Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That quote owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah bird is whatever at first base, but its first base so who cares about defense.

Seeing Nick Johnson's name thrown around actually got me thinking, "Nick Johnson with more power" is probably a good comp for bird, similar health issues too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lets all guess how many home runs Stanton, Gary, and Judge hit.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Going to Yankee Stadium III for the first time this summer for my birthday, any of you goons have seat recommendations?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Overreacting to the Red Sox signing JD Martinez is pretty loving lolworthy

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The yankees traded a bunch of no-name prospects and starlin Castro for Giancarlo loving stanton and people are complaining that the Red Sox Signed JD Martinez, what a world

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

He's VERY good.

He's... fine? He is a terrible defensive player and is 30 coming off of a season where he outperformed his career OPS by 200 points. Calling JD martinez VERY good seems extremely shortsighted.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ihatepants posted:

My complaint wasn't that the Sox signed Martinez, even though he is a very good hitter. It's that the Yankees are somehow scared to spend money to improve the team, even marginally, when the Sox are willing to spend over $230 million this season (~$60M more than the Yankees) I get that the Sox already reset their luxury tax, but it's not like the Yankees are hurting in revenue that they can't afford to pay that tax. Couple that with Steinbrenner's quote from a few years ago where he said you don't have to spend $200 million on a team, of course I am concerned that they would rather pocket the money than spend it on the team like George used to do.

The entire offseason had rumors about shipping out Ellsbury for salary relief so that they can make more moves, when they used to just eat those contracts in the past. The Sox just basically did that with Sandoval. Instead they're gonna keep Ellsbury on the team and limit the roster flexibility even more with possibly six outfielders, just because they can't afford to cut bait with a player they don't really need (or want?).

The fact that they have to "save" the $10M just so they can make a midseason move is incredibly annoying from a fan perspective that doesn't give a poo poo about the money.

The Luxury tax is a bitch and it's very apparent that it makes the richest of the rich squeamish at this point. I think people just have to get used to Baseball having a salary cap until it is removed, which it 100% should.

The bigger question is, again, who do you want the yankees to spend money on? Yu Darvish obviously would be good and they should have went after him, but Andujar is one of the most highly regarded prospects in baseball, as is Torres. Both are major league ready, or are close to major league ready. Signing a dude obviously blocks them, so whats the point of signing a stopgap? If they get through spring training and Andujar doesn't seem ready, then Mike Moustakis can be had on a 1 year contract, most likely.

Spending money just to spend money would be loving dumb, and sometimes the best decision is to do nothing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yes that is what's keeping the yankees from trading ellsbury, not the fact that he sucks and is paid a lot of money.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It is, because they were willing to eat most of the contract and he was actually decent at the end of the last year. He could start for a number of teams. He's just been refusing to waive his NTC.

Except for all the reports that say no one wants him and the team has not asked him to waive his NTC, but sure. People are just chomping at the chance to trade for old Jacoby Ellsbury.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

They are clearly loving with Torres' service time, so at this point I would not expect to see him until september call ups unless he like, explodes in the minors or something.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Man, Frazier is in such an awkward spot. Wonder how this year plays out for him.

I really think they end up moving him, he just has nowhere to play and they can swap him for a young, cost controlled pitcher.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Im really hoping both Torres and Andujar work out at a major league level because then the yankees can spend money on pitching next offseason rather than more bats.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Given that Adujar's biggest issue is his (honestly pretty bad) glove, it seems really surprising that they have given him 0 reps in the minors at OF/1B

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

His glove isn't that bad though?

By, uh, what metric exactly?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That's complete BS, because if his glove was anywhere near "average" he would the starting 3B without batting an eye.

An average defensive 3rd basemen with his bat would be a top 15 starting 3rd basemen with literally no question.

e: That is not to say I dont agree with you, dude should be on the roster and probably starting this year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, Neil Walker should start. He's really goddamn good.

Plus if Torres ends up being ready they can move him at the deadline probably for some kind of prospect. Adding and starting Walker is a no brainer.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bird busting due to injuries is sad, but hey on the bright side there wont be a problem when Aaron Judge has to play first base because he is a giantman

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How dare Aaron Boone give the ball to the best bullpen in the league, what a loving idiot he should be fired.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

A good way to keep them the best BP in the league is to not use them for 9 outs every game...

Chapman especially is not good on back to back days.

Its game 2 dude.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Being a Yankee fan who lives in Boston can suck sometimes... except for when your Girlfriend's roomate works for the Red Sox and can get you free tickets.

Going to my first Yankees/Red Sox game :smuggo:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I'm going up to Boston later in the year and I want monster seats. Any tips other than just spending 500 bucks on StubHub?

Monster seats are tough, if only because there are so few seats up there. Honestly I have never even really tried to look into sitting up there because they are so expensive. I know they have Standing Room only tickets up there that are generally cheap though.

e: I will say this; Fenway is surprisingly a decent place to watch a baseball game. Even the right field bleachers are pretty good. If you're willing to forgo the wall there are some great places to sit around the stadium for a decent price.

Carlosologist posted:

Those are some great seats. Hopefully you don't get murdered by a townie

Ever since the Red Sox won, no one really gets mad about baseball anymore. All of the Townie Rage is directed at anyone who dares say something mean about Tom Brady now.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 9, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Looks like they moved Gray up to Thursday, meaning I get to watch Gray vs. Porcello live. Hopefully I can see some cool poo poo out of Gary, Stanton and Judge. I want to see my large adult sons mash

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I am extremely excited to watch my large adult sons mash and hopefully see another crazy fight.

Also my girlfriend is extremely not excited to sit through 3:30-4:00 of baseball but TOO BAD

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

:toot: Hicks is back in the lineup tonight!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Once hicks has his legs back and is playing center, it really is going to open things up for the yankees. The more they can alternate Stanton/Judge DH/RF the less they have to give them days off.

Also explaining the importance of getting to the ballpark early to my girlfriend is very difficult!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Watching Gray completely unable to throw strikes last night was rough. There was some dude who sounded like blackout drunk Barney Franky who yelled "SONNY GAY SUCKED" after every ball and I heard it so much

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Judge is the real deal, but I think he is always going to be plagued with hot/cold streaks just by the nature of his swing. Losing small amounts of bat speed is a huge deal for him, which is another reason to believe he is going to have a really short career. Which is very :smith:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Torres and Andujar finding success in the majors is an amazing thing for the yankees, because now that have amazing trade chips in Walker and Drury.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't really make much sense to have Drury, Walker and Torreyes all on the roster. Also, It completely changes what they can do in free agency this offseason. They should throw a stadium full of money at Kershaw and Corbin if you ask me.

Yes, a year ago I was all in on Machado, but Didi turning into prime A-rod, as well as having 5-6 great, cheap, cost controlled bats. This trade deadline they are almost certainly going to be all in on the best pitcher who is on the market. Frazier still is completely unnecessary, especially with Florial looking so good in the minors.

I still think Fullmer is going to end up on the Yanks come the trade deadline. Something like Frazier/Chance Adams/a lesser prospect seems like a good thing to trade for his 4 years of control. I'm not so sure that Kershaw is the best target, but Corbin seems like an obvious target for the Yankees. A Severino/Corbin/Tanaka/Fullmer/Gray rotation seems like what we could be looking at next year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I'm just not a big Fullmer fan.

This still makes no sense. Dude is like the 3rd or 4th best pitcher 25 or under in the entire league.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Fulmer, guys.

(I'm also not huge on him, low K-rates and good but not elite GB% are a worrying combo for Yankee Stadium.)

I dont understand this line of thinking. Dude is elite at preventing HR, literally 2nd best in the league last season.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nodoze posted:

I don't buy Fulmer as a sustainable good pitcher long term

You're not signing up for him "long term", you're signing up for his 25-30 seasons because he is still under team control until 2023.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Do we actually want to trade Frazier when Gardner is like 90 years old? I guess if you think you are one arm away from winning the world series this year you have to do it.

Even with gardy being old as gently caress, you have Stanton/Hicks/Judge/Ellsbury under contract until at least 2020 with Florial waiting in the wings before that. Frazier is ready now, and the only way that can actually make use of him is to trade him for something they can actually use.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Stanton is just so awful to watch right now. Brutal.

Sanchez is like the opposite of Stanton.

mikeraskol posted:

Holy gently caress we hit a dinger off Kuechel. And it was Stanton no less.

I’m going to buy a lottery ticket or something.

Life comes at you fast

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

On the other hand, Stanton's OPSing .800 and having a "down year" so I dont think there is literally anything to worry about.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Why are you like this?

I’m convinced McMagic is some kind of false flag poster who is purposefully trying to be the most stereotypically terrible Yankees fan of all time to make us all look bad

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

while this season is going just about as good as I could have ever imagined, Brett Gardner quietly looks extremely cooked and it makes me very sad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CC is obviously a gamble, as every 37 year old is a gamble to a certain extent. Regardless, it's exactly the kind of gamble a team in the Yankees should, and often do, make. We've had enough evidence to know that Sevy is for real, and Tanaka is more or less a known quantity. His peripherals look better than his ERA does this year, so you could suggest that he is performing below his means.

The biggest issues right now are depth, and if Grey is completely borked or not. Gray honestly looks like something is pretty wrong with him; he has no command what so ever. I'd really expect him to have something announced any day now.

They are going to buy someone at the trade deadline, the question is really who, and at what cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

I need to stop being so negative, because when I see these ridiculous comeback wins in the 7-8-9th innings, all I can think is that they can't keep this up and its unsustainable, and these will turn into losses later. I need to learn to enjoy the ride.

I guess if some of these turn to losses it wouldn't really matter though because you don't win 17 of 18 without a bunch of luck and that pace won't keep up for the rest of the year.

alternatively, there is fundamentally no difference between runs scored in the 8th inning vs. runs scored in the 3rd inning other than how we perceive them and what pitchers they are facing.

• Locked thread