Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
Playing mid-game Ottomans and wondering if I should go after Spain now that I am bumping into Ming on the eastern front. Will Spain's colonies ship soldiers back to Europe? Or do they stay on their respective continent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
What's the best way to keep up diplo points whilst trying to annex a large PU and WC at the same time? 1640 HRE run with a PU over Spain and Commonwealth with a bunch of vassals along the Europe/Asia boundary to feed. I noticed I had a -80% chance to inherit Spain due to their size and wanted to make sure I had all of their African and American lands before Imperialism kicks in.

On a side note, it has been fun sitting on the Ottomans during the peace process to watch them blow-up with rebels and drain their manpower.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

keep power projection high, overspend on diplo advisers, use the promotion feature here to get the extra birds, and jettison the ballasts of pointless alliances you may have. you can exploit the estates for a pinch if you are worried about dropping too low

I may go ahead and cancel integration for now to finish filling out my influence idea noted above. I'll have to check when I get back, but I think Ming may be my only valid rival for power projection now and I haven't quite snaked over to him yet. Last I looked, it seemed like Ming was getting gobbled up by Bengal.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
What is the typical strategy for acquiring non-European HRE princes? I have seen a few screenshots with 200+ princes and while I am snaking my way through Otto territory I thought it would be nice to have someone to feed along the way. Up until Iraq/Syria I would core, convert, add to HRE, release one province, court, and vassalize. Now I just get the message saying must be on European continent to add province to HRE. At this point I have already revoked and not sure if I should have waited.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

AnoHito posted:

That's theoretically possible, but you'd have to somehow put Ming's capital in Europe. You are a prince of the HRE if your capital is HRE territory, and only provinces in Europe can be added to the HRE. I haven't watched the video, though, so maybe there's some bug to add provinces outside of Europe somehow, in which case I think the strategy is conquer the capital province, add that province to the empire, return that province, then conquer whatever the new province is so the country's capital moves back to the old (now HRE territory) province.

I did see someone with Syria, Persia, and a few other middle east countries as princes that seem to be beyond the HRE boundary. The above seems plausible and I'll give it a try on Persia as they are currently an OPM I was about to take out in my current game. Otherwise, the screenshot shows kind of what I am doing now with feeding a few eastern HRE vassals as I move towards India.

Just finished annexing Spain and have Portugal down to an OPM to steal the rest of their American colonies. So, depending on how quick I can chew through India/Ming in the next 130 years, I may be able to finish a WC.

mobius42 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 24, 2018

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
I started a new WC attempt as Ottomans and decided to try a new strategy with exploration as second idea. Just realized around 1630 that I could direct the colonial nations to attack neighbors and have been gobbling up Spanish/English colonies. Any chance this backfires on me from their respective overlords?

mobius42 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 2, 2018

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Cheen posted:

I won the Maine war as England by calling in Aragon and Burgundy and was able to enforce the Union! However, the war of the roses fired towards the end of the war when I had no manpower left and the rebels enforced their demands- this instantly dismantled the Union.

I had the same, but with Castile, Burgundy, and Savoy as they all would take land to join war. I only gave land to Castile as I planned on keeping them around for a later PU. I ended up taking out quite a few loans to pay for mercs to handle the war of roses.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hey, I haven't played an HRE country in a few expansions. Who's small and fun to start as to take down Austria? I'm looking at Lubeck and Hesse. I don't want to start as someone big like Bavaria.

I started messing around with a Lubeck run based on this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/852mp3/one_core_one_click_one_tag_1738_lubeck_onetag_wc/

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah they didn't attack before mid 1446, maybe I got lucky twice? You do have to RM with Albania as soon as possible though.

I was about to curse you as I tried half a dozen Byzantium strategies over the weekend and decided to try this again tonight, but Ottomans went after Candar a year into the game. However, Candar had quite a few allies and I was able to peace out with Edirne, Macedonia, and Thessaly. See how this goes for round 2, but I am not in debt like I was with other strategies.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

how the HECK do you win as Theodoro anyway

atwix is doing a Theodoro run on Twitch now and the older videos should be available. I know he started by switching to Sunni to gobble up everything to the south with limited AE, but when I checked in yesterday he was PU'ing Bohemia and assume he switched religions again.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Most importantly, don't go to war with anyone for the first ten years and keep your army at force limit.

I did the opposite with Delhi, but may be a different case as it doesn't involve the Shah scripted event. Once I had Sirhind non-rebellious, I did a continuous war with Indian minors until I could annex my vassals. Liberty desire went down during the war instead of going up like it did on previous tries, but does jump back up at the end of the war.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Family Values posted:

Mamluks are really strong and I don't know why the AI is so bad that AI Mamluks always get steamrolled by AI Ottos. All the other starting great powers occasionally have a bad game, but Ottos destroy Mamluks like clockwork in every game I've seen. Someone posted a screenshot a few pages back of the Ottos getting dirt napped and I still don't really believe it's possible.

First time I have seen it myself, but my current Mongolia game has a strong Mamluks at around 1570. They took all of the southern Anatolia minors and Ottos have expanded into Hungary. I imagine it is just a matter of time before they turn on the Mamluks. I ended up taking a break as I was attacked by Russia, Ming, and a coalition within a span of a few months. It looks like you only need three countries for a coalition now instead of four and guess I pushed too aggressively into India as I waited for Ming's mandate to tank.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
Florryworry's stream this week is him doing another Three Mountains run, but without loans, allies, mercs or shogun swarm on very hard. Will be interesting to watch. I've done it once, but it was easy mode if you go the shogun route and pull off the opening moves.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
I did Muscovy first when they attacked Novgorod and I had military tech 4 advantage. I only fought their troops on the steppes, but was pretty in debt from mercs by the end.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
Maybe a little late, but a nice QoL for HRE would be a filter or sorting option for province occupation transfer. Right now it seems loosely based on region, but PUs seem to be randomly sprinkled through the list. Filter based on surrounding vassals or vassals visible on screen would be awesome, but would settle for alphabetical listing.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Family Values posted:

Ideally ‘transfer occupation’ would be a thing the macro builder could do. Click on a war ally and then click provinces to transfer to them.

I like this much better than a sortable vassal list. When I am playing HRE or Shogun, I spend so much time transferring occupation to vassals with claims to avoid dip loss. Once I have imperialism or holy war CB, I just take everything from main target and transfer through the vassal screen after peace deal.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

oddium posted:

did the typical oman -> mughals Third Way, bumpy road at times but still doable with the more recent antiblob and mega money missionaries stuff

I am doing this now as well after finally finishing True Heir of Timur on about the twelfth attempt. Starting to worry about finishing though as it is 1712 and still need 700% war score on Ottomans. Napkin math says I can convert remaining Sunni land in about 35 years, so may start truce breaking Ottomans around 1740. France has a few Sunni trade companies and just started a war with them. Unfortunately they ate most of the HRE and are a bigger challenge than Ottomans.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, try to find sources of the Improve Relations modifier. Easiest is the diplomatic advisor who does it. Improve Relations affects how quickly relationship modifiers tick up or down each year, including AE. Having lots of it is great for aggressive players who want to lose AE quickly.

I also move a merchant into a trade area where I anticipate a lot of AE and set the policy to Improve Relations.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Who the what now?

In the trade node window you can change the policy to Establish Communities for 15% improved relations with all countries within the node. It defaults to maximizing trade power.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there any way to tell if the AI is annexing a vassal?

Right click on the overlord and there will be a red/blue vertical bar next to the vassal's flag indicating annexation progress. I believe it also shows up when clicking on any of the vassal's provinces.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Ignorant Hick posted:

Has anyone seen Poland take the PU over Lithuania this patch? From my own two games and streams I've watched they go local noble every time. Same with independence for Naples.

It has happened in 2 out of 3 games for me. In the past, it seemed the Jagiellion was more favored.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Dont see them there, just the normal three

Pretty sure they will only show up if you have marine force limit > 0. I know Naval ideas increases the marine force limit and sure there are other ways.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Personally I don't see how you could do it without trucebreaking. Once you've got enough of India it looks like it becomes more of a truce/coalition/trucebreak juggling thing since it's not like the local AIs can beat you.

I was almost able to complete it without truce breaking and feel like it is possible given the right conditions. Although I tried this one at least 5 or 6 times. Vijayanagara was quite large in my successful run and required two truce breaks to fully eat them in time. It may be apparent, but don't completely rely on the mission tree claims and fabricate at least one claim on all neighbors to DOW them if a coalition starts forming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006

PopetasticPerson posted:

I'm the Mughals and have a mission to get a state lower than 30% autonomy. I stated it and double cored it, but one of the provinces still has 90% autonomy. All the other provinces have low autonomy. Any idea why this is or what I can do about it?

If it is an even 90%, did it get accidentally added as a trade company?