Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«72 »
deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I started my first Austria game and took one look at all the "alt f4 if X happens" and said forget it.

Half the fun as Austria is figuring out what to do when your events don't fire. The one time I got both early PU's and the inheritance the game was so easy by 1600 that I lost interest and didn't even finish that campaign. Nothing can even come close to standing up to a 1600ish vassal swarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 20, 2006

it's a slideshow

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Is there a reason the AI never manages to get beyond the first reichs reform in the HRE? Around halfway through my Spain game, considering trying Austria for fun, but that ones always puzzles me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Is there a reason the AI never manages to get beyond the first reichs reform in the HRE? Around halfway through my Spain game, considering trying Austria for fun, but that ones always puzzles me

The AI generally is not smart enough to keep gaining imperial authority in the 16th century and beyond unless it gets really lucky. A combination of not enough princes, too many heretics, and foreign powers stealing imperial land will doom the emperor to negative authority growth for most of the game. The player as Austria can avoid this fate by aggressively forcing northern Italy back into the empire and securing a really strong position with personal unions and constantly force converting heretic princes and splitting off OPMs from other nations as they are conquered, supplementing the IA growth this allows for by conquering territory from Ottos, France etc and adding it to the empire. But the AI Austria will rarely get strong enough to do these things more than sporadically: it is particularly bad at shutting down the reformation.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER

Taco Defender

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I've got 2200 hours in this game and I've seen the HRE unify a total of three times. The AI tries to do it, it just isn't any good at it. It can't handle the depleting number of members as they get annexed, nor can it handle the reformation.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

Great!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Historical accuracy.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

Great!

The worst god drat ally.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

The worst god drat ally.
Just pull them into a piddly easy war then declare war on the countries that they are guaranteeing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Winner of the "Poor Games Poster" avatar.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Just pull them into a piddly easy war then declare war on the countries that they are guaranteeing.

Though unless itís changed they can ally with them once you declare peace and roll on in.

So keep both Wars going until you can end both.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though unless itís changed they can ally with them once you declare peace and roll on in.

You need something like 26% warscore, allies will refuse to accept a CtA into a war where the current war participants are losing too badly.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The AI won't join a defensive war if the side it would join has lower than -25% war score, so you can just end the "distract France" war as soon as you have enough padding that you won't fall below that.

I know there's a time limit for offensive calls, but I'm not sure if there is one for defensive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 16, 2004

Detheros posted:

The worst god drat ally.

The AI will guarantee the neighbors of countries they consider threats in an effort to power balance. Even their allies. "We want you to have our back but we don't want you to grow too powerful or else you'll eat us too."

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Grimey Drawer

Always face-tank guarantors.

Any recommendations for total conversions or gameplay mods? MEIOU and Taxes was a bit... submenu-y for my tastes. Don't mind a bit of that, but good lord those events and missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

You think this post is BUNNY?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The AI will guarantee the neighbors of countries they consider threats in an effort to power balance. Even their allies. "We want you to have our back but we don't want you to grow too powerful or else you'll eat us too."

Yeah definitely seems like the game working as intended from my limited experience. The same thing happened in America in my Scandinavia game: English Louisiana and Vinland both allied with the Iroquois. A century later England was dying a horrible death and let their alliance lapse and the more recently founded New Norway ate them and the English colony.

But this was after the save-scum. Norway (me) and England had been allies since the beginning of the game, and we divvied up America pretty evenly. I hadn't been doing any diplomacy with the native nations and they took advantage of that by attacking Vinland. There was no way I could beat them, so I re-loaded and allied the Iroquois and as a result the new world was extremely peaceful. And in the process I learned a new thing to watch out for when colonizing.

«72 »