Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Poil posted:

I can just make up those on my own. Or are there achievements for things like converting London to french culture?

There's an achievement for controlling Manga as Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eej posted:

If you're savescumming ironman for achievements why not just use Steam Achievement Manager and just unlock the achievements at that point

depends on the achievement. trying to get three mountains done without a little savescumming is a recipe for an ulcer

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Poil posted:

I really wish I could forge claims on behalf of my vassals. The lazy bastards (2-3 of them) have barely made any over many many decades in my current game. :argh:

Something I see Arumba do a lot, and in the 15 hours I've played this I haven't tried to replicate so I can't say where this happens, is set provinces as special interest which tells his vassals to make claims.

I'm currently trying to unravel the mystery of merchant placement and light ships so haven't had time to rummage through the rest of the interface.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

aardvaard posted:

Open the save file directory, copy your save file to your desktop, and move it back if you want to go back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/88i36g/eu4_ironman_save_manager_released/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ofaloaf posted:

Get Dharma because then you won't notice the bugs from when some decision or event chain was created and then only belatedly was it remembered that not everyone has Dharma and access to the government reform mechanic.

Having recently started up an eu4 game after doing ck2 for while I gotta ask, Paradox is aware there are negative things that can happen that aren't "lose reform progress" and "lose stability" right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Save-game_editing

I think the format is the same for eu4. Crack open the archive, change the ironman lines in both files inside with notepad++, zip it back up with the right options, should have a non ironman save to check it with.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Roadie posted:

Any advice for gaming Ashikaga's infinite number of vassals? I want to do something ridiculous like turn the Aztecs or part of the HRE into daimyos.

Steal them with ryukyu and take over the world

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

oddium posted:

did they fix floory’s cave quality audio yet

Yeah, a discord or windows update (can't remember) caused his default audio device to revert to his web cam instead of his actual good mic. It's all fixed now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BONGHITZ posted:

Is there any other way to play besides world conquest? I feel as if I must kill everything, everyone, always.

I just look for achievements to target and play til they get resolved, and continue if I'm having fun beyond that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lucinice posted:

Hey what are some good beginner nations? I've heard that what used to be the best has changed a lot due to expansions and DLC so I want to know what's recommended now.

My two suggestions remain as always:

Portugal for a chill learning experience, just ally Castile and be held in Spain's warm embrace for the entire playthrough and just focus on learning colonizing and trade and small wars

Ottomans for learning how to curbstomp your neighbors

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone have any suggestions to improve EU4 startup time? It takes literally 5 minutes to launch to the main menu every single time (like first startup, having the audacity to click a back button in the single player menu, crashes, quitting a game and returning to the menu, etc).

Game is snappy once it's running, games themselves load fast, but there's this 5 minute lag every time the main menu is involved.

Every drive in my system is an SSD, 32gb ram, i7-6700, nvidia 1070. Nothing top of the line anymore, but I've seen people with vastly more terrible setups startup almost instantly.

Any ideas what might be taking it so long?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

skasion posted:

Yeah there’s no way that should be happening. Have you tried reinstalling?

One thing that sometimes causes a problem is if you have loads of old saves, try trashing those.

Don't have many saves (like 6) since I'm pretty new to EU4. Reinstalling didn't accomplish much sadly. Dumped the whole thing into a ramdisk and it dropped from 186 seconds load time to 103, so that's something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sampatrick posted:

Hindu Republics are fantastic

Especially Hindu Dutch Republics

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you own anything outside of Ryukyu directly?!?

He has Japan. With the new hotness Ryukyu there's no need to. Just make Ming kill Ashikaga for you at the start, swap your government to independent daimyo or whatever it is called and eat the corruption, now you can have unlimited daimyo vassals. Sit on your island, drink some tea, paint some cherry blossoms, make your vassals conquer the world for you

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can't believe it doesn't even support real time raytracing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And after all that micro and throwing cash at cns you'll still be making less money than the guy that just conquered it all and released a couple vassals

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
espionage-maritime

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Trade power is almost always the right choice

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Could also try Beyond Typus + Impactful devastation and prosperity

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631545981

Everything's linked from the BT page

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Corruption also reduces unrest, so debasing currency will help stabilize things if you're having massive faction issues

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dialhforhero posted:

I came to this game and CK2 after playing HOI4 and Stellaris and I cannot grasp either EU4 or CK2. Is there something I am missing? The general feel is similar if only because of the engine and some UI elements but drat, the gameplay is totally different. What am I missing? I can’t seem to grasp the economy or intrigue of the two games.

The tutorials do nothing for me.

Recently bought Rights of Man, Art of War, and Common Sense hoping they improved key features from the base game to help my dumb sadbrains out.

While it isn't a tutorial quill18's vaguely recent (ok, a year ago) air campaign got me through the basics since he was re-learning the game as he went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYAB2vro2qw

assuming of course you can get over his meme pronunciation of europe

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rynoto posted:

Well they won't learn until jumping straight in! Colonizer-only portugal is pretty boring too and doesn't use many of the mechanics.

While true, Colonizer Only is also about the only start that doesn't immediately turn into "how far into a WC can I get". Attach yourself like a limpit to Spain, colonize the new world, reclaim those Portugese gold mines the African tribals have been holding for you for the last hundred years, and just chill

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
England is more Slylandro to me

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beefeater1980 posted:

Arilou in our own history books, Ilwrath in everyone else’s.

I was thinking more the probes

WE COME IN PEACE.
WE BRING GREETINGS FROM A FRIENDLY SPECIES.
DO NOT FEAR. WE SHALL NOT HARM YOU.
THIS IS PROBE 2418-B, ON A PEACEFUL MISSION.
WE ARE NON-HOSTILE AND SEEK TO ESTABLISH FRIENDLY RELATIONS.
WE WISH TO LEARN MORE ABOUT YOU. PLEASE TRANSMIT DATA.
THIS PROBE IS NON-HOSTILE. DO NOT ATTACK.
WE COME IN PEACE.
PRIORITY OVER-RIDE. NEW BEHAVIOR DICTATED.
MUST BREAK TARGET INTO COMPONENT COMPOUNDS.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How would the House of Sinanju fit in to all this?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ryukyu starts as a tributary!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Too bad Ruyuku isn't a daimyo in 1444, though. The strategy I've seen is to get a toehold on Japan via no-CB war, then eat the 10 corruption to reform the government to daimyo.

If you're more willing to restart a few times than eat the stab hit, trying to guess which daimyo is going to get attacked by ashikaga first and getting relations up so you can enforce peace to get into the war works too. Then you just wait for Ashikaga to get real mad about the territory you took and attack you so you can make Ming do all the heavy lifting.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AnoHito posted:

It's mostly that after a point, there's no fun to be had. You've won, no one can challenge you. All that's left is to continually be at war in fights that you aren't going to lose, mindlessly moving troops around in ways that are probably suboptimal but gently caress it, it doesn't matter anyway.

And yet it's not even relaxing or anything because you've got a timer to beat.

Here, a man enjoying a world conquest

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/442996126

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe he had really high corruption

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You want them to fight each other tho cause every time someone declares a war you can force them to commit seppuku and get rewards for it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mantis42 posted:

Ask him how many Romes there have been.

1 Rome, 1 Diet Rome, 1 New Rome that everyone hated and wished they'd just go back to the original recipe, 1 Rome-in-Law

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pyromancer posted:

Cavalry is stronger throughout most of the game, but they're maybe 20% stronger and 200% more expensive, so it's just not efficient in gold compared to just having more infantry and/or artillery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-62B7GiwDw

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirPhoebos posted:

I didn't recruit any regiments, and I think I built like 1 light ship.

Do I just not hire advisors to begin with? That seemed to put me in the red more than anything.

EDIT: Okay, I compared my save with the original start and I think I built a few ships

Also mothball (or sell) your starting heavies, that'll save you a bunch of money, and be sure to send any light ships you might have to protect trade (it's possible sending them out to privateer would make you more money but protect is the safe lazy option to start out with)

If you grab an alliance with Castille it's also pretty safe to mothball your non-african forts (never have an unmaintained fort on the Morocco border) and turn down army maintenance to save more cash

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: how should I balance using Monarch points to develop provinces vs teching up?

The most important advice I can give tech wise is never fall behind on military tech, and as such don't do a mil idea group first 90% of the time

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't high American still the same to slightly inferior at the end compared to European?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv

EU4 is the current humble bundle. Get basically everything for $17

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtu.be/DeCRhvRZdLs

:lol:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Every time I think about doing something exciting achievement wise this guy goes and posts and makes me feel bad about how terrible I am at this game

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/exrxyx/the_true_heir_of_timur_in_1532/

On the plus side he's shown me that Espionage ideas are actually pretty powerful for early snowballing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phlegmish posted:

I might form Spain and keep the Castilian traditions, then. I'm just a bit wary of getting rid of my Aragonese vassal since I'm pretty sure the AI is militarily more competent than I am, and my total army size would decrease.

You guys have any military tips? I think that's my weak point, I don't understand a thing about how the fighting in this game works. I remember the best stack composition being e.g. 10/5/10?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ITH6oNHsIlVHo2LJnR92wP5LEKiON0k2rZJ82YbYaB0/htmlview#gid=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks! The cavalry is a much lower percentage than I expected.

So at tech level 16, the most effective stack is 32/4/30? That's obviously more than any province's supply limit at that point in the game. Should I keep two 16/2/15 stacks in adjacent provinces and then feed them into the same battle?

Yeah, split em up as needed, really only need the whole army to fight other similar armies.

e: Cav isn't all that useful, cost way to much for what you get out of em, you could probably skip them and not miss out on much

Azhais fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 27, 2020