Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Yeah, I don't see how Green coming to camp as a starter makes sense. He spent the whole year throwing his fastball and slider and not developing a third pitch. Unless this is subterfuge by Cashman to downplay interest in going after any starters by suggesting that he's willing to just go internal to paper over the fifth starter spot

He deserves another change to fail as a starter. He's been a starter his whole career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but he hasn't been a particularly good one in the majors. This isn't Severino-in-2016, we saw that Severino could dominate as a starter in 2015.

I think the odds are much higher this turns into another Joba situation.

I don't see the downside with letting him try to start. Even if he ends up back in the pen which is probably what happens.

Also, The Yankees aren't Trump. Trump is gauche neu money from the lovely outer Burroughs without any real accomplishments. The yankees are old money. They are the Kennedys/Roosevelts of baseball teams.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 15, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There is no universe where Stanton to the Yankees makes any sense. That isn't happening.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

100% re-sign CC, and as far as 2B/Castro goes... Gleybaby is coming.

If they get Ohtani it probably doesn't make sense to bring CC back.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's very easy to see why people hate the Yankees whenever you watch a Yankees press conference.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Red Sox, too. That obnoxious Dunkin' Donuts logo everywhere is a bit much.

Dunkin Donuts is a billion times more respectable than some of the awful Yankee sponsors, like, for instance, KOCH loving INDUSTRIES.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

the second A-Rod contract was also very bad

A Rod's contracts were both fine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

I mean, the second A-Rod deal was from 2008 to 2017. He was fine from 2008 to 2011, but 2012 he had the second hip surgery, 2013 was a partial season because of Biogenesis, he was gone for all of 2014, 2015 was a dead cat bounce, and he was released in 2016

there were only four seasons of good play in there, it was a hideously bad deal in hindsight

Aside from injury, they got their money's worth when he played. When you say "fine from 2008 to 2011" you mean MVP caliber third base. You can't say that for Ellsbury. Any long term deal is going to be frontloaded preformance wise and you will have a hard time finding better performance than they got in the first half of the deal.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 8, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Is that over Ortiz' whole career? His OPS+ was only 116?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Michael Kay claimed on the radio today that the Yankees offered Yu Darvish 7/160 but he didn't accept within 48 hours so they passed

I don't know why Michael Kay thinks he has access or sources

That seems like an overpay. Pass.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, everybody in the org thinks Bird is an insanely good hitter. There was a great quote from one of the minor league managers about how if Bird took a called strike but insisted it was a ball, they would check the tape and he was always right.

I think he'll probably never put up an ridiculous average even if he plays a full season this year, but his power and eye are legit.

Good thing BA doesn't matter at all. I'm worried that Bird is going to be Nick Johnson 2.0 but there is no doubt that if he actually does stay healthy he's going to be very good.

Kirios posted:

What on Earth have Yankees fans seen with Bird to think he's going to be this mega stud? Nothing he has done in his entire six year professional career makes you think this guy has even All Star potential.

Really? He slugged 530 as a 22 year old with a 135 OPS+ and played GG defense at 1B. The only question in his game is heath.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 15, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know he didn't live up to his hype but in terms of getting on base being another Nick Johnson is no bad thing. Nick's 2006 slash is particularly good, and his career numbers are pretty respectable.

He was a very good player. Just couldn't stay on the field.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah bird is whatever at first base, but its first base so who cares about defense.

Seeing Nick Johnson's name thrown around actually got me thinking, "Nick Johnson with more power" is probably a good comp for bird, similar health issues too.

Nah. He's not Nick Johnson. He's not going to have Johnson's OBP skill. The only reason I bought Johnson up was the injury problems.

ihatepants posted:

I'd really like for the Yankees to trade Gardner (ideally, it would be Ellsbury, but we all know how unrealistic that is) and then sign Darvish and Avila and then call it an offseason, but it looks like they're gonna stick with the team as currently constructed (or sign a stopgap infielder).

The Yankees have been trying to trade Gardner for years and they never do and it turns out that when Gardner is going well the Yankees win a lot of games. He's a pretty underrated good player.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think they have been trying to trade him. I think he's the obvious trade candidate because of Ellsbury's contract, but the Yankees properly value Gardner and he's not on a particularly good or bad contract. All of the Cashman quotes about potential Gardner trades are about how they've gotten offers on him but none that meet their criteria, which doesn't sound like he's really ever shopped him around.

Making Andujar an untouchable in the Cole talks makes me think they have him penciled in to start at 3B this year.

The stupid thing is that Gardner was always pretty close to as good as Ellsbury. Some years a little better, some year a little worse, and they paid Ellsbury like a billion times as much. That must annoy gardner... Either way, there has been rumors about Gardner being traded for a number of offseasons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

I just want to endlessly dunk on 2007-era Baseball America and Sons of Sam Horn, which would continuously poo poo on Gardner while endlessly praising Ellsbury. Gardner was always, always better and in a way I'm happy Ellsbury is glued to the bench and gigantic useless sunk cost for the Yankees just to prove that point forever eternally.

I still can't believe they let Cano walk and signed Ellsbury thinking that was a reasonable attempt at replacing him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Jesse Lippin-Foster at Bronx BP wrote up the team's PECOTA numbers and it's nothing shocking except for the Bullpen bit. I didn't realize Dellin was the best projected reliever and man I hope that comes true.

If any team in history could just rip up defined bullpen roles it's the 2018 Yankees. Come on Booney.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

They also have ??? And ??? At 2nd and 3rd, respectively. I love CC, but Iíd rather have had Darvish for multiple years than CC for 1. They also still have $22M+ to spend and have just sat on it. I love prospects as much as any other fan, but most fail. I think a lot of fans are expecting Andujar and Torres to be as successful as Judge and Sanchez.

I would MUCH rather have CC for 1 year and go back into the market next year than sign Darvish long term.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

As far as free agent talent, though, none really match what you would get out of Darvish. Keuchel is the only one thatís even worth looking at because thereís no way Kershaw is signing for any team but the Dodgers. They can always look to see whatís available in the trade market next year, I suppose.

Darvish is on the wrong side of 30 and has like 2100 innings of pro baseball on his arm. There is no way his next 5 years are going to be better than his last 5. It's just not a smart profile to sign in free agency.

If they go with Andujar and Torres they are going to have this 20m or so play with if they need to make a move during the season and they definitely have the trade chips. I really do think that Andujar will hit, it's all about his D.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 19, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

How do you know the Yankees still won't sign a veteran IF for depth and competition?

This is the Yankees going back to their early 90s strategy of developing an in house core and then smartly supplementing it via FA. This is not them turning into the Mets. The Red Sox responded to NY's big acquisition today.

The rotation is good shape. I'm not sure if they'll be as crazy with spending as the past decade was, but it'd be a shock if they don't have a top 3 payroll every year moving forward. They're just being smarter though, and the economics of baseball are changing.

The rotation is in much worse shape than the IF you ask me. Their 5th starter was terrible in the second half of last season so he's not a given and CC and Tanaka are both at least moderate injury risks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Overreacting to the Red Sox signing JD Martinez is pretty loving lolworthy

He's VERY good.

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's a fifth starter, who had a sub-4 ERA, and a 4.22 ERA post ASG. Montgomery's numbers were strong outside of July. Everyone has risks. I don't think adding an actual fifth starter, who would be considerably worse than Montgomery and creates other problems, is that pressing. But would I rather have a Jaime Garcia type as my first or second replacement for an injury? Sure.

Teams that wouldn't trade places with the Yankees in an instant: Astros, Dodgers, Indians. That's about it. This is the second or third best team in baseball on paper with a consensus top 3 (they're probably 2nd behind the Braves) farm system.

Cobb and Lynn are pretty likely to be better than Montgomory. I would actually stick with him but it's not like there isn't room for improvement there and like I said, It's gonna be a sure thing that CC and Tanaka will at least spend some time on the DL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's... fine? He is a terrible defensive player and is 30 coming off of a season where he outperformed his career OPS by 200 points. Calling JD martinez VERY good seems extremely shortsighted.

https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/965772741705129984

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

JD Martinez is good.

The point is its so typically Yankee Fan to freak out about the Red Sox adding a good piece on the same day that the reigning NL MVP takes batting practice in a Yankee uniform.

I'm not freaking out but I'm also not making plans for my world series flights yet which it seems like a lot of fans are.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trust me, the Yankees tried to trade Ellsbury. He won't wave his NTC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yes that is what's keeping the yankees from trading ellsbury, not the fact that he sucks and is paid a lot of money.

It is, because they were willing to eat most of the contract and he was actually decent at the end of the last year. He could start for a number of teams. He's just been refusing to waive his NTC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The Yankees did go after Yu Darvish, he just wasn't interested.

Waiving Ellsbury seems like a bad move to me. With Frazier gone there's no obvious 5th OFer ahead of Ellsbury. Last season Hicks seemed to move ahead of him in the playing time order. And Judge and Stanton are probably going to see time at DH and we still don't know how that rotation will work. Gardner's up in years. Hicks has had injury problems and isn't really "established" in my mind. And there's always injuries. So there's a place on the team for Ellsbury, I think. At least for now. Cutting him for a huge financial cost and no return doesn't seem necessary to me at this point.

Either way that doesn't seem like the Yankees being "cheap."

Cutting him makes zero sense. Why do you assume that Frazier is gone?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Who's the odd man out here? Torreyes? Wade? I hope Andujar still gets the biggest shot to win 3B.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 21, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wade just didn't hit AT ALL last year. If anything he seems like a guy you'd want hitting every day in AAA. Obviously if Torres isn't the starting 2B he will be in AAA too but they really need to give him and Andujar every chance to win those jobs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

They are clearly loving with Torres' service time, so at this point I would not expect to see him until september call ups unless he like, explodes in the minors or something.

IDK that that is clear at all. I don't remember the Yankees doing much of service time fuckery in the past and every report out of camp is that he's going to start the exhibition season at 2B and that that job is his to lose.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/MazzNYDN/status/966382930640691200

All Andujar does is hit and all they do is keep burying him behind middling players.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

The last time I have to watch Torreyes swing at every pitch he sees can't come soon enough

This is a weird opinion. Torreyes played very well last season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

He was a little lucky on balls in play, and was completely empty calories batting average. Wade is a solid prospect who profiles as a regular on a second division club, or a super sub with a good team. If they don't screw it up he'll be a valuable piece for years to come, if they do then he'll be a five year starter for the Pirates/Royals/Marlins/etc...

I wouldn't pay too much attention to FO comments right now on Andujar. See how he is in camp. Although I'm a bit of a skeptic both because of his free swinging, and wanting Machado badly in a year.

Machado is talking a big game about staying at SS for the long haul. That seems to take the yankees out of his market.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Torreyes sucks. He hits 290 with no power, can't take a walk and has zero plate discipline. He has no future other than a bench guy and I'd rather not watch him play every day

He was used as a bench guy though. No one is saying they want him to play every day.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

So it's good to see that Mr. Gregory Bird is still all about Meredith

https://twitter.com/justinddiamond/status/967131721304076290

THE DRAMA.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 23, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Montgomery looked great today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/968482032341962752

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Andujar hit another homer. I just want him to be better than Devers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I am Gary just hit a 975 foot homer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Man is Florial a good looking player.

Edit: Andujar does NOT want to go to AAA.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 1, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Most likely opening day lineup might be Andujar at 3B and Drury at 2B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I've heard Andujar's glove is fine but his arm is inaccurate.

• Locked thread