Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Need some help

https://imgur.com/a/tzZFWnw

how do I get rid of the mods in the Paradoxlauncher, that are not updated anymore? Simply unsubscribing from them on Steam does not get the entry out of this list and they are not in the 'mod' folder within the game directory
and I am really sick of this unwieldy list of like thirty or more mods I downloaded over the years :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Just finished my first Ottomans game in 5 years to get Sultan of Rum and Parisian Pasha, and my god are they boring. They're so strong you're playing in 1444 like it's the 1600s. Just non-stop expansion, and no one can stop you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Karanas posted:

Just finished my first Ottomans game in 5 years to get Sultan of Rum and Parisian Pasha, and my god are they boring. They're so strong you're playing in 1444 like it's the 1600s. Just non-stop expansion, and no one can stop you.

Yeah I did the first one earlier this year and it was so dull I abandoned parisian pasha for a future Rûm game instead of ottos

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Karanas posted:

but you might get some bad events in like 1800 once you own the world

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
I played a Florence - Tuscany - Italy game probly a year ago and switching to Tuscany led to a monarchy. You get good Monarchs though

Cobra Lionfist
Jun 4, 2013
Also the game crashed when I formed italy

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

skipThings posted:

Need some help

how do I get rid of the mods in the Paradoxlauncher, that are not updated anymore? Simply unsubscribing from them on Steam does not get the entry out of this list and they are not in the 'mod' folder within the game directory
and I am really sick of this unwieldy list of like thirty or more mods I downloaded over the years :(

Have you looked in my documents/paradox interactive/EU4/mods ? because that is where everything is stored, not in the actual game dir.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

MrBling posted:

Have you looked in my documents/paradox interactive/EU4/mods ? because that is where everything is stored, not in the actual game dir.

Yes, that's what I meant with game directory, it appeared completely empty to me

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

skipThings posted:

Need some help

They moved mods. Look in (Steam folder)\steamapps\workshop\content\236850

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

ilitarist posted:

They moved mods. Look in (Steam folder)\steamapps\workshop\content\236850

Well, found the folder and deleted all the folders inside that, which had more numbers as names, that were filled with thumbnails of the mods I wanted to delete
restarted steam
but they are still all there in the launcher

I am sure I am just forgetting something obvious

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MrBling posted:

Oh, well I was just going by this. I guess it could be outdated.

Either way, I just need to take Rome and I can form Italy. Tuscany doesn't have any new missions as far as I can tell so there doesn't seem any reason to do it.

mouse over the effects of the decision in game and it will very crystal clear tell you if it'll gently caress around with reforms

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have not played into the late game very often and when I have it has been to achieve a specific goal and then I quit the game - as my Qara Qoyunlu => Persia game to get This is Persia! its 1718 and I need two, maybe three more wars to finish annexing the land for the achievement, but a Center of Revolution just spawned in my capital. According to the wiki it will continue to spread the revolution like a Center of Reformation and I'll start to get events and stuff, but I have no loans, War Exhaustion, and averaging 95 Prestige. Is it worthwhile to dump Prestige and wreck my stability (I guess I could trucebreak the Ottomans to speed both things up? heh) to become the Revolution Target just so I can speed up getting the achievement? I dont have any vested interest in doing it or not doing it, but the wiki tells me what will happen and the modifiers I get, but I cant tell if I want to bother going through with it? For reference I am #1 world power with no possible rivals, I am now known as The Caliphate because I took the Unify Islam decision (edit: lol at needing Infi of all places), have 400k men in the field with a Forcelimit that recently ballooned to 700 because I finally finished Admin and started stating all this juicy Ottoman land I have heisted, over 4000 dev owned, 5 massive marches, and trade income alone over 300/month. I am to the point that I have more money than I can spend with all buildings I want to build at max level, half my states on the extra manpower state Edict, and yada yada

tldr I guess what I'm getting at is that this is the most powerful empire I have ever built in over 1000 hours of playing the game, is it worth going even harder to embrace the revolution when I really just want to wrap the game up ASAP?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 6, 2020

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Literally just kill all the other mans. Spinning a game out for another five hours or whatever is a great way of burning out on it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tbh you could probably do minimal levels of expansion for the first 200 years and then explode and nab most achievements after absolutism, but it is more fun expanding with so many constraints put on you in the early game

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

Tbh you could probably do minimal levels of expansion for the first 200 years and then explode and nab most achievements after absolutism, but it is more fun expanding with so many constraints put on you in the early game

I do love the rotating nibble effect that early conquering involves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lmao I'm playing in Africa. Ottos aren't on the GP list and the HRE just got dismantled less than 100 years in. What the hell is going on up there

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lmao I'm playing in Africa. Ottos aren't on the GP list and the HRE just got dismantled less than 100 years in. What the hell is going on up there

lmao, I didn't even know the AI could dismantle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Usually the HRE will only dismantle without the player’s input if it becomes impossible to elect an emperor (because everyone is either wrong religion or a woman)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

skasion posted:

Usually the HRE will only dismantle without the player’s input if it becomes impossible to elect an emperor (because everyone is either wrong religion or a woman)

Yeah, that's how I got the achievement. Just for being alive somewhere on the planet at the moment they failed to elect a new emperor of some place we'd never heard of. Kind of dumb.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

Literally just kill all the other mans. Spinning a game out for another five hours or whatever is a great way of burning out on it.
:hmmyes:

I overthink things way too much. Murder-Death-Kill mode activated.

Aethernet posted:

I do love the rotating nibble effect that early conquering involves.
Yeah I love it too. Something about that feeling of eventually being able to start to crush people when you transition to taking bigger and bigger chunks feels great.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

lmao, I didn't even know the AI could dismantle.

I got my Dismantle HRE achievement this way. AI did it while I played Mali I think.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to legitimately play as a Chinese "minor"? Starting as Ming and triggering all the fun stuff and just picking one of the places that break away as they do? Without releasing a vassal?

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 8, 2020

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Poil posted:

Is there a way to legitimately okay as a Chinese "minor"? Starting as Ming and triggering all the fun stuff and just picking one of the places that break away as they do? Without releasing a vassal?

There's no way beyond releasing a country to switch to a non-formable without console or reloading.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

There's no way beyond releasing a country to switch to a non-formable without console or reloading.
Aw, that's disappointing. Thank you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I started in Uganda, going for Victorian Three (since someone this weak might actually be fun to take to max tech?), the achievement for collecting fetishist cults, and the achievement for ten gold mines (look the gently caress out Sumatra we're one down), and it's way funner than I thought. It was also hilariously easy to lock the euros out of the Indian Ocean and stop being weak but eh.

I feel like going explo/expansion should have some kind of gatekeeping. In the meantime my Ganda-Swahili maritime republic has the best counterfactual headcanon of any game I've played in a while.

e: also just learned that the "low army maintenance" alert only shows up at minimum maintenance, and lost 40k troops who were slightly funded figuring it out

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 7, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I started in Uganda, going for Victorian Three (since someone this weak might actually be fun to take to max tech?), the achievement for collecting fetishist cults, and the achievement for ten gold mines (look the gently caress out Sumatra we're one down), and it's way funner than I thought. It was also hilariously easy to lock the euros out of the Indian Ocean and stop being weak but eh.

I feel like going explo/expansion should have some kind of gatekeeping. In the meantime my Ganda-Swahili maritime republic has the best counterfactual headcanon of any game I've played in a while.

e: also just learned that the "low army maintenance" alert only shows up at minimum maintenance, and lost 40k troops who were slightly funded figuring it out
I really enjoyed my Victorian Three run and had a blast figuring out that you can get mega rich by colonizing the interior of East Africa and losing it up with manufactories.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Trip report 120 years in: Third Way attempt as Pate.

Had a conservative start -- merced up and fought a war with Kilwa, took only their capital provine (a gold mine), developed up and sat tight for a while before expanding further in an opportunistic fashion. After grabbing all the gold mines in southern Africa my cash flow is stupid (inflation, well, what can you do).

Took Exploration ideas and then Religious. Have been focusing colonization efforts on African clay in order to get to the good bits before the Europeans, now starting to go into the Indian ocean and beyond, for the trade. Am now dominating the entire east coast from the Horn down to the Cape (the drat Spanish managed to sneak a colony in Natal though). Have conquered Benin, got a foothold on the Arabian peninsula, and just recently vassalized Najd.

Ottos strong, Timmy strong, Mamluks dead man walking. Congo turned Christian and is allied to France AND Spain at the moment. (But of course I don't need to take down any Christian countries here, the whole thing is about showing all the other Muslims how they've been doing it wrong.)

I am only two years away from being able to reform into a horde. That should be fun. In addition to the normal horde advantages, razing everything should also help with subsequent religious conversion.

Think the rational strategy from this point is to focus on the smaller of the remaining West and Northeast African tags, enforcing religion on Najd and helping them expand all around Arabia, and also expanding into Indonesia. Then northern Africa, northern India and the Steppes. Ottos looking like an end-boss. Am a little bit worried about nasty big strong European colonizers making trade companies out of Muslim clay (they can take whatever they want as long as they convert it, but they won't in that case).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Remember that you will also have to convert the uncolonized-at-start provinces that are muslim in central africa.

Also good luck now that Expel Minorities is a thing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If I'm playing England, or any other naval power, how much of my navy should be heavies/galleys and how much should be lights. I'm assuming I should have enough transports to ferry a full combat width stack wherever I need to go but feel free to correct me on that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

If I'm playing England, or any other naval power, how much of my navy should be heavies/galleys and how much should be lights. I'm assuming I should have enough transports to ferry a full combat width stack wherever I need to go but feel free to correct me on that.

Light ships are not meant for combat. Galleys are good in inland seas for their costs but 1v1 they still die to heavies. The exception is maybe for countries that have lots of galley bonuses, but even then their galleys will die to heavies from a country with naval ideas or heavy ship bonuses. As England, you get no bonuses to galleys, so I'd recommend never building them. And if you end up capturing some, disband them. Their cost efficiency doesn't mean much when you're restrained by force limits more than income.

So the answer to this question is that you want to build light ships up until the diminishing returns become too much, and then you want as many heavies as you can afford. You may use some lights in combat in a pinch if you're still building up your heavy fleet, but otherwise your lights will be used for all non-combat tasks like trade, privateering, anti-piracy, exploration, and blockading. As England, don't be afraid to send just 15 or so heavies against the bigass AI fleets of like 40 lights and 40 cogs you sometimes see. The numbers may look overwhelming, but your heavies will chew through them.

As another country that wants to be a naval power, I'd say that the answer is still generally to rely on heavies as much as you can. Even in the Mediterranean. The Knights for instance may get a galley bonus in their NIs, but even with that +20% combat ability and the inland sea bonus, heavies still outclass galleys ship for ship. The knights is unique though because you can stack ship capture chance bonuses and end up never manually building ships past the first 30 years or so. In that case I'd use the galleys you capture as cannon fodder and still focus exclusively on heavies for your main combat fleets.

As for transports, it depends on what you want to do with them. If you're going into enemy territory where you expect to be immediately attacked upon landing, then yeah, you'll want more cogs. But if you think you have a couple months before the enemy can attack you, then you can capture a single province as a beachhead and then ferry the rest of your army across in time. (Make use of the "attach to transports" button that lets troops board transports while in port, then dock in the destination province to immediately disembark. This dramatically cuts down on transport time, allowing you to make multiple transport missions in a short period of time depending on the distance.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 8, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The majority of your naval force should be lights since having them out Protecting Trade is what generates naval tradition for your country. My gut instinct, though this is with a grain of salt as I don't generally invest into fleets as much as I should, is that your fight ships should either match or slightly surpass the countries you are usually fighting with, then fill out the rest with lights.

That said, naval ideas do play a stronger role than usual since there are less available modifiers and are concentrated in particular countries; Great Britain gets a hefty morale boost as well as heavy ship combat ability, for example. You will have to bump the quantity of your fight ships to match these bonuses. And admirals are HUGE deals so having high naval tradition at all times to generate good ones is key.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

yeah, pretty much you want enough heavies to guarantee supremacy over any likely naval rivals, enough transports to not hate yourself every time you need to move troops (which can mean enough for a single combat stack, or a few more depending on how colonial you are) with whatever forcelimit you have left in lights for trade power.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
Anyone got any tips for Delhi going for the achievement? My plan so far is to form Mughals. It'll be my first time trying a culture flip. So far I've figured out it's easier to let your vassal attack you than enforcing your dynasty because Jaunpur will support their independence and then they'll attack you anyway. I'm having a hard time dealing with Jaunpur afterwards though, Bengal always seems to get hosed up by Orissa and isn't much of a help. The only other allies I can get are Sindh and Mewar (or maybe Mewer or Malwa, I'm getting them mixed up in my head. It's the middle size one.) Assuming I figure out how to do that, I'd move in to Afghanistan and try to culture flip as soon as I can, and I expect it'll be fairly smooth sailing once I'm Mughals. I might even go for my first ever WC depending on how well it goes.

For the ship chat, you don't need to worry about naval forcelimit nearly as much as you do for land. It's fairly cheap to go over the limit and it's even cheaper considering that lights actively make you money. If you're going to war and plan on losing ships and conquering coastal provinces you'll make up the difference in the end.

PopetasticPerson fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 9, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I did a run of Tondo pirate republic some days ago and with their national ideas, naval ideas and a hilariously large amount of light ships privateering in Malacca my heavy ship fleet and admirals just stomped all over any western navy as I grabbed their islands around me whenever I wanted. Even Britain couldn't give me casualties. My main fleet ended up with the captured flagships of both France and Portugal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

yeah, pretty much you want enough heavies to guarantee supremacy over any likely naval rivals, enough transports to not hate yourself every time you need to move troops (which can mean enough for a single combat stack, or a few more depending on how colonial you are) with whatever forcelimit you have left in lights for trade power.

Yeah this is the right answer, as is having a lot of light ships patrolling for tradition. Admiral maneouvre is super important, as it allows you to widen your combat width basically. Building way over force limit can also be fine, ships are pretty cheap ducat wise.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You will not come out ahead if you're going over force limit with light ships, unless it's just barely over limit. They will not earn back the extra costs in trade income.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No, the only reason to do it would be to farm tradition.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Are galleys worse than heavies in inland seas now that naval combat has been reworked? I remember before 1.30 galleys were better in inland seas, because of something to do with the combat line. Like, once they hit zero morale heavies would just sit in the line, taking up two combat width and taking hits without firing, and galleys were better in that context because they just have a width of one? And if you combine that with the 50%(?) combat bonuses galleys get in inland seas, galleys were preferable? It was something esoteric like that.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As another country that wants to be a naval power, I'd say that the answer is still generally to rely on heavies as much as you can. Even in the Mediterranean. The Knights for instance may get a galley bonus in their NIs, but even with that +20% combat ability and the inland sea bonus, heavies still outclass galleys ship for ship.

Isn't the comparison 3 galleys to one though since that's the combat width?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

yikes! posted:

Isn't the comparison 3 galleys to one though since that's the combat width?

With the ship disengagement system, that is less of an issue. Galleys will sink faster while damaged heavies rotate out. And while going a little over naval force limit is somewhat forgiving, you can't go dramatically over limit, so that's still a big limiting factor.