Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Problem description: MSE tells me that my virus and spyware definitions need to be updated. When I run the update, it repeatedly fails with a "Connection failed" error ("The virus and spyware definitions didn't update because of an internet or network connectivity error").

Attempted fixes: I've tried restarting and retrying the update. Then I tried downloading the update to install manually. I was able to download it, but the EXE doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried running it as an admin and running it from command line, but nothing happens.

I checked the system logs, and I found this interesting line associated with the failed update: "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." Google isn't helping me with this one.

Recent changes: Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about two weeks ago. I think this is the first time MSE has tried to update since upgrading my OS.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Haze
Nov 10, 2017
MSE should have uninstalled itself when you upgraded from Win7. I would roll back to Win7, remove MSE, perform the upgrade to Windows 10 a second time.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Holy Haze posted:

MSE should have uninstalled itself when you upgraded from Win7. I would roll back to Win7, remove MSE, perform the upgrade to Windows 10 a second time.

Oh, hm. I didn't realize that MSE wasn't supposed to be a part of Win10. I was able to uninstall without rolling back using this: https://scottiestech.info/2016/04/30/windows-10-cant-uninstall-microsoft-security-essentials-no-problem/. Thanks!

• Locked thread