Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

didachick (didachock)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You motherfuckers, CRABS ONLY!!!

(For real though jumping spiders best spiders, they wear water hats)

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

CelticPredator posted:

I wish it was mine

Well.....Of course they're found in every mainstream pet store. But, like a lot of small animals that people buy for their children or on a whim, hermit crabs are paying a tragic price that I may or may not shed some light on in this thread :(

But they do make excellent pets if you're dedicated to providing them with a suitable environment! There are vast communities on the web if you're willing to open Pandora's Box (with a little claw!)

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
crabs are delicious

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

myDad posted:

crabs are delicious

thinkin bout them crabs....

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I’ve got a big bag of crabs here!
https://youtu.be/F3jFTzhdZF4

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

this kills the birb :derptiel:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

:rip:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I saw this in the gbs discord earlier today.

I actually wrote a story involving monstrously huge genetically engineered war-crabs with armored plated and weapon hardpoints bolted onto their shells. Can't get it published though. I'm prolly a terrible writer but I enjoy doing it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Honky Dong Country posted:

I actually wrote a story involving monstrously huge genetically engineered war-crabs with armored plated and weapon hardpoints bolted onto their shells. Can't get it published though. I'm prolly a terrible writer but I enjoy doing it.

gotta post it dude

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I’ve got a big bag of crabs here!
https://youtu.be/F3jFTzhdZF4

God dammit why you gotta get me stuck in a loop now!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

myDad posted:

gotta post it dude

No way dude. I'm horribly self conscious about creative stuff. I've thrown away prolly 80% of everything I've ever written and I wouldn't even send anything to a publisher until about two years ago. I hate pretty much everything I write when I re-read it.

But the gist of it is this empire took volunteers from a sentient species of crab that was already pretty huge and juiced them full of poo poo that made them grow huge. They got big fast enough that they had to saw apart their shell to allow the expansion and graft plates into the gaps once it was done. They then mounted crazy rear end manned weapon hardpoints and used them in undersea war. Think WH40k poo poo except not xenophobic and populated primarily by sentient aquatic creatures of various kinds. So basically underwater wh40k crab biotitans.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 16, 2017

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

No way dude. I'm horribly self conscious about creative stuff. I've thrown away prolly 80% of everything I've ever written and I wouldn't even send anything to a publisher until about two years ago. I hate pretty much everything I write when I re-read it.

But the gist of it is this empire took volunteers from a sentient species of crab that was already pretty huge and juiced them full of poo poo that made them grow huge. They got big fast enough that they had to saw apart their shell to allow the expansion and graft plates into the gaps once it was done. They then mounted crazy rear end manned weapon hardpoints and used them in undersea war. Think WH40k poo poo except not xenophobic and populated primarily by sentient aquatic creatures of various kinds. So basically underwater wh40k crab biotitans.

this thread is a safe space for crab-related fiction

please post, if not for you for crabs that lack role models in mainstream media

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

We're here to help you 'out of your shell', pinch-pal!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lol I appreciate the interest but for real I'm cripplingly self conscious about writing. I don't even let people I know really well read anything and keep it locked in a file cabinet unless I'm sending something to a publisher so that I'm less likely to throw it away. And I haven't got anything published yet so odds are it prolly is as bad as I think it is.

I just wanted to write SciFi poo poo about an aquatic empire using dolphin-like lancers and melee battle crabs and whales with artillery on them and poo poo. You never see an aquatic SciFi empire and I really like the idea. Like little tiny animals like shrimps and poo poo being used by a psychic for microsurgery and whales with armor plated noses and metal reinforced skeletons to act as battering rams and poo poo. Fuckin' swarms of bladed fish under mind control to shred enemies and stuff. I just really like the idea.

I just wanted to share my love of the idea of gigantic battlecrabs blasting apart cities and snipping towers in half with their claws and poo poo.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 16, 2017

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRRM4FWtAVc

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

hell yea

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

A video of a picture of a crab killing a bird, described by a robot, set to rock music

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
When I was a little kid I was cripplingly self conscious about sand/mole crabs in the sense that I hated they way they'd skitter all over my feet and popup out of the sand and skitter some more if I stepped on them and UUUGGGGHHH. I used to lie on my raft and demand any nearby adult drag me into the water so I didn't have to put my feet down in the swash zone.

Of course they're completely harmless (they don't even have pincers) and are even more-or-less edible, especially if you're one of those weirdos who eat unshelled shrimp.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Crash_N_Burn fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 16, 2017

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Lol I appreciate the interest but for real I'm cripplingly self conscious about writing. I don't even let people I know really well read anything and keep it locked in a file cabinet unless I'm sending something to a publisher so that I'm less likely to throw it away. And I haven't got anything published yet so odds are it prolly is as bad as I think it is.

I just wanted to write SciFi poo poo about an aquatic empire using dolphin-like lancers and melee battle crabs and whales with artillery on them and poo poo. You never see an aquatic SciFi empire and I really like the idea. Like little tiny animals like shrimps and poo poo being used by a psychic for microsurgery and whales with armor plated noses and metal reinforced skeletons to act as battering rams and poo poo. Fuckin' swarms of bladed fish under mind control to shred enemies and stuff. I just really like the idea.

I just wanted to share my love of the idea of gigantic battlecrabs blasting apart cities and snipping towers in half with their claws and poo poo.

I can smell your potential from here, man. Creative flow is the bread and butter of all things cool, so I hope you find a way to stop doubting yourself and make your dreams a reality :)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ContraBoss posted:

I can smell your potential from here, man. Creative flow is the bread and butter of all things cool, so I hope you find a way to stop doubting yourself and make your dreams a reality :)

I send stuff to publishers. I just make sure that once I'm done I don't idly reread it later and condemn it to destruction.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Anyways, I really dig your war-crab concept and would totally put something like that on my desk, or cubicle shelf etc...

Back to CRAAAAABS!!!!

Did you know those little red-claw crabs they sell at pet stores and aquariums aren't meant to be totally submerged all the time in fresh water? Anyone who had these little fellas quickly found out how quirky and mischievous they can get when they constantly try to escape or make a home out of the aquarium filter housing unit. That's because they need to breathe air! They do not thrive underwater, they simply need access to water at all times, like an amphibian. Even then, it's supposed to be brackish water! Oy vey!

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 16, 2017

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I send stuff to publishers. I just make sure that once I'm done I don't idly reread it later and condemn it to destruction.

I did your gossip column too soon. :(

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
i have a shirt with the knife crab on it and i live in Maryland

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WOW!

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

this is good poo poo

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I owned this crab.

It was an excellent pet.

Other crabs I have nonspecific admiration of.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Winnie the poo poo posted:

i have a shirt with the knife crab on it and i live in Maryland

come on over, lemme show you my crab'e'mons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lots of Maryland//Baltimore punks get crab tattoos because crabs are tuff and strong and all of them are my friends

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

'sup B'more goons. Welcome to my crab thread! If you haven't noticed already, it smells of malt vinegar and a fisherman's garage in here.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

You should check out Half-Life 2

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

I like this video of crabs getting together to exchange shells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dnocPQXDQ

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Pepper Crab posted:

I like this video of crabs getting together to exchange shells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dnocPQXDQ

Hell yeah!

I had a mini-instance of this going on in my own little crabitat once when I unloaded bunch of new shells on them! :D

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbfFrVoc-gY

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

It's only appropriate that crab gets its one and only cigarette because I'm sure it is convinced that death is next.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ContraBoss posted:

Hell yeah!

I had a mini-instance of this going on in my own little crabitat once when I unloaded bunch of new shells on them! :D

:allears: crab communism :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Hermit crab and anemone symbiosis ! :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYFALyP2e7U