Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
This sport isnt long for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

indigi posted:

The main problem isn't going to be parents forcing their kids to play or Republicans arguing against strict regulation of public educational institutions; it's going to be from the liability incurred by high schools and colleges. a few high profile multi-million dollar class actions against LSU or some Texas public high school and these places are going to stop their football programs. you can't force a minor to waive their right to a safe educational environment in the same way you theoretically could with NFL players (although I don't even know how that would hold up in higher courts)

Yep. Eventually some rich as gently caress white people are going to sue literally everyone and everything involved when their kid is diagnosed with CTE and suddenly every school district will drop this hot potato.

We're going to look really silly with these big rear end loving high school stadiums for a sport no one even plays.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kalli posted:

Hopefully soon a procedure comes from this that can quickly and reasonably affordably determine if a player has CTE.

Once that exists, first a bunch of current NFL players would likely do it to determine if they want to continue to play or not.

After that occurs for a bit, if it becomes non-invasive enough, I'd expect to see it show up at the combine, which is when the real danger to the sport hits.

I'm not sure it being required at the combine would be the problem. It's when it becomes accessible for families with younger football players it becomes danger critical.

Asproigerosis posted:

I've never understood the whole can't test for CTE on the living nonsense considering amyloid plaque PET scans have been a thing for a long time now, and commercially available almost a decade ago. While they are almost universally marketed toward alzheimers/dementia so they can milk the medicare cow, I've been surprised the CTE craze has never brought a researcher in to look at this. Also I'm really mad I can't get a job doing these neato PET scans.

The problem is getting a marker to work with the protein they're looking for. That's been sort of the delay. The positive thing is this will also help with things like Alzimer's which is believed to be the same protein (if it's not that, it'll still help with other forms of dementia).

Hockey is the other major NA sport threatened by this, but it's entirely possible to have no-check leagues until the kids are older. In those leagues, it's no worse than basketball (if you ask me) for collisions (a lot of jostling around for the puck, but no slamming into each other). It's very hard for me to see football surviving a change to flag or tag.

e: Hockey already removed touch icing at all levels because of the danger of the collisions involved if there was a race for the puck. Violent checks do still happen, but the amount of them happening around the boards involving is greatly reduced with that. I know the NCAA will eject you and assess a 5 minute major if you make a deliberate blow to the opponent's head.

e2: Though the NHL is almost just as bad as the NFL when it comes to pulling players who may have a potential concussion. At least MLB acknowledged it and said "you have to sit 7 days if you get one" by creating a special DL just for it.

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 17, 2017

nah
Mar 16, 2009

lol if you think this will change anyone's minds. Brain damage is long term poo poo and no one cares about that. Parents are more concerned about broken bones. And that hasn't stopped them

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

lol if you think this will change anyone's minds. Brain damage is long term poo poo and no one cares about that. Parents are more concerned about broken bones. And that hasn't stopped them

Youth football enrollment was down across the nation this year. Even my football as gently caress city ran stories about the local youth leagues having decreased enrollment. This problem isn't going away and there is no fix that leaves football as we know it.

That being said, I know a guy with a little boy who's already got a history of seizures but seriously cant wait for the day his gets to see his son play for his high school team. Its disgusting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Youth football enrollment was down across the nation this year. Even my football as gently caress city ran stories about the local youth leagues having decreased enrollment. This problem isn't going away and there is no fix that leaves football as we know it.

That being said, I know a guy with a little boy who's already got a history of seizures but seriously cant wait for the day his gets to see his son play for his high school team. Its disgusting.

There's three types of parents in general when it comes to this:
1. They think their kid is going to be the next big thing, and they're going to be rich.
2. Meh, gets the kids out of my hair. Football has always been dangerous. But...
3. HOW DARE LITTLE TIMMY GET HURT :qq:

#1 will not budge on this. They think that football is their ticket to riches via their kid (or living vicariously). #3 is the type that will likely sue once their kid gets a concussion. #2 may fall on either side.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The challenge will be if other sports become more appealing than football. Basketball is definitely on the upswing in terms of popularity, so maybe more kids will go play that instead of football.

I'm just hoping baseball becomes more popular again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I met a former NFL player a few weeks ago and he's basically horrified about the fact that his brain is shrinking and he goes to the hospital to get scans on it. He lost a close friend to brain related issues too.

poo poo is scary for former players.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The more and more research comes out the more I am happy that I sucked at football and made it my goal during practice to not actually do anything.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

Please god no. Invent a new sport or something before bringing baseball back.

e: I'll compromise, implement a salary cap, cut the season games in half at the least, and limit games to 2 hours at most. Then maybe baseball will be interesting.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 17, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Barreft posted:

Please god no. Invent a new sport or something before bringing baseball back.

Baseball. Boxing. High trousers.

Welcome to 1920.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

making sure the games don't need 6 hours to complete would be a good start

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

making sure the games don't need 6 hours to complete would be a good start

Just make this required:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTvYXIB054

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

it's entirely possible to have no-check leagues until the kids are older. In those leagues, it's no worse than basketball (if you ask me) for collisions (a lot of jostling around for the puck, but no slamming into each other). It's very hard for me to see football surviving a change to flag or tag.

Because of the changes to rules regarding spearing, h2h and other extremely high risk activities, I think a slow shift toward flag/touch for anything say, pre-highschool, is not likely to kill the sport and would be accepted. If this research pans out, combined with correlations to things like force sensors in helmets might lead to a link between Gs experienced and low-grade concussion risk. You could probably develop a system that is a degree of magnitude more safe WRT CTE than what we have today which barely scrapes the surface since lots of small non-penalty hits are just as bad.

Add to that rule changes that disqualify a player for health reasons once N Gs are experienced in a game and now you have player incentive to not to use tackling or blocking styles that would remove them from the game.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 17, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Sweet jesus why?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Qwijib0 posted:

Because of the changes to rules regarding spearing, h2h and other extremely high risk activities, I think a slow shift toward flag/touch for anything say, pre-highschool, is not likely to kill the sport and would be accepted. If this research pans out, combined with correlations to things like force sensors in helmets might lead to a link between Gs experienced and low-grade concussion risk. You could probably develop a system that is a degree of magnitude more safe WRT CTE than what we have today which barely scrapes the surface since lots of small non-penalty hits are just as bad.

Add to that rule changes that disqualify a player for health reasons once N Gs are experienced in a game and now you have player incentive to not to use tackling or blocking styles that would remove them from the game.

I think flag would work better, because with that you're actually relying on clear visual evidence of someone being down (also I'm biased). Why spearing became non-enforced now I have no drat clue, but also proper rugby-style tackles would help a lot.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm getting the sense that they can put in whatever feelgood precautions they want to, but the football basics of 300+ lb hyper-athletic linemen crashing into each every down will simply never, ever be safe for the brains they got rattling inside their skulls. It's like a small car accident every down. Sometimes almost seems like the concussion protocol is there to distract from that fact. And I don't think you got football without the line. Big dudes protecting a ball-carrier is the spirit of the whole game.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Elephanthead posted:

Yes, children of the poor will consider the chance of brain injury and decide living in abject poverty while being hunted by the police is really not that bad.

I mean, basketball exists. It is in fact cheaper to run basketball than football.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Its Rinaldo posted:

I mean, basketball exists. It is in fact cheaper to run basketball than football.

That's true, but your 6'2" 300 pound son who's actually athletic somehow despite his girth has no future in basketball and he could be something in football.

(He won't be anything in anything in all likelihood of course, but one sport has a spot for that guy)

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Youth sports participation is down in almost every sport across the nation. Football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. And as a parent with 2 kids playing sports I will say that it is mostly the fault of the parents. But that isn't a conversation for this thread.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Something stupid that's been rattling around my head, what if you allowed holding by the offensive line? Or modified it so it's only holding in they pin their opponent to the ground? Obviously it would drastically change how the game is played, but if the line can grab instead of bash, maybe there'd be less bashing? Greater protection for QBs as well. Only the o-line though, a TE or RB holding on a block would still be called.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Finger Prince posted:

Something stupid that's been rattling around my head, what if you allowed holding by the offensive line? Or modified it so it's only holding in they pin their opponent to the ground? Obviously it would drastically change how the game is played, but if the line can grab instead of bash, maybe there'd be less bashing? Greater protection for QBs as well. Only the o-line though, a TE or RB holding on a block would still be called.

Most head trauma stuff happens in the secondary. Not at the line. You very rarely get enough speed a the line to make a big impact unless you have a LB or safety doing a run up on a blitz or something.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CyberPingu posted:

Most head trauma stuff happens in the secondary. Not at the line. You very rarely get enough speed a the line to make a big impact unless you have a LB or safety doing a run up on a blitz or something.

True, however it is thought that subconcussive blows to the head are the main driving force behind CTE.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

The amount of contact in practices has really gone down in the last few years. I think the high schools in my area are limited to 40 minutes of contact a week in practice. So basically 2 20 minutes sessions. Earlier in the year they do allow some more contact, I think 80 or 90 minutes for the first week of full pads and 60 for the second week then 40 for the rest of the year. Our youth program has gone to kind of the same thing, but we only have 2 practices a week after school starts, one is just helmets and one has a "scrimmage" with one of the other teams at the practice fields where both teams run 15 plays. The rest of the time is drills on air or dummies.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol if you haven't started mentally preparing to make basketball your #1 sport

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Just take away the helmets

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
It's time that America embraced cricket for the great sport that it is (20/20s, none of this 5 day test crap).

America would immediately dominate the rest of the world in cricket, because everyone plays it wrong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Football still has another good (probably bad) 30-40 years minimum as a major cultural force in the US.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

You can legislate tackling and so forth, but that does nothing for linemen. They are continually getting their brains rattled around and that poo poo adds up. They also play through concussions more than position players because they aren't getting lit up in one big flashy hit that screams trouble, and a concussed lineman staying in the game isn't going to be as obvious as a concussed QB or receiver.

This is bad stuff and people are starting to figure it out.

https://www.inverse.com/article/37934-nfl-funded-study-brain-injury
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighsteinberg/2017/07/25/cte-study-sends-shock-waves-through-world-of-football-part-1
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...w-studies-show/

beejay fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 17, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sorry if the idea of constant action is disgusting to you. Maybe baseball is more your speed. Has roughly the same pace of play.

Nov 6, 2002

Don't want a game where you only need to watch the last 12 minutes.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ehud posted:

Wnba season is too short :(

Baeeball's great for killing a whole afternoon if you have nothing better to do
It's better played than watched tho

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

MrLogan posted:

It's time that America embraced cricket for the great sport that it is (20/20s, none of this 5 day test crap).

America would immediately dominate the rest of the world in cricket, because everyone plays it wrong.

I know nothing about cricket but I like Americs dominating the world. Please tell me more.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I know nothing about cricket but I like Americs dominating the world. Please tell me more.

I picked up the basics while in Jamaica on my honeymoon. I think the commonwealth tests were going on and I'd drunkenly watch cricket every night after my wife passed out.

Also, it's been stated in this thread, but a few lawsuits will have a v chilling effect on sub-nfl football, for cost of insurances and too high of a liability risk reasons. Football could collapse or change drastically v quickly depending on if/when these happen and the outcomes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Baseball has fixed half of their problem by juicing the crap of their baseballs in the past season. They're close to implementing a pitch clock to try to speed games up too.

If we can get back to the mid 90s form of baseball with lots of dingers and games that don't drag out, it'd become an excellent sport again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Still time to get on this soccer bandwagon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FizFashizzle posted:

Still time to get on this soccer bandwagon.

Soccer to me feels like baseball. It's fun if you're invested in a team, and if you're not, it can be boring to watch on TV.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

I don't know if research changed but when I read league of denial, but it said repeated medium size hits (the line) are way worse than rare big hits. It makes the whole thing worse because lineman rarely carry star power / $$ to make it as well known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ultrachrist posted:

I don't know if research changed but when I read league of denial, but it said repeated medium size hits (the line) are way worse than rare big hits. It makes the whole thing worse because lineman rarely carry star power / $$ to make it as well known.

Yes, but tight ends do.

• Locked thread