Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Flip to Orthodox, ally Muscovy, and attack Poland

Then become Ruthenia. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

1) wait for the patch 2) release and play as zaporozhie "the republic that can raze" ohhh yeah

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a lot of starts which, on paper, should be fun, and yet I never touch them, and you couldn't pay me to play them, especially in more recent patches. Lithuania is one of those. Anyone in the Balkans. Central Asia in general. Most Indian starts too.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
but why

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

trapped mouse posted:

:emptyquote:

for real though the Ottomans do not have a great shade of green in the base game

I feel like Paradox has a rule in the office that major muslim powers must be green or brown, across all games

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

TMMadman posted:

Man, it really feels like a Byzantium game comes down to Byzantium vs Spain because a bunch of the land you need to take in Southern Italy, Sicily, the Western Isles, possibly Tunis, and obviously Hispania almost always end up in the hands of Castille/Spain.

And it's kind of hard to make the jump to grab them early before the PU/integration happens because then you'd be spending precious admin points coring that stuff up when you need to be using it on the ottoman/balkan lands that are you're more immediate concern.

Yeah, I'm making good progress in my Byz game but Spain are very annoying/scary - constantly defender of the faith, ate half of France, allied with the people I don't want them to ally to. Their navy is huge and they PU'd Portugal early I think so every time we get into a brawl endless ministacks of colonial troops randomly appear in the worst places.

I did manage to get a PU on Russia at the end of my last session, so the grand Orthodox alliance will beat the snot out of them soon :hist101:

And yeah r.e. Ottoman chat, they've been insane in my recent ironman games (except this Byz one obviously). I had an Austria run I almost abandoned in the mid 1650s as they were just too strong but after an alt-f4 when they declared another war I found a backup save, managed to get Russia onboard in the previous war that devastated me, and managed to win hard enough to break off enough of them to severely neuter them. That was a fun time!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Larry Parrish posted:

There's a lot of starts which, on paper, should be fun, and yet I never touch them, and you couldn't pay me to play them, especially in more recent patches. Lithuania is one of those. Anyone in the Balkans. Central Asia in general. Most Indian starts too.

All the Balkans starts are kind of dicey just on account of being directly in the path of the ottomans. I have tried Serbia a couple of times and it's more annoying than Byzantium because the community has the Byz start down to a well documented science that all happens within the first 30 min of a playthrough.

I can have a very successful hour as Serbia and then the ottos come trundling up and ruin it, and it feels like success is based both on the rng of how the ottoman game is going an hour in, and the rng of your alliances and conquests went right at the start.

I did figure out you can do an orthodox Italy run very easily by flipping Albania to orthodox and then declaring on and conquering naples the month it gets independence from aragon. Then you just sell your balkans cores to the ottomans to cover your war debt and its like a regular Italy run but with a cooler royal family and prettier churches.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah, anything in the path of Ottomans, Mamluks, Timurids, etc is not fun. At least in other places you can usually get allies or the protection of the emprah. I've tried Hormuz, Oman and similar a few times and it's always the same. Rock solid Timurids from the north, Mamluks blobbing from the west and everyone nearby allies them.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
Honestly, the best strategy against the Ottomans for the surrounding minors, is to bite the bullet and take them on as soon as possible, preferably once they've started one of their other early wars. Odds are they will only get stronger without player intervention and they'll be blobbing faster than you as a minor every could. Might as well smother them in the crib and if it doesn't work out, you'll only have to restart maybe a half hour in instead of several hours, if you keep putting it off, otherwise .

The first few wars against Ottos as Moldavia were some of the most stressful wars I've ever had to do, but it worked out in the end. I really want to do a Karaman to Rum game but it sounds like a real nightmare without the Bosporus strait advantage.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The early Ottomans are more fragile than they appear, and their economy tends to fall into cascading bankruptcies if you get them in a long-term war. Jumping into the inevitable war with Venice usually does it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
If you wait until France or the Ottomans or whoever unlocks some of their good NIs and fills Quantity ideas you're going to have a miserable time trying to grind them down.

The Ottomans in particular are vulnerable to getting wrecked repeatedly by Poland-Lithuania and the Mamluks if you hurt them early on.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Weyd posted:

The first few wars against Ottos as Moldavia were some of the most stressful wars I've ever had to do, but it worked out in the end. I really want to do a Karaman to Rum game but it sounds like a real nightmare without the Bosporus strait advantage.

I fled to North Africa like a coward and came back hundreds of years later for that achievement.

Fritz the Horse posted:

The Ottomans in particular are vulnerable to getting wrecked repeatedly by Poland-Lithuania and the Mamluks if you hurt them early on.

If your vassals play nice as the Mamluks, the Ottomans don't stand a chance in the early game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I've decided to behave as a man, not a boy, and fought Muscowy as Lithuania. It was surprisingly easy to get White Peace and it didn't feel cheap. They've sieged Novgorod for ages (defensive edict helps a lot) while I've beaten their vassals trying to snatch border provinces. Then they've decided to spread their forces and siege something else, I came there with my Brandenburg ally and won. Then I've beaten them at Novgorod. They still had a lot of manpower while I started the war with 0 so I've waited for something to happen and went for White Peace. Only used a single loan. Here's how it all looks for me right now. I've reinitiated an alliance with traitorous Poles and I'm thinking about getting the last of Livonian land.

Thoughts about starting as Lithuania:

- Yeah, Muscowy is rolling but it's not as scary as I thought, even without Poland backing you.

- The tolerance is strong. You start with traditions for heretic tolerance. On day 1 you can get Burgher tolerance edict which makes you tolerate heretics so much they can't handle it. I got a papal event for bonus missionary power so I'm still making Belarus properly Catholic.

- I think starting with a huge but underdeveloped country puts emphasis on Estate monopolies. They give you a lot of money for monopoly on trade goods and I don't think it depends on development. My economy is bad but Estates pay me from time to time.

- Cossacks are less impactful than I thought. I can hire special troops with bonus shock value, I guess. Also bonus cavalry combat ability. Maybe it will be impactful when I have Lithuanian Hussars idea (+20% cavalry combat ability) but for now I'm not going to afford a lot of cavalry anyway.

- Lithuania gets a lot of peaceful development missions. If you do them Kiev (or Kievas if you made a mistake of enabling localized province names) gets +1 building slot and -25% cost for buildings forever. You also develop Slutsk Sashes which may sound as a joke but is really a pride of modern Belarus, this makes Slutsk much more productive.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

cossack estate used to be really strong but with the rework its pretty weaksauce now, sad!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-leviathan-development-diary-3rd-of-march-2021.1460059/

I really don’t see the point in this new button, there’s already a way to reduce gov cap for less reform progress

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Expand administration cost rises with each click, so you should probably start using this new button at some point.

It still sounds boring cause a question of which button should you press is an equation easy to solve. It'd be more interesting if this centralization would be province-based and stayed in place after conquest by someone else but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm. If you've spent enough to raise your total cap it might be worth 100 points to reduce it by 20 in one state. Is that 20 a flat value? How does it work with things like courthouses? Is the 20 spread out among the provinces (probably not)? Is it applied directly into the cap, like -20 for each centralized state?

Improving canals trade modifier is good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The cossack privilege that gives you army tradition is good. As Serbia my tradition passively trends up to like 75% when forts are up

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

quote:

This action reduces the administrative cost of a state by as much as the value of 20 development points

This is one of those things that sounds...okay at first but the more I think about it the more it's either going to be a "use only once you've completely finished all reforms anyways and are just hitting buttons to hit them" or a "weirdo 1 state super tall build that no one really tends to actually play"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Since capital provinces don’t contribute to your gov cap its actually completely useless to a hypothetical 1 super state player

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The cossack privilege that gives you army tradition is good. As Serbia my tradition passively trends up to like 75% when forts are up

Yeah this is the key advantage of the Cossack estate.

E: the +1 general shock that comes with it also rules, and the -15% Steppe dev cost isn't terrible either.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 2, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, you usually end up pushing the Expand Administration button a lot during a campaign. And aince the new button affects the base GC cost, it may be better than expanding administration in countries that have provincial governing cost modifiers. Which is basically just merchant republics and pirate republics, I guess.

The biggest issue is that you will almost always have negative modifiers on governing cost in your provinces, making that button even more ineffective. -20 base governing cost in a province with -50% will reduce its actual GC burden by 10 only. By the time you get Town Halls, that button will become next to worthless. In a state with town halls and a state house, you're only saving 6 governing capacity. And if that state house is on one of its enhancing resources, then you're only saving 2 whole governing cost. It's not uncommon in the late game to have most of your biggest states all have state houses and town halls. And you probably don't want to push the centralization button in the early game when expand administration is more worthwhile and you still have reforms to unlock.

I dunno, maybe you'll find a few spots in your empire that have more than 20 dev but no GC reducing buildings (a few 5-dev provinces that aren't worth investing in?), but at that point I'd rather just un-state those. And in a tall campaign, your handful of states are gonna have every useful building so there's little point to centralization. It's a confusing feature. Maybe if it guaranteed -20 GC every time it would be more useful.

It IS pretty good for pirate republics, though. This button would reduce the GC in pirate republics by 35 by default. This could make them more viable in the late game, though you're still obviously not going to be going on any world conquests with pirates.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 2, 2021

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I did Stern des Südens. Muchen has a fun mission tree, I ended up with PUs over Austria, Palatinate, and Brandonberg. I also stole a PU of Bohemia for my own vassal swarm. I'm fast forwarding now to see what this Illuminati thing is all about but I need to be revolutionary for it.

I present Long Bremen

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 3, 2021

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/896160/Evil_Bank_Manager/

The shapes of the provinces from this shovel ware sure look like they forked an early version of EU4 to make this game.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
All these mega PU posts are getting me interested in a Christianity game again.

lamentable dustman posted:

I did Stern des Südens. Muchen has a fun mission tree, I ended up with PUs over Austria, Palatinate, and Brandonberg. I also stole a PU of Bohemia for my own vassal swarm. I'm fast forwarding now to see what this Illuminati thing is all about but I need to be revolutionary for it.

I present Long Bremen

Truly terrible, well done :captainpop:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:kstare:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Dreissi posted:

All these mega PU posts are getting me interested in a Christianity game again.

The mission tree had subjugation CBs in it for TB, Austria, and Brandenburg though I got the Austria one before I made it that far down the tree. I happened to notice the emperor was a 2 year old and a relative was queen regent so I claimed throne, broke the alliance, built a fort system and went for it when the truce ran out.

You also get small subjugation CBs for the other minors almost immediately at the start of the game and an event to instantly integrate them and form Muchen.

This was probably my second favorite HRE game behind my Mulhouse achievement run.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I present Long Bremen

As a fellow Stern des Sudens haver, I appreciate the Been snake.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

This was probably my second favorite HRE game behind my Mulhouse achievement run.

I only dared the Austrian one when it was stupid easy. How are you supposed to gain any traction with your imperial authority now?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Since they're expanding Sikhism in the upcoming patch, they should totally have a "Sikh Mann of Europe" achievement.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sadly there’s already a “Sikh Pun” achievement

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I know, the best achievements are the ones based on horrible puns like that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sikh Pun is just to be Punjab as a Sikh, they can do for another.

I'm baffled that this game is like 8 years old and the AI still doesn't upgrade its forts.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They do if they aren't debt spiralling.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lovely land, annoying neighbors with a bad habit of alliance chaining, and a bad global position so youre kind of stuck in that region

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sage Grimm posted:

They do if they aren't debt spiralling.

Which wraps right back around to how the AI still can't stop from throwing itself into a forever debt spiral just to try and win a war for a mediocre ally half a continent away.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
India games own

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm excited for the Sikh buffs because they were my favorite long ago when they were one of the few religions with unique events and they were good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

India games own
Yes, India is a fun region. You're far enough away from the antifun places and there are enough evenly-ish strength powers around. Oh and unlike, for example, the silk road you actually get a lot of trade income (even if it's mostly concentrated in the western parts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm baffled that this game is like 8 years old and the AI still doesn't upgrade its forts.

Please no.

The current state of the game is infinitely better than when the AI would build lvl8 forts on every island.