Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Whatever it is it makes the cheevo to force it on people as France near impossible because they just do it themselves instead of letting you beat it into them.

Also, lmfao Aragon. My roomy is playing drunk and I'm just coaching and also drinking. Five PUs by 1464. Three if you don't count Naples and Navarra.

e: Portugal and Castile didn't even have time to pick ideas, this means they're going to be useless lapdogs instead of colonizing doesn't it

e2: inherited Burgundy, gg

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Over the years I know exactly how the trade system works and how you can make a ton of passive income by just bee-lining to all the centres of trade in the Persia node and collecting that sweet accumulated caravan trade but I still have literally no idea how to do PUs. Also probably because I get really bored of playing Europe quickly.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
What’s the best way to go about combat in regards to keeping forces combined vs having many separate stacks in different provinces, and then throwing them into the combat after it begins?

I tend to do the latter as it keeps attrition down, but the AI seems to prefer its doom stacks.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
While the new "go to province" thing on events is great, it's really baffling how inconsistently it's applied. There are some national events that merely involve a province as the trigger point that have goto buttons, whilst there are more than a few province events that literally only impact that single province and yet they don't get a button. The QoL changes in this patch as a whole are fantastic, it just seems odd that given the insanely long dev cycle of this patch relative to previous ones, that they couldn't get that one fully figured out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think I messed up my AEIOU run by conquering too much. I've done all the missions except the revolution one and the one after that. Except the revolution spawned in my territory, so I think the only way to finish the mission is to embrace it, but I'm huge and spread out all the way to China so I'm not sure all my provinces will go revolutionary before the end of the game. Anyone know if declaring on another country that gets the revolution will work or does it have to be the host country of the centre of revolution? Can't check yet since the only other countries to get it so far are my HRE vassals.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

when the revolution spawned in my territorry it eventually just petered out and died and that counted for the mission

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

I think I messed up my AEIOU run by conquering too much. I've done all the missions except the revolution one and the one after that. Except the revolution spawned in my territory, so I think the only way to finish the mission is to embrace it, but I'm huge and spread out all the way to China so I'm not sure all my provinces will go revolutionary before the end of the game. Anyone know if declaring on another country that gets the revolution will work or does it have to be the host country of the centre of revolution? Can't check yet since the only other countries to get it so far are my HRE vassals.

There is also a disaster for the Revolution now(? honestly I don't know if it was there before I had literally never gotten to 1700 before this patch) that starts ticking as soon as you hit a certain percentage of revolutionary provinces and have less than three stability. If you let that get to 100 it fires an event that allows you to choose between going Rev with a bunch of temporary maluses and staying a monarchy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

Eventually the revolution fizzles out if there's no rev target, and you get mission completion.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Can you do anything to stop the spread of the revolution? I got it in an Italy game and it just slowly whittled down my income and I couldn't do anything about it.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

What even governs Revolutionary spread? I got it as Russia, embraced it, and now the whole drat world is revolutionary.

My client states are Revolutionary Revolutionary Revolutionary Revolutionary <name> too for some reason.

Did you pop them out after you went revolutionary or did they flip on their own? I just hit age of revolutions in my Prussia to Germany game and I want my future client states to join in on the fun, assuming the revolution doesn't spawn in Ming or something.

Anyone know if your regular vassals will go revolutionary as well?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do you start the revolution now? I've been in the revolting age for a few decades and nothing has happened or triggered. There are no new disasters at all. Still only the civil war and whatever the other is called that's been along since the start.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Poil posted:

How do you start the revolution now? I've been in the revolting age for a few decades and nothing has happened or triggered. There are no new disasters at all. Still only the civil war and whatever the other is called that's been along since the start.

Are you New World native? Because I did an Aztec game recently and had the same issue.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ithle01 posted:

Are you New World native? Because I did an Aztec game recently and had the same issue.
Orleans. So no, firmly old world native.

edit
I used the console to switch over and checked Portugal, Austria, Japan and the Papal States and none of them have any revolution or desire for freedom disasters either. Only Japan hadn't embraced enlightenment. Comet to think of it, none of them had the absolution disaster and I haven't seen it at all for myself despite being at 95 for a very long time.

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 3, 2020

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Poil posted:

Orleans. So no, firmly old world native.

edit
I used the console to switch over and checked Portugal, Austria, Japan and the Papal States and none of them have any revolution or desire for freedom disasters either. Only Japan hadn't embraced enlightenment. Comet to think of it, none of them had the absolution disaster and I haven't seen it at all for myself despite being at 95 for a very long time.

Weird, I had this pop for me as Karagwe in around 1740 or so and also around then as Prussia. Maybe you just need to wait a bit longer for the event to kick off.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ithle01 posted:

Weird, I had this pop for me as Karagwe in around 1740 or so and also around then as Prussia. Maybe you just need to wait a bit longer for the event to kick off.
I'll give it a few more decades then, thank you. Does embracing the enlightenment effect it in any way?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Poil posted:

I'll give it a few more decades then, thank you. Does embracing the enlightenment effect it in any way?

You cant get the special French Revolution event.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

I was going for getting the hegemon achievement and then since I'm dumb I decided why not just conquer Europe as well and finish the WC since I'd never done one on VH before.

Thoughts:

-The new state cap buildings need to have their own building slots or something because holy poo poo having to go province by province deleting useless naval batteries so I have space to build courthouses is awful. I also think the fact that AIs are spamming all of these non-ducat-making buildings may be contributing to the debt spirals.

-The hardest part was conquering the colonizers because CNs can just spam merc stacks so I had to kill like 1-2M colonial troops per war

-The Sunni trade node religious propagation doesn't work in Europe which is bullshit

-Maybe I did something wrong but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the Revolution to kick off if you are large enough because it spawned in my territory, and then converted like 3% of my land or something before dying out

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Trying to get Better than Napoleon with the power of love.

They say just 15 years left if I keep the same diplomatic reputation.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ignorant Hick posted:

Did you pop them out after you went revolutionary or did they flip on their own? I just hit age of revolutions in my Prussia to Germany game and I want my future client states to join in on the fun, assuming the revolution doesn't spawn in Ming or something.

Anyone know if your regular vassals will go revolutionary as well?

I created them after going revolutionary, and created them as revolutionary republics to begin with.

My regular vassals did eventually go revolutionary as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How do you recruit marines? I know they got added but I dont see how to get them in game

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

AnEdgelord posted:

How do you recruit marines? I know they got added but I dont see how to get them in game

I found them in the build tab (b), when trying to build individual units, they’ll be at the bottom!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Popoto posted:

I found them in the build tab (b), when trying to build individual units, they’ll be at the bottom!

Dont see them there, just the normal three

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Dont see them there, just the normal three

Pretty sure they will only show up if you have marine force limit > 0. I know Naval ideas increases the marine force limit and sure there are other ways.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah Russian Streltsy show up there, I'd expect marines would too (though I'm not sure why you'd ever want them)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah Russian Streltsy show up there, I'd expect marines would too (though I'm not sure why you'd ever want them)

It was starting to get annoying ferrying my regular troops around my colonial empire as portugal since a quarter of them would always die rounding the cape of good hope, at the very least I wanted a rapid response force that I could sail around to put down the occasional rebel stack in my trade companies.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I thought Hegemony requirements are too harsh to be useful. Turns out they can become available long before you really need them. Becoming a hegemon gives you -100 relations with basically everyone. That makes visualization problematic, not to mention alliances. Maybe it's fine if you're not focusing on diplomacy but it was a nasty surprise when I clicked that button and alliances disappeared.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ilitarist posted:

I thought Hegemony requirements are too harsh to be useful. Turns out they can become available long before you really need them. Becoming a hegemon gives you -100 relations with basically everyone. That makes visualization problematic, not to mention alliances. Maybe it's fine if you're not focusing on diplomacy but it was a nasty surprise when I clicked that button and alliances disappeared.

Probably shouldn't affect people unless they themselves have a stake in the race.

Like, a hegemony is something you should apply your nation for, putting you in the race for reaching 100% before others do. Could give a new CB or something against others in that category, too.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Playing as Austria, I managed to stomp out all the centers of reformation and mistakenly thought I was on my way to avoiding the league war entirely. It fires, and the only members to join the Protestant side consists are Saluzzo and Trent. France, Russia, and the Ottomans eventually joined too, but it was still the most hilariously lopsided league I've seen.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Communist Walrus posted:

Playing as Austria, I managed to stomp out all the centers of reformation and mistakenly thought I was on my way to avoiding the league war entirely. It fires, and the only members to join the Protestant side consists are Saluzzo and Trent. France, Russia, and the Ottomans eventually joined too, but it was still the most hilariously lopsided league I've seen.

This patch has really highlighted that the league war and really the whole reformation needs redoing. First of all, it'd be cool if it was at least possible for it to actually happen in the 1600s, and secondly, every game without fail, unless the player intervenes, the "protestant" side is just France, Russia, and Ottomans, none of whom are protestant, sending hundreds of thousands to die to gently caress with Austria.

The reformation still also needs another look. It's dumb as hell how the HRE will guaranteed by nearly 100% protestant or reformed long before the leagues even start, even if protestants spawn in like, Ireland, and even a dominant AI HRE Austria will convert as soon as religious peace happens. Honestly the counter-reformation should spawn catholic centres that heavily resist conversion or something.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 4, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really want the reformation to be tied to the printing press institution somehow because historically the printing press was a major part of how the reformation spread. Hell Martin Luther's 95 theses were only spread around as much because there were printing presses churning them out. So when the the reformation fires before colonialism even spawns its very jarring.

As far as the Ottomans France and Russia joining the "protestant" side of the league war its kinda hard to not have that happen because thats literally what happened historically.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

finished my poland game for the space achievement, from north sea to shining aral sea. declined elective monarchy and instead inherited lithuania...which took 200 years to integrate.

after ~1600 money no longer became an object. i think i need to play a new world nation next as a palette cleanser.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AnEdgelord posted:

I really want the reformation to be tied to the printing press institution somehow because historically the printing press was a major part of how the reformation spread. Hell Martin Luther's 95 theses were only spread around as much because there were printing presses churning them out. So when the the reformation fires before colonialism even spawns its very jarring.

yeah, the institutions for colonialism and printing press should be swapped and the reformation require printing press to be embraced in some country first.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

AnEdgelord posted:

As far as the Ottomans France and Russia joining the "protestant" side of the league war its kinda hard to not have that happen because thats literally what happened historically.

Nations outside of Germany should only be able to join in the fighting after a suitable amount of time or warscore has accumulated. This would also help it feel more like an actual 30 Years War.

Also yeah all of central europe turning prot every game is dumb as hell and I'm surprised they didn't tweak it at all

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

Yes, but indirectly. There weren't one hundred thousand janissaries besieging Vienna in 1619.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

In my Munich game all three Protestant centres spawned in Ireland. They were suppressed by Anglicanism in Britain and never made it further than Brittany on the continent.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Beamed posted:

yeah, the institutions for colonialism and printing press should be swapped and the reformation require printing press to be embraced in some country first.

This is actually a really cool suggestion and makes a lot of historical sense, though I can't see Paradox making such a drastic change to the institution system this late in EU4's lifetime if they didn't do it with the 2 year mega-update that was Emperor. The printing press had taken (central and western) Europe by storm by the turn of the century, whilst in OTL the Americas had been discovered less than a decade ago and outside of Spain turboannexing Mesoamerica, European colonialism in a broader sense really didn't take off until well into the 16th century.

Edit: upon further reflection, given that Printing Press usually spawns in German OPM Heaven, the best approach under this model would probably require Printing Press to be present in a certain amount of development regardless of embracement, otherwise it basically changes nothing and the reformation will continue pop a decade or two early that it historically should.

Beet fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 6, 2020

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Doubleposting to complain that apparently taking land in an independence war counts as breaking a promise to give land to the allies who supported your independence??? At least, as Holland I just used France to get out from under Burgundy's thumb, but now that I want them to join a second war against them where I would actually give them land I'm getting a -1000 from broken promises of land.

Edit: No, wait, that can't be it. Castile doesn't have any issue, and they were in the war too. Is it just because I had all of Flanders as provinces of interest and hoovered them all in the peace deal that France was pissed enough to lose trust but not break the alliance? They were the ones that sieged down the fort in Brussels that they then immediately turned over to me.

Beet fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 6, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

One revolution is not enough for New Holland

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Turns out Byzantium makes for a very fun game, provided you can get past the initial Ottoman hurdle. You basically take the place of the ottomans where you can expand in any direction without accumulating AE on one side of your empire and go the other way when you've got too much.

I might actually get the Basileus achievement after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Karanas posted:

Turns out Byzantium makes for a very fun game, provided you can get past the initial Ottoman hurdle. You basically take the place of the ottomans where you can expand in any direction without accumulating AE on one side of your empire and go the other way when you've got too much.

I might actually get the Basileus achievement after all these years.

I think Byzantium will be my next game after I get done with my Prussia run