Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Whittaker actually rocks that Capaldi costume, to be honest. I like her new costume too, but I wouldn't mind if she kept Capaldi's wardrobe for an episode or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

That... doesn't sound very credible to me. But we'll see. I'll probably be proven wrong.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

He's not impersonating Hartnell, and that's for the best. He's playing and older First Doctor on the brink, and I think he does a good job personally.

To be honest, considering the tone of this adventure versus the first time One was a guest, I also think Moffat made the right choice characterization-wise.

A melancholic look at the end of Capaldi's run, the first of a new generation of Doctors, reflected in a melancholic First Doctor, who has to confront the idea of having to leave and isn't quite as self-assured and energetic as before.

P.S. "Replacement" was always a bad word to use IMO. It almost feels like it's breaking the fourth wall and puts too much stress on the idea of the actor changing, rather than the character itself.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

From the reviews I'm reading (and spoiler impressions online based on the advance screenings):

Moffat hosed up the First Doctor's characterization and leaned too heavily into the whole "the 60s were sexist" shtick. A pity.

The Captain is a Lethbridge-Stewart.

The story is actually pretty straightforward.

I don't think anyone has been able to see the regeneration scene yet, so no idea of how Whittaker starts her days as The Doctor.

There's a Clara cameo.

As far as I remember we need no spoiler tags for this thread, but I spoilered the least vague stuff just in case.

EDIT: I actually rewrote part of the message so the last part didn't really make a lot of sense compared to what I'd actually spoilered, so I clarified.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at Dec 17, 2017 around 19:21

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I should say that opinions vary on whether Moffat nailed it or not with the First Doctor, I'm just extrapolating based on the fact that every review I've seen mentions repeated jokes on his "politically incorrect" attitudes on women. E.g. : http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/twice-...eview-86499.htm

I agree with most people here that it's a bad idea, but who knows, maybe it'll turn out alright. Probably not.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The thing that sucks about that leaked idea is that she'll have different personalities in each incarnation, meaning we'll have no idea what her character is actually supposed to be.

The "leak" was based on a Radio Times article reveal that never happened, so I doubt it's true.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

That's what the "leak" said. The Doctor splits in three different versions of herself in three different timelines. I think it's rather obvious that isn't the case by now, though we might see the Doctor stuck on Earth for a very long time, which might be interesting.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The best way I think this could be done is to just use the setting as a backdrop for an unrelated story. Allows the Doctor to comment about it and maybe ties into the themes, but without tying directly into the events, which would be tasteless and irresponsible.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

A Fred Gray (incidentally, the name of the lawyer of Rosa Parks) was spotted as a role in Doctor Who in one actor's CV, so it looks like even more confirmation Chibnall wants to go there.

Really, really scared the writing team is going to gently caress it up, but let's hope they don't?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I hope new Dalek design means just a slight refresh like the classic to RTD era transition. I mean, it's an incredibly dated design and yes, it's not scary in the slightest, but I don't think I could see the Daleks as Daleks if they didn't look like saltshakers at this point.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I could easily have seen this work as a track during the whimsical moments of the Eleventh Doctor's era: https://soundcloud.com/segunakinola/dna

I'm sure Akinola will do just fine.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The BBC isn't happy about the leaks: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/bbc-su...eaker-87657.htm

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The sonic screwdriver leaks were clearly screenshots of another scene. I dunno if anything else ever came out in full length, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I guess the Thirteenth Doctor has super-speed powers, judging from how that teaser trailer is shot.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

A new trailer that actually shows some footage from the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEc-OQ_oqDk

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

First episode is 1 hour and the others are 50 minutes, if I recall correctly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

EDIT: nevermind, I literally should have just checked a post above the last one... cool shots though!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I'm pretty sure we saw another picture when it looked pretty different thanks to the lights, so I wouldn't worry too much?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I mean.. I'm a big fan of NuWho experimenting with the Tardis design, and I feel like, while cool, Smith No2/Capaldi's Tardis interior played it a bit too safe (plus, it didn't feel like a complete set until they added furniture).

This one might be a big failure, but at least they tried something new.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rumor right now is that the New Year special is going to feature the return of the Daleks

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

You know it's just going to be a Dalek and it's going to be the Eccleston episode all over again in terms of setup.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Remember when people thought this was a deep concept, meaningfully distinct from when Davis did it better a decade earlier?

I know this isn't really spoiler territory, but there's something that's been nagging me ever since the last Christmas Special came out... why the gently caress did Rusty decide that he should actually kill the Doctor at that point??!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Supposedly there's a track in the soundtrack called "Rebuilt" and the theory floating around is that the Dalek in that picture is the Dalek as it fell to Earth, and that in the episode it's gonna rebuild itself (therefore getting a new design).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Latest rumblings are that the picture is actually fake, for what it's worth.