Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It appears that the sky hasn’t fallen yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Pretty impressive win. The late game heroics can't be something you rely upon long term, but it's fun as poo poo.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

That was close

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

It appears that the sky hasn’t fallen yet

:feelsgood:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This lineup can save bad pitching. Once their bullpen gets back to full strength and Sonny Gray remembers how to pitch, we'll get back to 7-3 games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm glad they stuck with Walker. He could always hit. They really need to move Hicks down in the lineup. He just isn't a good hitter.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I was complaining about Walker (who has indeed started hitting a bit, but I want Bird back bad) and Andujar. I just hate Andujar's approach at the plate, he needs to spend time in Scranton, especially with Drury hitting well there. Compare Andujar to Hicks, who has holes in his swing, but at least he can work the count a little bit, and he's the only realistic defensive option in CF.

Gardner is heating up a tiny bit again and I love him, but I really want to see what Frazier can do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

I was complaining about Walker (who has indeed started hitting a bit, but I want Bird back bad) and Andujar. I just hate Andujar's approach at the plate, he needs to spend time in Scranton, especially with Drury hitting well there. Compare Andujar to Hicks, who has holes in his swing, but at least he can work the count a little bit, and he's the only realistic defensive option in CF.

Gardner is heating up a tiny bit again and I love him, but I really want to see what Frazier can do.

Hicks' isolated slugging is TWENTY SEVEN. He's been truly terrible. Their best team is probably with Gardner in Center and Frazier in LF. Andujar is 5th on the team in XBH. Sending him down would be ridiculous.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Yankees are good

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A quarter of the way through the season and the Yanks are on pace for a 113-49 record, and each of Stanton/Judge/Sanchez is on pace for 40 or more dingers

that late change in the Nats series to get Scherzer a start seems like it won't be fun

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

that late change in the Nats series to get Scherzer a start seems like it won't be fun

The forecasts for both nights in Washington is...very unconducive to baseball being played.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

The forecasts for both nights in Washington is...very unconducive to baseball being played.

Hopefully it gets rained out Wednesday.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Scherzer looked really solid his start. I think he had 10+ strikeouts.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Just your daily note that I loving love Gleyber Torres.

Bref has him at .9 war, Fangraphs has him at .5 war. Even if you go by Fangraphs, that's what, a 4 win player over 160 games in his age 21 season (he's played 20 games).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mikeraskol posted:

Just your daily note that I loving love Gleyber Torres.

Bref has him at .9 war, Fangraphs has him at .5 war. Even if you go by Fangraphs, that's what, a 4 win player over 160 games in his age 21 season (he's played 20 games).

and to think all we gave up was a few months of Chapman

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

This Drury situation is interesting. RAB put up an article just now about the options for him since his rehab assignment ends tomorrow and it doesn't seem like his eye issues are fixed yet. But they have to make a decision

Edit: after I typed this, they activated him and optioned him to AAA

humpthewind fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 14, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

humpthewind posted:

This Drury situation is interesting. RAB put up an article just now about the options for him since his rehab assignment ends tomorrow and it doesn't seem like his eye issues are fixed yet. But they have to make a decision

Anjudar won the job. Who says the meritocracy is dead...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Andujar won the job and Drury isn't back to 100% which made it a very easy call.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

humpthewind posted:

RAB actually made a really dumb fuss about nothing with regards to this because Drury gets paid a major league salary regardless of whether or not he’s playing in AAA the rest of this year. He signed a $621.9k guaranteed contract just for being added to the 40 man roster. His agent isn’t going to really care because his salary isn’t going to change. And he’ll still be accruing MLB service time as long as he’s optioned for less than 20 days (he doesn’t if it’s longer than 20).

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/jnorris427/status/996411042069733376?s=21

Aaron Hicks just broke into a sweat and he doesn’t know why

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/jnorris427/status/996411042069733376?s=21

Aaron Hicks just broke into a sweat and he doesn’t know why

I know this is prospect hugging but I really love Frazier and I don't want to see him traded. Who knows how much Gardner has left in the tank. Though as you intimated, Hicks is making the decision a little easier since he has been pretty awful.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I totally agree, Frazier is probably the hitting prospect I’ve been most excited about since the Miller trade. He deserves a chance at the bigs in New York

I’m also really disappointed in Hicks. Had a nice season last year but he’s gone back to Minnesota levels this season. Really thought he was gonna break out in a big way this year but I guess these are those misses in player development that happen

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I guess the question is, is a Frazier - Gardner - Judge outfield playable?

I'm just not sure about Gardner in center anymore.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Clint’s played a lot of CF in his current MiLB stint, so it’s possible we something silly like Gardner/Frazier/Judge or Stanton/Frazier/Judge happen

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I'm just not sure about Gardner in center anymore.

Has he shown any indication he can't play center field at a high level anymore?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

RCarr posted:

I was just looking up defensive stats and was surprised to learn he's already played CF 13 times this year? I must not be paying enough attention . . .

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Gardy has lost a step on defense but I think he's still above-average out there.

I also don't think Hicks has completely lost it, but given that Gardy is technically a free agent after this season there's no reason for the Yankees to not try everybody out.

(That said, out of everybody mentioned here, Frazier is the one who has looked the most out-of-place in the OF.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 15, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RCarr posted:

Gardy has looked real bad all year, and really cant work counts like he used to be able to. Frazier is probably starting in LF, with some weird rotation of Hicks, Gardy and eventually ellsbury going on in Center.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Gardy has looked real bad all year, and really cant work counts like he used to be able to. Frazier is probably starting in LF, with some weird rotation of Hicks, Gardy and eventually ellsbury going on in Center.

He looked bad and said they ID'd a problem with his swing and has been looking better. His OBP is in line with his career numbers so far and he's actually walking more than least year.

Reports of Gardner's death are pretty exaggerated right now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean he has clearly lost something at the plate (although he has picked it up recently), but he looks fine in center field from what I've seen this year.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The gently caress are you talking about Gardner can't work counts anymore? He's 14th in P/PA right now, he was 12th last year and his number of pitches seen is actually higher this year.

I wish they'd send Andujar back to AAA and bring up Drury. Andujar has an awful plate approach and needs to learn how to take a walk

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

I wish they'd send Andujar back to AAA and bring up Drury. Andujar has an awful plate approach and needs to learn how to take a walk

Brandon Drury literally can't see straight.

Also some guys don't walk a lot and have high-contact oriented approaches and that's not necessarily a bad thing. You want to send a guy back to AAA to completely change how he hits.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Inspector_666 posted:

Brandon Drury literally can't see straight.

Also some guys don't walk a lot and have high-contact oriented approaches and that's not necessarily a bad thing. You want to send a guy back to AAA to completely change how he hits.

Drury is by all accounts doing better and is alright now. I haven't seen anything stating the contrary yet

Also for Andujar, there is a big difference between doesn't know what a walk is and doesn't walk a lot. 2% walk rate is pretty bad, he has a sub 300 OBP

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

Drury is by all accounts doing better and is alright now. I haven't seen anything stating the contrary yet

Also for Andujar, there is a big difference between doesn't know what a walk is and doesn't walk a lot. 2% walk rate is pretty bad, he has a sub 300 OBP

He had a 7% walk rate in AAA last year. What is the cutoff for you?

Also Drury is not alright by his own admission and
https://twitter.com/ByDJEberle/status/995143213202788352

EDIT: Also also Drury's BB% with Arizona in 2016 and 2017 was 6%. For his entire career he's pretty much been the same type of hitter as Andujar.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 15, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This idea that Brandon Drury is some great hitter is really weird. Dude is a slightly below average MLB bat, which is exactly what Andujar is currently. The difference is that Andujar has the potential to mash taters like no ones business and Drury does not.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

This idea that Brandon Drury is some great hitter is really weird. Dude is a slightly below average MLB bat, which is exactly what Andujar is currently. The difference is that Andujar has the potential to mash taters like no ones business and Drury does not.

I like Drury a bunch (he's been barely below average while being unable to see the dang ball!) but the idea that he's a clearly superior hitter to Andujar is...not borne out by the data.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Was kinda hoping Frazier would start. Also Torres 9th and Tanaka 8th. Maddon would be proud.

1. Hicks - CF
2. Judge - RF
3. Stanton - LF
4, Sanchez - C
5. Gregorius - SS
6, Austin - 1B
7. Andujar - 3B
8. Tanaka - SP
9. Torres - 2B

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Putting the O/U on 2.5 for how many pitchers get walked this series

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Tanaka is a solid . . . *homerun whistles overhead.* I really think that Tanaka . . . *massive blast leaves the entire ballpark.*

Edit: Seriously though, Tanaka sucks.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Interesting thought I had while reading the N/V thread. How much salary would you be comfortable eating to get Ellsbury off the roster?

I think up to 66%

• Locked thread