Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just :lol: if you aren't stacking every +General Siege and Siege Ability modifier you can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine if the AI upgraded its forts

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I was actually really surprised to see an AI actually had in my last game. Frankfurt built a level 6 fort, the only one in the whole world that I could see.

That was actually an issue in Stellaris for months too. The AI would never upgrade it's starbases, which it needed to have to build up it's forcelimit, and so nearly any AI would just be at about quarter strength all the time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

I was actually really surprised to see an AI actually had in my last game. Frankfurt built a level 6 fort, the only one in the whole world that I could see.

That was actually an issue in Stellaris for months too. The AI would never upgrade it's starbases, which it needed to have to build up it's forcelimit, and so nearly any AI would just be at about quarter strength all the time.

One assumes they did it because they didn’t have the building slots for precious coastal forts and barrackses

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm seeing lots of upgraded forts in my games. Not too many level 8s, but plenty of level 4s and 6s. Still some 2s in high-value spots though (like Milan, for some reason).

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imagine if the AI upgraded its forts

They used to do this a few patches back and endgame wars were loving miserable affairs that lasted forever, they really need to tone down the fort bonuses to 2,3,4,5, instead of 2,4,6,8

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that is very true. Invading late game Ming was just so miserable always.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 2, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Getting Najd off the ground is tougher than I expected. They start with 10 development and, unlike most of the arabian peninsula, no Feudalism. That means you have a few years to get feudalism before your neighbors get miltech 4 and stomp you. Almost all the nearby provinces are 5 or less development, so even though I'm happy to take out 40 loans for a gamey start I can't see how I can ever pay them off.

So far I've abandoned 3 games where I invaded Haasa. You could also invade Medina to get Feudalism or go through Dawasir to get to Yemeni countries which have it. Most of those targets don't have any development either though.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 2, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Just :lol: if you aren't stacking every +General Siege and Siege Ability modifier you can find.
This is part of why I went Aristocratic first, because i would want that pip eventually anyway, and as was said the other bonuses are best leveraged early. Having 6 Siege, Combat width of Artillery, and a baseline of +55% Siege Ability is completely bananas. My 6 Siege guy got the +15% Siege Ability trait - he was winning sieges against any castle in thirteen days.

Ithle01 posted:

They used to do this a few patches back and endgame wars were loving miserable affairs that lasted forever, they really need to tone down the fort bonuses to 2,3,4,5, instead of 2,4,6,8
Yeah I would like to see the AIs spending habits fixed but I dont want this back. Especially because by the late 1700s fotrs were becoming less and less of a big deal, not the other way around.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

What does it take to do a one faith run in 1.30? I’ve been playing Austria for the mission tree, but as of 1601 have ended up in the position that:
-I own outright all the usual suspects (Hungary, Bohemia, burgundy, Netherlands, Italy, half the balkans)
-I’m on my way to revoke privlegia in the next 50 years
-I have a PU with Russia, Spain (which inherited Portugal), and England
-Ottomans is weak and hasn’t expanded into Mamluks

In Europe the only major non-Catholic countries are England and Russia.

This seems like a pretty good launching point for one faith; the issues seem to be England’s colonial subjects and subject trade company provinces, but I feel like two centuries is enough time to deal with that. Am I off the mark or is it worth trying for one faith?

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Had something really strange in my current game. The Pope gave colonial Mexico to Huastec. Even more strange, Huastec is Sunni. There are no Sunni colonizers in the new world, so WTF?

I imagine the fact that Huastec ate Portugal had something to do with it. They were reduced to one province in Mexico next to their colonial subject, and the Pope had given them Mexico. When Huastec annexed both of them, I got the message that the Pope had granted them colonial Mexico.

Can religious minorities be expelled like cultural minorities? If so, I think Portugal may have done so (they had a decent chunk of Morocco at one point), and then the provinces got taken by Huastec, who then converted to Islam. That's the only explanation I can think of. Still doesn't explain the Pope, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know if you can expel same-culture religious minorities but any minorities you do expel will take their religion with them, so you can definitely populate the new world with muslims as portugal.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This is kinda minor in the big picture but kinda not when you have so many ways of adding to it and they've added things like the Hegemon system:

Why doesnt this break down/have a separate entry for "Regimental Camp/Conscription Center"? I would like to add another army and I'd like to know how many of my Regimental Camps that I would need to upgrade to Conscription Centers in order to have the Forcelimit but I cant figure out how to tell how many I have.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Can't you just go to the buildings build menu, sort by lowest added value on the camp and click build the number of times you want your FL to be increased by?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

Can't you just go to the buildings build menu, sort by lowest added value on the camp and click build the number of times you want your FL to be increased by?
I hadnt thought of that, and it helps, but it doesnt really give me a count I dont think?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't it a flat increase per building?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

sort of? Regimental camps are effected both by autonomy and by force limit modifiers like the quantity finisher or the 6th offensive idea.

Without any force limit modifiers in a 0 autonomy province it is going to be a flat increase of 1 though.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
yeah, its +1 / +2 just do some math my dude

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Firebatgyro posted:

yeah, its +1 / +2 just do some math my dude
Yeah but but but that takes effort, maaaaaan.

In other news, I continue to learn new and interesting things taking this Persia game into the late 1600s. Like that it is possible to get your general cost down to 5 Mil power. That is five, as in a single digit.

Its nice having 20+ pips for every general, including my heir.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If Russia's supporting my vassal's independence but the cowards won't attack because I can beat them, is there anything to do but launch a pre-emptive liberation of the oppressed russian people?

I mainly don't want to fight them because I don't want to fight a Yuan-Russia war of 100s of k over a bunch of fortless steppe with the way wars work :(

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

just build level 8 forts along the border and take the absolutism bonus that makes em free, once they're finished declare war, by the time you mop up the vassal they'll be halfway done

Unless the AI can ignore those forts since the provinces are big, I forget it works like that sometimes

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Beamed posted:

Unless the AI can ignore those forts since the provinces are big, I forget it works like that sometimes

wait what

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If I am working on grinding down the Ottomans and the next techs up are level 22 Admin Efficiency +10% and "Advanced Casus Belli" I should probably wait a year or two to get them before I declare on the Ottomans again, even if my truce is about to run out? Both techs are at 120% cost right now so I;'d be waiting a few years, but it will mean I could grab more land, right?

Wafflecopper posted:

Beamed posted:

wait what
I, too, am curious about this.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Zone_of_control#ZoC_rule

Basically, there's some arcane rule regarding how far you move from the original province, while still able to move, which means you can technically continue going to any province regardless of ZoC. I'm not sure I 100% understand it, but the AI definitely does, and that makes it difficult to tell if the AI is cheating (like with no FoW), or forts just weird.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Yeah I don't think I understand it either. The link you provided outlines basically how you can move around the periphery of a fort, but not how you can move past it. The big cheat everyone should know about is being able to move to any coastal province bordering a sea tile that you landed from, but that doesn't sound like what you're referring to.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GROOGY WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN US

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Beamed posted:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Zone_of_control#ZoC_rule

Basically, there's some arcane rule regarding how far you move from the original province, while still able to move, which means you can technically continue going to any province regardless of ZoC. I'm not sure I 100% understand it, but the AI definitely does, and that makes it difficult to tell if the AI is cheating (like with no FoW), or forts just weird.

In addition to that rule, it could also be this "Note that all ZoC rules are checked at the time the movement order is given. Changes in ZoC afterwards are ignored."

I've been able to bypass fort ZoC by telling my army to move on the day I declare war. In those cases the enemy forts were mothballed. It doesn't cancel army movement when the forts become manned, but if you do give any further movement orders to those armies after the forts are manned, it will now take those forts ZoC into account. I wouldn't doubt that the AI does this as well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

New Dev Diary about new stuff for Khmer:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...20200804_for_dd

Includes a screenshot of a new Estate Privilege that reduces dev cost in Jungles for certain countries, which is hopefully is a lead in to them adding that for other countries in other terrains, the first thing coming to mind for me is Persia and mountains - the historical seat of massive empire after massive empire has nothing better than a few small clusters of drylands and at least 50% mountains, including one of the historical capitals.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MuffinsAndPie posted:

In addition to that rule, it could also be this "Note that all ZoC rules are checked at the time the movement order is given. Changes in ZoC afterwards are ignored."

I've been able to bypass fort ZoC by telling my army to move on the day I declare war. In those cases the enemy forts were mothballed. It doesn't cancel army movement when the forts become manned, but if you do give any further movement orders to those armies after the forts are manned, it will now take those forts ZoC into account. I wouldn't doubt that the AI does this as well.
The AI seems able to do that to border forts even when you're not mothballing them however. Or basically any fort that doesn't only border your land provinces.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Poil posted:

The AI seems able to do that to border forts even when you're not mothballing them however. Or basically any fort that doesn't only border your land provinces.

Keep in mind that forts can cancel out each other's ZoC. So if your enemy built a fort in a province next to yours, that may enable them to walk past your fort even when it's maintained, depending on the province layout.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
My first Mamluks run is going rather well. Had to fight a coalition as I went after Mesopotamia a bit too hard, but it's 1600 and I have the horn of Africa, the whole Levant, most of Anatolia and spreading into Iran.

Are there benefits to forming Egypt or Arabia? The mamluk interactions are not bad, even if their missions are a bit lackluster. Also, any related achievements worth chasing?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dang, I'm actually using Client States for once, and for some reason I thought they didnt take a relation slot if I kept them as a vassal so my plan to spin off a bunch of territory/trade company land into subjects is dead. I guess I could set them free and hope they dont conspire to kill me? Or is there something I am missing or obviously doing wrong? I read the wiki and it doesnt say anything about it so I guess I am just wrong about it?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 5, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Dang, for some reason I thought Client States didnt take a relation slot so my plan to spin off a bunch of territory/trade company land into subjects is dead. I guess I could set them free and hope they dont conspire to kill me? Or is there something I am missing or obviously doing wrong?

Not sure the client state vassal swarm idea is wise in the long run. Client states are generally meant as a way to conquer more territory without spending admin on coring costs and to help with religious conversion (though they always take humanist and are inconsistent at this). A lot of players will just feed them a bunch of land to core and convert then annex them after 10 years. Alternatively, client states can be useful as big vassals when you take the liberty desire reduction age bonuses so you can keep your GC low. In either of those cases, you don't need a whole lot of diplo slots.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not sure the client state vassal swarm idea is wise in the long run. Client states are generally meant as a way to conquer more territory without spending admin on coring costs. A lot of players will just feed them a bunch of land to core and convert then annex them after 10 years. Alternatively, client states can be useful as big vassals when you take the liberty desire reduction age bonuses so you can keep your GC low. In either of those cases, you don't need a whole lot of diplo slots.
You caught me before my edit but you knew what I was saying. I guess I misunderstood the nature of their use - I have land that I dont want to bother to hold directly (interior of Arabia, the steppes north of the Aral Sea, Nubia, interior Africa other than Zimbabwe, ect) but obviously that will not be happening. I wanted a lot of small to medium vassals to help with carpet sieging. Its so nice not needing to micro manage occupying every single Ottoman province every 15 years and I would like to lean into that (my current list of 5 Marches are good for occupying a good third of the my enemy's land each war thus far). I wish I could assign my armies to behave like vassal armies that I give orders to.

edit: huh I guess I could build armies that I attack to the armies of the subjects that I do have so that they are more swole and have leaders. Maybe I'll try that instead.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sephyr posted:

My first Mamluks run is going rather well. Had to fight a coalition as I went after Mesopotamia a bit too hard, but it's 1600 and I have the horn of Africa, the whole Levant, most of Anatolia and spreading into Iran.

Are there benefits to forming Egypt or Arabia? The mamluk interactions are not bad, even if their missions are a bit lackluster. Also, any related achievements worth chasing?

Mamluk government is OP, there is pretty much no reason to form Egypt as the Mamluks. Arabia also takes away your government, but it does turn you into an empire, although it sounds like you might already be one. The biggest reason to form Arabia with the Mamluks is the fact that they have a better map color.

The Levant Turnabout is a pretty straightforward achievement to get with them.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Nah, both those countries have terrible ideas. Rum is cool if you culture convert to Turkish

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Firebatgyro posted:

Nah, both those countries have terrible ideas. Rum is cool if you culture convert to Turkish

The Wiki says neither of them have their own ideas, so the main thing would be losing the Mamluk government. Maybe set up for the Arabian Coffee one and then do that when you're done with everythign else you're after.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Firebatgyro posted:

I was really surprised as Karaman, when I formed Rûm and realised they had no unique missions or decisions. They're literally the Ottomans without their missions, decisions, or events and a tweaked set of ideas.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

As Mughals I'm conquering East and South Africa for the trade and gold. I should be putting those areas (Swahili coast and south) into trade companies, right? Aside from a little manpower there doesn't seem like much reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As Mughals I'm conquering East and South Africa for the trade and gold. I should be putting those areas (Swahili coast and south) into trade companies, right? Aside from a little manpower there doesn't seem like much reason not to.

Tbh you should be trade companying up most of the world outside your subcontinent. Suggest you have a look at Budgetmonk's latest video on governing capacity vs minimum autonomy.