Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jason Jordan?
This poll is closed.
I feel sorry for the guy 27 14.14%
He deserved it 9 4.71%
155 81.15%
Total: 191 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Jordon is like Big Cass is like Roman Reigns, WWE thinks in a tag team the break out single star is the big explosive hot tag so when they split them they mostly want to push that big move guy not realising they were carried by their partners (Gable, Enzo, Rollins).

If WWE owned NWA in the 80s they would've thought the singles talent in the Rock n Roll Express was Robert Gibson.

You mean like the bookers at the time thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Peak HHH probably had better matches but Hulk destroys him as a promo, as a drawing star, and in charisma. No contest

HHH's peak year in 2000 might be bigger than Hogan's peak in terms of money drawn, maybe. But obviously his peak was much shorter and a different era.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Over eighties Hogan and nWo Hogan?

2000 was an absolutely incredible year and the house show numbers were extraordinary. nWo Hogan did huge numbers on PPV but didn't do a lot of house shows, and WCW was really only outdrawing WWF in house shows for a short time. 2000 blew those years away on PPV. PPV obviously didn't really exist at Hogan's peak and at the end of his peak it wasn't the driving metric, but even in house shows 2000 outdrew it. But it was just over a year and Hogan was obviously a bigger star.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

it wasn't triple h drawing the money, if you smell what I'm cooking

He drew just as big with non Rock opponents, sorry.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Triple H was never the draw. He was the guy who fueded with the draw. Nobody was showing up to see him beat The Rock or Steve Austin

Crazy that literally everyone from late 99 until early 2001 was a draw other than HHH, Batista was the draw at WM and their Cell match and the entire 2002 Rumble which was built around HHH was actually not drawn by him. Also it's hilarious if you think the role of the heel is to make people want THE HEEL to win. Duh they are supposed to want to see him lose. (Batista owns and he contributed to their feud but he wasn't the only reason they did a million buys.)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 14, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jinder is such a big draw in India that WWE had cut the "tour" down from 2 shows to 1.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

Maybe this is just 'cause I haven't been watching week-to-week for more than about 18 months at this point so I totally missed poo poo like the Reign of Terror and the Authority but I feel like you guys are super overreacting on HHH. He's won, like, twice, in the last four years.

It just seems super obvious to me that he's in the "put people over" phase of his career and this is gonna lead to him losing to Jason Jordan. Then again, it was super obvious to me that he was gonna lose to Seth and I remember some of you guys thinking he'd win that match too, sooooo. :shrug:

Also, hey, they shortened that India thing to one show! What's that mean?

He and Stephanie (more Stephanie) are so often hegemonic figures on TV who get their comeuppance once a year at most. Is he going to lose to Jason Jordan or is he going to face Angle at WM? I think it's more likely Jason Jordan ends up as HHH's lackey than HHH has a PPV singles match with him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

HHH got Sockoed by Mick Foley for about six seconds. That was neat.

Stephanie, I totally get why people hate her, because she's there every stinking week doing the same crap, but HHH at least seems to have figured out that he should use himself more sparingly in the past year and a half or so and I think that makes a difference.

And, I dunno, I could be wrong. But the course I see here is "Team Raw loses" > "HHH beats Kurt Angle in a match." > "Jason Jordan beats HHH". I think they're high on Jordan and thy're gonna try and give him a boost by having HHH put him over in some fashion.

The obvious play is to rip off Sandman/Raven and have JJ tell Kurt that HHH is his daddy now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

To me Steph is so much goddamn worse. This is damning with faint praise but HHH at least adds something and USUALLY puts people over now. Steph is just toxic.

Just wait until she runs for office and turns face to set it up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dacap posted:

I think it had to at least be partially be a thank you to AJ for stepping up to replace Bray last minute.

Excited for HHH's upcoming title reign.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Funny how this phase still had a world title reign, a Rumble win, and Sting losing to him

A clean Rumble win at that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HHH had to work things so he got a WrestleMania win over Brock Lesnar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blaise330 posted:

HHH's last title reign was longer than Bray Wyatt's, and it was years after he retired.

HHH hasn't retired!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jackie D posted:

This has nothing to do with HHH chat (he's bad) but I'm watching No Way Out 2004 and I can't get over Eddie having Jinder levels of bacne

I mean he did die from taking all of the steroids on Earth.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

I haven't hated the Jason Jordan angle, but it really hinges on what follows after this week.

The fact that it's been so static in the past few months has helped naturally keep him in a spot where he's pretty good in terms of kayfabe, but still unproven enough that some can accuse him of nepotism. He wins plenty of regular matches, but nothing high-profile. His "opportunities" have been getting cheated out of an IC title match (that he earned a shot at after purposely giving himself worse odds) and taking on the company's top two faces. All the while, he knows that nobody really respects him for his own merits and he's specifically told not to act out on that. All he can do is try to earn an opportunity, prove himself and hope that's enough.

So he wins a feud that doesn't even really involved Angle in any way. He gets a spot on the Survivor Series team and gets his much-needed opportunity. Stephanie rolls her eyes at this because the other team has Cena, so Jordan proves himself some more by pinning a former WWE Champion clean in the center of the ring in response. Stephanie even looked placated in that for a second. But he was deemed not good enough because he got jumped after the match. His desperation finally showed and in his attempt to garner any kind of sympathy, he got violently shoved aside for his troubles.

Monday has to be his breaking point for this story to work. I don't figure he'll get a match against Triple H, but I would like him to either betray Angle or just go completely unhinged and constantly hunt down and brutalize Wyatt. Just have him do something new so the crowd has a reason to latch onto him one way or another.

If he's not dead yet a feud with Bray Wyatt will end him for sure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Ellsworth is among the best jobbers of all time and deserves all the praise in the world. He managed to turn "Looking weird" into a WWE main roster contract which included WWE title matches, an appearance at WrestleMania, and wins over AJ Styles. He's by all accounts extremely nice and humble and I hope he becomes King of the Indies after this and joins the Bullet Club.

Also he should pull a Jinder and get buff as gently caress so he gets rehired in 5 years and wins the WWE title.

A guy who was in WWE for a year and had a winning record is among the best jobbers of all time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eli Wiggum posted:

It's also an indictment of what kind of company WWE has become

Well now they are a company that the Young Bucks don't want to work for where before they were a company that wouldn't hire guys like the Young Bucks!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

It's in the definition of Business.

Usually you want to steal people away to add value to your own business not to purposefully lose money. This does happen, but setting up your own money losing division to keep talent away from other companies instead of trying to make money with them is a bit less common.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Codependent Poster posted:

So we all know Raw is gonna "win" by having the most victories. Best way to figure that out is to just go through the card.

Women's SS match: Raw
Men's SS match: Raw
Charlotte vs. Alexa: Charlotte
Shield vs. New Day: Shield
Usos vs. Bar: Usos
Corbin vs. Miz: Corbin

That leaves Brock vs. AJ as the deciding match, so Brock will win.

Why do we know that? They usually try to have Smackdown either win the major match or more matches to give the illusion of brand parity.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

I know of an energy company where the owners that gave their daughter a pet company so they would keep her out of operations and it almost never made any money.

I don't. I do know one where a rich family lost a shitload of money so their daughter could play wrestling promoter and be famous and never had to worry about her in their own business

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

Hey now you know exactly who I'm talking about. :daryl:

But seriously the Carters never had to worry about her in their business, she had her PR firm and could have just done that ineptly for years to come. Buying TNA only made it more likely she'd end up at Panda as it had a high risk of failure (100%.) They bought TNA because they thought it was a good idea. They are stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

I don't think the Young Bucks would work in WWE, to be fair.

It's kind of amazing that AJ Styles works, since all things considered they haven't established his character well. Though that might be my personal belief that they should just be running hard selling the 4 things that AJ loves: God, Family, Country and Wrestling.

I agree pushing AJ's white nationalism harder will make him the guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

That's more on TNA than WWE.

TNA are being massive assholes about the Broken gimmick.

WWE could easily pay for the rights, or go with the belief TNA doesn't own the rights or let the Hardys just run with a similar but renamed gimmick but they didn't. They just kept teasing it and running on nostalgia until the Hardys were significantly less over than they were. And now where is Matt?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

reignofevil posted:

Cage matches make sense but not having to escape over the top never did.

Escaping from the cage is the part that doesn't make sense.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wasn't the point of the cage escape for the babyface to calmly stroll out of the cage like a badass after beating the heel to a pulp

That's why they did the door, Bruno would crush the heel and then walk out. If you are going to do escape rules and actually make a win look decisive that's the way to go, climbing out over the top is just a weird race.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Shaking my head at all the people hating on cage escapes when they’ve never seen a DoA Cage Match.

I am a big fan of the movie but I don't remember any cage match is that video game only or was it in an early scene with Nash?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gold Sexy Body posted:

I'm hype, mainly for War Games because the build has been so darn great.

I'm hype for Survivor Series because it was my favourite PPV as a child.

What is everyone looking forward to on this big weekend of wrestling?

CMLL.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That sounds pretty lovely tbh

Why would you not give someone primary custody if they're with the child on the daily basis?

Because they have a lovely workrate.

Or maybe they were abusive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Amy Renee posted:

If I could only see the looks on the faces of the writing staff, and Shane, and Steph, and Hunter, the very second he pitched that idea

Shane is on screen talent only, Stephanie isn't on creative and HHH probably loved it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

They announced Nattie is in the women’s elimination match. Originally it was a secret to be announced tomorrow, so either Paige got in trouble again or Vince did his usual thing.

Dave's been reporting it'd be announced as Nattie since the title change.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gatts posted:

WHen Brock faces and loses to Roman Reigns I hope he starts the match by laughing and then going into Shawn vs Hogan levels of selling and bouncing in and out of the ring.

He didn't burst into laughter and overselling when told to sell for tiny AJ Styles because he respects his homophobia and racism.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Do it ironically posted:

when shane came i thought well it's a bit refreshing haven't seen him in a long time and he had a of people cheering him.

has he just been on too much and yeah it's so unbelievable when he's wrestling he's p terrible, his punches make dean's look amazing

I do wonder though, I thought that shane was just a paid talent for wwe he doesn't hold any official titles like stephanie or triple h, if that it's just creative throwing him into these dumb matches, i wonder how much pull he actually has as triple h/stephanie seem destined to take over after vince goes

He's very over and still Vince's son so he gets big matches. He doesn't need power to get it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Do it ironically posted:

yeah i guess, i always got the sense that there was animosity and some sort of power struggle between steph/triple h and shane

Stephanie won, so there really wouldn't be any there. She also won pretty easily, it's not like there was a struggle. Shane didn't realize he'd lost until long after he'd lost. Even if there was, Stephanie isn't involved in creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Goldberg beating Hogan at the Dome was the best, but wasn't this also where Vince McMahon did a sell-out of Raw during the Attitude Era? The one where he opened the show with this half amazed/half shiteating grin on his face because he'd just sold out the dome in WCW territory?

I don't believe they sold out but they did do at least one extremely successful Dome show when WCW was reduced to the Phillips Arena.

• Locked thread