Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Just bought some of the DLC on sale. Unsurprisingly, I accidentally bought a couple of content bits I already had (the Muslim advisor portraits and ships). Its a pain trying to double check through Steam against whats on the Paradox list (plus I'm stupid).

PM me if anyone wants them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

really queer Christmas posted:

Holy poo poo the dlcs are finally at 75% off :eyepop:

Shame I already bought everything :saddowns:

Except RB and Mare Nostrum and they're both not even worth having at 75% off

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Now's a good chance to grab up anything you're lacking and are interested in. Paradox used to run 75% off sales on their DLC on a regular basis, but haven't done so in more than a year. It may be another year before the DLC is this cheap again.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's been like 2 or more years at this point, hasn't it? I feel like it's been more than a year since it's even been more than 50% off.

Also, the next expansion's release date was announced--September 6th.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Just bought some of the DLC on sale. Unsurprisingly, I accidentally bought a couple of content bits I already had (the Muslim advisor portraits and ships). Its a pain trying to double check through Steam against whats on the Paradox list (plus I'm stupid).

PM me if anyone wants them.

Yeah I have that same problem. Plus there's all these packs on steam that bundle random things. I'm 90% sure I have everything except the Sabaton music. Which I might as well get so balance out that crazy Swede pack. MI FATER MI BROTER OHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
The new south Asian advisor portraits in this weeks dev diary look amazing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That spymaster has a pro mustache

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Loans are generally good for wars, where the return on the investment often easily pays for the loan itself. Being able to completely trash an early game competitor, grabbing land, or even looting and war reparations is def worth some interest.

I doubt even the most excellent placed manufactories is worth a loan though. Maybe if you really loving need a fort somewhere ASAP?

Also, all this talk about peace-money being nerfed kind of disregards how much you can gain from looting during the war. I guess Norway is too poor to make it worthwhile, but Scania is probably worth quite a bit of cash.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Zetetica posted:

I like that they're bundling all the music/advisors/units now. Makes the 7 bucks more palatable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Good post av combo I think

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the territory nerf exactly

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's this

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-24th-of-july-2018.1111835/

quote:

Expansion:

An issue in EU4 that we've long recognised is that conquest is almost always a good idea: you are able to immediately get a financial benefit from land, buff up your own forcelimit, size, trading potential, while at the same time denying your foes that land. We've been wanting to change this so that one has to consider what they conquer with a bit more forethought and with that we turn to your States.

Your maximum number of States is now far more important: If you hold more territories than your state limit, you will face a yearly corruption penalty, currently +0.02 per territory (not per province). For example, if you have a State Limit of 15, you can have up to 15 States AND up to 15 Territories without penalty. Overseas Colonial Regions and Trade Charter Companies are exempt from this calculation. This corruption hit is halved in Easy mode, and entirely absent in Very Easy. Additionally sending Missionaries and cultural conversion are not possible in Territories. You must make them a state to do these.

In conjunction with this, all nations' base state limit has been doubled (up from 5 to 10).

There is a define ALLOWED_TERRITORY_VS_MAX_STATES which allows you to tweak this value in defines.lua

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Zetetica posted:

Nice, we have a date. September 6.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

I doubt even the most excellent placed manufactories is worth a loan though. Maybe if you really loving need a fort somewhere ASAP?

From some googling it seems like, the best placed, once you've advanced in production efficiency some, if you've got some interest reduction, would probably be slightly more profit than the interest.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

From some googling it seems like, the best placed, once you've advanced in production efficiency some, if you've got some interest reduction, would probably be slightly more profit than the interest.

I was going to do a quick from memory post, but :effort:

The Wiki has a surprisingly in-depth take on this.
Wiki

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So I am playing as the Incas trying to do the Sun god achievement and I just conquered a big part of Mexixo, do I need to do the trick that I move my capital to Panama to avoid forming a colonial nation?

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 17, 2018

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

You should be fine, having your capital in the new world stops colonial nations forming there.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
As long as it can path to your capital you should be fine I think, If you take a big chunk in northern America far away without getting a path there it will create a colonial nation. If you do not want a colonial nation in Caribbean you need to have your capital in North America though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If you have a gold bearing colonial nation downstream of you, do you just get the money directly or not at all?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If you have a gold bearing colonial nation downstream of you, do you just get the money directly or not at all?
Trade ships are one way only. So not at all.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Might be outdated info, but I think Treasure Fleets only move downstream otherwise the Colonial Nation will keep them the gold for themselves.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Just gently caress You: the wanting to colonise the Americas from Asia story.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Groogy posted:

As long as it can path to your capital you should be fine I think, If you take a big chunk in northern America far away without getting a path there it will create a colonial nation. If you do not want a colonial nation in Caribbean you need to have your capital in North America though.

Uh, if your capital is in North/South America you cannot form Colonial nations. You can test this by building 5 colonies over to Australia as one of the Native American nations. Even though it fulfills all the other requirements, they will remain under your direct control.

You can, however, still fight through Colonialism casus belli by not having a direct path to your capital in the opposite continent; if you are situated in NA but don't have provincial control through Panama into SA (or vice versa) then it is considered overseas. Thus you can pick fights via adjacent colonizer provinces to your own colonies.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 17, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

Just gently caress You: the wanting to colonise the Americas from Asia story.

Trade flows from the Americas to Asia through Japan, doesn't it?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

AnoHito posted:

It does but I never got a treasure fleet to show up as Cebu and taking most of Alaska and California colonial territories (dominating trade flow).

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

It does but I never got a treasure fleet to show up as Cebu and taking most of Alaska and California colonial territories (dominating trade flow).

Weird, I've gotten them as Japan perfectly fine.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It might be that I didn't have full control all the way down to my trade capital from Japan->Canton->Philippines. It wasn't worth tinkering with at the time. :shrug:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Some of it, yes, but you can't get most new world trade to go to Asia, also there's extremely little flexibility compared to what you can do if you're in Europe.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Who are some youtubers who are good at fighting wars / battles? I still feel like I spend the whole time chasing after armies. There must be some better ways to trap them or predict where they're gonna go.

I wish the AI was a bit more committed to defending its homeland. It's annoying when you successfully siege all their provinces and then their army shows up on the other side of the world to siege one of your random colonies.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

fuf posted:

Who are some youtubers who are good at fighting wars / battles? I still feel like I spend the whole time chasing after armies. There must be some better ways to trap them or predict where they're gonna go.

I wish the AI was a bit more committed to defending its homeland. It's annoying when you successfully siege all their provinces and then their army shows up on the other side of the world to siege one of your random colonies.

As Byzantium I went to war with my ally Russia against the Mamluks. Spent most of the war wondering where the Mamluk armies were, because they mounted very little resistance. Eventually I zoomed out and discovered they'd marched to the east coast of Russia and spent the whole war sieging Russia's worthless eastern provinces.

The Mamluks did not win that war.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

fuf posted:

idk about youtubers, but it sounds like you either need more forts or more pausing. Not sure how much you're using those already, but sticking forts in chokepoints (ideally on defensible terrain) helps a lot with preventing the AI from running around your interior and limits their movement options, giving you a lot more opportunities to catch them. They're expensive but so is having your heartlands occupied and paying an army upkeep to chase the enemy around for months. You can disable fort maintenance during peace to save a buck. If I can afford it I have a line along every border and a few on internal chokepoints. As for actually catching armies, one trick if you're having trouble with them cancelling move orders to evade you is to watch the enemy army's movement closely on a slow speed and pause when they get halfway to the next province. At this point their movement gets locked in and you'll see a little padlock icon. Send your army to attack then and they won't be able to cancel the move and go somewhere else.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 18, 2018

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

fuf posted:

Watch some DDRjake campaigns if you want to learn how to fight and win wars from a massive disadvantage and without taking any loans.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Communist Walrus posted:

As Byzantium I went to war with my ally Russia against the Mamluks. Spent most of the war wondering where the Mamluk armies were, because they mounted very little resistance. Eventually I zoomed out and discovered they'd marched to the east coast of Russia and spent the whole war sieging Russia's worthless eastern provinces.

The Mamluks did not win that war.

I have never had the AI do something like this.

Not saying it doesn’t happen but why can’t I get the dumbass AI.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

fuf posted:

Second watching DDRJake. His Lucky Lucca campaign was fun and informative, if you're looking for somewhere to start. He rolled for penalties/bonuses (but almost always penalties) periodically so he would wind up fighting wars with outdated units and other massive disadvantages.

Florrywhorry might be good too but I find him too obnoxious to watch.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

idk about youtubers, but it sounds like you either need more forts or more pausing. Not sure how much you're using those already, but sticking forts in chokepoints (ideally on defensible terrain) helps a lot with preventing the AI from running around your interior and limits their movement options, giving you a lot more opportunities to catch them. They're expensive but so is having your heartlands occupied and paying an army upkeep to chase the enemy around for months. You can disable fort maintenance during peace to save a buck. If I can afford it I have a line along every border and a few on internal chokepoints. As for actually catching armies, one trick if you're having trouble with them cancelling move orders to evade you is to watch the enemy army's movement closely on a slow speed and pause when they get halfway to the next province. At this point their movement gets locked in and you'll see a little padlock icon. Send your army to attack then and they won't be able to cancel the move and go somewhere else.

Agreed with this post 100%: Forts along your border, and then during actual war repeated pausing on slow speed until that padlock appears on the enemy unit.

I will say I prefer to keep my forts up at all times in order to keep army tradition up. So I don’t usually keep forts inland because of the added cost.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The DDRJake advice is good and I learned a ton from the Lucky Lucca campaign. But if I had to point to a single video that upped my game as far as wars and made me realize how much I was leaving on the table when I fought, it was his 40 years campaign against the Ottomans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyet9l4DspU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks for the tips and DDRJake recommendation. So with the forts, do you destroy the inland ones as you expand? Even on low maintenance seems like it could get expensive very fast.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

doingitwrong posted:

The DDRJake advice is good and I learned a ton from the Lucky Lucca campaign. But if I had to point to a single video that upped my game as far as wars and made me realize how much I was leaving on the table when I fought, it was his 40 years campaign against the Ottomans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyet9l4DspU
Is this the one where he gets nearly entirely occupied and triggers revolt events on himself so the rebels take the land back from the Ottomans, he ends up at like -2 stability, and all of his allies get peaced out but he still wins in the end? (I'm asking because I dont have two hours to sit and watch the whole thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

fuf posted:

So with the forts, do you destroy the inland ones as you expand? Even on low maintenance seems like it could get expensive very fast.

Mostly yeah. I'll only keep inland ones if they're in a really good chokepoint and only if I can afford it. Usually just border forts are enough, but having key chokepoints blocked can be helpful if the enemy breaks through the outer layer. It's really more of a luxury thing though, running good advisers and maintaining a strong army are more important than having the perfect network of forts.

Completely unrelated, Ottomans dead before 1600 with no player interference. I have no idea what happened. I haven't seen the Ottomans fail in a few games and I don't think I've ever seen them die so fast. All I know is I was playing Orissa and I saw Mamluk colonies popping up in Indonesia, so I took a look at Turkey to see what was going on. It was mostly unrevealed still but I could see Albania had Constantinople. Later when I noticed the map had opened up I took another look:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 19, 2018