Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
I would love a part in the team, I am not that well versed in C++ or the BSD kernel, but I can imagine if we all work together we can build something cool.

There are fun times to be had!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
reserved for new years!

Goonerousity fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 13, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

If I start the wiki do I have to rewrite it in C++ too? Because that's a lot of work for an ideas guy like me.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Why though

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah

Aunt Beth posted:

Why though

You can do fun stuff with inheritence, and polymorphism. instead of waiting for messages you can subclass (i think thats the word) whatevers pointing to whatever is in memory and overload stuff.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Here's a little something to get you started
code:
int main() 
{
   //todo
}

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have some pseudo code you can adapt into cpp:
code:
Start Loop
Wait for Inputs
If ins put, then process data
Output Results
Repeat
HTH, and god bless. No need to thank me!

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
Alright guys, we're off to a decent start. Someone start writing code and post it on github.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh, just had a thought! Why not rewrite it into python?? That way you can run it platform agnostically!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I took a high school course on VB6, I’ll write the scheduler.

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah

Arivia posted:

Are you aware that I've taken college classes..?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

I’ve made schedules in Excel before. Can’t we just use that? No need to reinvent the wheel.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*in extremely hackernews voice* why not do it in rust?

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah

OWLS! posted:

*in extremely hackernews voice* why not do it in rust?

Because swift or rust or go or whatever you're trying to sell me, pal, and I've taken college courses, and those programming languages can go gently caress themselves.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Please remember to compile to funroll-loops

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be here in the corner OPTIMIZING all of y'alls code into x86 ASM.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

I'll be here in the corner OPTIMIZING all of y'alls code into x86 ASM.
What a waste of time. x86 is dead. Everyone knows ARM is the future.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I will join the project and change all of the man page output so that it pipes through cowsay by default. This cements us as a serious team but that we don't take ourselves too serious.

Also we should not totally use systemd

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 14, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what any of these words mean, so I think I would be a good addition to the team

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I don't know what any of these words mean, so I think I would be a good addition to the team

Can we offer you the position of Lead Developer?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Da Mott Man posted:

Can we offer you the position of Lead Developer?

lead developer? is the position still open? because i have extensive experience eating paint chips

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Mofabio posted:

lead developer? is the position still open? because i have extensive experience eating paint chips

You can be our Product Evangelist.

The position comes with a signing bonus of 3 turtlenecks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm going to be an extremely prolific poster on the mailing list despite never contributing a line of code.

(or maybe, at most, I will contribute lovely patches that do not get accepted)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sorry OP, I can't take you seriously. In 2017 everyone who is posting on a forum about how they're totally really going to rewrite a kernel in another language is posting that they're going to do it in Rust.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
You should write it in haskell instead, op. People are very impressed by haskell.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
The real question we should be asking is if we can make this into an app. Everyone is using apps these days and I don’t know many people who are using BSD Kernels. I bet we could sell this if it was an app.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I speak English for 3 days

May I Documentation Lead please?

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

We are going to pivot into writing the kernel in Erlang aka Outlaw Techno Psychobitch. This move should increase the amount of people to contribute to the project.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Clearly the right answer is to write the kernel in javascript.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Clearly the right answer is to write the kernel in javascript.

Serious question time, could you even do such a thing?

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
Well since most of the dev team are ASSHOLES, i'll fork and rewrite it myself, then make a manifesto, then idk be the best parade maker in the world

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Serious question time, could you even do such a thing?

Most likely yes. There are OS-es (kernels and userspace) written in java and other languages. You would have to write a small bootstrapper in C and/or ASM, launch the v8 engine, but after that you'd be flying. Maybe. Probably. No idea.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

Most likely yes. There are OS-es (kernels and userspace) written in java and other languages. You would have to write a small bootstrapper in C and/or ASM, launch the v8 engine, but after that you'd be flying. Maybe. Probably. No idea.
Are these bootstrappers and v8 engines part of our core competency? Maybe we should hire a consultant to help us reevaluate the scope of this project and find some off the shelf software that we can customize to suit.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

Actuarial Fables posted:

Here's a little something to get you started
code:
int main() 
{
   //todo
}

I'm contributing!

code:
int main(int argc, char** argv, char** envp)
{
    //todo
}

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Volguus posted:

open this link and find the horror inside

I mean you could probably write a whole OS in JS since it's a Turing complete language and all, you'd just have to build most of the toolchain yourself and probably extend the language.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Just write a VM, it's quicker

https://vice.janicek.co/c64/programs/demos/?search=&page=1

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
BSD in C++??? It's called Mac/OS/X System 10.0, OP.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I heard this node.js thing is pretty popular. Let's schedule a meeting so we can discuss how to implement this vertically.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Faith For Two posted:

I'm contributing!

code:
{
    //todo
}

I'm from security and I am here to review your code. What is this #include business and are you creating a vulnerability with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Faith For Two posted:

I'm contributing!

code:
{
    //todo
}
I was about to chew you out for not returning 0 as expected but it seems that it will do it implicitly. You're safe for now.

• Locked thread