Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
LG's solution: Play for an hour, turn off the tv for at least 10 to 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I think I'd rather stick with a reliable LEDLCD and just buy something with a shitload of local dimmable zones since LED lighting is directional anyways and they can fake true HDR.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
also I don't know why anyone cares about samsung's marginal better color accuracy when I can get an 80inch for the same price.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Magius1337est posted:

LG's solution: Play for an hour, turn off the tv for at least 10 to 30 minutes.

This is a good idea anyway. If you are playing games for multiple hours nonstop then there is something wrong with your life

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This is a good idea anyway. If you are playing games for multiple hours nonstop then there is something wrong with your life

ya I really want to stop what im doing with my tv so I can't even watch a movie or anything right after

also apparently OLEDs have high failure rates with poo poo like banding

it's plasma TVs all over again

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cnut the Great posted:

Curved screens are the absolute dumbest gimmicky TV display poo poo to become ubiquitous that I have ever seen, and that's saying a lot.

They’re stupid for use as a television but they’re good if you want to use a 40”+ 4K screen as a PC monitor.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Magius1337est posted:

ya I really want to stop what im doing with my tv so I can't even watch a movie or anything right after

That's not how burn-in works

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

That's not how burn-in works

you have to turn off the tv to get rid of it

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Are those flat HD CRTs good for classic gaming? I think my Dad might have one of those in his attic. I'm assuming they don't have the lag associated with flatscreens. My friends make fun of me because I refuse to play Super Mario World with them, but I swear to god the lag is so noticeable on my Samsung.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I gave moms back the 10 year old 50” Panasonic plasma that still runs like a champ and has a beautiful picture because I took it with me when I moved out and god drat that thing is just too hot for a bedroom. Seriously it could double as a heater in the winter time in that 16x11 room I stay in.

Costco had a 55” Samsung 8 series for 880 with a four year manufacturer warranty on it so I said merry christmas to me and have been pleased with it so far.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dubplate Fire posted:

Are those flat HD CRTs good for classic gaming? I think my Dad might have one of those in his attic. I'm assuming they don't have the lag associated with flatscreens. My friends make fun of me because I refuse to play Super Mario World with them, but I swear to god the lag is so noticeable on my Samsung.

HD CRTs are not good for classic gaming, no. However, the Wii and Dreamcast with a vga adapter look like they're running in high definition. I couldn't believe how good the Wii looked on this HD crt I had. It looked like when you upscale it using a computer with a good graphics card.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

HD CRTs are not good for classic gaming, no. However, the Wii and Dreamcast with a vga adapter look like they're running in high definition. I couldn't believe how good the Wii looked on this HD crt I had. It looked like when you upscale it using a computer with a good graphics card.

Yea i played the Wii on it and it looked good as gently caress. At least I don't have to try and carry this 300 lb monstrosity down from my father's attic.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Magius1337est posted:

nevermind, OLEDS are horrible for gaming since everything is going to burn in and it happens after only an hour of use.

Good luck playing a game for more than an hour without damaging your oled

This is not true. They might have slight image retention if you are playing the same game with the same static status bar or something for 5 hours straight but even then it's not permanent.

Case in point is I have an old Nexus phone that has an OLED screen. My wife uses it as a GPS now (I basically permanently affixed it to the car's dashboard) and it is on Waze for 3 hours a day. After 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for two years, I can barely kinda see where the bar on the bottom of Waze resides.

You would have to be intentionally doing it to gently caress your OLED TV up. Either that or using it as a monitor at the airport to display flight times 24/7.

EvilJoven posted:

While exposure to cold does slightly reduce the strength of one's immune system, it's overall negligable. The real reason why people get sick more often in the winter is because they're big babies and refuse to go outside and instead huddle together inside for warmth in overall closer proxmimity to each other while wiping their runny noses on everything and inevitably contaminating each other with bacteria and viruses :eng101:

By working outside in the winter and not being a huge baby about it you should overall be getting less sick than your peers that refuse to go outside.

Speaking of babies, I was still able to work out 5x a week after my first kid was born but after the 2nd one, for the first year it was virtually impossible (unless I wanted to be practically negligent). I would be so loving fat right now if I didn't work outdoors. Keep this in mind if you ever have kids. The first year with the second one will be dad bod city unless you eat rice cakes 3 times a day for the 1st year (2nd year is way easier with regards to managing time).

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
getting a new tv right before hdmi 2.1 tvs come out just wouldnt be good. its one of those watershed features imo

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
what the hell is quantum dot?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

It turns out I was getting so much lag because my roommate must have turned game mode off.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
dimmable zones are the future for the next few years until they make oleds that are reliable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECcjZrRtWA

millions of dimmable zones, the bigger the tv the less halo effect there is

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
oleds are gonna have a long way to go:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I can't find any information around HDMI 2.1s release date, but if you wait for that then you better get a new A/V receiver too.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

nah don't wait for tech features just get a tv if you want one. HDR was the last watershed feature and it's mostly a gimmick at this point. Slightly before that, 4k. also, remember 3D? lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
My 3D plasma purchase was justified for Dredd 3D alone.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Magius1337est posted:

also what's up with refresh rates, all these tvs say 240hz natural or tru refresh rate or whatever but on the back it the port says its only 60hz? do I have to use display port or something?
This maybe about "sub-panel technology", which I've already seen advertised in the fine print. Your screen is made up from individual panels. If they sell you a screen that's made from 4 panels and each one has 60 Hertz, that's obviously 240 Hertz! This is a fact and helping the customer to make an informed decision. I wonder why they didn't go with pixels times 60H, we could have 124MH TVs already!

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
i don't know who i hate more people who consciously decide to use that frame interpolation horseshit feature, or people whose tv's had it on by default and they can't even tell

its always middle aged assholes though that's fersher

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Secular Humanist posted:

i don't know who i hate more people who consciously decide to use that frame interpolation horseshit feature, or people whose tv's had it on by default and they can't even tell

the TV can change frames at 240hz but doesn't take in more than a 60hz framerate?

where is the disconnect?

also I don't think you're going to notice the black levels of a oled TV in a room that receives any amount of sunlight

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
TVs sound way too complicated these days. I'm just gonna stick with my 10-year old crummy chinese lcd and not have to worry about modes and hertzes and oleds.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Magius1337est posted:

the TV can change frames at 240hz but doesn't take in more than a 60hz framerate?

where is the disconnect?
so youre blind to the soap opera effect?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

gary oldmans diary posted:

so youre blind to the soap opera effect?

i dont know how that slipped through the cracks with those hobbit movies, god knows how much money they dropped to do an entire parallel production and release at 60fps that everyone fuckin hated

i mean those movies had so much collective talent working on them how was it allowed to happen i just don't understand

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Secular Humanist posted:

Why do you care?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

The Dennis System posted:

Why do you care?

i am full of anger and contempt is mainly why

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Secular Humanist posted:

maybe you are unaware but motion enhancement is only required to be bad on low end tvs. on the higher end ones it works well (but can still be set wrong)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Life doesn’t move at 24 fps

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Life moves at 2fps. You only have two eyes idiots

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Right. Two.

It’s the little details that trip me up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's like, what if movies varied the fps in order to emphasize certain moments in a particular way, instead of being locked into the fps the man says you have to use, man

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Sorry, we’re sure it’s not three? No? Two? Ok.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
what is a second, anyways?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
In conclusion, HDTVs are a land of contrasts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh, no you’re right it is two eyes. Can’t read my own handwriting, I was thinking of buttholes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mozi posted:

it's like, what if movies varied the fps in order to emphasize certain moments in a particular way, instead of being locked into the fps the man says you have to use, man

Then they woudl look like anime and anime sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Then they woudl look like anime and anime sucks