Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

One day, we'll know all the secrets of the skies, and we'll stop our wanderings.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He's playing and older First Doctor on the brink, and I think he does a good job personally.

Yeah, the fact that this is the Doctor, drained after his encounter with the Cybermen and Mondas, right on the edge of regenerating for the first time, accounts for at least some of the "vaguely out of it and upset"ness at least, I think. Though on the other hand, he was fairly indignant right before the point where we're picking up from:

"What did you say, my boy? 'It's all over.' That's what you said. No, but it isn't all over. It's far from being all over!"

I still don't think what we've seen so far is really capturing the spirit of Hartnell's Doctor, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't enjoyed that clip all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

One day, we'll know all the secrets of the skies, and we'll stop our wanderings.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Moffat hosed up the First Doctor's characterization and leaned too heavily into the whole "the 60s were sexist" shtick. A pity.

This is such a loving garbage idea. Why not go all in and have him be racist and homophobic towards Bill while you're at it if you're poo poo on the first Doctor so much?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

King Plum the Nth posted:

Canonical wardrobes aside, I'm hoping she opts for my personal favorite occasional habit of the Doctor's. Just straight up stealing her kit from some luckless chump at a hospital. Pertwee, McGann, and Smith all just walked away with someone else's clothes. (Am I forgetting anyone?) I've always found that hilarious. Kick things off with a little petty larceny.

Troughton just made off with Hartnell's clothes

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

The lines in question:

quote:

“He’s a nurse.” / “A little improbably, because he’s a man.”
“Older gentlemen, like women, can be put to use.”
“This whole place could do with a good dusting. Obviously Polly isn’t around anymore.”
“He clearly misses you; that ship of his is in dire need of a good spring cleaning.”
“Aren’t all ladies made of glass, in a way?”
1 makes a shocked face when he says “I have some experience of the fairer sex” and Bill says “Me too.”
“If I hear any more language like that from you, young lady, you’re in for a jolly good smacked bottom.”

Just, loving, urgh.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

Burkion posted:

That's because it's not.

That's a stupid person's idea of what a sexist 1960s man would say to an uppity child.

I mean, he did do exactly that to Susan, and while that's problematic in its own right at least the dynamic there was guardian/child. Which, again, not big on smacking kids, but it's an entirely different kettle of fish to just having him threaten to smack any mouthy girl he comes across. He never did it to Vicki or Polly so dragging it back out is a bit rubbish

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

No, you're right. I think the whole thing is absolutely gross. Reacting that way to Bill is particularly egregious when Big Finish have already shown us how this Doctor as a character views homosexuality.

Just saying, while the smacking thing is garbage too, at least it has a modicum of basis in the show itself instead of just saying "well he was made in the 60s so let's make him sexist lol" like the rest of it

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

You're right, the only Doctor to have had a woman showrunner, whose first story was directed by a gay Indian man, is definitely the one to hit as an example of historical systemic issues regarding minorities.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

especially from the showrunner who had his Doctor force himself on a married lesbian woman

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

Well, with no longer having pockets on her clothes she has to keep all the random poo poo previous Doctors stashed in theirs somewhere...

Bum bag aside, I really like the costume seeing it that way

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

The clip was good, though we'll obviously need to see more beyond the post regeneration weirdness to really get a feel for her Doctor overall.

I really want a trailer so we can see the new outfit in motion. I already like the look of it but I'd really like to see it in more than just photos

And how good is that accent

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

Her coat and boots are so cool. I'm not the kind of person that goes to things where one might cosplay but I want to cosplay her real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

I'm a bit cool on it at the moment but with the right ambient lighting it'll probably look great