Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Hello, here is a mostly if not completely copy-pasted OP from last year! Enjoy!

It's that time of the year again and I'm once again doing this because no one else seems to be doing it. Also like last year, I will be participating so if you get matched to me, it will not be so secret. I'll still make it random and all that but just know that going in. Alternatively, if any one reading this wants to take over running this, I'll hand over the keys to the e-mail account.

Anyways, all I need from you is to send a little info to:
cinedss2017@gmail.com

What I need you to send is
1) Your SA username
2) A link to your profile
3) Your actual name
4) Your address (or at least where you want your Santa to send your gift)
5) Whether you want 1 or 2 Santees (2 Santees also means you get 2 Santas)
6) Whether you're willing to ship internationally (not shipping internationally is only an option for people from the US. If you are not from the US and really prefer to ship within your country, I'll see what I can do but I can't guarantee anything. Expect to ship internationally)
7) Your Age/Sex
8) Whether you own a Bluray player
9) Anything you want your Santa to know about yourself, what you want and what you don't want. You should also post this in this thread but here you can also put stuff you don't want public (like Amazon wish lists).

A few other things:
-No one is expecting you to buy the that that $250 Miyazaki Bluray set but be expected minimum price for your gift is $20. You can go way over that if you want but please don't be cheaper than that.
-Once you get your Santa/Santee and want to message them, PM me or send something to the e-mail and I'll relay it for you.
-Please be an actual CineD poster. You don't have to be one of the regulars or someone that posts alot but still be someone that's had some sort of presence.
-If you think you're going to have any trouble getting your gift there on time, let me know and I'll let your Santee know. Don't make your Santee worry they got stiffed.
-If you haven't received your gift by January 1st and have heard nothing, let me know and I'll look into it.
-Don't be an rear end. If you sign up please actually send someone something cool.

The Deadline for signups is December 3rd. More realistically the cutoff will be whenever after December 3rd I start making the list, but I'll let the thread know when that happens.

AND IT IS DONE AND ASSIGNMENTS ARE OUT

I think that's everything. If I forgot anything, let me know and I'll put it in the OP.

So after you've sent your e-mail, post in the thread. Let your Santa know you're here and what you want. Also just in general discuss things about your interests or try to inquire into the interests of others. Once you get your loot please post it in the thread so we can all see how awesome your Santa was. So good luck, have fun and merry whatever you celebrate!

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm in, and I already sent you my info.

Here's my Letterboxd profile and this is my To-Watch list. If a movie on my To-Watch list, there's a 95% chance I don't own it. I also participate in the Shameful thread

Things I love:
Criterion blu-rays, even though I don't have any.
Horror movies (I live in the horror thread)
Documentaries, especially about art, or film, or writers, or weirdos
Animation
Short Films
Weird poo poo
Noir/Detective stories

Directors I love:
David Lynch, Coen Bros., Tarantino, Linklater, Cronenberg, PT Anderson, Herzog, Kubrick, Spike Jonze, Edgar Wright,

Some favorite films of mine:
Brazil
Everything by David Lynch, Kubrick, the Coens, PT Anderson
After Hours
Dead Alive
Stop Making Sense
Adaptation
Synecdoche, New York
El Topo
Dazed and Confused, American Graffiti, and other "he lets wander around in an era for a day"
From Beyond

I'm cool with brand new blu-rays, and I'm cool with used stuff too. I'll gladly take surprises/wild cards/things not on my list that I might enjoy.

I also like books on film theory or really good film criticism/essays.

A Letterboxd list of movies I own on blu-ray or DVD

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 19, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ho ho ho

I'm also in and sent my info.

Things I love:
Blurays! especially ones from niche dealers specializing in restoring obscure stuff (vinegar syndrome, severin, arrow video type stuff).
I'm a horror junkie, but also a general movie lover. If you prefer to know genres I particularly fond of scifi, westerns, films from asia, BnW era movies, and comic book movies.

I'm going to make up a letterboxd page of what I own to make it easier on my santa later today, but here's my letterboxd profile and watch page.

I own a region free player so if you buy movies you can buy them from anywhere on the planet and I can watch it. I also don't mind getting books, posters, art, toys, film and audio equipment, or whatever you feel like (not poop or bugs in a bag though!).

e:
List of blurays

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 20, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In(fo already sent)

Horror (comics, movies, books, etc.)
Westerns (Classic, Spaghetti, Revisionist, Acid, etc.)
Film Noir and other hardboiled stuff
The occult/paranormal/monster folklore
Filmmaking (so anything informative and useful about any aspect of filmmaking would be very welcome)
Hardboiled/detective/crime books and films.

Favorite directors:
Romero, Coen brothers, Nicolas Winding Refn, Tarantino, Argento, Fulci, Lynch, Scorsese, Agnes Varda, Chan-wook Park, Sergio Leone, Mario Bava (I am a basic bitch)

Jennifer Kent, David Robert Mitchell, and Robert Eggers are also candidates.

Favorite films alphabetically:
Alien
Carnival of Souls
The Evil Dead
Fargo
Goodfellas
Hara Kiri
The Haunting
Possession
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Thing

Letterboxd:
https://letterboxd.com/Gnonn/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Going to do this yet again so I can fly in my magic helicopter. Won't that be loads of fun?

I'm actually fine with getting into stuff completely off my radar. Last year, FreudianSlippers sent me a pair of Icelandic films (Cold Fever and Rock i Reykjavik) and axleblaze (I think?) sent a few of newer ones (The Oversimplification of Her Beauty, Cop Car, and Green Room). All of which I enjoyed immensely.

My Letterboxd page: https://letterboxd.com/egbertsouse/

Favorite "established" filmmakers: Stanley Kubrick, Orson Welles, Norman McLaren, Jacques Tati, Kenneth Anger, Buster Keaton, Powell & Pressburger, F.W. Murnau, Krzysztof Kieślowski, Wes Anderson, David Lynch
(established as I've seen either all their films or a substantial majority)

Blind Spots: Always trying to see more foreign film. Only Japanese films I've seen are a bunch of Kurosawa and Miyazaki, one Ozu, one Itami, one Mizoguchi. Only seen one Fassbender film. Only one African film (Touki Bouki). Haven't seen much African-American centric cinema. Haven't seen much giallo or slasher, though I have a tender tummy. I'd love to see more exploitation stuff.

Tough sell: I tend to skip new releases in favor of older ones. Only new films I've bothered to see theatrically this year have been Get Out, Rogue One, Wonder Woman, and Dunkirk - though it's mainly because my local theater is a multiplex, not a nice little indie place (like Atlanta's Midtown or Plaza theaters).

Top 10 movies I've seen this year for the first time:
Tampopo
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Phantom of the Paradise
The Double Life of Veronique
Army of Darkness
The World of Apu
Princess Mononoke
Carnival of Souls
Stalker
Withnail & I

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 29, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Waddup its ya boy, i just sent my email

Things i love:

Horror movies
Communism
Pretty colors
Satan

Getting a gift is a joy in itself so dont worry too much about what to get me, anything you're passionate about and want to share with another person is dope in my book

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm in.

I love sharing in someone's niche hobby or obsession, so anything that could be a peek into your weird and obscure world or subculture I'm into. Get me into your Favorite Thing that I've never heard of, or have heard of but probably haven't given a chance. Or just include your favorite book or movie you think I haven't seen. Gift(s) don't have to relate to film at all. Would enjoy one big thing as much as a bunch of small things. Blu-rays are 👌, used or new but not region-free. Wouldn't hurt if you included a favorite candy or snack of yours, especially if it's from a non-US culture. I'm picky about visual art. Watchlist. Letterboxd.

Horror
Sci-fi
Detectives, kid detectives
Pretentious bullshit
Vinegar Syndrome, Arrow, etc.
Film restoration/history
Lost/forgotten media

Dislikes:
Proud nerd culture
Toys, t-shirts, posters, video games
Anything that could be found in a Loot Crate

Feel free to ignore likes/dislikes. Overall I'd just like something interesting and unexpected.

e: oh yeah, booze is cool too.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 29, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm in!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm in!

Edit:

Likes: I absolutely love behind-the-scenes / making-of books, although I own very few. I just read the Heaven's Gate making-of recently, to give you an idea.

- Favorite movies are Ghostbusters (duh), the Godfather trilogy, Heat, 3:10 to Yuma (both), Scream, Halloween, RoboCop, Alien, Prometheus ... basically, I have a huge boner for Ridley Scott. Also, I lived in Baltimore for a year, love Homicide: Life on the Street, and am a sucker for anything about that city's history.

Dislikes: I don't do T-shirts or other stuff along those lines. Also, please do not send alcohol, because it will get poured down the drain.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 29, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm in.

https://letterboxd.com/TildeSwinton/

Favorite directors:
Welles
Wes Anderson
Seijun Suzuki
Linklater
Verhoeven

Patches, I've got a denim vest that could always use more decor
Sci-fi, comedies, action movies

Please don't get me:
Anything that gives off a Teefury vibe (Two Things shirts and the like)
Horror (not an active dislike, it's just usually not my scene)
Vinyl

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I done sent my email

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
By the way, since we have mostly the usual people, I'll try and see if I can find the master list I made last year so people don't get the same people they got last year but beyond that I make no promises

Also I'll probably send out matches tomorrow evening so if you're on the fence you have until then

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm In!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I think everything has been sent out and everyone has their Santees. If I hosed anything up please let me know as soon as possible (I probably hosed something up, I'm tired) and if you have any questions just PM or e-mail the Santa address and I'll do what I can.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ho ho ho now I have a Santee

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So everyone good? Everyone not having any problems? No questions? Good? Good

by the way, I never made an introductory post here but I think I wear my interests on my sleeve around here. I made a post in GBS SS so I'll just copy and paste that

Dear Santa

The main thing I'm interested in is video game related stuff. I pretty much have all the games I need though so I prefer game related merch than actual games.To give an idea of the kind of stuff I like my favorite games this year include A Night in the Woods, Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, Nier, Horizon, Sonic Mania and in between all that type of stuff I played a lot of Overwatch

I also like movies a lot. I like weird genre stuff more than mainstream stuff most of the time though I'm not opposed to mainstream stuff. My favorite director's include Tarantino, Kurosawa, Miyazaki, Bergman and Woody Allen. My favorite movies of this year were Colossal, Raw, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, A Ghost Story and Dunkirk.

I also like cartoons but I'm not quite as into that stuff as I used to be. I like the usual stuff dumb geeks like, like Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Rick and Morty and Venture Brothers.

I realize in writing this I seem like the lamest person ever but :shrug:

Still, feel free to just get me what you want, as long as it's not something god damned horrific (please no Dreamcasts full of cockroaches).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just ordered my Santee's main gift. I was going to have it delivered directly from the distributor, but then it wouldn't have any other goodies or even a note. So, I should have it shipped out by early next week.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just shipped.

Hopefully my Santee should receive it before the heat death of the universe, which is not a guarantee when shipping from Iceland.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
My child will be receiving his gift.... idk, i cant buy anything til i get paid on Friday but i promise Friday night i will order everything

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Someone should be expecting something soon!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A second someone should also keep their eyes open for boxes

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My santee's main gift was supposed to arrive today, but it didn't. Hopefully it'll arrive by Friday since I'll be out of town for work.

If all else fails, I guess I could send a box with my hair and a watch chain.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Aw poo poo, looks like Santa wants me to cry:

Absolutely love this. I'm a huge Hertzfeldt fan, and I haven't a few of the films included in this compilation. There's a really cool book inside the case based on World of Tomorrow, as well.

This is awesome. These films hit me in a way that I can't describe but love. You did great work, Santa. Thank you.

Now I just gotta find my pipe and my tissues and start feeling existential.

:350: :cry: :350:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Santees should watch for packages in the next few days!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My Santee's gifts have been ordered! One part should arrive this friday, and the rest next week.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ordered some gifts for some goon. Should be there Saturday.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Thank you to my santa, who is all the more notable for giving me a gift despite the fact that I'm too hard up to participate this year! I received a gift card to Amoeba Music today, which I used to buy Tokyo Drifter, one of my favorite movies in terms of visuals, on Blu-Ray. It's my first Blu-Ray, so it's a real treat.

Thanks again!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The tracking on the gift I sent my santee tells me it just arrived in the ol US of A so he might even receive before Xmas. Which is as unexpected as it is amazing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I had to buy my Santee two separate gifts, as the one film is no longer available and I had to get a second-hand version. I don't think it'll mind.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The tracking on the gift I sent my santee tells me it just arrived in the ol US of A so he might even receive before Xmas. Which is as unexpected as it is amazing.

Aha! So you aren't my Santa.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
One of my santees should have received their package :)

E: the other has to wait until jan 2-3 sorry :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Got everything out for one of my santees for Monday, since it's just things delivered from the internet. The other one I'm actually having to box up some stuff and send it out, should finish it up sometime this weekend. Finding an appropriately sized box is definitely the hardest part.

Got my gifts in the mail but haven't opened them yet. Gotta have something under that tree!

e: because I live alone and am visiting family for Christmas. Not because I am sad and lonely.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 14, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

My Santee's gifts have been ordered! One part should arrive this friday, and the rest next week.

Are you my Santa?

Bonus: Iris approves.

Thank you, Santa!

(Edit: Yes, I spend time during unemployment doing crosswords. Shut up.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 14, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I have that knife sharpener, it's insanely good for a non-whetstone sharpener. My new knife I got recently hasn't event gotten close to dull using that and a honing steel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

I have that knife sharpener, it's insanely good for a non-whetstone sharpener. My new knife I got recently hasn't event gotten close to dull using that and a honing steel.

My primary knife is a santoku from a Chicago Steel set my parents gave me, like, six years ago. Yeah, yeah knife sets, and it's not like I asked for the drat thing, but it's worked pretty well ... but I cooked a whole chicken maybe two or three weeks ago, and I had trouble breaking it down despite having recently sharpened it with my lovely-rear end sharpener and honing steel that really just needs to get replaced. I'm looking forward to using this on my santoku, my giant lovely knife and my bread knife.

And, you know, Logan loving owns.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What crossword book is that?

I need a new crossword book because the one I got is too smart for me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

I need a new crossword book because the one I got is too smart for me.

This one is incredibly punishing (and oddly esoteric). Crosswords Cum Laude edited by Patrick Berry, picked it up for like three bucks at Half Price Books.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

This one is incredibly punishing (and oddly esoteric). Crosswords Cum Laude edited by Patrick Berry, picked it up for like three bucks at Half Price Books.

I got a GREAT book of Will Shortz puzzles that were "beginner friendly", I guess. It was above average on the challenge level that were chosen to teach the ways to approach the puzzles. It was difficult, but I could solve them. My friend really liked it, so I ended up giving it to her. Now I forget the collection's title.

I replaced it with this book and I can't even finish one. :(

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Timby posted:

Are you my Santa?

Indeed! There's one last thing coming that should arrive next week.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

Aha! So you aren't my Santa.

Maybe I am but I'm bluffing?

and maybe I am but am really just really bad at geography?

or maybe I aren't

Who knows, I sure as hell don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Indeed! There's one last thing coming that should arrive next week.

Oh, wow, thank you. My wife grumped a bit when she got home because she was planning on getting me Logan as a stocking-stuffer but once she saw the sharpener she was pretty happy. That was an awesome surprise after a day of lovely job phone screens.

Franchescanado posted:

I got a GREAT book of Will Shortz puzzles that were "beginner friendly", I guess. It was above average on the challenge level that were chosen to teach the ways to approach the puzzles. It was difficult, but I could solve them. My friend really liked it, so I ended up giving it to her. Now I forget the collection's title.

I replaced it with this book and I can't even finish one. :(

Honestly, those Dell books they sell for a few bucks at the supermarket checkout lines (the ones you find next to, like, the Archie comics) are pretty good. I have a stack of four or five of them and I'm still going through one from June. Also, I don't know where you are, but most alternative publications--as in an arts + entertainment tabloid--will have a crossword from King Features or something along those lines.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 15, 2017

• Locked thread