Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So this video just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaO45SyaO4

And all I can think about is this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wAzlqzXH0&t=840s

So is this going to come out as a toy, or is the military going to turn it into a killing machine? Personally, I think both. Put some guns on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

BigDog had puppies!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Good grief, even dogs are gonna be out of work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hmm, i'm torn between asking it who's a good boy and existential dread

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Grevling posted:

Good grief, even dogs are gonna be out of work.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Robot dogs will be able to Google "Who's a good boy" in seconds. Real dogs haven't got a chance :stonk:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The military is absolutely moving towards this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG8GtxV8-aI&t=76s

A human can identify, and shoot with some accuracy, a target every couple of seconds?

Imagine a machine that can do that a dozen times a second (probably more though).

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

HUmans dont stand a chance in human vs robot piss writing in snow contest

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Put some guns on it.

Strap some explosives to it and use it as a suicide bomber

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Why would you waste a good robot on that? Just use a real dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

pfft im fraid of no robos ive yet to meet the expensive piece of machinery i can't break :nallears:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5530I_pYjbo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Put some guns on them

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Put some guns on them

Done. :colbert:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/action-cats/n10236

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Blue Train posted:

lol that's how they got the guy in Dallas that ambushed those cops

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Soon we'll have those drones with buzzsaws flying around.

:allears:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Soon we'll have those drones with buzzsaws flying around.

:allears:

Gotta do something about the expanding population.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Gotta do something about the expanding population.

Manlets revenge, decapitate anyone over 5'8

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
But can it climb stairs and not sound like a lawn mower giving away its immediate position in a 5 mile radius?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Magius1337est posted:

But can it climb stairs and not sound like a lawn mower giving away its immediate position in a 5 mile radius?

Everything I've read on this thing is that it's battery operated, so probably as quiet as the electric motors allow it to be.

The news also says it can be controlled with an xbox controller.

Now, the military version is probably big and loud, but baby steps.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
imagine a robot that can only make plans from the results of google searches

now imagine it with a gun

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Kind of annoys me dogs don’t live that long. If they could just put lifelike skin around a robot dog and theyd never die I’d be pleased.

My dogs are good boys but are aging 7x as fast as they should. SAD!

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
They should put some fur and ears on it

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only thing missing is a rear end installed fleshlight

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dolphin posted:

the only thing missing is a rear end installed fleshlight

What do you think the first mod will be once this thing reaches the market?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It’s funny how Google sold Boston Dynamics to some Japanese telecom because BD couldn’t produce anything of value. Cool doge though.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

A human can identify, and shoot with some accuracy, a target every couple of seconds?

Imagine a machine that can do that a dozen times a second (probably more though).

the difference is that a human can do this for days on end with barely any resources or maintenance while that robo-dog collapsed into a functionless heap the minute it went around that wall

the question i've been wondering about regarding drones and camera operated systems is how easy is it to burn out a camera? like, could a laser do it? like a laser pen or something more powerful? i literally have no idea, but i imagine those things are pretty fragile.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJciRIZQTg4

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RaySmuckles posted:

the question i've been wondering about regarding drones and camera operated systems is how easy is it to burn out a camera? like, could a laser do it? like a laser pen or something more powerful? i literally have no idea, but i imagine those things are pretty fragile.

The Golden Age of Drone Piracy is almost upon us

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

the difference is that a human can do this for days on end with barely any resources or maintenance while that robo-dog collapsed into a functionless heap the minute it went around that wall

Judging by the number of ravens I've crashed into cars and houses you are correct. For now.

A laser would certainly do the job, but you'd need a massive one to hit a camera flying at 30,000 feet. You'd also need to actually see the camera, and aim at it too.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
does it come with a saddle?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

When the robots kill us all, our dogs will join us in hell. The dogs are for us, the bots will need their own dogs.

My only hope is that their dogs are good boys like ours are. Peace to you, our mechanical inheritors of Earth.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Skeleton King posted:

When the robots kill us all, our dogs will join us in hell. The dogs are for us, the bots will need their own dogs.

My only hope is that their dogs are good boys like ours are. Peace to you, our mechanical inheritors of Earth.

All dogs go to Heaven, because dogs are the angels. God is a dog. The robots will side with the woofers.

There are no dogs in Hell. No demons, either. Just us.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Judging by the number of ravens I've crashed into cars and houses you are correct. For now.

A laser would certainly do the job, but you'd need a massive one to hit a camera flying at 30,000 feet. You'd also need to actually see the camera, and aim at it too.

yeah, 30000 feet presents a different sort of problem, for sure.

i'm just thinking about things like ir and optical cameras mounted on visible, close by things.

my thought experiment came from thinking about overcoming the technologically superior, who obviously use all kinds of optics to improve capability. but with all those optics i figured they would be susceptible to cheap countermeasures. sort of like how night vision is awesome until someone turns on a light and then its useless, evening the playing field. but with things like ir or other optics just turning on a light wouldn't cut it. so what about something like a big rear end laser that just scans back and forth?

but the truth is just don't know nearly enough about optics or how to counter them to really exercise the thought.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

yeah, 30000 feet presents a different sort of problem, for sure.

i'm just thinking about things like ir and optical cameras mounted on visible, close by things.

my thought experiment came from thinking about overcoming the technologically superior, who obviously use all kinds of optics to improve capability. but with all those optics i figured they would be susceptible to cheap countermeasures. sort of like how night vision is awesome until someone turns on a light and then its useless, evening the playing field. but with things like ir or other optics just turning on a light wouldn't cut it. so what about something like a big rear end laser that just scans back and forth?

but the truth is just don't know nearly enough about optics or how to counter them to really exercise the thought.

Next time it's dark out go shine your laser pointer at a wall across the street (I did this too, it was a learning experience). Across the street the "dot" is about the size of a basketball and dim. You'd need a super powerful laser, with amazing focusing capabilities, to even stand a chance of burning out the optical sensors on something just flying around above your house.

Honestly a .22 rifle, or a shotgun for birds, is super effective and cheap.

But these ground based drones are scary. By the time you've seen it, and had time to get your gun up to try and shoot at it, it's already killed you and all your friends (and called in an artillery strike for funsies).

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

well, i guess the only remaining solution is to just hide for like 20 minutes until the things run out of juice. or wait a day until they undergo their prerequisite 20 hours of maintenance per hour of use

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's some ground combat drones that were around years ago (already obsolete).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTTO6ZkuLzQ

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
HELL YEAH

https://youtu.be/gnZyTaSdBs0

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
peoples perception, love or fear of drones and robots is pretty interesting

there are now multiple companies selling "skynet shells" for shotguns with nets in them that don't properly spread out and flashlight shaped 800 dollar tubes that also don't actually shoot a net very far

seems like they know land owners will absolutely freak out if a drone is flying on their private property but want to avoid the incredibly obvious answer: shoot it down with a 50 cent shell of birdshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wulfolme posted:

imagine a robot that can only make plans from the results of google searches

now imagine it with a gun

The Jews won't stand a chance

• Locked thread