Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«298 »
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wafflecopper posted:

One revolution is not enough for New Holland

Revolve Hard 3: Revolve with a Vengeance

Also, finished my AEIOU run. What was left of Spain eventually became the revolution target (I assume via the disaster, I don't understand the new (or old) revolution mechanics really) so I was able to get the mission done then. Came the closest I have and probably will ever come to a WC:

I was really really close to getting enough warscore to full annex Spain and get all their colonies but just ran out of time and peaced out leaving them with one province in Micronesia so I could push the HRE button in time to get a pretty borders screenshot before the game ended. I revoked privilegia ~1630 and probably could have done the WC if I'd pushed a bit harder a bit earlier (particularly at Russia and the Mughals) but My main goal for the run was getting the achievement and I decided to just conquer as much as possible while waiting for the revolution for the related mission.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER

Taco Defender

Karanas posted:

Turns out Byzantium makes for a very fun game, provided you can get past the initial Ottoman hurdle. You basically take the place of the ottomans where you can expand in any direction without accumulating AE on one side of your empire and go the other way when you've got too much.

I might actually get the Basileus achievement after all these years.

That achievement got massively harder when they changed it so you can cross blockaded straits where you occupy territory on both sides. Before that, it was easy. Go into debt and build enough galleys to beat the Ottoman's fleet, then just blockade the strait while the Ottodorks are picking on some Anatolian minor and have their armies there, while you siege down the Balkans without any threat. They're helpless.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Karanas posted:

Turns out Byzantium makes for a very fun game, provided you can get past the initial Ottoman hurdle. You basically take the place of the ottomans where you can expand in any direction without accumulating AE on one side of your empire and go the other way when you've got too much.

I might actually get the Basileus achievement after all these years.
How do you actually get over that hurdle, these days?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Node posted:

That achievement got massively harder when they changed it so you can cross blockaded straits where you occupy territory on both sides. Before that, it was easy. Go into debt and build enough galleys to beat the Ottoman's fleet, then just blockade the strait while the Ottodorks are picking on some Anatolian minor and have their armies there, while you siege down the Balkans without any threat. They're helpless.

Don't you do exactly the same thing now, except you have to rush down Gallipoli? Or did they actually give the Ottos a fort there in the beginning?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Don't you do exactly the same thing now, except you have to rush down Gallipoli? Or did they actually give the Ottos a fort there in the beginning?
They have a fort there now, yeah.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Shawon Dunston posted:

Doubleposting to complain that apparently taking land in an independence war counts as breaking a promise to give land to the allies who supported your independence??? At least, as Holland I just used France to get out from under Burgundy's thumb, but now that I want them to join a second war against them where I would actually give them land I'm getting a -1000 from broken promises of land.

Edit: No, wait, that can't be it. Castile doesn't have any issue, and they were in the war too. Is it just because I had all of Flanders as provinces of interest and hoovered them all in the peace deal that France was pissed enough to lose trust but not break the alliance? They were the ones that sieged down the fort in Brussels that they then immediately turned over to me.

From personal experience (Transoxiana breaking off from Timurids) it is if you take land when the other vassals have joined you in the independence. When I did it with Fars and Sistan I got the penalty, when I did it solo it was all good. Did you have the other duchies with you breaking off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This patch has really highlighted that the league war and really the whole reformation needs redoing. First of all, it'd be cool if it was at least possible for it to actually happen in the 1600s, and secondly, every game without fail, unless the player intervenes, the "protestant" side is just France, Russia, and Ottomans, none of whom are protestant, sending hundreds of thousands to die to gently caress with Austria.

The reformation still also needs another look. It's dumb as hell how the HRE will guaranteed by nearly 100% protestant or reformed long before the leagues even start, even if protestants spawn in like, Ireland, and even a dominant AI HRE Austria will convert as soon as religious peace happens. Honestly the counter-reformation should spawn catholic centres that heavily resist conversion or something.

Yeah, it would make sense if there was some potential for "catholic strongholds" to arise. Sort of like how (I'm not sure if this is still the case) Mecca had a special modifier if you wanted to try and convert it, some provinces are immune to conversion centers or maybe a country reduces the chance of provinces getting hit/increase the time to convert/decreases the modifier for converting province back.

Something like this would solve the problem mentioned earlier of Ireland becoming instantly Anglican.

«298 »