Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Thinking about that Third Way achievement. I.e. make all Muslim provinces be Ibadi.

Perhaps: start as Hormuz. Sunni state religion, but majority of provinces start out Ibadi, so conversion only requires any percentage chance of a zealot uprising. Then the Timurids almost certainly blow up and you can pick over the carcass (or just eat Baluchistan), and convert to a Persian culture. Then snake into northern India and be Ibadi Mughals. Profit?

Alternately and a bit exploity: is it still possible for å tribal nation to become a Mughal horde? If so, Baluchistan is tribal and in a decent position to flip Ibadi...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

third way requires you to start as ibadi, oman is probably the easiest

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Forming Arabia no longer removes Mamluk government. I got levant turnabout and then arabian coffee with them.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

oddium posted:

third way requires you to start as ibadi, oman is probably the easiest

Ah, well.

So that's Oman, Mzab or Pate, then?

Hm... Pate is tiny and weak, and near the rear end-end of the Dar-al-Islam. But is a tribe so can become a horde after a while. Think I might give that a try.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Groke posted:

Hm... Pate is tiny and weak, and near the rear end-end of the Dar-al-Islam. But is a tribe so can become a horde after a while. Think I might give that a try.

And there's the Zanzibar trade node, and a bunch of gold provinces not far away. Thinking that might be a fun run.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it possible to get the achievement for owning ten gold mines without having a new world capital? I'm not sure if there's ten gold mines in the whole old world.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it possible to get the achievement for owning ten gold mines without having a new world capital? I'm not sure if there's ten gold mines in the whole old world.

I did it as a Euro just by conquering the ones in Africa and maybe one in Asia

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are five goldmines all near each other in East Africa and a ton of nearby colonizable land that can pop gold, two in Mali, two in Ethiopia, one in: Morocco, Spain, Alps, Bohemia, Hungary, Kosovo, Russia (Kazan), Tarim Basin, Sumatra, and I am sure I am missing a few.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's like 11 in Africa alone, plus whatever spawns in colonies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh there's more in Africa than I thought. Could combine that with African Power or do a Butua run.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've gotten enough into this that i can do most of the basics, but i still feel like theres a lot i dont understand in how to play this well so i mostly play bigger countries like castile or muskovy. Are there any good tutorial vids for people who at least know some basics but dont know the intricacies.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've gotten enough into this that i can do most of the basics, but i still feel like theres a lot i dont understand in how to play this well so i mostly play bigger countries like castile or muskovy. Are there any good tutorial vids for people who at least know some basics but dont know the intricacies.

Try Reman's Paradox and Budgetmonk. Be aware that some of their older videos will be less relevant to the game as it currently stands.

A nice tip I got on Estates: at the very start of the game, take all three MP privileges straight away, and assuming you're on zero crownland afterwards in a couple of years you'll get an event that gives 30% crownland back in exchange for a privilege that prevents you seizing land while it's active and gives 25% minimum autonomy. That privilege can be revoked after 20 years, but that's 20 years of +1 MP in all categories.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Forming Arabia no longer removes Mamluk government. I got levant turnabout and then arabian coffee with them.

Wait, seriously?!

I may have to try this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aethernet posted:

A nice tip I got on Estates: at the very start of the game, take all three MP privileges straight away, and assuming you're on zero crownland afterwards in a couple of years you'll get an event that gives 30% crownland back in exchange for a privilege that prevents you seizing land while it's active and gives 25% minimum autonomy. That privilege can be revoked after 20 years, but that's 20 years of +1 MP in all categories.

:lol: that's so goofy. but yeah new estates are great. Still a bit mad they didn't add status indicators for the three interactions to the outliner though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Since the absolutism penalty means nothing early game I recommend maxing out your estate privileges early on.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

the biggest thing you can focus on early on to improve is mindfulness of your situation. be aware of your neighbors' army sizes/alliances and have scenarios where you're willing to attack them in your head (any equal strength or slightly biased in their favor war generally since the AI is dumb and you are smart, anytime you hit a tech breakpoint before the significant military players in their alliance, or any time they're fighting someone else). have claims ready to go so you can DOW at will, keep a warchest and an economy you aren't stressing to the bones that will allow you to hire mercenaries if you need them.

once you start a war, be decisive. don't be afraid to hire mercs when you need them; even if you need loans for them, you can get the money back by winning the war and beating your opponent. avoid needless siege attrition; your whole army doesn't need to stand on the fort unless there are active enemy forces you're worried about. destroying your enemies' alliances/economies in an initial war can be more important than taking land, especially if the land you would be taking is wrong culture/religion. one good victory that dissolves alliances, drains their manpower, and loots their economy will break most mid-sized nations.

unrelated, but i really hate this thread title (missed opportunity to be an ajam pun, doesn't actually conform to the rhythmic patterns of the space jam song at all). blanking on ideas for a new one rn personally, but there has to be something better in someone's mind, right?

creamcorn fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 5, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Since the absolutism penalty means nothing early game I recommend maxing out your estate privileges early on.
Hard agree on this.

Aethernet posted:

Try Reman's Paradox and Budgetmonk. Be aware that some of their older videos will be less relevant to the game as it currently stands.

Huh, I cant math it out right now but I'm guessing the extra MP is well worth the temporary autonomy hit and other penalties (tax income and I forget what else)?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

creamcorn posted:

the biggest thing you can focus on early on to improve is mindfulness of your situation. be aware of your neighbors' army sizes/alliances and have scenarios where you're willing to attack them in your head (any equal strength or slightly biased in their favor war generally since the AI is dumb and you are smart, anytime you hit a tech breakpoint before the significant military players in their alliance, or any time they're fighting someone else). have claims ready to go so you can DOW at will, keep a warchest and an economy you aren't stressing to the bones that will allow you to hire mercenaries if you need them.

once you start a war, be decisive. don't be afraid to hire mercs when you need them; even if you need loans for them, you can get the money back by winning the war and beating your opponent. avoid needless siege attrition; your whole army doesn't need to stand on the fort unless there are active enemy forces you're worried about. destroying your enemies' alliances/economies in an initial war can be more important than taking land, especially if the land you would be taking is wrong culture/religion. one good victory that dissolves alliances, drains their manpower, and loots their economy will break most mid-sized nations.

unrelated, but i really hate this thread title (missed opportunity to be an ajam pun, doesn't actually conform to the rhythmic patterns of the space jam song at all). blanking on ideas for a new one rn personally, but there has to be something better in someone's mind, right?

this title is from like two or three halloweens ago isn't it?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

creamcorn posted:

Small caveat to this: sometimes see that you don't break an enemy -too- hard. There's nothing worse than nuking a rival, demolishing his alliances, freeing a nation or two...and see another power gobble them up while you are waiting out the truce to delive the killing blow!

Doubly irritating when said power is an ally that sat out the first war becuase they were 4k in debt. I'm looking at you, Muscovy!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah you should absolutely do this. The monarch points ones are great, even if you spend a couple decades revoking enough land to hand them out, but it's definitely going to be faster to do it by that event. I also love the one that gives reduced general costs and +AT, and the monopoly ones; you lose a bit of cash relative to where you would be if you just collected it over time, but you gain so much estate loyalty that it's well worth doing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this title is from like two or three halloweens ago isn't it?
I think two, soon to be three.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah you should absolutely do this. The monarch points ones are great, even if you spend a couple decades revoking enough land to hand them out, but it's definitely going to be faster to do it by that event. I also love the one that gives reduced general costs and +AT, and the monopoly ones; you lose a bit of cash relative to where you would be if you just collected it over time, but you gain so much estate loyalty that it's well worth doing.
and building up Mercantilism is great, isnt it? I think its hilarious to conquer a new resource that you can grant a monopoly for and trade like 4 ducats for 1 mercantilism.

edit:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There are five goldmines all near each other in East Africa and a ton of nearby colonizable land that can pop gold, two in Mali, two in Ethiopia, one in: Morocco, Spain, Alps, Bohemia, Hungary, Kosovo, Russia (Kazan), Tarim Basin, Sumatra, and I am sure I am missing a few.
I checked and forgot the Mewar, China, two Japan, and a third near Mali.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 5, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

quote is not edit

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also before you release a vassal, check what resources their land has. Sometimes all your production of a resource will be in future vassal land and you can grant a monopoly and then release for no net loss at all

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

All true. The only downside is if you use that event and hand over a bunch of privileges, it might take a long time to reduce influence down to the point where you can revoke the event privilege. Not speaking from experience or anything...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hard agree on this.

Huh, I cant math it out right now but I'm guessing the extra MP is well worth the temporary autonomy hit and other penalties (tax income and I forget what else)?

Definitely. It's just the autonomy, no other penalties. If you're a small minor and your biggest/only province is your capital, then most/all of your dev won't even be affected since your capital can't get autonomy. It's just a really good thing to do at the start of almost every campaign. It's really not obvious since there's no way to know this option exists until you reach 0% crown land and see it trigger for yourself, which is a condition most people will try to avoid ever happening.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Definitely. It's just the autonomy, no other penalties. If you're a small minor and your biggest/only province is your capital, then most/all of your dev won't even be affected since your capital can't get autonomy. It's just a really good thing to do at the start of almost every campaign. It's really not obvious since there's no way to know this option exists until you reach 0% crown land and see it trigger for yourself, which is a condition most people will try to avoid ever happening.
I know when you start the game at ~29.9 Crown land you suffer a tax penalty.... I figured there were harsher penalties at 0% Crown Land. But.... yes, very good point. So if you're going to go hard and take all three MP Privileges and you'll get an event to get you back up to ~30 after a few years, should you Start game => Seize Land => Sell Land => Enact all three MP Privileges?

Also, does anyone know how you get a higher cap on level 3 CoTs? I'm this massive Persia and I have the money for it, but in my Pegu game I was capped at 5 Level III CoTs and I cannot find any info on what sets the cap.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also, does anyone know how you get a higher cap on level 3 CoTs? I'm this massive Persia and I have the money for it, but in my Pegu game I was capped at 5 Level III CoTs and I cannot find any info on what sets the cap.
I think the cap is your number of merchants.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I kinda wish it was just a pure sliding scale for crownland instead of 29.9% being massively worse than 30

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I kinda wish it was just a pure sliding scale for crownland instead of 29.9% being massively worse than 30

The intended design here is for there to be spots on the crown land spectrum where you can sell titles without penalty. This way it actually encourages players to use that sell titles button instead of refraining because it'd give them -5% taxes or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

I think the cap is your number of merchants.
Oh, fantastic, thats perfect. Fine Financials is mine! Thank you!

Also apparently the Revolution found its home in Teheran...

Its only 1718 I must be really bad or something

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Formed Arabia our of Mamluks and their systemis quite fun. It's so nice to not have to worry about heirs, and most rulers came with amazing stats.

The main roadblock has been claims. The mission tree is quite lacking in the swarm of perma-claims other countries get, and my spies are slow as molasses to build their networks, not to mention getting caught all the time.

I had to rush a war during the Holy League shotfest when all of my enemies were away punching each other, and because I had so few claims I had to deal with a big coalition afterward because if i had eaten only my claims, it would have barely been worth it. At least Defensive did a number of all those big stacks and beating them was not hard at all.

I'd take Espionage Ideas to make up for it, but with Imperialism so close, it feels kinda late.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Formed Arabia our of Mamluks and their systemis quite fun. It's so nice to not have to worry about heirs, and most rulers came with amazing stats.

The main roadblock has been claims. The mission tree is quite lacking in the swarm of perma-claims other countries get, and my spies are slow as molasses to build their networks, not to mention getting caught all the time.

I had to rush a war during the Holy League shotfest when all of my enemies were away punching each other, and because I had so few claims I had to deal with a big coalition afterward because if i had eaten only my claims, it would have barely been worth it. At least Defensive did a number of all those big stacks and beating them was not hard at all.

I'd take Espionage Ideas to make up for it, but with Imperialism so close, it feels kinda late.

Claims do not lessen your AE. Having more claims would not have helped you avoid a coalition.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm Revolutoniary Bavaria, the Protestant Defender of the Faith is Revolutionary Canada, I have more prestige; why can't I claim it away from them?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

canepazzo posted:

I'm Revolutoniary Bavaria, the Protestant Defender of the Faith is Revolutionary Canada, I have more prestige; why can't I claim it away from them?

Two years must pass after they claimed it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I started a game as Florence and I'm really struggling to see why I would want to change into the kingdom of Tuscany.

The republic government is much stronger and if I'm changing into anything it's going to be Italy later on when absolutism kicks in.

For right now though, the most prestigious in the world in 1545

Getting ready to eat the remains of Venice.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I wish you could transfer occupation whole states at a time. Same with granting provinces to vassals. Having to slowly find and dole out 30 some provinces, one at a time, gets old after every lategame war.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Pretty sure I kept my republican government when I did my Florence-Tuscany-Italy game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

THE BAR posted:

I wish you could transfer occupation whole states at a time. Same with granting provinces to vassals. Having to slowly find and dole out 30 some provinces, one at a time, gets old after every lategame war.

just being able to select a vassal and then clicking provinces on the map would help tons already. rather then the other way around

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Karanas posted:

Pretty sure I kept my republican government when I did my Florence-Tuscany-Italy game.

Yeah, you don't have to switch even as Italy, and with Court & Country you can still get 100 absolutism as a republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Oh, well I was just going by this. I guess it could be outdated.

Either way, I just need to take Rome and I can form Italy. Tuscany doesn't have any new missions as far as I can tell so there doesn't seem any reason to do it.