Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

Oh sweet. Ten extra-long episodes all written solely by Chris Chibnall. I cannot wait.

quote:

The main narrative thrust for the series will be the Doctor(s) trying to put themselves back together again; each of them will have a distinct personality and they are able to communicate, so we get a multi-Doctor experience with only one Doctor.

This seems like a horrible idea. We have a new Doctor and the first season is always dicey as the actor, writers and us try to figure out this new Doctor's personality.

So instead we will have 3 different new personalities, none of which may be the "actual" Doctor as she will end up. Not a great introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I can’t hate that at all. I always love inter-Doctor bickering, and this is no exception.

"I AM YOUNGER!!!!!"

This is gonna be awesome, gently caress the hatas. I could watch 90 minutes of just those two in the TARDIS arguing and comparing notes.

Also for anyone saying the characterization of 1 is off, remember he's himself supposed to be very close to regeneration himself. He's probably in quite A Mood, same as 12.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Was "I'd say stop being an idiot but I kinda know what's coming" a dig at 2?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Moffat talks to the Radio Times about the Xmas special.

Brief description of the Christmas Special’s opening including a ‘Previously on...’ for Tenth Planet!

I’m honestly so looking forward to this.

quote:

At the New York ComicCon last year someone was asking me about which Doctors I wanted to be in The Day of the Doctor. And the Doctor you’d really like to meet the modern Doctor is the William Hartnell Doctor because he’s moved on so much, because that would be the entire span of the character’s life. The first Doctor would be so shocked that he is going to become this strutting megalomaniac. And so I said, “But we can’t do it,” and then Peter said, “We could get David Bradley.” “Oh yeah…!”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lots of planets have a...Yorkshire?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

"We cater to white trade only".

Could be quite a full on episode.

Blatent socially acceptable racism of the mid 20th century is something Doctor Who has been tackling since 1989.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

True, but it aired for me on PBS in 89.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

cargohills posted:

It was a fan-made prop that someone brought along, apparently.

Wow, Capaldi just can't stay away, can he?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pgroce posted:

It fills me with dread, personally. If they’re deluded enough to think Rosa Parks is a sensible setting for a BBC show with a white protagonist, why won’t they gently caress up British colonialism in India? (Or worse, whitesplaining India’s internal class issues, whether Britain’s in there or not.)

I’ll be glad if I’m proven wrong and these are both handled sensitively, but I have a hard time seeing what that looks like in either case, let alone both in the same season. Even the decision to take them on feels entitled.

Dread? Really?

Are people so terrified that Doctor Who will do something racist and they will have to BOYCOTT IT FOREVER that the show can no longer depict Earth history at all because the actor and showrunner are white?

Do you have zero confidence that white writers and actors can show any culture but their own without being devastatingly racist?

If this is the case then the show should just be cancelled now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh what a surprise, Bicyclops tells me my opinion is Objectively Wrong.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Speaking as a white dude, we haven't exactly had a great track record on either side of the Atlantic when it comes to that.

Do you feel only a POC or a person from a certain nation can write for that group? Can people only write for their ancestors? Are we at a point where as long as Chibnall is showrunner the show can only do white, British history and space stuff?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're doing a lot of straw manning recently over people being concerned about whether a Very White BBC programme can handle issues of historical racism with class and poise.

The reasons people are concerned are pretty obvious - a poor history of (British) television (and, recently, Doctor Who in particular) with racial issues either historical or contemporary; the rise of far right views being acceptable to present in a public forum; Chibnall's personal lack of nuance when writing for the Doctor Who universe.

Furthermore, being unoptimistic is a very very different statement to "I will boycott it forever if Doctor Who does anything racist" - especially because (as intimated above) anyone who boycotted the show forever if it was racist wouldn't still be watching it after The Zygon Inversion.

Please try to approach this issue with a bit of nuance, rather than flying off the handle like an entitled child. In addition, I'll note that your sniping about this has also appeared in the main thread - would it hurt you to keep your toys in the spoiler thread pram, rather than talking obliquely about spoilers in the non-spoiler thread?

Nuance? I'm not the one getting all and worked up with Dread over a hypothetical racist episode that hasn't occurred yet. The reason I say people will BOYCOTT WHO FOREVER is I assume they are worried that if the show is deemed horribly racist they'll have to stop watching. And your smug backseat modding note has been noted and you can be sure I'll take it under advisement with all the due weight it deserves.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Let's reverse this: What about Chibnall's track record makes you confident that he CAN handle the kind of topics that concern has been raised about, and do so without a Peter Harness-esque tin ear?

Broadchurch?

And my first and largest concern is that he can handle Doctor Who period. There's a lot he can gently caress up on the series besides just "insensitive depictions of non-British historical cultures."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You seem awfully defensive about this.

I just think it's crazy that for some (I qualify this before Bicyclops and MrL_JaKiri indignantly post that THEY never said this) there is becoming an unwritten rule that people can only write for people of the same gender, sexuality, race or historical nationality as themselves without being dogpiled on as problematic. And I'm not the only one:

https://screenrant.com/black-panthe...g-people-color/

Having people write from their own experience is great. It shouldn't mean they can only write for that without being suspect.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Astrodude, your weird obsession with this issue has no bearing on the current complaint, which is that writing space aliens, in particular, white British ones, into the Civil Rights era is a bad idea. Whatever the Doctor does to save the day will appear either embarrassingly silly or condescending (in a way which erases the accomplishments of important historical figures) against the backdrop. The reason you anticipate that people will say "I didn't actually say that" is because you never actually engage with what people are saying when this kind of thing comes up.

I searched a couple of people's posts, and you are, I am fairly certain, the first person to use the word "racist" to describe the episode (I use the word to describe the supporters of segregation, and facetiously to apply it to the Zygons instead of the real human people; I'm the only one). You are so horribly incapable of having an original thought on this topic that you continuously put words in people's mouths so that you can have the same circular argument. You don't like listening, so you argue against a shrill, abstract phantom of your own creation.

If you would like to discuss why you think it could be brilliant to insert a time traveling space wizard and a set of bad guy aliens who are a variation on the pod people trope into one of America's flashbulb memories with regard to its original sin, feel free to discuss that, instead of embarking on your usual crusade against the grand artistic censorship of people of privilege writing for the oppressed.

Well you should have searched better, because I was responding to pgroce's post about the India episode.

I also never said I was all for inserting a time traveling space wizard and a set of bad guy aliens who are a variation on the pod people trope into one of America's flashbulb memories with regard to its original sin. I said it's dumb to get hyperbolically filled with dread and worry assuming offense over an episode which hasn't happened yet. See, you put words into my mouth there.

AndyElusive posted:

I hope Rosa Parks ends up being a Zygon.

At this point, so do I, if only for the spectacle of the meltdowns that will occur.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Not sure how I feel about the sonic, but it is different, which could be good. I'm a traditionalist with most things (ASK me about my Hot Takes on ENT and DISCO snd continuity of uniforms in the Trek thread) but I don't mind seeing some small things shaken up.

Love the goggles when she's in Work-Mode.

Between that and the clip there's nothing yet so far to indicate that she and Chibnall don't Get It, which is a helluva lot more than I could say at this point in DISCO leaks a few years ago...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Neither of these things concerns me. They can always come back.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Just to confirm, the new console room design hasn't come out yet, has it?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What are the round things?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HD DAD posted:

If you were a teen circa 2002, you were mercilessly made fun of if your pants/trousers did this. Now it’s in for some reason.

See also socks with sandals. Kids these days

Bicyclops posted:

Sorta hard to tell what to think from the two shots I can see. I'll wait to reserve judgement.

At first I wanted to say it was going to be a smaller console room, more intimate than 11/12s, more like 9/10s, because the console was so close to the door. But upon looking at shots of the most recent one online, the console was pretty close to the doors from some angles so

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MEANWHILE AT THE FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the sort of dark, sterile control room from that evil TARDIS from "The Lodger".

That never went anywhere, did it? Like we never even knew where that was from, because it was onto the cracks and A Plot.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Personally I can't wait for the moment some racist white American expects Bradley Walsh to be a fellow racist and Walsh tells them in no uncertain terms to go

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Aliens are trying to change history to make Rosa Parks more successful. Racism is gone by 1980, but this leads to a nuclear war by 2022. Can the Doctor and her friends join the side of the racists to keep racism alive in the US for another 50 years? Find out on the exciting new episode of Doctor Who, Rosa!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

There was a screening of the new years special this evening. Spoilers indicate that the returning alien is a Slitheen. There's an extended farting sequence, supposed to be brilliant.

In all seriousness though, it's a Dalek, as had been widely speculated. Apparently it's an Earth origined Dalek though, whatever that means.

The episode itself is getting good reviews for what it's worth.

"THESE DAL-EKS WILL HAVE THE HU-MAN FAC-TOR!"

Also,

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently this is the Dalek from the NY special. It’s a new style one, but painted silver with blue bumps like a Hartnell classic.

I...hate that a lot less than when they were yellow and red and poo poo?

I dunno. It's a step in the right direction, at least from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

"HEARTBREAKING - Dalek has to take on warehouse job to make ends meet"