future 2.

This would still be pretty bad

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The only way it would even approach being okay is if The Doctor & Co. are just there as observers because one of them wanted to see it happen. If they have any kind of influence on the actual events in the episode, it’ll be a shitshow.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Clip, via Reddit

Sonic

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I dig the little volcano theme he has in his pinned tweet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

So there's a lot of 50s/60s americana shots in there. Montgomery motor pool, the motel (making me wonder if they're going full MLK too).

This is honestly the episode I’m dreading most because there’s such a low chance of it being handled in a respectful manner. If it’s anything more involved than The Doctor & Co. watching and observing moments in history, then it’s going to be a shitshow.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m getting a steampunk coral vibe from the interior and I’m not crazy about it. It looks like a rusted pocket watch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think I like her burgundy tee more than the grey one, but they’re both fantastic. 13 was always going to be a popular choice for cosplayers, but I think the apparent comfortability is definitely going to help. Love the coat, love the tees, love the boots. I’m only iffy about the capri(?) pants. Really digging the whole 80’s look though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dragonfire sequel lookin’ weird

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The size of Smith’s first console room really helped sell the size of the Tardis in general. My biggest issue with his second room/Capaldi’s is how cramped everything is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like the general look of it, but it feels too spread out. The console doesn’t feel central to the room, and the whole thing feels like one big rectangular room.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I feel like any attempt at “someone’s trying to disrupt Rosa Parks’ protest and only The Doctor can help!” is going to come across as a really gross attempt at inserting your fictional character into an extremely sensitive and important historical matter. I don’t think there’s a writer alive skilled enough to pull that off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Matinee posted:

In a way, is that not been what Doctor Who has always been about?

Sure, but it’s one thing to say your fictional character fought alongside Richard the Lionheart, it’s entirely another to say Rosa Parks’ protest would have failed without them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d love to see them do a modern version of the grey/blue or white/gold color schemes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d like to see a T2 style episode where Earth scientists try to replicate a Dalek they can control for the military and 13 has to destroy it.

Although isn’t that more or less the 2005 episode? I haven’t watched it in years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

If there are any lovely strains of MST3K fandom, please don't tell me about them

Take a gander at any Facebook post regarding the new Tom Servo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

i already knew, that's kind of stretching the

gently caress, i didn

GOD drat IT PEOPLE WHAT DID I JUST SAY

To give another soul-crushing example;
This week the guy in charge of Hasbro’s Star Wars toy division was promoted and given a new position that oversees more than just SW toys. The official Star Wars site posted an interview with his replacement, who happened to be a woman, and in it they said all the same kind of things about the toy line that the previous guy had said, gave info about upcoming stuff etc. Really nothing even notable aside from a changing of the guard. I’ll give you three guesses as to what an absolutely embarrassing number of the Facebook comments on that post were whining about.

So yes, when people lose their poo poo over a woman being put in charge of toys, I have no problem assuming there’s a toxic portion of the fanbase for literally anything. There’s probably angry, toxic Jeopardy! fans out there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

I don't like how Gypsy hangs from the ceiling now. Does this make me a bad person? FLOOR OR NOTHING!

:agreed:

I also don’t like any of her theater riffs thus far because none of them have landed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wasn’t there some Frankenstein update that he shaved his head for? Did that ever come out?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Seek help, OP

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Oh my god yes

I kinda dig Tennant’s new look as an inverse of his old brown coat/blue suit look

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I dunno, Ten being a giant selfish rear end in a top hat before regenerating was the only time I found him interesting instead of just grating. Not sure I’d want him to get any kind of redemption around that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jisforjosh posted:

The Master regenerates into the 10th Doctor because we need Tennant as a villain

This would be great and I really want to see it now.

MasterTen, looking in a mirror:
“Finally, a convincing disguise!”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
IIRC it was the very first filmed 11 story, specifically so that when Smith filmed The Eleventh Hour he’d already have a feel for 11’s personality.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Five Doctors 2: This Time Matt’s the Mannequin

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Updog Scully posted:

Out-of-nowhere casting announcement:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1536392961600126976?s=20&t=TztXEGtPeRWDtCP9mGqZJQ

RTD's Instagram says he's playing "the greatest enemy the Doctor has ever faced", so must be a pretty great enemy.

No thank you

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm honestly onboard for it, his role in the new Matrix movie is extremely Doctor Who villain

I hated it, tbh. He only ever seems to play varying degrees of the same character in everything I’ve seen him in.

He also just seems like a gigantic prick overall.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Please please please give me Sly strolling out of an exploding circus tent again

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Gotta say, I still love the Last Cyberman and CyberLords designs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hell yeah, the diamond rules.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
By the time he says the line, Tennant had definitely worn out his welcome. Even just within that one special, I was more than ready to see him leave when he dropped that last stinker of a line.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m still holding out hope that 14 is actually a big misdirect that won’t be around very long, but the cynic in me knows it’s just a desperate bid to regain viewers before Ncuti.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Man, assuming the leaks are most likely correct now, I really hate the idea of the first (series lead anyway) black Doctor a) having to exist while Tennant 2.0 also still exists and b) not getting 14’s Tardis but instead having to use his Toymaker victory wish to create his own Tardis. It feels really cowardly to not just have Gatwa be the only current Doctor and to instead have Tennant stick around for other adventures at the same time. You’re forcing Gatwa to start what should be his era as The Doctor while under the shadow of an older very popular Doctor. Not to mention all the right wing culture warrior horseshit practically writes itself and will be inescapable, “he’s not the REAL doctor!” “it’s not the REAL Tardis!” etc.

That loving sucks. Just make 14 regenerate into 15 and bring Tennant back the traditional way whenever you want MultiDoc shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Szmitten posted:

I did read per RTD he had Tennant regenerate with a costume because he didn't want Tennant to be seen wearing womens' clothes and appear laughable (which is weird to say in general with the overall LGBT lean but especially since Whitaker's costume wasn't particularly feminine to begin with??) so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if having Gatwa materialise in his own body instead of overwriting Tennant is due to some similarly weird "it'd look like Tennant in blackface for two frames" neurosis.

But to be entirely fair, we haven't seen it and the execution might be better than it reads. Because loving surely to gently caress, right?

Smith to Capaldi consisted of a violent sneeze and instant regeneration, there’s definitely already previously-established ways to go from Tennant to Gatwa without having to worry about accidental blackface during the fx transition.