Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Side note: Capaldi is older than Hartnell was when he left the programme (which is a massive 17 years younger than David Bradley is now)

Other side note: I agree with Burkion, it's not very well characterised

Dabir posted:

So it's a bit like Jubilee.

City of Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

North still works; Yorkshire is Northern.

More northern than bloody Lancashire

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Eiba posted:

If they're dialing up the sexism of the character to comment on the era and how times have changed: good.

No, not good. In fact very bad for three reasons.

The first is that it does a disservice to the people making the programme in the sixties (as mentioned, it's the only time the programme has had a female producer for a start).
The second is that it's terrible for the programme, as this is a story that a large number of non-regular viewers will watch.

The third, and most important, reason is that it's straight out of the sexism-apologist playbook. The "the only sexism is the overt "Women should only be in the kitchen" sexism" playbook. The "sexism no longer exists" playbook. By equating historical sexism with only the big stuff it enables lower key, more subtle, sexists to get away with their poo poo.

Then again, a lot of viewers praised the episode where the young woman of colour had medical experiments done on her to make the old white man feel bad. This audience may not be the best at judging tone.

King Plum the Nth posted:

reading a Target novelization of the earliest Docs? Isn't he an avowed fan of the show?

He's also someone that said

"When I look back at Doctor Who now, I laugh at it fondly. As a television professional, I think ‘How did these guys get a paycheque every week?’. Nothing from the black and white days, with the exception of the pilot episode, should have got out of the building. They should have been clubbing those guys to death. You’ve got an old guy in the lead who can’t remember his lines. You’ve got Patrick Troughton, who was a good actor, but his companions – how did they get their Equity card? They’re unimaginably bad. Once you get to the colour stuff, some of it’s watchable, but it’s laughable. Mostly now, looking back, I’m startled by it. Given that it’s a teatime show, a children’s show, I think most of the Peter Davison stuff is well-constructed, the directors are consistent."

Then again he's always come across as someone who has very fragile masculinity. There's that story that Lawrence Miles told where Larry was discussion Bagpuss (an absolutely marvellous children's programme, like all of Oliver Postgate's stuff) and Moffat came over just to sneer at it and then left, a story which I doubt less and less as the years go by.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It should be examined, but there's also a benefit to having some things be pure escapism. Sexism and racism affects a lot of people every day, and in ways that's difficult to ignore; not everything has to remind them that it exists.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Well, it's certainly a reason to make the sexism of the central character an issue that perhaps should not be covered.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pesky Splinter posted:

Moffat's clearly "referencing" ideas from older Who again :v::

Sharples, like Moffat, was also a sitcom writer

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, as an American it's going to be uh...interesting to see a British take on the civil rights movement. Moffat gave Nixon a much more kindlier treatment that he deserved.

He gave Churchill a much kinder treatment than he deserved too

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Dread? Really? :rolleyes:

Are people so terrified that Doctor Who will do something racist and they will have to BOYCOTT IT FOREVER that the show can no longer depict Earth history at all because the actor and showrunner are white?

Do you have zero confidence that white writers and actors can show any culture but their own without being devastatingly racist?

If this is the case then the show should just be cancelled now.

You're doing a lot of straw manning recently over people being concerned about whether a Very White BBC programme can handle issues of historical racism with class and poise.

The reasons people are concerned are pretty obvious - a poor history of (British) television (and, recently, Doctor Who in particular) with racial issues either historical or contemporary; the rise of far right views being acceptable to present in a public forum; Chibnall's personal lack of nuance when writing for the Doctor Who universe.

Furthermore, being unoptimistic is a very very different statement to "I will boycott it forever if Doctor Who does anything racist" - especially because (as intimated above) anyone who boycotted the show forever if it was racist wouldn't still be watching it after The Zygon Inversion.

Please try to approach this issue with a bit of nuance, rather than flying off the handle like an entitled child. In addition, I'll note that your sniping about this has also appeared in the main thread - would it hurt you to keep your toys in the spoiler thread pram, rather than talking obliquely about spoilers in the non-spoiler thread?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Oh what a surprise, Bicyclops tells me my opinion is Objectively Wrong. :rolleyes:

Do you feel only a POC or a person from a certain nation can write for that group? Can people only write for their ancestors? Are we at a point where as long as Chibnall is showrunner the show can only do white, British history and space stuff?

Nuance? I'm not the one getting all :ohdear: and worked up with Dread over a hypothetical racist episode that hasn't occurred yet. The reason I say people will BOYCOTT WHO FOREVER is I assume they are worried that if the show is deemed horribly racist they'll have to stop watching. And your smug backseat modding note has been noted and you can be sure I'll take it under advisement with all the due weight it deserves.

Get over yourself, dude

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Badly lit/shot sets always look like poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BSam posted:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11/doctor-who-episodes-nine-and-ten.html

Looking forward to Kevin Eldon playing a non-animated character in Doctor Who.

The Actor Kevin Eldon?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I know this isn't really spoiler territory, but there's something that's been nagging me ever since the last Christmas Special came out... why the gently caress did Rusty decide that he should actually kill the Doctor at that point??!

I got confused here and thought we were talking about Journey's End

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.facebook.com/autonstyle

These guys used to be down the road from me (until I moved)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, it's slightly campy, but it doesn't seem worth the reaction.

Yeah, especially given that the quality of the title is entirely independent of the quality of the story (compare City of Death to Nightmare of Eden)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I like TBB (much more so than The Eleventh Hour), although am always slightly offput by the wipes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

JohnnyQPublic posted:

that did that with Baker in the 25th special (the 5 Doctors)....they just used a random clip from an episode and said he was stuck in time

It was from the unfinished Shada, so wasn't just taking a clip from a previous transmitted story

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Being completely unfamiliar with the character, and only knowing the term "Celestial" from its Marvel Comics context, what makes the character problematic, and how was the term used as a synonym for that?

I don't understand the question, really. "How was the term used as a synonym for Chinese"? By using it as a synonym for "Chinese" ("The Celestial Empire" being an archaic term for China). What makes the character problematic? He's a white guy in yellowface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Since ios17, autocorrect has been a nightmare.

Not just ios, the Android autocorrect keeps on changing real words into misspelled ones for me