Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So some of my colonial subjects, I’ve seized pretty much all of the americas, have rebelled.

If I negotiate with the war leader (Spanish Louisiana) it says “White Peace ... will remain subjects to Spain”.

If I negotiate with individual countries it doesn’t say that last bit - does that mean they will gain independence under a white peace or not?

Need answer fast.

(Also I’m surprised at how few people have some of the achievements, I guess it’s because most don’t play iron man.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
The default peace in an independence war includes that the status quo continues. The subjects have to win independence, not the other way around.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Sri.Theo posted:

(Also I’m surprised at how few people have some of the achievements, I guess it’s because most don’t play iron man.)

Ironman or bust. Except when your 6/5/6 heir dies in a hunting accident and EU4 mysteriously crashes.

Node fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 21, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s also not just Ironman, it’s that lots of people play with achievement breaking cheat mods like “blue Prussia” and “historical monarch titles”

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's funny to me that you can change a country's flag and even their name but not their map color if you want to be ironman

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is Prussia basically better than Brandenburg in every way? Currently in a Brandenburg game and if I can ever get Königsberg away from Denmark (my ally, lol) I’m fairly close to being able to form Prussia.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is Prussia basically better than Brandenburg in every way?

Yes.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Prussia is absurdly good. The only negative is the 50% Governing capacity (which is multiplicative and seems to go in last, so it is pretty serious) as its only real drawback

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Prussia is absurdly good. The only negative is the 50% Governing capacity (which is multiplicative and seems to go in last, so it is pretty serious) as its only real drawback

It is additive with other % modifiers on your cap, so you get 75% governing capacity if you get Administrative ideas. That alone is enough to make Admin a top priority for every Prussia campaign.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It is additive with other % modifiers on your cap, so you get 75% governing capacity if you get Administrative ideas. That alone is enough to make Admin a top priority for every Prussia campaign.

What are other good ideas? I’ve had bad monarch points problems early on (just entered age of reformation-1510? Ish) from having mediocre rulers and a possibly ill-advised early bankruptcy after a way too long early war that probably wasn’t worth it. Spent tons of mil suppressing rebels since I had no manpower, admin coring and stab, and diplo on who knows what, but I’m pretty behind on adm/dip tech. I’ve kept up on Mil tech and took quantity as a first idea group due to persistent manpower problems. It (and not being at war literally all the time) have mostly fixed my manpower problems. I read somewhere defensive is maybe better than quantity? But whatever, this worked and worked fast.

I’m about to unlock my 2nd group-is administrative best to take now, or wait until I am Prussia? Or I read good things about innovative too? I’m allied to Austria and Denmark, though the Denmark alliance is mostly temporary to keep him from eating me-I need his stuff eventually.

I am always poor. I can keep my army at force limit and make .5 ducats/mo if I have maintenance raised, but I’ve mostly been leaving it low to try and afford some buildings and ships.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah basically never raise maintenance not fighting (drilling is good but consider it a bonus for when you're richer.)

Admin is a good choice bc admin and dip tech can fall behind without really hurting you. Trade and econ have really good policies combined with quantity, and also, would help your income situation. Econ more so than trade since I can't imagine your trade game is strong as early Brandenburg.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

quantity is good, i usually find it more useful than defensive. other good ideas are humanist or religious (probably religious for brandenburg into prussia), diplo, trade, quality, offensive. anything that's not boat ideas really. or espionage but people will @ you if say espionage still isn't good

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What are other good ideas? I’ve had bad monarch points problems early on (just entered age of reformation-1510? Ish) from having mediocre rulers and a possibly ill-advised early bankruptcy after a way too long early war that probably wasn’t worth it. Spent tons of mil suppressing rebels since I had no manpower, admin coring and stab, and diplo on who knows what, but I’m pretty behind on adm/dip tech. I’ve kept up on Mil tech and took quantity as a first idea group due to persistent manpower problems. It (and not being at war literally all the time) have mostly fixed my manpower problems. I read somewhere defensive is maybe better than quantity? But whatever, this worked and worked fast.

I’m about to unlock my 2nd group-is administrative best to take now, or wait until I am Prussia? Or I read good things about innovative too? I’m allied to Austria and Denmark, though the Denmark alliance is mostly temporary to keep him from eating me-I need his stuff eventually.

I am always poor. I can keep my army at force limit and make .5 ducats/mo if I have maintenance raised, but I’ve mostly been leaving it low to try and afford some buildings and ships.

You mean as Brandenburg/Prussia? My first choice would probably be quantity to avoid manpower problems, though I'm not sure what the 'meta' first military idea choice is these days (Defensive is pretty strong nowadays). Then I'd go admin second for sure. Don't wait on that. The coring cost and tech cost reductions are clutch, and if you're running out of manpower the merc cost modifiers will be nice too. After that it's entirely situational. I'm probably doing Defensive after that but there are other options. Humanism is good for avoiding revolts entirely, but putting down revolts should be trivial as Brandenburg with quantity. Diplomatic is my preferred dip idea since the diplomats and improve relations bonus helps keep you out of coalitions.

To be brutally honest it sounds like you've kind of run the country into the ground in a way that I'm not sure your idea choice would've mattered. What did you do to get that much debt and unrest? Did you end up in a bunch of coalition wars or something? You have to be very careful about how you expand in the HRE. Don't take wide swathes of HRE land. As Brandenburg, it's better to focus east and north. Take out Poland and Denmark while occasionally picking off HRE minors, making sure to balance your AE so you don't end up against a mega coalition. Vassalize lubeck and force them to transfer all of their trade power to you. Bully other trade republics like Bremen into giving you trade power too (make it a peace term every time you end up at war with them). You shouldn't have huge money issues after doing this.

Use the prestige you get from warfare to disinherit your heirs until you find a good one. Try to keep your PP above 50 too and you should have enough monarch points to roughly keep up in tech and ideas, though you may fall behind in admin if you're especially aggressive, even with the CCR and tech cost reduction in administrative ideas. Falling behind a little on admin and dip is okay. Try to never fall behind on mil, though. Spending mil on suppressing revolts is a very bad idea unless you literally have no other choice. Even then, I would sooner lose a province or two than fall behind on mil tech.

This is all the general advice I have for now. I'm positive there's obvious stuff I'm missing but I'm also hungry and need to start cooking dinner.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

remember when you could break open the national bank of lubeck every few years for insane ducats

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for all the good advice. I sort of badly mishandled my first war to conquer anhalt. Wound up fighting Saxony (with thurningia), Anhalt, and Brunswick and made some dumb mistakes that led to me mercing up pretty heavily and going 800 ducats in debt in like 1450 for TOTAL VICTORY when I should have probably taken a smaller, easier peace much earlier. I couldn't see a way out of being 800 in debt on an income of like 12 ducats/yr or whatever, so I went bankrupt and forgot, uh, how bad that can be. That sparked a peasants war and blah blah blah. I think I'm coming out of it okay now-I jumped on poland when Denmark and the ottomans were beating them up and managed to sneak in and siege warsaw and got Neumark and a pile of money/prestige, and I've been slowly gobbling up my neighbors-Lubeck is next. A coalition did form against me, but I managed to make everyone my friends again and thankfully avoided that war. I did move my home trade node to Lubeck and am collecting there and in Saxony (I know that's not ideal, but it is making more money than transferring from saxony for whatever reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just remember that vassalizing lubeck is much superior to annexing them. That will give you far more trade power in the lubeck node than owning that province ever will.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Innovative is a really good first idea group imo. It's a giant pile of monarch points savings and if you pick it up at the start of the game you save a huge amount overall. I always pick it unless I'm rushing for land via colonisation at the start of the game.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Innovative is a really good first idea group imo. It's a giant pile of monarch points savings and if you pick it up at the start of the game you save a huge amount overall. I always pick it unless I'm rushing for land via colonisation at the start of the game.

It's amazing for any large nation, as that +1 free leader and institution spread bonus radically cuts the cost of everything. The real kicker is that 25% adviser discount though, which pushes it into the great for everyone category.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Aethernet posted:

It's amazing for any large nation, as that +1 free leader and institution spread bonus radically cuts the cost of everything. The real kicker is that 25% adviser discount though, which pushes it into the great for everyone category.

If you have the innovativeness DLC (rule brittannia or something ?), that mechanic is actually another big gain from taking innovative ideas. Every 10 points is a 1% reduction on all power costs, and you get a lot of events that give it if you take innovative. You can already be sitting at like 50/100 innovativeness (so a 5% discount on every single monarch power cost in game) by the 1550s or so. I dunno if I have ever gotten it to 100/100 but I think I've gotten it to 80/100 in late game before.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Red Bones posted:

If you have the innovativeness DLC (rule brittannia or something ?), that mechanic is actually another big gain from taking innovative ideas. Every 10 points is a 1% reduction on all power costs, and you get a lot of events that give it if you take innovative. You can already be sitting at like 50/100 innovativeness (so a 5% discount on every single monarch power cost in game) by the 1550s or so. I dunno if I have ever gotten it to 100/100 but I think I've gotten it to 80/100 in late game before.

100/100 by 1600 is easily doable and you can hit it earlier if you contort your entire strategy around it, which is usually not worth it unless you're doing some gimmick that involves not expanding.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Spent tons of mil suppressing rebels since I had no manpower,

Yeah.... don't do this unless they rebels are going to actually break you if you don't. Just throw some mercs at them or something.

Every 250 Mil you spend on rebels could have been another 2 years worth of manpower

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Or if you’re rushing to max absolutism.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Firebatgyro posted:

Yeah.... don't do this unless they rebels are going to actually break you if you don't. Just throw some mercs at them or something.

Every 250 Mil you spend on rebels could have been another 2 years worth of manpower

Oh oops, this explains my manpower trouble that stopped my war march halfway up Japan.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

New DD about North America native mechanics and changes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-22th-of-september.1426255/

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat, looks pretty cool. I hope they added a few trade centers too.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Red Bones posted:

i don't know why i never thought about innovativeness being tied to, uh, innovative ideas. i thought it was basically impossible to get it high enough to matter.

are there any other corners of the mechanics that make innovativeness actually be a meaningful bonus other than the idea set?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Being Anglican gives you a multiplier to all innovativeness gain, and Great Britain and Netherlands both get a lot of events that add it. Apart from that there’s nothing specific you can do apart from trying to be ahead of time in tech, getting ideas before anyone else, etc

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doing good as Ethiopia so far. At any point the Mamluks are going to rival and declare war and end everything. But before that happens things are doing good. :toot:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

Doing good as Ethiopia so far. At any point the Mamluks are going to rival and declare war and end everything. But before that happens things are doing good. :toot:
I had no idea you could flip Jewish, that is awesome.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sadly it’s a pretty flavourless religion

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I had no idea you could flip Jewish, that is awesome.
Dembiya and Semien start Jewish, so you can do it, but then you're robbing yourself of being Coptic.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sadly it’s a pretty flavourless religion
That's pretty unsurprising. I don't think there are any other Jewish provinces on the map, after all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It does make Deze Vault quite tempting however. To balance it out heretic tolerance gets 100% worthless.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

yall hre members know a country by the name of deze?

deze?

yeah, DEZE VAULT

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Firebatgyro posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Is there some click I'm missing that turns mil points into manpower? I know about the professionalism->Manpower button.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Is there some click I'm missing that turns mil points into manpower? I know about the professionalism->Manpower button.

And recruiting a general costs 50 sword mana and gives 1% of professionalism.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Generals. Every general you get gives you 1 professionalism for 50 (or however much) mil. if you have loads of mil power and no manpower you can just hire a bunch of generals, spend the professionalism on manpower, and fire the excess. It’s kind of inefficient/situational but better than getting reamed because you can’t reinforce.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ooooh, dang I forgot about the professionalism from generals. That makes alot of sense, thanks!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can also lower military development in a province for manpower but I've no idea how the ratios compare.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Poil posted:

You can also lower military development in a province for manpower but I've no idea how the ratios compare.

Probably far worse if you have any reasonable number of provinces. Might be a viable option if you have only 2 highly developed provinces or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Otherwise useful for special situations where you need a certain % of manpower right now.