Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I started my first Austria game and took one look at all the "alt f4 if X happens" and said forget it.

Half the fun as Austria is figuring out what to do when your events don't fire. The one time I got both early PU's and the inheritance the game was so easy by 1600 that I lost interest and didn't even finish that campaign. Nothing can even come close to standing up to a 1600ish vassal swarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's a slideshow

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is there a reason the AI never manages to get beyond the first reichs reform in the HRE? Around halfway through my Spain game, considering trying Austria for fun, but that ones always puzzles me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Is there a reason the AI never manages to get beyond the first reichs reform in the HRE? Around halfway through my Spain game, considering trying Austria for fun, but that ones always puzzles me

The AI generally is not smart enough to keep gaining imperial authority in the 16th century and beyond unless it gets really lucky. A combination of not enough princes, too many heretics, and foreign powers stealing imperial land will doom the emperor to negative authority growth for most of the game. The player as Austria can avoid this fate by aggressively forcing northern Italy back into the empire and securing a really strong position with personal unions and constantly force converting heretic princes and splitting off OPMs from other nations as they are conquered, supplementing the IA growth this allows for by conquering territory from Ottos, France etc and adding it to the empire. But the AI Austria will rarely get strong enough to do these things more than sporadically: it is particularly bad at shutting down the reformation.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I've got 2200 hours in this game and I've seen the HRE unify a total of three times. The AI tries to do it, it just isn't any good at it. It can't handle the depleting number of members as they get annexed, nor can it handle the reformation.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Historical accuracy. :v:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The worst god drat ally.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

The worst god drat ally.
Just pull them into a piddly easy war then declare war on the countries that they are guaranteeing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Just pull them into a piddly easy war then declare war on the countries that they are guaranteeing.

Though unless it’s changed they can ally with them once you declare peace and roll on in.

So keep both Wars going until you can end both.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though unless it’s changed they can ally with them once you declare peace and roll on in.

You need something like 26% warscore, allies will refuse to accept a CtA into a war where the current war participants are losing too badly.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The AI won't join a defensive war if the side it would join has lower than -25% war score, so you can just end the "distract France" war as soon as you have enough padding that you won't fall below that.

I know there's a time limit for offensive calls, but I'm not sure if there is one for defensive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Detheros posted:

The worst god drat ally.

The AI will guarantee the neighbors of countries they consider threats in an effort to power balance. Even their allies. "We want you to have our back but we don't want you to grow too powerful or else you'll eat us too."

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Always face-tank guarantors.

Any recommendations for total conversions or gameplay mods? MEIOU and Taxes was a bit... submenu-y for my tastes. Don't mind a bit of that, but good lord those events and missions.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The AI will guarantee the neighbors of countries they consider threats in an effort to power balance. Even their allies. "We want you to have our back but we don't want you to grow too powerful or else you'll eat us too."

Yeah definitely seems like the game working as intended from my limited experience. The same thing happened in America in my Scandinavia game: English Louisiana and Vinland both allied with the Iroquois. A century later England was dying a horrible death and let their alliance lapse and the more recently founded New Norway ate them and the English colony.

But this was after the save-scum. Norway (me) and England had been allies since the beginning of the game, and we divvied up America pretty evenly. I hadn't been doing any diplomacy with the native nations and they took advantage of that by attacking Vinland. There was no way I could beat them, so I re-loaded and allied the Iroquois and as a result the new world was extremely peaceful. And in the process I learned a new thing to watch out for when colonizing.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

The worst god drat ally.

:fuckoff:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Double posting because :hellyeah:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Such a pleasant red color. And it's nice to see a Hungary that not only exists but have also blobbed out instead of just endless Bohemia as usual.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Entirety of france occupied, 66% warscore.

This is what we were talking about previously.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Man the recent AI changes have made a huge difference, feels like every time I start a new game I have a huge angry jerks alliance of virtually all my neighbours that I didn't manage to pull into my own alliance. gently caress off and fight amongst yourselves, assholes :mad:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Presumably France has unoccupied allies in the war. You probably shouldn't be able to get 100% warscore peaces just by occupying the country you declared on without having to deal with their allies (especially when you consider smaller countries. they'd be hosed)

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Any recommendations for total conversions or gameplay mods? MEIOU and Taxes was a bit... submenu-y for my tastes. Don't mind a bit of that, but good lord those events and missions.

I use Plus Ultra these days when I'm feeling moddy - uses a more detailed and accurate map, more events and flavour, balancing stuff, etc. Nothing too crazy and it's fun to play around with!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

Man the recent AI changes have made a huge difference, feels like every time I start a new game I have a huge angry jerks alliance of virtually all my neighbours that I didn't manage to pull into my own alliance. gently caress off and fight amongst yourselves, assholes :mad:
In some ways, I think the huge angry jerk alliance might have actually been a good thing in my most recent Inca game. Sure, you had the unholy alliance of England, Portugal and Spain trying to subjugate me, but at least that meant that Spain/England had to take turns declaring war and were declaring wars at inopportune times for the other, rather than just tag-teaming me into oblivion.

Actually, speaking of that game, am I supposed to be able to free colonial nations by allying them and waiting for their overlord to declare on me? :v: Because that's what my very first war against Europeans resulted in, in that Inca game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

Double posting because :hellyeah:

drat, that is impressive, and you never even took Avlonaya from the Ottomans? Or more land nearby, you just somehow vaulted over to Italy?

How do you even get started as Albania these days? I guess yo ustart off guaranteed by Venice so if you can ally someone else big like Hungary, you stand a chance if you get wardec'd. I'm guess dont ally someone small like by Byzantines because that wouldnt pull in Venice to protect you.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

drat, that is impressive, and you never even took Avlonaya from the Ottomans? Or more land nearby, you just somehow vaulted over to Italy?

How do you even get started as Albania these days? I guess yo ustart off guaranteed by Venice so if you can ally someone else big like Hungary, you stand a chance if you get wardec'd. I'm guess dont ally someone small like by Byzantines because that wouldnt pull in Venice to protect you.

First Venice attacked Bosnia+Serbia, so I was able to attack Serbia and take Kosovo and some other provinces and even grab a humiliation. Then I allied Hungary, stomped on Venice with their help, took Istria (and Venezia), moved my capitol to there(Istria), and joined the HRE. This will usually flag Austria's attitude as Friendly or Protective so you're able to grab an alliance with them so they can help out with Italy (After Shadow Kingdom), and this is also usually enough to detract The Ottomans from attacking me. Then I went to town on Italy and moved my capitol to Rome after converting it to Protestant, sometime around 1640 I left the HRE because I wanted the diplomat and the states from being an Empire over a Duchy.

As for the core I used it as a CB since I needed my other 3 diplomats for calming outraged countries due to the AE thunderdome in Europe.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Presumably France has unoccupied allies in the war. You probably shouldn't be able to get 100% warscore peaces just by occupying the country you declared on without having to deal with their allies (especially when you consider smaller countries. they'd be hosed)

France has a billion colonies and Kongo as an Ally, even with Kongo out I'd need to occupy some of the colonies for 100%

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Well, once their war enthusiasm is down to low, you should be able to get a 100 war score peace without ever getting to 100 war score.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

v̢̹̼̖̳o͈͘ḽ̬t̥̟a̯̭̘̙̞ͅi͔͙̯r͟e'͎͈͓͇s͚͢ ̟͟n̴̠i͡g̙̘̫̙̜͡h͇͖͚͎t̫̞̝m̲̫͙͟a͖̖͔͉̩͎̰r̥̞͚̦͇̝e̝

did you know: there's apparently a limit to the number of client states you can create. or maybe number of tags that can exist i don't know what's stopping me from going hogwild actually but this is all i could pop out

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

v̢̹̼̖̳o͈͘ḽ̬t̥̟a̯̭̘̙̞ͅi͔͙̯r͟e'͎͈͓͇s͚͢ ̟͟n̴̠i͡g̙̘̫̙̜͡h͇͖͚͎t̫̞̝m̲̫͙͟a͖̖͔͉̩͎̰r̥̞͚̦͇̝e̝

did you know: there's apparently a limit to the number of client states you can create. or maybe number of tags that can exist i don't know what's stopping me from going hogwild actually but this is all i could pop out
:stonklol:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Client states get a tag of K00, K01, K02 etc so yeah EU4 literally isn't programmed to be able to handle more than 100 of them.
(There are also specifically programmed limits before that for Colonial nations, trading cities, custom nations (all 75) and cossack disaster nations (50))

So eastern tech group could pump things up all the way to 215, I guess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there any downside to not assigning seats in a constitutional republic? I can't find anything negative anywhere and it means I have to bribe a lot less to win debates as well as not utterly tanking my absolution. The game does auto assign one randomly every x years so eventually there will be enough I guess. But I do wish there was a randomly assign button for it because it would feel better to actually have all assigned and I can't be bothered to hunt around for the optimal provinces, that aren't already owned by an estate.

edit
Why the gently caress does Russia have 70 more forcelimit over me despite having 700 development less??? And no they do not have quantity ideas only offensive. :hurr:

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 26, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's perpetual. an eternal chain of suitors knocking on the royal doors. a hydra of proposals

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

it's perpetual. an eternal chain of suitors knocking on the royal doors. a hydra of proposals

I'm disappointed that you left your Legitimacy count juuuuust off of the screen. That would tank you down to nothing hahaha

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Poil posted:

Is there any downside to not assigning seats in a constitutional republic? I can't find anything negative anywhere and it means I have to bribe a lot less to win debates as well as not utterly tanking my absolution. The game does auto assign one randomly every x years so eventually there will be enough I guess. But I do wish there was a randomly assign button for it because it would feel better to actually have all assigned and I can't be bothered to hunt around for the optimal provinces, that aren't already owned by an estate.

edit
Why the gently caress does Russia have 70 more forcelimit over me despite having 700 development less??? And no they do not have quantity ideas only offensive. :hurr:

Russia gets a national idea that gives +50% force limit.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

oddium posted:

Austrian royal family 200 strong and growing, widest royal family tree in Europe

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

deathbagel posted:

Russia gets a national idea that gives +50% force limit.

Of course they do. And they get super special snowflake troops that are just plain better with no drawbacks. And they get all of Siberia for free. :rant:
(I am glad it's not sIberia anymore but gently caress those hairyasshats with all their bullshit powers for no reason)

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Austrian royal family 200 strong and growing, widest royal family tree in Europe
If your family tree isn't shaped like a trunk it's not properly royal.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
France, you're drunk. Go home.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MrBling posted:

France, you're drunk. Go home.

Speaking of drunks in the New World, as the Inca, the first European army to arrive in the Andes was, somehow, an Ottoman one. Though in this case they did go home, and that was the last I ever saw of the Ottomans.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Poil posted:

Of course they do. And they get super special snowflake troops that are just plain better with no drawbacks. And they get all of Siberia for free. :rant:
(I am glad it's not sIberia anymore but gently caress those hairyasshats with all their bullshit powers for no reason)

They have a lot of troops but their national ideas suuuuuck for fighting. They are way easier than any of the other great powers, especially since don't tend to spam lvl 8 forts everywhere like Ming or the Europeans.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
How do you guys deal with giving provinces to estates? It's a part of the game I don't really enjoy.

I tend to give them weak provinces so that they are just over the minimum, but as I expand I keep having to give more and more. Is it maybe better to increase the development in their provinces as a way of keeping them over the minimum? Or is that a waste of monarch points because you don't get the full benefits of development in their provinces?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

fuf posted:

How do you guys deal with giving provinces to estates? It's a part of the game I don't really enjoy.

I tend to give them weak provinces so that they are just over the minimum, but as I expand I keep having to give more and more. Is it maybe better to increase the development in their provinces as a way of keeping them over the minimum? Or is that a waste of monarch points because you don't get the full benefits of development in their provinces?

I used to do it like that too, but it's not the optimal way.

I think you should try to give as few provinces as possible, and each province should have most of its development in the relevant field (MIL for nobility, DIP for burghers, ADM for clergy) to maximize the tax/trade/manpower bonuses you get and minimize the maluses on the other stats. Of course centers of trade / natural estuaries are perfect for the burghers, but often you won't need to give them a minimum amount of land so do it only if you actually need the trade power / extra production money / burgher estate happiness bonuses.

So a 4/2/1 province would go to the clergy, a 1/1/3 to the nobility, a 2/5/2 to the burghers and so on; of course you shouldn't give them the very best provinces, but giving them the very worst provinces means you'll give them a LOT of land and if they get pissed off and start revolting, you'll have a tougher time.

Of course this applies only when you're big enough that giving away a 7+ dev province doesn't mean much to you; if that's not the case, stick with giving them random 1/1/1 provinces producing wool and call it a day. Anyways it will depend a lot on your state cap and what states you have, if you only have states with 1 good province and 4 lovely provinces, I'd give the bad ones to estates. Meanwhile, if all your provinces are roughly equal in development, I think it's better to give away 1 good one rather than 3 mid-range ones (I might be wrong here from a min-maxing perspective)

Never, ever give them gold provinces, and try to only give provinces with decent trade goods (3.5+ value) to the burghers if you really need to. Also if you develop estate provinces, only develop the relevant stat unless it's already capped (And at that point, I'd rather give them another province unless I'm flush with MP)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Every province with autonomy > 25% should be in an estate