Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

His point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Eh, this is another thing where some kind of limited war system would help. France historically opposed the imperial side but in game the “Protestant league” is inevitably some combo of France, Russia, Ottomans, and Poland, and all of them go all in with hundreds of thousands of troops and need to be full occupied which is definitely not “historic.”

Like in my Serbia game there were like three germans in the Protestant camp, the “league war” was basically a giant weird crusade against the ottos, which was good for me but thematically very lame

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

THE BAR posted:

His point still stands.

Not really. The objection is the Catholic defender of the faith being able to join the protestant league, that it's France in this particular case is immaterial to that. The Defender of the Faith title is pretty much entirely a gameplay conceit, not actual history (yes, the title existed, but it had essentially nothing in common with how it works in game).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Even in ingame terms, it still looks like a case of France defending Catholicism against itself.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Going for True Heir of Timur (need all of India by 1550). Am I too delayed? I thought it was going well, but I got delayed by a 10 year regency and only just formed Mughals.

Mewat (4 provinces) is my only vassal. Still allied with my original allies of Mamluks, Uzbek, Khorasan, Fars, and Sistan.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 6, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
You should get papal authority for force converting countries.

Also I didn’t understand how the second last reform works so now I need to reconquer like half the HRE.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Finished my Kongo game and got African Power :)

Three hellwars versus GigaOttomans because they would not stop allying my next North African targets

I’d like to try for an achievement run that’s maybe a little more tall-friendly, any suggestions?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Switzerlake is fun

I guess 99 provinces isn't exactly "tall" but it does dictate your expansion a little bit instead of just blobbing.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Spaghetti Western is pretty fun and you could absolutely make a tall texas

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Going for True Heir of Timur (need all of India by 1550). Am I too delayed? I thought it was going well, but I got delayed by a 10 year regency and only just formed Mughals.

Mewat (4 provinces) is my only vassal. Still allied with my original allies of Mamluks, Uzbek, Khorasan, Fars, and Sistan.

It's honestly gonna be tight. If you do a few truce breaks you should be okay, but you need to gun it on ADM.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Spaghetti Western is pretty fun and you could absolutely make a tall texas

Unrelatedly, I think Texas should have access to prussian monarchy. If you're gonna make the meme tag, go hard on it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I got delayed by a 10 year regency and only just formed Mughals.

When playing as a Muslim nation, those 10 year regencies may not actually last 10 years. If your primary religion is Islam then you have a chance to get an event to replace the regency with an adult uncle, at the cost of legitimacy and prestige.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Unrelatedly, I think Texas should have access to prussian monarchy. If you're gonna make the meme tag, go hard on it.

Stratocratic Republic is right there.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Just came across this in one of the Facebook groups.

Looks like it will be a long war.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Haha that's terrible and I love it. Even the pun.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Poil posted:

Haha that's terrible and I love it. especially the pun.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So I'm Lithuania dreaming of creating the unholy union of Uncommonwealth. I've finally used the Restoration of Union CB on Poland. Done, the war is won. And now to create PLC I need Poland to have 32 provinces (or cities as tooltip says). They have 38. I didn't know for sure but expected unions to allow for province grabbing, just like vassals. But it doesn't seem to be allowed. I don't see a way to reduce my junior partner in union. I can always lose some wars but it's so gamey I don't want to think about.

Are there any ways to reduce my union vassal? Or should I just wait for 50 years and eat it the usual way?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

So I'm Lithuania dreaming of creating the unholy union of Uncommonwealth. I've finally used the Restoration of Union CB on Poland. Done, the war is won. And now to create PLC I need Poland to have 32 provinces (or cities as tooltip says). They have 38. I didn't know for sure but expected unions to allow for province grabbing, just like vassals. But it doesn't seem to be allowed. I don't see a way to reduce my junior partner in union. I can always lose some wars but it's so gamey I don't want to think about.

Are there any ways to reduce my union vassal? Or should I just wait for 50 years and eat it the usual way?

I think you'll have to wait them out unless you want to lose some wars.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

In my current prussia game, Perm broke away from muscovy somehow, so russia never set upthe siberian colonisation.

I also somehow ended up with a PU over Hungary and i have no idea how. Its nice to have a big junior partner though

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Here's my current Lithuania game.

It looks like a reliable rule: if you hamper Muscovy early on it can't beat Eastern hordes. Then even if they colonize Siberia it will be too late.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I’ve got the second last reform but HRE members can still ally other nations- then if I declare war against those nations they join against me and are no longer vassals?

That sucks- especially as you can’t enforce “join the empire” against secondary participants.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Don't smack the button early and instead just let AE bleed off and make sure your rep is maxed first. Shouldn't have many, if any, decide to leave then.

E: Misread. They shouldn't be able to ally anyone as they're vassals ???

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Don't smack the button early and instead just let AE bleed off and make sure your rep is maxed first. Shouldn't have many, if any, decide to leave then.

I’ll take some screenshots but I definitely just lost Switzerland because they were allied to Ragusa :argh:

Is it maybe because they keep their previous alliances? Lots of them are allied to each other as well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ilitarist posted:

Here's my current Lithuania game.

It looks like a reliable rule: if you hamper Muscovy early on it can't beat Eastern hordes. Then even if they colonize Siberia it will be too late.

Muscovy doesn't get the Siberian Frontier idea, so it's really unlikely that they go colonizing unless they form Russia

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What do you do if you’re at very high on Aggressive Expansion already but find out your rich neighbour has become friendless and alone and is just ripe for the plucking?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What do you do if you’re at very high on Aggressive Expansion already but find out your rich neighbour has become friendless and alone and is just ripe for the plucking?

Attack them and sit on their occupied stuff for as long as possible (don’t take the wargoal)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rynoto posted:

Nah I think you had it right the first time, OP probably didn’t realise that any electors who don’t support the reform at the time it’s passed won’t become vassals and didn’t notice until they went to war

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

praise god that i have truces with all but no more than three of my potential coalitionists

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

I'd probably just take over the neighbor and then hope the AE isn't that bad or that any potential coalition isn't that big.

But then again I also just sat for like 15 or 20 years working to get myself out from under a giant coalition.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just had a TO to Prussia game get bricked because I forgot to leave the Protestant League before trying to vassalize Brandenburg (so I would be more likely to become emperor after we won). We had beefy ottomans so it was basically a free win, but the dumbass AI declared while half the league wouldn't accept and it was 10:1. I mean I could probably live through it but what's the point of playing Prussia if you're not going to do the meme where you become Emperor as Germany? Doesn't help that Brandenburg had been emperor for ages but lost it to Austria once they got flipped by rebels, so they went from weak to insanely strong with all that emperor manpower. Also loving Russia kept calling me into wars so I had no manpower despite almost 1k a month regen.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 8, 2021

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

Find as many nearby allies as you can and hope that the eventual coalition will accept their lands in the peace screen. Hopefully those allies are big enough to have enough land to give away and that they also don't betray you when the time comes for the defensive war.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

yikes! posted:

Attack them and sit on their occupied stuff for as long as possible (don’t take the wargoal)

Yah. Just occupy everything, loot every province completely, then finally peace out for max cash + war reps + transfer trade. Maybe get them to release a minor tag or two, which you might diplovassalize.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Another trick that might still work: occupy most of their poo poo, but leave one fortress. Demand a peace where they give you that fortress. They will deny it, but that tanks their stability.

Done right, you can ruin their economy, leave them with max war exhaustion AND -3 stability. And no revanchism. Then kill them some more after the truce is over.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

No.. just sit on it until your AE ticks down and take the land

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Groke posted:

Another trick that might still work: occupy most of their poo poo, but leave one fortress. Demand a peace where they give you that fortress. They will deny it, but that tanks their stability.

Done right, you can ruin their economy, leave them with max war exhaustion AND -3 stability. And no revanchism. Then kill them some more after the truce is over.

don’t think the ai gets stab hits unfortunately, but it resets the war exhaustion call for peace ticker

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow remind me to never ally goons

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

Wow remind me to never ally goons

Excuse me, but I am extremely faithful to my allies. I still have Albania as a march in my Byzantium game in the early 1700s, despite the fact that I could get a national decision if I was to return them to being a vassal and then annexed them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

allies are for giving your enemies forts to siege while you do the work

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My main use for them is that they’ll send their stacks to halfway across the world to meet the enemy AI stacks doing the same, while I focus on actually sieging down the tag I want to fight.

Like in my current Serbia game, millions of poles and turks have died uselessly in the Caucasus during the fifteen sieges of Constantinople

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oddium posted:

allies are for giving your enemies forts to siege while you do the work

I use vassals for this, and then forget when I annex them and now I have no ablative NPC armor