Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankee world is hyping Bird up so much this winter that I'm 100% sure he's going to get hurt 2 weeks into Spring Training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think part of it is that Bird was being talked about before Judge and he was up before Judge and Sanchez's breakouts so a lot of fans have this built up anticipation and I've heard the sentiment that he was "supposed to come first" and the injuries just sidetracked him. There's some folks in the Yankee world were definitely talking about like the unfinished piece with Judge and Sanchez to beef up the lineup before Stanton entered the picture.

There's also this commercial YES is airing about a new "murderers row" with Stanton, Judge, Sanchez... and Didi and Bird. And the Didi think makes me smile but the Bird thing just feels a bit much.

I like his left handed bat and I was only joking earlier. I like penciling him at 1st in the back half of the lineup but I'm not putting any real expectations on him until he can stay healthy and productive. But I look forward to seeing if this is the year.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 15, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PR?

I genuinely had no idea Wilson played baseball at all. That's weird. Like... is he actually going to play the summer at Trenton? Is that even allowed now adays in the NFL?

If so I guess Trenton's gonna have a banner year for tickets and merchandise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's what I figured but the "he'll be assigned to Trenton" threw me a curve.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its very Steinbrenner-esque.

I'm a little iffy on the rotation but there wasn't really anyone on the market I wanted the Yanks to go all out for, including Yu. I mean, I would have been happy with Yu but by all accounts the Yankees went for him and he passed. So I'm not a fan of just moving down the line and signing the next best available. The rotation isn't THAT much of a concern. They can go into April with this rotation and its a long season to see who becomes available in the minors or trading block.

Going into a season with 3 or 4 guys penciled in but question marks is a really, really, really good position to be in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if you're a Yankee fan and you're not just fantasizing about Stanton-Judge-Sanchez I don't know what to say.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JD Martinez is good.

The point is its so typically Yankee Fan to freak out about the Red Sox adding a good piece on the same day that the reigning NL MVP takes batting practice in a Yankee uniform.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well that's also stupid. Its a long season and any one counting their playoff appearance in February is just a homer or a fool. Yankees are in a good position to do well with either set pieces or pencilled in options and a good system to supplement mid season. They won 3 games in the ALCS last year and got better. That's all you can reasonably ask for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankees did go after Yu Darvish, he just wasn't interested.

Waiving Ellsbury seems like a bad move to me. With Frazier gone there's no obvious 5th OFer ahead of Ellsbury. Last season Hicks seemed to move ahead of him in the playing time order. And Judge and Stanton are probably going to see time at DH and we still don't know how that rotation will work. Gardner's up in years. Hicks has had injury problems and isn't really "established" in my mind. And there's always injuries. So there's a place on the team for Ellsbury, I think. At least for now. Cutting him for a huge financial cost and no return doesn't seem necessary to me at this point.

Either way that doesn't seem like the Yankees being "cheap."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know why I brain farted on that. I think I had him factored out with the Gerritt Cole rumors and I guess I just never factored him back in.

Ok, so there's a competition at the 5th OFer spot. But with the open DH spot and injury concerns I'm still comfortable with Ellsbury on the opening day roster. If Spring Training plays out that way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it makes me feel like I'm playing.

I'm fine with Drury having "the leg up" for one of the spots. It makes sense to pencil the vet into one spot and let the rookies go for the other spot. As long as the door is open for the rookies to take both if they do well and Drury struggles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I'm actually totally fine with him on the bench. And fine with him as an occasional emergency 9th hitter. Its just funny whenever he gets too many ABs in a short time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know how its going to play out, but yeah, its all premature. They'll all get playing time in Spring Training games and we'll have a better picture and more clear statements in 2 or 3 weeks.

I doubt Torreyes is really in the picture for a starting job unless the rest of them really suck in Spring.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't hate the idea of carrying 6 OFers if we assume one of Judge/Stanton/Ellsbury is the DH most days but it probably wouldn't be the worst thing if Frazier starts the year in AAA and we just see if anyone gets hurt or a trade emerges.

Of course it also wouldn't be the worst thing if Torres starts the year in AAA but if that happens I think a lot of fans are gonna get mad. But they probably will with Ellsbury/Frazier too.

But a whole ST to see how this stuff shapes up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I blame myself.

STAC Goat posted:

The Yankee world is hyping Bird up so much this winter that I'm 100% sure he's going to get hurt 2 weeks into Spring Training.

He did make it past the 2 weeks and almost to Opening Day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sterling was told that and he essentially said "I know but I like it so I don't care."

See, because the star is John Sterling.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can criticize Boone's bullpen moves today but ins Game 3 and not even April and the real problem remains Bettances and the fact that baserunners can do whatever they want with him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, injuries and short hooks made the roster weirdly shallow just five days into the season so it was nice to get a day off ahead of schedule.

Also I was able to sleep in for a snow day I totally wasn't prepared for.

Five straight games to start the season seems weird anyway. This year's schedule kind of confused me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I almost sprung for Opening Day seats and man that would have been annoying if I had and woke up to a few inches of snow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I did it once. It was a fun experience. This year was yet another in a long line of years since where the idea was floated from a much more hardcore friend of mine and I considered it but ultimately decided that I rather spend a little money to go to games I don't care a lot about in nice weather and relaxing situations and save the rest for the comfort of homes and bars.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Booing Stanton in his Yankee Stadium debut on April 3rd in a 9-4 game is certainly a quick lesson to the challenges of playing in New York.

Carlosologist posted:

Someone needs to take away the 8th bullpen spot because it feels like they’re trying to use everyone just because they can

Yeah, I think this is a problem Girardi had and a lot of managers have. Just because you have the arms doesn't mean you should use them. You bring in a "mop up guy" but then I think they feel they need to use them to justify the fact that they're carrying a short bench. Meanwhile if you've got 5 or 6 great options in the pen you start thinking the whole pen is interchangeable and you can call on anyone at any point.

I didn't have major problems with the previous decisions but this one bugged me. But hopefully its a learning experience.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 4, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cone was trying to push the idea that its a mental thing where he's still used to playing for Oakland where he never got run support so he tries to be too perfect and overthink everything and need to just learn to trust he'll get some run support and chill out.

I have no idea if that is actual sensible pitcher psychology or is just pitcher magic mumbo jumbo. Then again I'm not sure there's a difference between those two things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Until Betances proves otherwise I think he is who he is. Someone capable of brilliance but also prone to the long ball and breakdowns with runners and control. It means you can't count on him as one of the top arms in your pen and need to have a short leash when you use him in high leverage situations. That sucks but luckily the Yankees have the arms to make him like the best 4th or 5th arm in the pen in MLB.

Until Gray proves otherwise I also think he is who he is. Which is basically a good 4/acceptable 3. Which I can live with. Obviously it makes the rotation less that shut down but that's what it was last season and what it was this season and it was clear the Yankees made the choice that there wasn't anyone available at the right price or the right level to secure that to be worth it. Which in hindsight we can feel bad about Verlander and maybe we will about Cole but I think it was a reasonable decision at the time. And the Yankees will likely have the means to make a move mid season if in they're in the position and need for help there and someone is available.

Yeah, I just kind of hate the "live and die" by every week/game aspect of some baseball fandom ("cubs posting"). Its why I love baseball more than football or other sports. Because you really do have to live and die each week in football. And a bad 2 week run in hockey or basketball could seriously tank your season. But in MLB its all a little diminished so while these games count and its possible losing some of these games will hurt at the end of the season, no one kills their season in April playing .500 ball. So you don't have to lose you poo poo over a bad series or lose hope in the season. Yankees aren't playing great right now. Maybe its the weather. Maybe its the schedule. Maybe its bad luck. Maybe its deeper. 148 games left to find out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe but it basically just makes his margin for error smaller since giving up another single means blowing the game.

I mean, I think its safe to say that Betances' "problem" isn't really a single problem and is just a bunch of things that on their own could be fine but when grouped together become a potential for disaster. Which is why I think he's far too valuable to write off or reduce to a long man. But he's gotta have a really tight leash until he proves otherwise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its a safe bet Torres will probably be up soon. And with Drury's head issues coming to light I think Andujar's probably safe to find time to find his groove.

Judge, Sanchez, Hicks, and Didi all seem like they're going good.

And if there's one guy on the Yankee roster I'm not terribly worried has suddenly gotten bad at baseball its Giancarlo Stanton.

The pitching staff is my only real question and I'm willing to cross my fingers that they'll settle in as the weather warms up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

Moreso than his line the last few outings, he looked like he was on the edge tonight and then pulled himself together and got the job done. That's big.

Yeah, his problem of late has been that once things start to go bad the wheels come off and he falls apart. Its cautiously reassuring to see him get himself into trouble and then pitch his way out of that. Not being able to do that is his biggest problem.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Carlosologist posted:

I love Gary because he's the only guy I've ever seen pimp a shot to dead center. what a guy, what a player

He did that and my internal voice was all "Gary, that's straight center. You really think you hit it hard enough for a sac fl... oh wait he's still going ba... oh, ok, you the man."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As bad as Stanton has been I've never really been worried about him. Maybe he'll come out of it soon. Maybe he'll have a bad season. But it's gonna take awhile to convince me he just stopped knowing how to hit.

With Montogomery out for 2 months I guess German gets the next start and then they figure it out? Is there anyone in AAA waiting?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I'm totally ok with German getting a shot. I just don't pay much attention to AAA so I didn't know if Adams or someone was pushing the ceiling.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually felt like Stanton's HRs last night were kind of ugly and the sort of ones Judge hits when he misses but still powers them over the wall. But regardless hopefully confidence kicks in and helps him get his mind right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paul Zuvella posted:

On the other hand, Stanton's OPSing .800 and having a "down year" so I dont think there is literally anything to worry about.

No, I don't either. I've said it all year. Slumps happen, bad seasons happen. Stanton is a proven commodity. It takes more than a month to convince me he's fallen off a cliff or in decline. He's just in a bad spell.

But of course I'd like that spell to end sooner than later. Not just for the team but because it would probably help him to get off the rear end in a top hat Bronx shitlist soon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Someone hurt mcmagic somewhere along the line.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

1 undeserving MVP blown the gently caress away.

hahaha! Sometimes your perpetual anger and lack of perspective makes me laugh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ihatepants posted:

Gleyber hit his first career home run and instead of them showing his reaction as he rounds the bases, they cut to a shot of John Sterling and his reaction. Awful.

In fairness I think that was more internal since Cone had started the game reading the pitcher's HR rates and said "Sterling's going to have a good day." So they were just playing on that.

But still, its weird.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Players are always going to balance hot streaks and slumps so its just really good that the Yankees are winning when Stanton is going so bad, Sanchez isn't really fully going, and Didi's cooled off. 162 game season means just hoping those slumps and bad games and injuries don't all line up too long like they did at the start of the season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think its unreasonable to see Severino and Tanaka as aces. Neither is a lock but both are clearly capable of it. CC's proven he's a smart pitcher who can adjust and deliver when necessary. Gray's a question but he looks like he's making progress. The fifth spot is a question but that's true on most teams. Like most any team they could use one more lock down starter to make it a killer rotation but no one's really pitching clearly above their heads right now. CC a little maybe, but I think that's debatable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I'd assume he can do roughly his 4.50 ERA that he's been doing regularly and he's definitely pitching at his peak right now. I guess I just meant I don't expect him to fall apart. He'll settle in and throw some clunkers, maybe go through a bad run. But I think he's proven himself as that "savvy veteran" who can weather it and he should do fine as long as he doesn't get hurt or fall off the cliff. Which obvious he could with age or health, but who knows when that happens?

Ideally he's #4 and Gray steps into the #3. But for now I'm at peace with it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I don't consider Tanaka a full blown "ace." He's more of a #2 to me. But he's clearly capable of putting up ace numbers and having Severino as the #1 makes me as confident in Tanaka as I ever have been.

As I said, another proven, top flight arm would shore up the rotation but how many teams couldn't you say the same for? Houston? Washington? Maybe a few others? Teams can always use more pitching.

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, do you think CC has been playing over his head for 2 years now?

I mean, I think I get what the OP is saying. At some point CC's probably gonna be done and the longer a veteran manages to hang on and fight time the more you start to expect it them to fall off a cliff. But that's no guarantee and we have no idea when or if it will happen.

But he's a perfectly solid gamble. I think some fans just get nervous if they don't have guarantees and there's very few of those in baseball.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 9, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CC will probably hit a wall sometime. Maybe that will be this month. Maybe it will be in September. Maybe it will be 2 years from now. There's no real indication so its a lot like worrying about an injury. Severino could get hurt and then what? Obviously you want insurance in case someone gets hurt or slumps or falls apart. Its May 9th and its a long season. Yankees look like they'll be buyers at the trade deadline and SP will probably be their #1 want barring any major changes in this time. But that's months away.

At the same time that stuff might work out. Maybe no one falls apart. Maybe Gray starts pitching to his potential. Maybe German keeps pitching lights out and becomes a real 5th option. Maybe Montgomery recovers well and comes back in July pitching great. Maybe Adams or someone else starts dealing and comes on the radar. Maybe Sheffield phenoms his way up the ladder.

You just can't tell that stuff this early. Right now the pitching staff is delivering and there's no clear causes for concern and no clear better options available. 2 or 3 weeks from now the outlook could be as different as it was 2 or 3 weeks ago. That's baseball. Its a marathon and you just have to play it as it goes. Unless you're really high on the comeback of Matt Harvey I don't see that there's a lot the Yankees could be doing right now to better their rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I unironically love the Yankee trivia music.

Especially because it pisses Michael Kay off.

• Locked thread