Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

"I am delicious! Eat me and all of my friends!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If I get a pet crab I'll convince it to wear fancy hats and gloves.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufI0PTckUx8

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
here's a crab

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

my cat is norris posted:

If I had a pet crab I would name it Pinchenstein.

Leonardo Da Pinchi

feller
Jul 5, 2006

fake

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dungeness crab vs Blue Crab is a good example of east coast vs west coast.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

etalian posted:

Dungeness crab vs Blue Crab is a good example of east coast vs west coast.

Call me biased for being raised in the PNY, but Dungeness > Blue Crab. :smug:

Although both are good and I can't really talk poo poo about blue crab.

Also, it helps that I was stationed in Port Angeles, WA. where they hold the Dungeness Crab Festival, and is also just a few miles away from Dungeness, WA. :eng101:

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 18, 2017

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The best Dungeness is more flavorful than King or even lobster imo. I was also raised in PNW.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ContraBoss posted:

Call me biased for being raised in the PNY, but Dungeness > Blue Crab. :smug:

Although both are good and I can't really talk poo poo about blue crab.

Also, it helps that I was stationed in Port Angeles, WA. where they hold the Dungeness Crab Festival, and is also just a few miles away from Dungeness, WA. :eng101:

Blue crab tastes fine, but Dungeness is also fine and there is more meat on them.

Spinster posted:

The best Dungeness is more flavorful than King or even lobster imo. I was also raised in PNW.

I love Dungeness crab, but come on now.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 18, 2017

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6xncXA3rGM

They did start the Mesozoic Marine Revolution after all which some say led to us...

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/4/3/290

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've only ever had snow and king crab to my knowledge. Snow crab is kind of a staple where I grew up (Newfoundland). I really want to try more crabs!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Spinster posted:

God drat I miss the PNY :smith:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Mozi posted:

here's a crab

Should've called it the cancer nebula but maybe they couldn't because there is already a sky cancer who is v crabby.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

old beast lunatic posted:

Should've called it the cancer nebula but maybe they couldn't because there is already a sky cancer who is v crabby.

Yeah there might be some sort of astronomical naming convention that doesn't allow that because the Crab Nebula is in Taurus, not Cancer.

However:

Wikipedia posted:

The now-current name is due to William Parsons, 3rd Earl of Rosse, who observed the object in 1840 using a 36-inch telescope and produced a drawing that looked somewhat like a crab.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

old beast lunatic posted:

really looks more like a starfish to me anyways

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Every Christmas Eve I boil a few dungenessesess and eat them shits with hella butter and watch Die Hard and play my favorite game of Drink the Single Malt. It is easily my favorite ritual to give myself a sense of time on this dirty rock hurtling through a cold uncaring universe.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

***INCOMING CRABS!***

Here are some random photos from the past 3 years of my crabitat:

Here is Smee riding atop of Jojo, something not so uncommon that happens to him.

Maggie Moo is ever vigilant. Whenever I let Jojo roam, I have to lock her out of the room, otherwise she immediately takes the opportunity to bat around the poor crab like one of her toys!

Captain Snips! She's a feisty little rear end-pirate. Whenever I pick her up, she retracts into her shell like they typically do, but starts angrily trying to grab anything she can in her big claw. Even when I set her down on my palm, she's determined to get a piece of my flesh in her grip. I can't stop getting owned by crabs! :3:

This is a more recent pic of Smee and the crabitat. She's grown quite a bit and has moved into even larger shells this past year. I sprinkle chia, birdseed, and quinoa into the terrarium and they readily sprout on the moss, providing a really enriching environment for the crabbies. It's basically a little ecosystem in there. There's pillbugs, crickets, small spiders, springtails, nematodes and fungus gnats that thrive in there and sort of complete a little cycle in there. The crabs obviously poo poo, and anything they don't eat that isn't too big or gross gets broken down by the various scavenging organisms in the tank, which makes for some fertile substrate for moss I gather from the woods and periodic seeds I throw in there for food and decor!

This is the best pic I could get on my phone of my current setup. My goal is to make a bigger, crabbier paradise someday once we move out of our apartment. :)

I'm going to upload a video of one of them changing shells, but I gotta edit out my dumb-rear end remark first.

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 18, 2017

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
Most of the crabs itt are cool, cute and good, but the ones with super long legs or spines make me feel p uncomfortable.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
Also, aren’t crabs essentially immortal if they aren’t attacked by another animal or contract a disease? That’s a cool crab fact if I’m not mistaken.

edit: My bad, turns out that’s more of a lobster fact :(

Bagsack fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 18, 2017

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
good crab good album

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
So does that make me a crab posting in a crab thread?

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Bagsack posted:

Also, aren’t crabs essentially immortal if they aren’t attacked by another animal or contract a disease? That’s a cool crab fact if I’m not mistaken.

edit: My bad, turns out that’s more of a lobster fact :(

Welllllll....sorta!

I know my particular hermit crabs have been observed to live like 20 or 30 years or so I've heard at some point, under consistently ideal conditions. The main thing that seems to be the end of the line for them is molting. Molting gets considerably harder for them as they age, and takes a bigger toll on their health during that process.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bagsack posted:

the ones with super long legs or spines make me feel p uncomfortable.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Jeez I feel like I wouldn't even be able to add water to their setup without the slightest force knocking them down or breaking a leg.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

ContraBoss posted:

Welllllll....sorta!

I know my particular hermit crabs have been observed to live like 20 or 30 years or so I've heard at some point, under consistently ideal conditions. The main thing that seems to be the end of the line for them is molting. Molting gets considerably harder for them as they age, and takes a bigger toll on their health during that process.

That’s amazing. Being able to hang out with your crab homies for a huge chunk of your life sounds like a really good thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

blue crabs taste the best but they also take the most work. they’re like the pistachio to the dungeness cashew. delightful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ContraBoss posted:

Jeez I feel like I wouldn't even be able to add water to their setup without the slightest force knocking them down or breaking a leg.

sea spiders are real tiny

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Improbable Lobster posted:

sea spiders are real tiny

35 inches of sea spider is nothing to gently caress with.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Bagsack posted:

That’s amazing. Being able to hang out with your crab homies for a huge chunk of your life sounds like a really good thing.

It is, man. I'm even at the point where I can hand feed Jojo. I'll probably upload a video of that if the thread keeps going the way it is! :toot:

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012
The question I've always wondered, is when crabs get drunk, do they walk forwards or backwards?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I really need to change our hermie tank. It's so gross.

I just don't have time :sigh:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I really need to change our hermie tank. It's so gross.

I just don't have time :sigh:

You can always add substrate and throw in some springtails, pillbugs, or nematodes! Hell, just going outside to a pesticide-free wooded area and grabbing a handful of soil to add to your tank will get things started!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

I'm still incredibly fascinated by this video

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Me and a crab waiting for more crab photos like

:jp:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

more like craps

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

a real rude dude posted:

more like craps

Early 90's TV chefs pronouncing "crab" like "crap" is one of my top ten favourite things in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh0TydXEImY&t=382s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn