Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Clearly it's Miguel Andujar that sucks.

Almost twice as many doubles as HRs? Smells like selfish half-effort.

Also, I just found this thread. Hello fellow Yankees people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hi

Don't argue with mcmagic

Don't worry, I know to ignore him from D&D threads.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

I think these Yankees, here, are a pretty good baseball team

I saw a complete lack of manufactured runs. This may be a result of the Yankees being bad, or the factory being shuttered due to tariffs. I will investigate.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

classic sonny tonight, folks

As soon as they announced the starting pitcher, my kid said "awww, we're gonna lose tonight. " She knows her baseball.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Stanton sometimes has these MISERABLE situational ABs... First pitch DP's... Swinging at pitches 2 or 3 feet out of the strike zone.

That was an important win with Cessa starting tomorrow.

He should emulate the guy leading the Yankees in hits.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hits are an ok stat in the sense that home runs are hits.

But since Triples are harder to hit than HRs, does this mean Triples are better than dingers? If so, would we even want to live in that world?

mcmagic posted:

Better than hits... I'm not arguing that Stanton is having a bad year.. He's not, he's been fine. I'm just commenting on the optics of some of his AB's that are a bit rough.

They should move him in the order so the guys in front of him have lower OBPs to lower his GIDP rate. Make it happen Boone.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Make the Triple count as a run, and then if the hitter crosses the plate it's another run on top of it.

CALL ME, ROBERT MANFRED.

Make a fancy chart showing it will improve the Pace of Play™ and it's a done deal.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

There's no way the Yankees are serious about Machado. He doesn't want to play 3B, and there's no way the Yankees are going to start him at SS over Didi.

I assume it's just the O's trying to drive up his price.

Or the Yankees trying to drive up his price for any other AL contender who is interested. That's my guess, because that trade makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AkumaHokoru posted:

Now...I may be wrong here but isn't 3B the position they put a player who is so-so in the field but has a bat worthy of a mlb team?

*checks historical data* Yes, the Yankees did keep A-Rod at third for a while. Check out.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Last night (or the night before) Kenny was talking about how Didi made hard plays look easy. My mind filled in the "... and Jeter made routine plays look difficult." for him.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Greg Bird giveth, Greg Bird does not taketh away that hit.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Super rich white guy is member of party that is most pro-super rich white guy. Make you think.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

The Yanks could possibly reacquire Nate EovaldiSonny Gray and I’d be alright with it

Some people can't handle New York.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

The last thing the Yankees need is more righty power. Also, Bird's D has been just as bad as Andujar's and I don't see you all over him... It makes zero sense to give up multiple elite level prospects for a rental player you don't even need. If they have such a hardon for Machado they could get him in the offseason (which would also be moronic since what they will need in the offseason is pitching.)

I think the general consensus is that if there is a trade to the Yanks, it will include signing an extension as part of the deal. I still don't like it, but if it somehow gets done *and* we still get some pitching, then I will be less confused / grumpy about it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

ALSO GREG BIRD IS PERFECT STOP SAYING MEAN THINGS ABOUT HIM.

Greg Bird’s swing is a thing of beauty.

If he could just make it so the barrel of the bat was going through the zone at the same time as the ball instead of a quarter second later. Man, that would be awesome.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I knew without clicking..... :v:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Walk Walk WP....

Nice implosion. Good job limiting the damage though.

It's UNBELIEVABLE that the Yankees have let Neil Walker suck this hard for 188 AB's. Cut bait already. He's beyond done.

They should come up with an excuse for Judge to skip the All Star Game.

The Yankees are ELEVEN GAMES better than this bullshit team and are still going to have to play a one game playoff... Good system MLB.

:matters:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

dont you understand yesterday's game was the most important game of the season. More important than tomorrows game and the game after and the game after

I always wondered why July 13 was circled with a big red marker on Aaron Boone’s calendar.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
What if we just let Aaron Judge pitch every 5th start?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AppropriateUser posted:

mcmagic... is right.

Whoa... les not say anything we can't take back.

Romine should be the starting catcher though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

I know the Yankees want Britton but he doesn't seem to me to be anywhere near the same pitcher he was before last season.

He's suffering from an acute case of "being on the Orioles" this year.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

If you can't draw the line from "ongoing groin injury" to "Sanchez is playing like a shell of himself" I don't know what to tell you.

Back in my day you just rubbed some dirt on it, furthermore.....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

The team that’s on pace to win 104 games is actually bad guys, slumps in July are insurmountable and there’s no hope

Why even bother saying you’re a fan when all you do is whine incessantly

If you look at how Boston started the season 17-2 and had an insurmountable five game lead, you'll see this whole season was a write off as of April 20th. Furthermore life is pain and all we have to look forward to is death. Eat Arby's.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Lack of focus is the same thing as lack of effort. It's not being ready to play in games against teams that they are going to need to beat to win the division. Giving up 9 runs to a AAA lineup while making moronic baserunning plays and having horrific AB's with RISP. It's not good enough.

This team is FORTY GAMES under 500.

A tidy 6 up 6 down against probably the worst pitcher still in the majors in 2018 to end it.

These lineups are inexcusable. Has Boone seen the standings?

Boone is reading your posts and has given up.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Iodised QQ posted:

I'm generally down on bird, but he barely missed 2 homeruns today and then finally got that late one tonight. Combined with some other hard luck outs the past few days. Would really be nice if he started coming on to pick up the slack while judge was out.

Bird is like the starters with "Great Stuff™" that just don't seem to get past the third inning much. That swing is a thing of beauty, and he *almost* is mashing the ball all the time. Then just when you are going to give up on him he hits one out and you say "okay, I'll give him another shot."

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

While I understand their arguments for this, most of his problems have stemmed from a total lack of FB command, so I'm not sure if throwing more of them will help so much.

Gray's problems are thinking too much and thinking too much. When he goes slow, he is terrible.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dutchy posted:

Yeah. I think I remember someone (can't remember if it was Fangraphs or someone on Twitter or whatever) making the argument that not throwing his fastball has possibly hurt his feel for the pitch, which is plausible but a really impossible to prove chicken-and-egg theory. And it's not unprecedented for him to just lose his straight stuff, that's what happened during his no good very bad 2016.

so i dunno. I just want him to get better because I always loved Sonny.

Yeah, I like Sonny and hope he can turn it around, if not here, then somewhere because he seems like a guy who is trying his best, but putting too much pressure on himself.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ihatepants posted:

Lynn isn't great but at least he can be league average. Sonny Gray is one of the worst in baseball right now.

Yeah, but did you see that start he had on June 6th? What if he was going to have another game like that again!!

:cry:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Rick Porcello throws 88 MPH and sucks. If you're getting one hit by that kind of pitcher you're so fouled up mentally that it's quite worrying.

I know, if he was any good he'd have won a Cy Young award or something in the past few years.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mikeraskol posted:

Chance Adams is about to get hosed up.

From all the champagne he’s going to drink after his first start perfect game? Is that what you mean? My guess is that is what you mean. Gotta be it.

:ohdear:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mikeraskol posted:

Gray would have given up like 9 runs by now.

Hey, come on... let's be fair to Sonny here. He only would have given up 3 or 4 runs in that game. And then been pulled in the 2nd inning

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

He would have still managed to throw 108 pitches though.

The Sonny Gray Experience: Get this hitter to 0-2, and then nibble for 17 pitches to get them to a full count.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ihatepants posted:

I can't believe that there are a ton of Yankees fans who absolutely hate Ryan Ruocco and are happy that Kay got an extension to keep doing Yankees games. Kay is such a shithead and isn't very good or entertaining.

My hot take: Kay sucks now, and away games in Toronto are the best because for some mysterious reason he won't go to Canada.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Sonny Gray: Elite Closer

Who knew the secret to fixing Gray was putting more pressure on him.....

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I'm going to go to bed with fake confidence that we will win this game and then dream about some crazy trade happening where we get Joey Votto.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

I would say trade him but he's so bad they should just outright him to Korea.

Send the rest of the team with them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't call 7ip 3er against the White Sox any great shakes.

If he threw 9 innings of shutout ball you'd complain about the one hit he gave up in the 4th and how he doesn't have it any more.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

If Didi's April is the mark for "good month" then everybody is bad at baseball.

EDIT: Why are any of us even trying to argue this point.

:matters:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

There are examples of players improving defensively. It's not impossible that over the next few years he does get better.

Reads post.

Looks at avatar.

Double checks username.

You feeling okay mcmagic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ihatepants posted:

I hope they move Andujar to 1st this offseason or convince Harper to sign up for playing there, because Bird is a really disappointing bust.

Yeah, it's time for the Bird experiment to end. I wonder what would have happened had he stayed healthy on arrival. Did the fits and starts of injuries and little snippets of playing time lead to this, or was this the guy he was? We will never know! :iiam:

Andujar to first is an intriguing idea though.

• Locked thread