Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

today's dev diary is on some nice audio touches, no gameplay reveals

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-19th-of-june-2018.1106148/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Poil posted:

Yeah, but at least the choice of the two first idea groups were easy: plutocratic and influenza. Goodbye merchant and hello oligarchy.

Influenza ideas are overrated, polio ideas are actually much better

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat. That sounds like it will be a lot more immersive.

Wafflecopper posted:

Influenza ideas are overrated, polio ideas are actually much better
Well all of my ports are constantly getting them for free. :downs:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really like the plutocratic idea set, it's like the one thing republics have over monarchies.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If I form Italy as Venice will I lose the Restrained Council of Ten bonus to republic tradition right away, at the monthly tick or will it remain but not do anything? I have the ideas to immediately switch back to a republic so will it still work if I do?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Poil posted:

If I form Italy as Venice will I lose the Restrained Council of Ten bonus to republic tradition right away, at the monthly tick or will it remain but not do anything? I have the ideas to immediately switch back to a republic so will it still work if I do?

Forming Italy doesn't switch your government. At least it didn't during my Venetian campaign a while back.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I finally bought Rule Britannia, and am trying a game as Scotland.

I think allying France before the Maine event triggers will gently caress me over, can anyone confirm

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Jay Rust posted:

I finally bought Rule Britannia, and am trying a game as Scotland.

I think allying France before the Maine event triggers will gently caress me over, can anyone confirm

I'm doing a Scotland game too and allied France at the start. The first war France started with England really hosed me over because all my stuff got occupied, but France ultimately won the war and weakened England enough that I was able to beat them down when it was time for round 2. Just be prepared to deal with France when they inevitable take some chunk of southern England.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Forming Italy doesn't switch your government. At least it didn't during my Venetian campaign a while back.
Great, thanks. The EU4wiki claimed it did so I got a bit worried.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Poil posted:

Great, thanks. The EU4wiki claimed it did so I got a bit worried.

It did like 10 versions ago or something. Then they made republics a bit poo so nobody cared much anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cool.

The pope is going to be really upset until the coring finishes though. How could some filthy catholic decide to take over Rome? It would be a completely different matter if the city was swarmed by heretics or heathens and later forcibly converted to protestantism or sunni. That's fine, but some stinky fellow catholics? Hell no!

Oh and the text for the triggered modifier for owning Rome says that fellow catholics are going to be really upset, but since the penalty is to diplomatic reputation everyone dislikes you. Even pagans on the other side of the world think your diplomacy is bollocks. :v:

I find it mildly amusing how I still have the submission to the emperor penalty despite owning several provinces in the South Germany region as well as bordering Austria. It's well worth it just to be able to conquer into the place however. Not that I care particularly about the land but I do enjoy kicking around the HRE. Granted my capital is still down in Italy and correctly I do not care what the emperor huffs and puffs about. Especially not when they suicidally elected some lovely opm.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when you convert rome to orthodox you're simultaneously told that the Schism is effectively ended and also not ended, if anything deepened

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Schrodinger's Schism

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I’m feeling a bit hosed in my Portugal game. Spain and France and I were allied so I went and snatched Mexico and now Spain has unallied me, but France still likes me. Austria is in a personal union under France. What are my options? I’m thinking of getting Sweden on my side. Everyone hates me at this point because they all want Mexico.

Edit: somehow I got Spain to re-ally me, I think I’m going to give them subsidies for a bit while I research more diplomatic tech so that I can get France to turn on them.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 22, 2018

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dirk Pitt posted:

Spain has unallied me, but France still likes me. Austria is in a personal union under France. What are my options?

Edit: somehow I got Spain to re-ally me, I think I’m going to give them subsidies for a bit while I research more diplomatic tech so that I can get France to turn on them.

Personally I would do as you say: keep France as an ally, build trust so they will not break the alliance, try to get them to abandon Spain and swing them (+Austria if they keep the PU) on Spain like a sledgehammer. All that juicy Spanish land is of your culture group and religion presumably, so you stand to gain a lot from conquering parts of it.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
Hello folks, I’m here to shamelessly shill for our new mapgoons game starting June 30th!

It’s still got quite a few slots to potentially fill, so feel free to come and sign up!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860329

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Naturally Rome has too many allies and trying to grab it when declaring on one of their allies leads to... some AE. drat it stop being so selfish you jerks! I need it to become Italy and, more importantly, make my borders prettier. :argh:

According to the religion tab I have -7 tolerance for heretics but when looking at a province it is listed as -8.75. With the constant spamming from the drat centers of reformation hidden away far to the north in Germany and the additional -3 from submitting to the emperor it means my provinces are all fairly upset. Bring it on!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Playing as Scotland, I was hoping to go Anglican. The event happened while I was beating up England, and I guess they chose the option that enables the religion but doesn’t spawn any centres of reformation. So now there’s a three-province England that’s Anglican, and that’s it the only place it exists. Is that the end of that?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Playing as Scotland, I was hoping to go Anglican. The event happened while I was beating up England, and I guess they chose the option that enables the religion but doesn’t spawn any centres of reformation. So now there’s a three-province England that’s Anglican, and that’s it the only place it exists. Is that the end of that?

I'm not sure if there's another way, but if all else fails, you could always capture those provinces and use them to spawn Anglican rebels and let them convert you.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In my opinion, Anglican just isn't worth it. Yeah you can be DotF forever, and if you go religious ideas have a CB on everyone, but everybody will kinda hate you for being a heretic and the special religion actions are really, really meh. +Stability, mercantilism and money aren't exactly hard to come by in other ways, and divorce is borderline useless except very few edge cases...

If you want to go for it and get the event, fine (also do spawn the reformation center, as a major power in the British isles you shouldn't lack money and the -3 dip rep for 10 years isn't the end of the world), but going through rebels and whatnot is definitely too much trouble for what you get

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 23, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just wanna give a shoutout to the 1356 start date mod for letting me do my Scandinavia-spanning Novgorod, the way god intended. Next stop America while southern Russia remains a mosaic of random horde tags

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hello small reminder to always cycle through the disputed succession alert when either the HRE emperor changes or the curia controller changes. these two things (and some other little things) can cycle heirless countries into being pu'd/straight up inherited

here's a little visualization, sorry it's a little fast (not mine):

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

oddium posted:

hello small reminder to always cycle through the disputed succession alert when either the HRE emperor changes or the curia controller changes. these two things (and some other little things) can cycle heirless countries into being pu'd/straight up inherited

Wow that’s seriously arcane

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

oddium posted:

:wtc: I'm so glad that I don't do the PU thing on principle because this is loving horrible.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You don't really need to pay attention, just find countries with old monarchs+no heir and royal marry, plus keep your prestige high

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 24, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

What in the world? So this is aying you can game when you can get a direct inheritance by reading some chicken entrails or something?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think I'll just stick to having horrible luck with PUs and mostly ignoring them. For my sanity...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What in the world? So this is aying you can game when you can get a direct inheritance by reading some chicken entrails or something?

it says that if an heirless ferrara is going to get a foreign dynasty on their throne and suddenly a new HRE emperor is elected, everything is shifted and they may be in the window for pu/inheritance now

there's no predicting, just checking again for new outcomes

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You don't really need to pay attention, just find countries with old monarchs+no heir and royal marry, plus keep your prestige high

Doesn't stop it from being a bad mechanic which completely destroys what little balance the game has if it happens at the wrong time. Getting a potentially huge permanent ally just because the RNG said so isn't a great gameplay mechanic.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

this is madness in a way that makes me love paradox more

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Is there a good guide/youtube vid/whatever to help me get back up to speed with this game? I played a bunch before Art of War but now there's all sorts of new systems like Forts and Estates that I've got no idea what I should be doing with. I picked up all the DLC I didn't have on the sale and man, there's just a lotta SYSTEMS now, huh?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CaptCommy posted:

Is there a good guide/youtube vid/whatever to help me get back up to speed with this game? I played a bunch before Art of War but now there's all sorts of new systems like Forts and Estates that I've got no idea what I should be doing with. I picked up all the DLC I didn't have on the sale and man, there's just a lotta SYSTEMS now, huh?

Most of those systems can be safely ignored. The main things you need to learn are forts and institutions, and maybe the tweaked diplomacy from Cossacks and development... and actually maybe autonomy and estates after all. Okay, there's a lot actually, sorry.

Development is dead simple. Monarch points were becoming easier to get so they added a point sink into the game so you can improve your provinces in various ways. Basically, it replaces arbitrary base tax and base manpower values with different values you can actually affect. You also have limited building slots based on development. Overall, it's usually not actually worth putting points into development unless you either want to encourage institution growth (I'll get into that later), you're buffing the hell out of gold mines (always worth doing for gold mines; prioritize production), or you simply have nothing else to do with the points.

Autonomy is probably the simplest mechanic added. After you conquer a province, it's given 75% autonomy. This simply reduces all aspects of its output by 75%. It'll lose its autonomy over time, or you can forcibly lower it at the cost of revolt risk, or optionally increase it to reduce revolt risk. High autonomy can be mitigated by...

Estates! They're a real pain in the rear end but they're getting better soon with Dharma's launch! Basically, estates give you passive benefits based on their loyalty and influence levels. More influence = stronger benefits, high loyalty = more benefits, low loyalty = penalties instead of benefits. If an estate gets more than 80 influence, even with high loyalty, really bad poo poo can happen, so try to avoid this. You can also interact with them in various ways to give you more stuff, but be careful not to let their influence go out of control when doing this. They also demand territory and will grow disloyal if they don't get it. You can basically ignore them if you want and only give them the bare minimum of territory. You won't get any of their best goodies, but they won't hurt your nation either. edit: Another aspect I forgot to mention is that the estates usually ignore autonomy for one of your provincial resources. Nobles ignore autonomy for manpower, clerical estates ignore autonomy for tax, burghers ignore autonomy for production.

Cossacks added a new twist to alliances and diplomacy that is somewhat hidden away. In a sub-tab within the diplomacy screen, you can see an ally's trust and favors with you. Trust makes them less likely to break up with you and more likely to answer your call to arms. Favors are needed to call them in without promising land, otherwise they won't accept a call to arms if they don't want land from the country you're declaring on. Favors are gained over time just by being an ally with a decent military (deterrence factor?) and also by helping out and actually contributing in their wars. You can now see what land they want in this screen of the diplomacy tab as well. You can also, through the same tab on your own diplomacy screen, select provinces that you want, which your allies will see and give you in war (or will potentially break up with you if you want the same stuff as them; be careful).

The institutions are fairly complex and have completely replaced westernization. You get a 1% tech penalty up to 50% for each year you don't have an institution after one has been spawned, for each institution. They spawn roughly every 50 years based on certain conditions (the renaissance just appears somewhere in italy, global trade spawns on the highest value trade node, etc), and once they spawn institution spread works on a combination of adjacency and conditions within a province. e.g. Provinces with universities get the enlightenment faster. Provinces with more development get the institutions faster, and the act of developing a province also gives it institution progress as well. Once a certain percentage of your provinces based on their development value gets the institution, you can choose to embrace it for a cost, which is lowered if you let more provinces obtain it first. This clears the tech penalties and gives you a small bonus. The act of "westernizing" as a non-European often now involves developing the hell out of one of your provinces to "seed" an institution there, which can happen even if there are no Europeans in sight. It may also be worth it to develop for institutions as like Russia or something if you have a good province to do that with. Outside of this, there's not much interaction in the system, though it's also worth keeping an eye on the spawn dates and conditions (hover over the spawn date in the institution screen) to see if there's anything you can do to have a chance of spawning the institution, such as building manufactories or making your trade node the top node in the world.

And then finally, forts... Man, forts... Essays can be written on the arcane way zone of control works. I would really like to say that they'll just come natural to you through gameplay but they won't. They are extremely unintuitive. I came back to the game like a year after the new forts were added and had to hold back urges to scream at the game in frustration. It was miserable until I learned all the ins and outs. The game is pretty fun better once you do get used to the new forts (I ultimately prefer them over the old), but their implementation is frustratingly opaque and full of bizarre loopholes. This video will go over most of the nitty gritty details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3KqmV_9-bA

The remaining systems are all basic "do thing to fill up bar/point pool, then good stuff happens." With ages, just do the goals, get stuff. Great powers: get development, get stuff. Professionalism: Drill your armies, get stuff (but maybe don't if you're poor). Nearly every religion now has something special along these lines. There are many special government forms that do. It's all rather self explanatory.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 26, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The weirdest thing is that PUs are catholic only now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

The weirdest thing is that PUs are catholic only now.

Christian-only. Non-catholic christians can have PUs still.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Funny enough although PUs are Christian only, straight out inheriting a country for having a royal marriage isn't. I have seen Muslim countries inherit other Muslim countries at least a few times.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

Doesn't stop it from being a bad mechanic which completely destroys what little balance the game has if it happens at the wrong time. Getting a potentially huge permanent ally just because the RNG said so isn't a great gameplay mechanic.

I don't know if I see a good way around it.

You can't dispose of the concept because it was hugely important to the strategic situation in Europe during this period. The Habsburgs were a major power, the major power at points, largely on the back of PUs, and succession crises were generating general wars all the way through to the Spanish Succession, if not the Austrian.

You can't make it much more gameable because the fundamental processes- who manages to produce heirs, who dies when- to a large extent are random.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Just giving some AE for random PUs would be a good start, my main issue with it is the fact that it doesn't cost anything. And totally remove the ability to straight up inherit - you should have to integrate or your union minor will stay its own separate state forever (which is still a good deal for you)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Would 3/3/3 be reasonable for an immortal ruler?

RabidWeasel posted:

Just giving some AE for random PUs would be a good start, my main issue with it is the fact that it doesn't cost anything. And totally remove the ability to straight up inherit - you should have to integrate or your union minor will stay its own separate state forever (which is still a good deal for you)
If they give AE there should probably be a way to decline the throne so you're not randomly being coalitioned.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Poil posted:

Would 3/3/3 be reasonable for an immortal ruler?

7/7/7

e: honestly 3/3/3 is boring as hell, you might as well just play a republic or something. Either go 6/6/6 or 0/0/0 imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Koramei posted:

7/7/7

e: honestly 3/3/3 is boring as hell, you might as well just play a republic or something. Either go 6/6/6 or 0/0/0 imo
Neither of those seem very fun. Either drowning in monarch points or playing some weird streamer challenge. Maybe I'll just go with a regular ruler then.

I wonder if an immortal 6/6/6 AI ruler is enough to make a high american nation not suck horrendously. Probably not. :v: