Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hey man those 2013-14 lineups were loving dire, not as bad as the early 90s but super bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Carlosologist posted:

Hey man those 2013-14 lineups were loving dire, not as bad as the early 90s but super bad

That 2013 opening day lineup sure was something...

CF Brett Gardner
SS Eduardo Nunez
2B Robinson Cano
1B Kevin Youkilis
LF Vernon Wells
DH Ben Francisco
RF Ichiro Suzuki
3B Laynce Nix
C Francisco Cervelli

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Eventually we're gonna stop winning these type of games, this can't continue.

But gently caress me I love Gleyber.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Argh I am unbelievably jealous of Yankee fans

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Just... This loving team. :toot:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I can’t believe it.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
I was there, man. It was beautiful :sweep:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this team has an extreme 1998 feel to it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Carlosologist posted:

this team has an extreme 1927 feel to it

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
7 innings I sat there wondering what it would take. the last 2 innings were an explosion and it was fantastic.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Man it feels good to have the magic back!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's really insane that they won that game after Betances poo poo the bed in the 8th.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
gently caress Boston. Always and forever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My nerves couldn't handle watching the first series, and I don't think they'll be any better this time around.

gently caress Boston's offensive output, man.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Seems like Ellsbury is just taking the year off lol. Not like anyone will miss him...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Seems like Ellsbury is just taking the year off lol. Not like anyone will miss him...

I literally forgot he was on the team until i read this post.

I was so mad when they signed him, and he somehow didn't even manage to live up to my rock-bottom expectations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

gently caress Boston's offensive output, man.

To be fair, they've faced exactly one elite pitcher all year in Severino (and rocked him). Two if you count Manaea, who no hit them. I don't think they are as good as they've looked offensively.

Also related:

How is it that the Yankees strength of schedule has been .513 and the Sox has been .510? It seems like the Yankees have had a much harder early season schedule and the Sox have only been playing cupcakes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL @ David Price being scared of the Yankees.

Whats more annoying? Sanchez not being able to catch balls or the yankees not being able to get Benentendi out. Who sucks.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 9, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

The Yankees defense loving sucks.

Edit: also Gardner is toast. I know they never would, but I would bench him once Frazier is healthy. At least drop him in the lineup and lead off Hicks.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 9, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Yup. They basically gift wrapped 2 runs in this game.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

Not even a Yankee fan but finally something we can agree on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Edit: also Gardner is toast. I know they never would, but I would bench him once Frazier is healthy. At least drop him in the lineup and lead off Hicks.

He's 34, not 38... And other than today he's a terrific LF. I don't think he's getting benched for Frazier unless this continues for another month at the very least.

What a BRUTAL send by Nevin. Christ.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 9, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

What a BRUTAL send by Nevin. Christ.

Probably the worst baserunning team in baseball. Everyone sucks at it. Also why go on contact with the infield in? Terrible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Probably the worst baserunning team in baseball. Everyone sucks at it. Also why go on contact with the infield in? Terrible.

They are playing a sloppy, pretty bad game tonight and they are still 3 outs from winning lol.

How do you hit the worst hitter in the majors?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 9, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They are playing a sloppy, pretty bad game tonight and they are still 3 outs from winning lol.

Yeah this has been an extremely sloppy game all around.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

How do you hit the worst hitter in the majors?

Yeah, they had a great, tough win.

It’s just a season long complaint that’s minor if you look at everything as a whole. I think they’re 2nd in baseball in baserunning outs? I’m pretty sure they’re also close to the top still in errors as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boston isn't winning the division against this Yankee team with Nunez Bradley and Vasquez playing every day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That's a good win. Please win this series and never look back.

TheBizzness posted:

Not even a Yankee fan but finally something we can agree on.

:hfive:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I'm sure Tyler Austin is a way dirtier player. All of Boston sports media and Sox players have said as much.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tied for first :smug:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

RCarr posted:

Tied for first :smug:

I would love to see like, 50% of the offense going at one time. It seems like as soon as some people start hitting other people forget. A lineup that is humming is going to be insanely scary.

I'm mostly focused on that because there is no way the pitching keeps holding up like this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mikeraskol posted:

I'm mostly focused on that because there is no way the pitching keeps holding up like this.

Why not? Severino is a legit ace and it's not like we haven't seen Tanaka dominate in the past. CC isn't a sub-2.00 ERA guy but he's a sub-4.00 one. Gray and the 5th spot are still up in the air but I'm more than willing to say Gray can pitch to a low-3s ERA.

EDIT: I've been mad all year that people have been saying the Yankees rotation is really creaky yet acting like Boston is rock solid. They have Chris Sale, David Price, Drew Pomeranz, Rick Porcello, and Eduardo Rodriguez. Why are people acting like that's 5 elite arms with no injury or performance questions hanging over them? Their bullpen is meh at best outside of Kimbrel.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 9, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think its unreasonable to see Severino and Tanaka as aces. Neither is a lock but both are clearly capable of it. CC's proven he's a smart pitcher who can adjust and deliver when necessary. Gray's a question but he looks like he's making progress. The fifth spot is a question but that's true on most teams. Like most any team they could use one more lock down starter to make it a killer rotation but no one's really pitching clearly above their heads right now. CC a little maybe, but I think that's debatable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't think its unreasonable to see Severino and Tanaka as aces. Neither is a lock but both are clearly capable of it. CC's proven he's a smart pitcher who can adjust and deliver when necessary. Gray's a question but he looks like he's making progress. The fifth spot is a question but that's true on most teams. Like most any team they could use one more lock down starter to make it a killer rotation but no one's really pitching clearly above their heads right now. CC a little maybe, but I think that's debatable.

For me, Sevy is an ace until he proves otherwise.

CC is performing way over his head but the underlying stuff from the past two years is still there with his elite weak-contact numbers and whatnot. He'll regress and it will probably be an ugly game or two but I think he still ends with a similar line to 2016/17. Also honestly I kind of prefer a guy go 0-1 ER most games and then 5-6 ER in a couple to get to that ~4 ERA. Those 0-1 run games are much more winnable than just constant 4 run ones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I'd assume he can do roughly his 4.50 ERA that he's been doing regularly and he's definitely pitching at his peak right now. I guess I just meant I don't expect him to fall apart. He'll settle in and throw some clunkers, maybe go through a bad run. But I think he's proven himself as that "savvy veteran" who can weather it and he should do fine as long as he doesn't get hurt or fall off the cliff. Which obvious he could with age or health, but who knows when that happens?

Ideally he's #4 and Gray steps into the #3. But for now I'm at peace with it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I guess I just don't believe in Tanaka as much as you guys, don't trust Gray at all and think CC is going to regress really hard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, do you think CC has been playing over his head for 2 years now?

EDIT: Also I'm not really irked by us posting about this stuff in here since that's what the thread is for, but the baseball world as a whole talks about how the Yankees rotation is "a lot of question marks" like they're the only team like this and it's been annoying me all year.

The Astros are the only team in baseball who can look at their stating rotation and say "Yes, all 5 of these guys are amazing and killing it every time out." And if any of them got hurt, I don't think they'd have an easy time replacing them. The only teams that probably feel comfortable with their non-stating depth for injury replacement right now are probably the Braves and Dodgers, and one of those teams is below .500 right now.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 9, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I don't consider Tanaka a full blown "ace." He's more of a #2 to me. But he's clearly capable of putting up ace numbers and having Severino as the #1 makes me as confident in Tanaka as I ever have been.

As I said, another proven, top flight arm would shore up the rotation but how many teams couldn't you say the same for? Houston? Washington? Maybe a few others? Teams can always use more pitching.

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, I think I get what the OP is saying. At some point CC's probably gonna be done and the longer a veteran manages to hang on and fight time the more you start to expect it them to fall off a cliff. But that's no guarantee and we have no idea when or if it will happen.

But he's a perfectly solid gamble. I think some fans just get nervous if they don't have guarantees and there's very few of those in baseball.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 9, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

No, but he certainly has the last 3 starts or so.

The Yankees rotation DOES have a lot of question marks. Just because other teams do as well, doesn't negate the fact for us. When people look at a team that is expected to get to the World Series, of course they are going to point out possible flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

No, but he certainly has the last 3 starts or so.

For sure, and I admitted as much. But regressing to 3.80 ERA isn't the end of the world.

• Locked thread