Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oh sweet. Ten extra-long episodes all written solely by Chris Chibnall. I cannot wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

That was fairly funny. I liked "what do you mean, one?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He called it that once or twice, yeah

quote:

DOCTOR: What did you say, my boy? It's all over. It's all over. That's what you said. No, but it isn't all over. It's far from being all over.
BEN: What are you taking about?
DOCTOR: I must get back to the Tardis immediately!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That line is somber but the Doctor casually revealing the future and just steamrolling past it with "sorry, spoilers" is funny. Apart from the tone I also like that the line parallels Bradley's Doctor, who I can imagine saying "what do you mean the first Doctor?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

quote:

Maybe seeing the whole span of his life as a man, seeing himself as the Hartnell Doctor, might make him think maybe it’s time to be a bit more progressive.
oh Steven, mate, please don't make a big meal out of this

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He's the Brigadier's dad and somehow Capaldi saved the Brigadier's dad's life ensuring the Brigadier would be born even though you can't use Capaldi to make a causal loop because he's the result of the future being changed Steven Moffat you idiotic hack!!!!!!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Moffat has pretty much confirmed in (I think) a radio times interview that the Doctors big takeaway from the events of the episode is going to be "I have always been a damned sexist man, and so I will now live as a woman"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Moffat likes to relate the show to the real world, so playing up the first doctor's outdated attitudes contrasts the attitudes of the real world at the time with how far we've come now that a woman is playing the title role and a female prime minister is catapulting the country towards ruin. It's an optimistic message with hope that progressive attitudes will continue both in the show and in the real world, and also an absolutely wretchedly bad sounding idea that I really hope is made up for by other good things in the episode

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I haven't watched too much First Doctor but it doesn't really seem in character for him to threaten to smack someone's bottom

E:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It smacks of Moffat arrogance. "Look how much more progressive MY doctor is."

Hoping it's bullshit.

The point is to set up the upcoming female Doctor, who he won't be writing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

King Plum the Nth posted:

/\ not arguing just cant recall -- when was that?

"The Crimson Horror" by Mark Gatiss.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Steven Moffat To Smack The Bottom End Of Viewer Expectations With His Final Christmas Special

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Why would they be three different characters, rather than the same one in three different situations?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Could also be something like historical events being messed up and the Doctor having to make sure things go as they're meant to, a la Back To The Future 2. At my most generous, maybe the aim is to make more historical/educational type shows and do stuff like teach kids about the civil rights movement

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The real Rosa Parks has been killed by Daleks and we have to get a body double on the bus quick

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think the reasoning behind it was the thing that makes Steven Moffat look worst. As I hate him personally, that makes a lot of sense to me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Good cover

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well, for one it could be educational

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Clip seems fine, whatever. Doesn't seem too far from something Moffat would write. I scoffed at "the sonic is awful" because how bad could it possibly look, and then I loaded up the picture of the sonic and... ah

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Shneak posted:

Those are her companions right?

Two cops? Way to read the room, Chibnall

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

I'm just

Thinking of the Power of Three

that really needed to be a two parter...

It needed to be a no-parter

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Lol I don't know what I was expecting but drat. It's in keeping with the sonic screwdriver at least

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I feel like any attempt at “someone’s trying to disrupt Rosa Parks’ protest and only The Doctor can help!” is going to come across as a really gross attempt at inserting your fictional character into an extremely sensitive and important historical matter. I don’t think there’s a writer alive skilled enough to pull that off.

Counterpoint: in the 2004 Stephen King novel Song Of Susannah(set at some point in the 1990s I think), the main characters find themselves unable to destroy an evil magical object, so they store it in a lockbox in New York. They joke that maybe the object would be destroyed if the whole building they're storing it in fell on it, then it's revealed they stored it in one of the Twin Towers

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dabir posted:

no, the pope kevin eldon

also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04NfM2s-zc8

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well, you can't rush quality.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dalek leaning against the crack on Trenzalore: "HIS! NAME! HIS! NAME! IS! THE! DOCTOR! ALL! THE! NAME! HE! NEEDS!. EVERYTHING! YOU-"

Time Lord General on the other side: "OK please just toss him some regeneration energy and close this thing up, I'm getting a headache"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well, you'll never guess which political party Mike Nelson votes for

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I know this isn't really spoiler territory, but there's something that's been nagging me ever since the last Christmas Special came out... why the gently caress did Rusty decide that he should actually kill the Doctor at that point??!

Probably because he's a complete psycho whackjob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

cargohills posted:

I'm sceptical that they'd do so little to redesign it.

Well, the last Dalek redesign didn't go too well