Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
I finally gave in and watched the recorded (PVR) Christmas episode.

<sigh> what a dreary, dreadful, non-event of an episode. There was literally nothing in this episode to recommend to either a dedicated who fan or casual observer.

The final Christmas Carol armistice seemed rather tacked-on "just to make it a Christmas episode" kind of thing. To me, the whole episode just reeked of "phoning it in". No so much the actors, though nothing really was outstanding in that dept, but the writing was so dreadfully mundane.

I do agree with many who think the writing of the first doctor was quite extraordinarily "out of character". I managed to watch all of the 1st doctor episodes that were available for rebroadcast long ago (the first time they covered ALL the doctors up to 8 on PBS - Boston). This actor was not portraying anything close to the first doctor. He was portraying a caricature of the 1st doctor as seen by some fanboy with some bizarre chauvinist axe to grind. Weird and very unsettling.

As for the new doctor... we'll have to wait and see. I have such low expectations of Chibnal as literally *anything* that I'm almost optimistic that there might be a glimmer of OK in next season. Time will tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Riptor posted:

I mean it's not a spoiler yet it's in the spoiler thread. Thought that was frowned upon

Sorry. I lost track of the other threads. Seems they start a new one every time someone goes to the bathroom. This thread is one of the few that actually hangs around.