Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Shoot Ellsbury into the sun (AT&T Park) and give me my regular dose of Red Thunder in 2018.

Cashman is also saying they want Chad Green to come to Spring Training as a starter which seems...really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They should be bringing back CC, so the rotation is already set. I mean, even if they don't there are guys in AAA I would want there over moving Green.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

He deserves another change to fail as a starter. He's been a starter his whole career.

Yeah but he hasn't been a particularly good one in the majors. This isn't Severino-in-2016, we saw that Severino could dominate as a starter in 2015.

I think the odds are much higher this turns into another Joba situation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

There is no universe where Stanton to the Yankees makes any sense. That isn't happening.

Dinger Universe. It's real, and I live there.

mcmagic posted:

I don't see the downside with letting him try to start. Even if he ends up back in the pen which is probably what happens.

The issue I see is that it means they don't try to re-sign CC, and then you go into ST with Green penciled in for 5th starter, it doesn't work out, and you end up having to pull a guy up from AAA or spot start or something. That would be a bad spot for this team to be in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

VikingSkull posted:

I had heard that they wanted to go with a more analytic style of management and he was resistant to changing.

I don't buy this, Joe was really into analytics (although probably not the degree the FO wanted him to be). I think his relationship with the FO just broke down over time, which I can totally see since he always seemed so drat tight.

Also the non-challenge in ALDS Game 2 had to have been instructive to some degree. Not necessarily in that he didn't actually challenge, but that he completely ignored Sanchez very clearly yelling that the ball hit the bat and Joe didn't even seem to consider doing anything.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

So his career will be undone by a swarm of midges?

HEY GET OUTTA HERE YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Meulens interviewed yesterday, but yeah, he's still my preferred choice as of now.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 18, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/yankeespr/status/932764850031398912

I feel that all the kids that get picked up will make it back to NYY

I need to see what Nestor Cortes can do, but he's probably most likely to stick somewhere else, even if they just stash him in a bullpen...

Loaisiga must be really good, he's missed most of the last two seasons and was only in like, A ball this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
100% re-sign CC, and as far as 2B/Castro goes... Gleybaby is coming.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Gimme Bam Bam please. We need two knights on one team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Red Sox, too. That obnoxious Dunkin' Donuts logo everywhere is a bit much.

I'm #YankeesOnly as gently caress but AMERICA RUNS ON DUNKIN, BITCH.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

I guess that’s true if you only consider the part of the country east of the Mississippi as America and completely ignore the west coast.

I mean...yeah.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How to botch your job interview:

https://twitter.com/mikemayerMMO/status/938884927180955649

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Rejoice you degenerates

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think they'll mainly cycle RF/DH. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them playing both corner OF spots a decent amount in Spring Training.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 14, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Fair enough. I just think it’s weird that the Yankees have been emphasizing with their minor leaguers to play multiple positions to maintain flexibility, but don’t want to play one (or both) corner outfielder to the opposite corner.

gently caress I meant to say I wouldn't be surprised. This is like the 5th time I've made that typo in the last week or so, what's wrong with me.

Mostly I think they'll just want to keep Gardy in the lineup as much as possible, but I guess they could slide him over to CF. A lot probably depends on how Hicks does, really.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mikeraskol posted:

Personally I’d take the 3b every time unless Machado puts up another year like this one. Especially on a team with Judge and Stanton.

But its hard to say. Harper’s bat looks otherworldly at this point when he’s healthy, but he can’t stay healthy.

Yankees will not end up with either of them though.

It's a tough call that depends on a lot of moving parts right now. Also I think Harper has gotten the same "Can't stay healthy" label that Stanton without really earning it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The ZiPS projections for the 2018 Yankees are out, and they're uh...good.

Also, check this out:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

The Yankee world is hyping Bird up so much this winter that I'm 100% sure he's going to get hurt 2 weeks into Spring Training.

Heck to you! He's gonna spread his wings and flyyyyyyyyyy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khD080nZVc0

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Is that over Ortiz' whole career? His OPS+ was only 116?

I think they're age-specific comps, so it doesn't actually mean much since Ortiz was a late bloomer but still.

EDIT: OK not age-specific, but based on age for the comp baselines? I'm not sure I 100% understand it but I think it means it's better than I thought it was.

https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/949395629855465477

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 5, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am so happy that CC is back.

https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/951118024316260352

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You should all listen to R2C2, it's so good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Michael Kay claimed on the radio today that the Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7/160 but he didn't accept within 48 hours so they passed

I don't know why Michael Kay thinks he has access or sources

He apparently also thinks that what the Mets did with Bruce is directly comparable to what the Yankees did with Chapman re: trading and re-signing him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kirios posted:

What on Earth have Yankees fans seen with Bird to think he's going to be this mega stud? Nothing he has done in his entire six year professional career makes you think this guy has even All Star potential.

Dude's got a good eye and really good left handed power.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

humpthewind posted:

Judge called bird the best hitter they had in the Sanchez/judge/etc group that came up through the minors together fwiw

Yeah, everybody in the org thinks Bird is an insanely good hitter. There was a great quote from one of the minor league managers about how if Bird took a called strike but insisted it was a ball, they would check the tape and he was always right.

I think he'll probably never put up an ridiculous average even if he plays a full season this year, but his power and eye are legit.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 15, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think Bird's defense is fine. He's no Tex, but Tex is an outlier.

Also you should all read Jeff Passan's article about the economics of baseball.

quote:

“Brian Cashman has been one of the best GMs for 20 years, and this is the first year he’s really been recognized as a good GM. Why?” one official said. “Because [the Yankees] cut payroll. Because he had more homegrown talent, as if that means a drat thing. And because you can’t be a genius if you spend money. You can only be a genius if your team wins through not spending money. And that’s ridiculous. It’s absolutely ridiculous. But they’ve done a good job in conditioning the whole world to see it that way.”

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mage_Boy posted:

Don't know if you guys saw the bobble heads their giving out here at the AAA park:

https://twitter.com/RailRidersTT/status/952935231698427904

I am definitely making at least one road trip down there this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees have been trying to trade Gardner for years and they never do and it turns out that when Gardner is going well the Yankees win a lot of games. He's a pretty underrated good player.

I don't think they have been trying to trade him. I think he's the obvious trade candidate because of Ellsbury's contract, but the Yankees properly value Gardner and he's not on a particularly good or bad contract. All of the Cashman quotes about potential Gardner trades are about how they've gotten offers on him but none that meet their criteria, which doesn't sound like he's really ever shopped him around.

Carlosologist posted:

and I agree that the roster is what the roster is at this point. It seems like the Yanks are gonna give the kids every chance to prove themselves this spring, but whatever MILB deal they make for an infielder will be notable since that player may break camp if he performs well/better than Andujar or Torres

Making Andujar an untouchable in the Cole talks makes me think they have him penciled in to start at 3B this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Law part of the pod is really great, he hit on a lot of stuff that has interested me about the farm for the past couple of years, even Mateo's promotion to AA last season.

And yes, it's amazing how many people have taken "We want him to get better at defense" to mean "He is a complete butcher" with Andujar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's just a silly gimmick around having someone at camp to give leadership talks. It's not Tebow.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Jesse Lippin-Foster at Bronx BP wrote up the team's PECOTA numbers and it's nothing shocking except for the Bullpen bit. I didn't realize Dellin was the best projected reliever and man I hope that comes true.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Seriously, the Sox signed Martinez as a response to the Yankees. It's not an improvement that the Yankees have to "answer" back to.

I hope that resetting the tax means they spend big next year and beyond, but if they don't because Andujar stepped up big at 3B, and they have Stanton instead of Harper it seems like a net win rather than the Yankees sinking into spending irrelevance.

I guess I would like to have seen the Yankees sign Yu, but it's not like they don't have a good rotation as it stands. The entire "Oh man the Yankees pitching is gonna be iffy" storyline should have died the second Tanaka declined his opt-out.

EDIT: I was a Headley and Frazier fan but look at their numbers, it's not an impossible performance for Andujar to follow-up on. And it's not like there was an obvious slam-dunk 3B/2B out there for the team to sign.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 20, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

They also have ??? And ??? At 2nd and 3rd, respectively. I love CC, but I’d rather have had Darvish for multiple years than CC for 1. They also still have $22M+ to spend and have just sat on it. I love prospects as much as any other fan, but most fail. I think a lot of fans are expecting Andujar and Torres to be as successful as Judge and Sanchez.

Torres and Andujar don't have to be Judge and Sanchez though, they have to be Castro and Frazier/Headley. That seems doable, especially for guys who have ranked so highly on most prospect lists.

They really have around $12m to spend given that they need to set aside money for mid-season moves/benefits. I want to see them spend it but on who?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

I don’t buy this at all. Martinez was listed as the Sox’s main target since the offseason began because everyone knew their biggest weakness was power hitting. This wasn’t a response to the Yankees.

I agree that there wasn’t one, but I just feel like second and third are gonna be a huge negative this entire season. I would have felt more confident in the team if they only had to fill in one of these spots with a rookie, instead of both.

The Sox needed power no matter what the Yankees did, but the Yankees also didn't just rest on their laurels when it came to the lineup. That was poorly phrased on my part.

I think Andujar and Torres will be positives. But even if they're just 1 WAR players, which FA out there do you want to sign? I simply don't see their infield moves as being afraid of spending money rather than a lack of good FA options/trust in their player development.

I'm honestly more concerned about the Yankees falling back into their old doldrums of perpetually blocking prospects because they need a "proven veteran" playing every position than I am about them giving rookies a shot like they have been. If Andujar/Torres/Wade combine to kill the Yankees contention this year, the team was hosed anyway, it just came a year or two earlier.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 20, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Clint Frazier is still with the Yankees.

EDIT: Also the Yankees still have good OF depth even past him, we're talking about 5th+ OF here. That said, waiving Ellsbury doesn't solve anything, it doesn't clear his payroll.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 20, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, if the option is waiving Ellsbury or having him buried on the depth chart, I'll take buried. The end result is the same if we're talking about FA signings.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/RobertMurrayFRS/status/966090499974189056

Man, I like Solak. I guess he's behind Torres and Wade and probably even Thairo, though.

BRING ME ARCHER, CASHMAN.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh, well then...

https://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/966093271217750022

The Rays traded Wil Myers for Souza Jr. They're trading him for Solak. loving hell.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 21, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Apparently Widener is going to AZ, too. So Yankees definitely dealing from depth here for an immediate need. I figured Walker was gonna be the stopgap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Torreyes makes a lot of contact, his skillset is useful on this team unless Wade really steps up this spring.

I think they'll hope for that situation, but keeping Toe as the bench player and Wade going to AAA isn't a worst case scenario for me.

• Locked thread