Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

You do get a bonus to your army tradition and an age objective in the absolutism era if you were on the winning side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the age of absolutism bonuses can be great, if I'm on the periphery I'll usually try and remember to join whichever side looks like it's going to win.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
This is the 1444ist Europe I've ever seen in 1600. Apparently nothing ever fired because Aragon is still independent, Austria has 0 PUs, and Burgundy is still around (albeit somehow in a PU under Brittany)

Also, loving Novgorod and the Teutonic order are somehow still alive and with close to their normal borders.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
On the other hand, a successful Irish king and a fully integrated Denmark is pretty swell.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lol at all the screenshots on this page with an Iberian power owning huge swaths of North Africa.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
lol at the answer to "how do I handle my unhappy Spanish colonies" being "just do a heckin colonialism on them"

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Has anyone seen Poland take the PU over Lithuania this patch? From my own two games and streams I've watched they go local noble every time. Same with independence for Naples.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ignorant Hick posted:

Has anyone seen Poland take the PU over Lithuania this patch? From my own two games and streams I've watched they go local noble every time. Same with independence for Naples.
I have seen the reverse every game :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Things that annoy me about mercs:

1. Them being forced to be in a single separate stack means dumb poo poo like their moves/retreats go through different provinces getting them accidentally stackwiped, plus they have different move speeds leading to unnecessarily risky close battles.
2. They get so big late game while having awful force comps. If they're going to scale up and be separate have them scale up alongside combat width and have decent amounts of arty.

I don't see any reason why they can't at least be allowed to join a regular stack even if they're forced to stay together. Make it so the general can only lead the stack they're in, it's plenty historical to have a mercenary general leading an army.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a mercenary comp that's like all cannons? I keep encountering (and wiping) stacks that are like 3 infantry and 30 cannon regiments.

Ignorant Hick posted:

Yeah I've seen them go for it twice now (and pass it up twice).

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Does anyone know if Switzerlake is achievable if you don't start as Switzerland? I started as Geneva, reformed Switzerland for the missions but don't see it in the achievements list. I do currently own one costal province, but the wiki claims I can give it up to trigger the goal once I get to 50 provinces.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have seen the reverse every game :v:

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I've seen them go for it twice now (and pass it up twice).

Cool, thought it might have been more patch weirdness.

So centers of revolution spawn in countries with high absolutism, right? If you're not France is the only way to increase your chances of being the revolution target cranking absolutism to max and hoping you get lucky?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I got one as Russia by being the most powerful nation in Europe I think. Also had sky high absolutism, not sure if that's a factor.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ignorant Hick posted:

IIRC they reduced the chance of Poland taking the PU couple of patches ago. My last run had a pretty strong Commonwealth though.

I've had some insane PU luck in my current Stern des Sudens run. In addition to the PUs over Austria (who are huge) and Brandenburg you get from the Bavarian mission tree, about 25 years ago I got a random PU on Aragon and just now in 1700 I got one on motherfuckin Russia. I'm tempted to hit the form Germany button and get their crazy missions but I think that will invalidate the achievement which requires me to be Bavaria. Only problem for the achievement is I need Bremen as a subject but their core was gone by the time I got Bremen as a province so I can't release them. I'm hoping I can release them as a client state once I hit diplo tech 23, but I'm hazy on client state mechanics so I'm not sure if it'll work, and in any case it will be a while before I have the tech since currently all my diplo points are going into integrating Austria. I wish there was a way to pause integration without cancelling it.

e: Welp, can't release Bremen as a client state because "name taken". There doesn't seem to be any other Bremen so I guess it being a normal tag just rules it out and there's no way to get Bremen back into the game that I know of so RIP

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 24, 2020

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

SirPhoebos posted:

One last question, is it worth getting involved in the League War if I'm not in the HRE or neighboring it?

It can be worth it if you want to hamstring the HRE. I had a game recently where protestants won the league war but there were no strong protestant countries in the HRE (Prussia never formed), which was a godsend because dealing with 3 province protestant emperor Hesse was a billion times easier than dealing with catholic emperor Austria whenever I was taking HRE land.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Ignorant Hick posted:

It has happened in 2 out of 3 games for me. In the past, it seemed the Jagiellion was more favored.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
well gently caress, didn't expect Napoleon's ambition would be so hard to get on account of revolutionary ideals spreading so drat fast.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pretty sure the odds on the "Successor of Wladyslaw III" event are the same as before: The AI picks "We need a Jagiellon!" 75% of the time. Any deviation you're seeing is down to the low sample sizes being discussed.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Pretty sure the odds on the "Successor of Wladyslaw III" event are the same as before: The AI picks "We need a Jagiellon!" 75% of the time. Any deviation you're seeing is down to the low sample sizes being discussed.

It's funny how literally every patch there's at least one person who says "I think they changed the AI weights on the Poland PU event" and every time nothing has changed. It's always still 75/25, and they've always just hit the 1/16 chance or whatever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i come alive

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

i come alive

Whothewhatnow?!?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

no cb someone you can fully annex. for me i was able to get one of the opms in the moluccas who hadn't allied anyone
fully annex them, then release and play as them
do an independence war and annex ryukyu
queue up the release and play as vassal screen for ryukyu, don't confirm it yet, then no cb a tribal
in the peace deal offer to release ryukyu and whatever else it takes for them to accept, don't send yet
at the same time (or milliseconds after) you press the send offer peace deal, press c to confirm the release and play as ryukyu
if you time it right ryukyu will get released, inheriting the tribal government type from the horde who forced you to release them, and you'll switch to playing as them. sometimes you're a vassal sometimes you're independent, i think it's down to timing
reform your way to horde by like 1510. i think if you don't have dharma you'll just be a horde but this patch might have changed that

fully ironman and achievement compatible

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They are supposed to have fixed that in this last patch.

If they haven't then you can also do it to be horde Byzantium. You start as ottos and use Circassia as your release-and-play as double target.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I thought they fixed that too.

The more legit way to do it is to go expansion first, colonize to Siberia and hope one of those opm migrating tribes are around and get a border. Subjegate one of them and attack another and give the land to the vassle after raising autonomy to 100 to slow down their reforms. Next colonize to Alaska and down the west coast till you can reach Mexico and convert to nahuatl by 100‰ someone or I guess the temple event. Reform the deletion as fast as possible. Once that is done you should reform you govt off of the former subject tribe as you'll still have a border.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Can you still do the New World religion trick though? At least I was able to do that in the last patch. Process has a few more steps but does not depend on any glitches and also gives you an awesome religion.

- Explore your way over to the Americas, land an army and march down to Mesoamerica. Pick some easy target of the religion you want (I know for a fact it works with Nahuatl and Mayan, should work with Inti too), noCB them and beat them up for 100% war score [1], at which point you can get them to agree to a peace deal where YOU convert to THEIR religion.

- Now you are primitive and have to do the religious reforms. Probably easiest as Nahuatl since you can run around and quickly beat up on American tribal nations to force-vassalize them with your huge tech advantage.

- When you complete the religious reforms, make sure [2] your only border is with a tribal nation that has embraced an institution so you get their government type. Finally reform into a horde.

[1] Obviously this means you have to be small enough to convert religion as a peace deal.

[2] You can prepare for this ahead of time, by taking some tribal vassal [3] -- those isolated Siberian dudes are good for this; plop down a colony next to them away from everyone else, and give the an extra province so they can't migrate away -- then make sure they get an institution embraced, and then while you're primitive you enforce religion on them so they can't pass any government reforms and thus won't sabotage the whole project by no longer being a tribe.

[3] There's a related trick where you start as a Nahuatl (or Mayan or Inti) nation, force-convert yourself to Animist to stop being primitive, develop for at least one institution and prepare a tribal vassal like above, then convert back to Nahuatl (or etc.) and do the religious reforms, and finally reform off that vassal long before any Europeans can show up in the neighbourhood.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

I thought they fixed that too.

The more legit way to do it is to go expansion first, colonize to Siberia and hope one of those opm migrating tribes are around and get a border. Subjegate one of them and attack another and give the land to the vassle after raising autonomy to 100 to slow down their reforms. Next colonize to Alaska and down the west coast till you can reach Mexico and convert to nahuatl by 100‰ someone or I guess the temple event. Reform the deletion as fast as possible. Once that is done you should reform you govt off of the former subject tribe as you'll still have a border.

efb;

but, you don't actually have to colonize down the American coast; just get enough range to discover Alaska, ship an army with a conquistador across, and march him all the way down. Way faster.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Groke posted:

[3] There's a related trick where you start as a Nahuatl (or Mayan or Inti) nation, force-convert yourself to Animist to stop being primitive, develop for at least one institution and prepare a tribal vassal like above, then convert back to Nahuatl (or etc.) and do the religious reforms, and finally reform off that vassal long before any Europeans can show up in the neighbourhood.

I haven't tried doing it in the latest patch but there is (was?) actually a much, much easier way of doing this. As any of the meso/south american religions, you just conquer, core, and release a tribal animist nation. As this nation is now your vassal with an animist religion and a non-migratory-tribe government type, it can embrace institutions. Then you just dev the institution in the vassal's province and reform your own religion off of the vassal.

Also I love talking about this terrible imperialism game in this thread, and if SA goes down the drain please check out bread n roses, which was set up as an SA alternative and features web design from the 21st century.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i know i'm a bit late, but

Wafflecopper posted:

Gold bug fixed, along with something relating to forcing peasant republic in peace which I think I saw people complain about ITT
it's time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5SpavZxeM

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I haven't tried doing it in the latest patch but there is (was?) actually a much, much easier way of doing this. As any of the meso/south american religions, you just conquer, core, and release a tribal animist nation. As this nation is now your vassal with an animist religion and a non-migratory-tribe government type, it can embrace institutions. Then you just dev the institution in the vassal's province and reform your own religion off of the vassal.

Ooh, yes, that's clearly a simpler approach.

On the other hand, going animist and therefore non-primitive yourself for a while does carry another advantage: You can embrace institutions and advance your tech far beyond that of your primitive neighbours, which makes the later process of beating up dudes and passing reforms much easier. (Also you get full income from gold provinces during the non-primitive interval, so you can build a very large cash reserve.)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Any pointers for Knights, specifically On the Rhodes again achievement? I've beaten Ottos with Byzantium and had them give them back Gallipoli and assorted other stuff, so their crossing options are limited; our fleet combined can wipe theirs, so they're pretty much ceased to be a threat.

However, I dunno how/where I should progress: my economy is streaky due to relying on raids, my religious unity is dire (it was 0% until I managed to get Malta through event) and don't have the money nor the missionary strength to convert. I seem to be mostly spinning wheels, and afraid of getting more Otto land as that will be nonstop revolts due to culture and religion; revolts that I can't put down with my meager army.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Red Bones posted:

Also I love talking about this terrible imperialism game in this thread, and if SA goes down the drain please check out bread n roses, which was set up as an SA alternative and features web design from the 21st century.
What SA always needed was more Yankee liberalism so why wouldn't you wanna join such a forum

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

canepazzo posted:

Any pointers for Knights, specifically On the Rhodes again achievement? I've beaten Ottos with Byzantium and had them give them back Gallipoli and assorted other stuff, so their crossing options are limited; our fleet combined can wipe theirs, so they're pretty much ceased to be a threat.

However, I dunno how/where I should progress: my economy is streaky due to relying on raids, my religious unity is dire (it was 0% until I managed to get Malta through event) and don't have the money nor the missionary strength to convert. I seem to be mostly spinning wheels, and afraid of getting more Otto land as that will be nonstop revolts due to culture and religion; revolts that I can't put down with my meager army.

No-CB Byzantium, take Constantinople and Morea, let them keep one or two provinces so you get their cores on Ottoman stuff. Make friends with Hungary/Venice or Poland. Pick Religious ideas first. Don't move your capital to a non-island, as you want the Knights' unique government reform for naval stuff. If you have the Emperor DLC, it's a much smoother ride with tons of missions to help you out. Beat up the Balkans and take/vassalize whenever the opportunity shows itself. Stay friends with the Pope; being at 3 stability all game does wonders for your early lack of religious unity.

If you already have the King of Jerusalem achievement, you have all time in the world to do On the Rhodes, so you don't have to take anything east of Greece before the time is right.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How can I get CBs on Native Civs so I can conquer Central America without the aggressive extension and stability penalties?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How can I get CBs on Native Civs so I can conquer Central America without the aggressive extension and stability penalties?

The finisher if the exploration idea group allows you to fab on colonial nation regions. Generally to get started you start a colony next to a native which allows you to fab on the neighbor. Or just Best CB it and laugh at their spears.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Do you still need to border the Native regions to CB them once you complete the Exploration idea group?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do you still need to border the Native regions to CB them once you complete the Exploration idea group?

No; completed Exploration lets you fabricate claims on any (coastal) province in the colonial regions. (If you actually border them you can fabricate without the Exploration finisher). I think a province still has to be within coring range for you to actually conquer it though. (So if you can't do that: First fabricate on and force-vassalize some small coastal native nation; then fabricate on and conquer another one nearby, because you can core from vassals.)

Groke fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 25, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ok. Thanks

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I was considering grabbing the must have dlc in the steam sale (rights of man, common sense, art of war). Thing is, I seem to have a lot of the features from these dlc in the base game (like province development improvement). I guess these were brought in by an update at some point.

Is it still worth buying these dlc even with the big headline features in the base game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Bug Squash posted:

I was considering grabbing the must have dlc in the steam sale (rights of man, common sense, art of war). Thing is, I seem to have a lot of the features from these dlc in the base game (like province development improvement). I guess these were brought in by an update at some point.

Is it still worth buying these dlc even with the big headline features in the base game?

Leader traits (Rights of Man) is a must buy imo. They don't make a huge difference but they occasionally pay off pretty well and help a lot with narrative!

Common Sense i'd buy if you enjoy having vassals, otherwise nah