Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I've been asking for provoke for what feels like years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Those are some mighty cooperative rebels

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is the strategy for playing as Austria largely the same as it was pre Emperor?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is "States General" Netherlands mechanics, but for anyone?

I remember hearing that their government form was really powerful back in the day - is that still the case?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I remember hearing that their government form was really powerful back in the day - is that still the case?

Yes it's the dutch mechanic. I don't know how good it is cuz I haven't used it much. Do note it will immediately remove your current ruler so if they have good stats or there's PU potential, you might wanna hold off on clicking it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

It hasn’t changed. Good for getting lots of MP, sadly useless for dynastic shenanigans.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I like it. Though the ability to modify statist vs orangist power is pretty limited outside elections. You get an event once in a while, but without all the Netherlands mission rewards that give statist or orangist influence, it might be a bit boring.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thank you all! I'm still on this zany Pegu "Sailor Mon" run so I dont have to worry about dynastic shenanigans but I'll probably hold off on doing something outside my comfort zone since I'm in the middle of redlining my economy to keep a massive navy afloat and army fed while I desperately try to expand as fast as possible so I can eventually beat up Ming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

I've been asking for provoke for what feels like years

Same. I can't tell you how many in-game years I've wasted just waiting for rebels to spawn before declaring war. I've definitely made some bitter posts in this thread about it, asking for this exact feature. Thank you, any Paradox people who may have been listening.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cockblocktopus posted:

I haven't done a Jerusalem run in the current patch but I did one as Cyprus in the last stable patch and it was actually pretty easy; you just need to get the Ottomans to support your independence before the Mamluks annex you (after vassaling you by event), then you can get the Ottomans to back you in like two or three subsequent wars before they get pissed off at you and leave. Hopefully by then there's a strong enough Russia or Poland or Spain to ally you and encourage the Ottos to look elsewhere for expansion.

The bigger issue is that the Jerusalem area is pretty terrible land.

What do you mean, the entire holy land area stretching down to Egypt is insanely high development

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Eej posted:

What do you mean, the entire holy land area stretching down to Egypt is insanely high development

The problem is the people you snatched the land from are going to want it back, and their very menacing neighbor wants both their land and yours.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm doing a Hisn Kayfa run right now and it's been pretty easy staying allied forever to the Ottomans by just racking up the favours when they call me into a war. Even after I started gobbling up Mamluk territory! Cyprus to Jerusalem should be kind of similar.

E: oops forgot Cyprus is Christian that does change things

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is the strategy for playing as Austria largely the same as it was pre Emperor?

Yeah I have been playing an Austria game where I have just turned them all to vassals. I am gunning for Voltaires nightmare and am up to 80 countries so far!

You just want to beeline for the free PUs on Bohemia, Hungary and Naples so they can do most of the fighting for you, I think the one thing to be aware of is you want to have the IA at or near 0 before an incident starts so it doesnt go to waste if you shoot way over 50 due to being at war. Obviously this cant always be helped.

Oh yeah Diplomatic as first pick is a must.

Is anyone else seeing the great powers accrue insane amounts of debt? I have a dominant Ottomans in my Papacy game having 9k debt by 1550, Austria has 2k, France has 3k, Castille with Aragon in PU went bankrupt after I beat them in one war etc.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

IceG posted:

Is anyone else seeing the great powers accrue insane amounts of debt? I have a dominant Ottomans in my Papacy game having 9k debt by 1550, Austria has 2k, France has 3k, Castille with Aragon in PU went bankrupt after I beat them in one war etc.

ALL the time! Spain, Russia, France are big culprits of this, France sometimes depending how fast they win back their cores, Ottomans often. They make for extremely lovely allies because they'll not join your CTAs, but will call you on their lovely wars all the time and risk you losing prestige / diplo rep.

They seem to go into negative income for whatever reason (merc spam is my suspicion, seen they keep mercs up even at peace) and never recover/balance their budgets. Secondly - sending them a couple of k ducats doesn't seem to work either anymore; they spend some of it repaying debts but most of it goes to whatever it is they planned (buildings, army etc.). I'm quite sure in 2.9 if they had 4k debt and I sent them 4-5k they'd repay all debts instantly.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 2, 2020

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Eej posted:

I think the poster may have specifically meant the state of Palestine itself. It's 3 provinces totalling 30 dev, which while not terrible, is hardly what I'd call "insanely high development." I guess the fact that it's only 3 provinces is basically irrelevant now that there is no arbitrary state cap, but I can personally say I'm not champing at the bit to go annex 3 ~10 dev provinces one of which is Coastal loving Desert

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

canepazzo posted:

Secondly - sending them a couple of k ducats doesn't seem to work either anymore; they spend some of it repaying debts but most of it goes to whatever it is they planned (buildings, army etc.). I'm quite sure in 2.9 if they had 4k debt and I sent them 4-5k they'd repay all debts instantly.

Yeah I noticed this too. It used to be that if my ally was 9k in debt and I sent them 10k they'd almost always pay the debt down more or less immediately. Now I send them twice their debt and they'll maybe pay off half of it if I'm lucky.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Apparently what the AI is doing in some cases is favoring mercs over regular troops. So it'll be merced up to force limit for a war, then build regulars to replace them, then delete the regulars, then repeat, wasting money and manpower. Also they insist on drilling all the time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Can someone explain to me how using light ships to protect trade works because from what the game tells me there is no difference from me putting either 1 or 20 ships in a trade node in terms of my profit. For instance 1 ship will add 3.66 trade power and increase my trade value from 18.64 to 27.39. 17 ships on the other hand will add 54.97 trade power but only give me an additional .2 in trade value.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can someone explain to me how using light ships to protect trade works because from what the game tells me there is no difference from me putting either 1 or 20 ships in a trade node in terms of my profit. For instance 1 ship will add 3.66 trade power and increase my trade value from 18.64 to 27.39. 17 ships on the other hand will add 54.97 trade power but only give me an additional .2 in trade value.

Don't trust the trade ships screen because it doesn't display the correct amount and you'll just have to eyeball the numbers yourself. The best way to find out where to put your ships is just to move them around yourself and check your trade income from month to month.

edit: once you play the game for a while you just sort of get used to it and know where to put trade ships for profit, but when you're new-ish to the trade game you just have to find out yourself through experimentation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ithle01 posted:

Don't trust the trade ships screen because it doesn't display the correct amount and you'll just have to eyeball the numbers yourself. The best way to find out where to put your ships is just to move them around yourself and check your trade income from month to month.

edit: once you play the game for a while you just sort of get used to it and know where to put trade ships for profit, but when you're new-ish to the trade game you just have to find out yourself through experimentation.

I have 450 hours in this game and I don’t understand it lol

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have 450 hours in this game and I don’t understand it lol

I used to watch DDRJake, the guy who was a lead developer for like at least a year, stream games and he had absolutely no loving idea how trade worked either despite being very good at most other aspects of the game. I don't know why people have trouble with it, for some reason I picked it up pretty quickly, but I'm weird like that when it comes to numbers stuff. Anyway, don't trust the numbers the game spits out for trade expected values from trade ships. Only trust the numbers you get back from actual trade income. Generally, the greater the total trade in the node the less impact your ships have, but those nodes also usually have more income than nodes with less trade in them so you have to figure out on your own which is preferable for your ships. Somewhere like the South African coast or the Baltic Sea are a great place for trade ships, but this can be both good and bad. Sometimes the AI will change things when you move ships around so that's another reason not to trust the tool tips, but this usually doesn't happen.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The tooltip for assigning ships to trade value also takes into account the ship's upkeep, so diminishing returns hits it hard in smaller trade nodes. It's dumb as hell because you're paying that crew no matter where they are.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Also I feel I push a lot more than I need to when collecting is probably just more lucrative

Huge production value in India doesn’t help you much if most of the money gets siphoned off or pushed to other nodes for example

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't use light ships for trade protection. Use them as privateers instead. It gets you more money, it gets you power projection if it harms your rivals, and most importantly it means you don't have to think about trade node optimization. Literally just send them to the richest node in range.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jel Shaker posted:

Also I feel I push a lot more than I need to when collecting is probably just more lucrative

Huge production value in India doesn’t help you much if most of the money gets siphoned off or pushed to other nodes for example

Ideally you only want to collect in one node though - so the best situation is that your capital/trade center is furthest downstream, and all other nodes are steered into it. Collecting in multiple places removes the bonuses you get from steering trade around, which can be quite substantial.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As others have said, the tooltip is always wrong/gets outdated/is useless. What I do when figuring out how I want to apply my Light Ships in a new area is save the game, while paused send the trade ships on a mission to a nearby node that they will get to within the month, look at my Trade income in my income tooltip, wait a month for the light ships to get to the trade node, look at my trade income again, then wait one more month and check my trade income one more time. I then take note of how much my trade income went up, then load my save and send the light ships to a different trade node and go through that again to see if it affects my income better or worse.

Doing that helps give you that 'feel' for what your good options are in the future - once you see which trade node having light ships makes you more money, compare what is different between the two nodes (incoming trade, who has a capital there, who else has light ships, who has merchants collecting there, who has merchants forwarding trade there, ect). Knowing that will help give you that better feel for where to send them in the future.

Or,

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't use light ships for trade protection. Use them as privateers instead. It gets you more money, it gets you power projection if it harms your rivals, and most importantly it means you don't have to think about trade node optimization. Literally just send them to the richest node in range.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dirk the Average posted:

Ideally you only want to collect in one node though - so the best situation is that your capital/trade center is furthest downstream, and all other nodes are steered into it. Collecting in multiple places removes the bonuses you get from steering trade around, which can be quite substantial.

This gets overstated a lot I think. The bonus you get from only collecting in your home node is +10% Trade Power per working merchant in your home node. If your home node is fiercely competitive (often early in the game), that's an excellent bonus. If you have monopolized your home node, that bonus is essentially useless; trade power only matters in a relative sense. So if you have 100 trade power in a node, and that's already a >90% share, the marginal gain even from doubling that is super low in terms of ducats owned, particularly given that trade steering is often very lossy.

So if you have your home node locked up, there really isn't a penalty to collecting in multiple locations (aside from the more obvious -50% trade power efficiency applied to collection nodes that aren't your home node).

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

This gets overstated a lot I think. The bonus you get from only collecting in your home node is +10% Trade Power per working merchant in your home node. If your home node is fiercely competitive (often early in the game), that's an excellent bonus. If you have monopolized your home node, that bonus is essentially useless; trade power only matters in a relative sense. So if you have 100 trade power in a node, and that's already a >90% share, the marginal gain even from doubling that is super low in terms of ducats owned, particularly given that trade steering is often very lossy.

So if you have your home node locked up, there really isn't a penalty to collecting in multiple locations (aside from the more obvious -50% trade power efficiency applied to collection nodes that aren't your home node).

Right, but a lot of the time it's best to put your home node as your best downstream point and then pushing all of the trade you can into that specifically. In addition to the trade power bonus of 10% per merchant that directs toward your home node trade value itself also gets a boost every time it moves so 10 ducats leaving A will become 11 ducats when it arrives at B as long as there's a merchant directing the trade. Although I think this drops off if a node has literally no merchants from anyone in it.

edit: I generally only collect in multiple spots when I have a lovely starting node as my base collection point and I don't have another trade node to dominate or when I have an obscene amount of the map and can easily collect in two areas that don't connect to each other.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 2, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I used to collect in cape in addition to my home node, and it looks like that should still be a thing. There's also collecting in both genoa and venice if you're in italy ofc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

This is not true in a lot of cases, especially if your home node is the richest trade node in range. That said, it is oftentimes inconsequential enough that you may as well privateer your rivals anyway.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Once you make significant amounts of trade money, you can basically have enough light ships to do both and also shore up your main combat fleet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ithle01 posted:

Right, but a lot of the time it's best to put your home node as your best downstream point and then pushing all of the trade you can into that specifically. In addition to the trade power bonus of 10% per merchant that directs toward your home node trade value itself also gets a boost every time it moves so 10 ducats leaving A will become 11 ducats when it arrives at B as long as there's a merchant directing the trade. Although I think this drops off if a node has literally no merchants from anyone in it.

edit: I generally only collect in multiple spots when I have a lovely starting node as my base collection point and I don't have another trade node to dominate or when I have an obscene amount of the map and can easily collect in two areas that don't connect to each other.

That exists, but it caps out at something like a 13% boost per node jump when 5 merchants are steering in a particular direction. Who's merchants they are is immaterial. So pushing over long chains of nodes does build value, but you need to be losing less than 13% to other directions obviously. There are definitely times when that's true, but particularly for valuable nodes that see a lot of interest, it's far from a given.

For somebody who doesn't "get" trade in EU4, really the only penalty you need to be worrying about on multiple collection points is the -50% trade power penalty when collecting outside your home node. That's the reason you want to steer either to your home node, or to a node you have monopolized. Either one is fine.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's the easiest nation to do one-faith, these days? I hate myself, yes.

Is it Timurids/Mughals? I'm thinking Ottos can be left alone to do their thing, don't need a WC, just One Faith, and maybe just fight them at the end if they're not converting fast enough.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Is it Timurids/Mughals? I'm thinking Ottos can be left alone to do their thing, don't need a WC, just One Faith, and maybe just fight them at the end if they're not converting fast enough.

Sunni Horde is probably the easiest. Burning provinces makes them easier to convert and the Muslim trade route converting is really nice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

FYI Ottos are not really converting anything because of how the new Dhimmi estate works.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah you're not going to one faith without covering most or all of the world in your vassals, and make sure they are vassals that are coded to take Religious or they won't bother converting the vast majority of the time. The AI even without dhimmi doesn't prioritize converting. The ottos don't convert period.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You also can't with dhimmi in the first place, not that you'd have any reason too.

the true answer is the pope

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Me: "For my Castille game, I'm just going to let the Revolution sweep over my country."

EUIV:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What even governs Revolutionary spread? I got it as Russia, embraced it, and now the whole drat world is revolutionary.

My client states are Revolutionary Revolutionary Revolutionary Revolutionary <name> too for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

My client states are Revolutionary Revolutionary Revolutionary Revolutionary <name> too for some reason.

loving splitters