Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Soooo, the Traxxas BigFoot No.1 is awesome. Fast, and super fun. Took it out today with my kid and he did great, right up until he panicked and hit the only picnic table in an entire field, head on.

Broke the plastic front driver-side axle.

This experience will serve you well for when he crashes your actual car as well in a few years. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Kak posted:

I would stay away from Losi. Their quality has gone to poo poo ever since they were bought out by Horizon Hobby.

My kid and I raced Losi 22, 22-4, and 22T's last season and I found them to be of comparable quality to my Associated and Mugen cars. *shrug*

PYROxSYCO
May 14, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

I'm probably going to start drafting some CAD to make a 3D printable version.

That might be a better idea.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

FYI there is a RC thread in AI:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125553

I have a traxxas stampede 4x4 vxl (brushless). It's a 1/10 "monster truck" and at the time anyway it was one of the better choices just for bashing.

It's a fun toy, but I don't run it very much. Another downside of batteries (though honestly I'm not remotely interested in nitro) is that you should keep them about half full for storage, so whenever I think "Hey it would be fun to rip the truck around" I have to dig the charger out and wait 20-30 minutes. Since I have kids, by the time I would do all that we're on to something else.

If anyone is looking to dip their toes into the water, I'd suggest getting one of the cheaper ready to run electric kits. I'm probably close to $600 into the stampede just to get up and running (stampede rtr kit, charger, 2 lipos) and I can't say that I've gotten $600 worth of play time out of it that a $150 RTR couldn't have done for me.

I've been looking into that for building a robot for the Robomagellan competition:

http://robogames.net/rules/magellan.php

Would the Stampede have any problems with an extra 1-2 punds of weight on its chassis (Raspberry Pi, LIDAR sensor, GPS unit, second battery)? Is there anything else I might look at? I would need something that can easily handle transitioning from pavement to grass and running into low curbs, but nothing too extreme.

I was kind of tempted by the Xmaxx, but I'd prefer something that takes batteries which can be legally carried aboard an airplane.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cockmaster posted:

I've been looking into that for building a robot for the Robomagellan competition:

http://robogames.net/rules/magellan.php

Would the Stampede have any problems with an extra 1-2 punds of weight on its chassis (Raspberry Pi, LIDAR sensor, GPS unit, second battery)? Is there anything else I might look at? I would need something that can easily handle transitioning from pavement to grass and running into low curbs, but nothing too extreme.

I was kind of tempted by the Xmaxx, but I'd prefer something that takes batteries which can be legally carried aboard an airplane.

That's really cool! I think it would be doable. There may be a better RC platform to start with, the Stampede is good but the short wheelbase and all that it's not necessarily the most stable, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be traveling real fast so it would probably be fine. For the extra weight, you could maybe use a really stiff shock oil or something as the suspension does want to compress fairly easily.

A RC that's a "crawler" might be a better platform just in terms of lower speed and suspension articulation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Extra weight means you need stiffer springs, not (only) heavier oil.

Springs affect the weight-carrying capacity while oil viscosity affects the damping.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Extra weight means you need stiffer springs, not (only) heavier oil.

Springs affect the weight-carrying capacity while oil viscosity affects the damping.

I gave it some thought, I wasn't sure if there was anything available and I'm assuming these are going very low speeds so it probably doesn't matter that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

I gave it some thought, I wasn't sure if there was anything available and I'm assuming these are going very low speeds so it probably doesn't matter that much.

Not necessarily that low speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0d6qT2OeDk

With most of them, it appears their speed is limited by the fact their collision avoidance is based on cheapo sensors (such as ultrasound). I was thinking that if I could use something better (either a Sweep LIDAR unit that I impulse-bought off Kickstarter a while back, or a Jetson board and a stereoscopic camera), I could ... maybe not floor it, but gain a substantial advantage. I'd mostly need something that will remain stable when cornering or hitting small bumps at moderate speed.

For what it's worth, at least one or two of the contestants in last year's Robogames used the Xmaxx. Plus it turns out that under current TSA rules, I could bring up to 4 cell 6600mAh packs without running into the limit.

• Locked thread