Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Going to do this yet again so I can fly in my magic helicopter. Won't that be loads of fun?

I'm actually fine with getting into stuff completely off my radar. Last year, FreudianSlippers sent me a pair of Icelandic films (Cold Fever and Rock i Reykjavik) and axleblaze (I think?) sent a few of newer ones (The Oversimplification of Her Beauty, Cop Car, and Green Room). All of which I enjoyed immensely.

My Letterboxd page: https://letterboxd.com/egbertsouse/

Favorite "established" filmmakers: Stanley Kubrick, Orson Welles, Norman McLaren, Jacques Tati, Kenneth Anger, Buster Keaton, Powell & Pressburger, F.W. Murnau, Krzysztof Kieślowski, Wes Anderson, David Lynch
(established as I've seen either all their films or a substantial majority)

Blind Spots: Always trying to see more foreign film. Only Japanese films I've seen are a bunch of Kurosawa and Miyazaki, one Ozu, one Itami, one Mizoguchi. Only seen one Fassbender film. Only one African film (Touki Bouki). Haven't seen much African-American centric cinema. Haven't seen much giallo or slasher, though I have a tender tummy. I'd love to see more exploitation stuff.

Tough sell: I tend to skip new releases in favor of older ones. Only new films I've bothered to see theatrically this year have been Get Out, Rogue One, Wonder Woman, and Dunkirk - though it's mainly because my local theater is a multiplex, not a nice little indie place (like Atlanta's Midtown or Plaza theaters).

Top 10 movies I've seen this year for the first time:
Tampopo
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Phantom of the Paradise
The Double Life of Veronique
Army of Darkness
The World of Apu
Princess Mononoke
Carnival of Souls
Stalker
Withnail & I

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ho ho ho now I have a Santee

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just ordered my Santee's main gift. I was going to have it delivered directly from the distributor, but then it wouldn't have any other goodies or even a note. So, I should have it shipped out by early next week.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My santee's main gift was supposed to arrive today, but it didn't. Hopefully it'll arrive by Friday since I'll be out of town for work.

If all else fails, I guess I could send a box with my hair and a watch chain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Still haven't gotten my Santee's gift. I haven't even received any mail in the last four days, so apparently the local mail is having problems. The next day I'll be able to ship it out is Thursday, so I apologize if it's late.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally shipped! Looks like it won't get there until Tuesday, but it's on the way.

Also got my Santa's gift!

The Wind Journeys, directed by Ciro Guerra. From Colombia! Looks like a neat film, so I'll be watching this weekend.

Didn't see a name anywhere.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle posted:

Me! I had to get it used as new ones aren't available and there wasn't a gift option. I saw it by chance at Cannes when it premiered and I absolutely loved it. More is to come: one gift should be en route and one seems to be lost by USPS

Thanks! Used isn't a problem since I know a lot of great films simply aren't available new. This appears to be part of a monthly/quarterly release program, so it probably wasn't available long anyways.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Thank you Santa!

I loved the look on the mailman's face when he walked up to me (while i was reading a Mao Tsetung biography on my front porch) and scanned and handed me a package addressed to 'Lil Mama Im Sorry'. I haven't seen either of these movies and im def gonna share these bourgie chocolates with the misses when she gets here on Thursday.

I apologize for the hastily scribbled note as I was rushing to make it in time to the post office before they closed for the day.

I'd love to know what you think of the films. It Happened Here is a great obscure film that's certainly timely now. It took eight years to make and was started when the directors were teenagers. They ended up getting help from Tony Richardson and Stanley Kubrick to finish it. Kevin Brownlow is better known as a silent film documentarian, restorer, and historian today.

Also seconding Timby - The Producers is one of the funniest movies ever made and possibly Mel Brooks' finest movie. Zero Mostel is great, but it's also Gene Wilder's breakout first starring role. Great supporting cast. Dick Shawn will always be the best movie Hitler.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle posted:

Egbert, USPS appears to have lost both your book and DVD that I sent to you separately. That's pretty appalling. I'm following up.

Amazon are sending a new DVD. The book might still arrive; I'll give it another week before contacting the seller.

Thanks! You're in England, right? I've had some imports take a whole month or not even show up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed The Wind Journeys and Yeelen. :)

• Locked thread