Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
I'm playing a Timurids -> Mughals game, and finally got around to fighting the Ottomans, who rivaled me fairly early on. Built up a good sized army and was proceeding to wreck the Ottos when their allies, the French, showed up. They didn't turn the tide, but did manage to win a battle or two and unsiege some provinces before I could counter-counterattack, whereupon the French armies started heading west--to regroup, I thought. However, they didn't come back. When I reached Istanbul, the Frenchies were nowhere to be seen. Far as I can tell, they just packed up and left.

The question is: why? They weren't at war with anyone else, and they still had 100k+ soldiers. They were low on manpower, but that's never stopped the AI before. They were also having some revolts back home due to the wars of religion disaster (I think that's what it's called, it's France-specific), but nothing that looked particularly dangerous from what little I could see under the fog of war. Anyone seen AI behavior like this, or have any idea what happened? I'm certainly not complaining, but eventually I'm going to have to fight them again, and I'd like to know what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

"Too many territories" caps out at .8 corruption/year so the only growth there should be when you're over-extended after a certain point. There's a couple policies and ideas that can be taken to also reduce corruption by .1/year (Espionage idea and -Administrative/Defensive policies, Defensive-Administrative policy). Secondly, conquest in trade company and colonial nation areas means they don't count towards extra territories, slightly reducing that gained corruption while also providing you with the ducats to pay it down from production and trade.

Doesn't that second point only apply if you're a European?

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What does this mean? It's appearing on every country in the HRE, so it may be some modifier indicating that the emperor doesn't want to support internal wars, but as I said they were willing to join me earlier. So I don't know what's up. I could really use their 40k or so troops against France, who decided they want to be defender of the catholic faith.

The Emperor tends to only join internal wars against its rivals, from my experience. I'm guessing Bohemia was their rival, then became too weak after you beat them up, so now they have no reason to want to war against them. They might have just had a hostile attitude towards Bohemia, which I think has the same effect. The AI personality of the ruler may also affect it, since you mentioned the throne just changed hands. If they're a diplomat now, they're probably more likely to prefer peaceful means of expansion.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Short of releasing them, I don't think so.

With someone as small as Urbino it'd honestly probably be easier to just free and then eat them rather than hellwarring multiple great powers if they go for independence.

If you release them, I think they don't get the automatic alliance with the countries supporting independence, either, so there's that. I recall this happening to me as Holland; I had France and Austria supporting my independence, then got freed by Burgundy, and I had no allies. Pretty sneaky, sis.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Had something really strange in my current game. The Pope gave colonial Mexico to Huastec. Even more strange, Huastec is Sunni. There are no Sunni colonizers in the new world, so WTF?

I imagine the fact that Huastec ate Portugal had something to do with it. They were reduced to one province in Mexico next to their colonial subject, and the Pope had given them Mexico. When Huastec annexed both of them, I got the message that the Pope had granted them colonial Mexico.

Can religious minorities be expelled like cultural minorities? If so, I think Portugal may have done so (they had a decent chunk of Morocco at one point), and then the provinces got taken by Huastec, who then converted to Islam. That's the only explanation I can think of. Still doesn't explain the Pope, though.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Well, that was infuriating.

I'm playing Austria--going for the AEIOU achievement--and so far, I'm doing pretty well. Got Hungary, Bohemia, Milan as lesser partners. I'm just finishing beating up Venice--as you do--when I get a notification that France is about to become junior partner to Provence, and do I want to intervene? Yes, please.

The war is going well, and I call my brosef Burgundy in to help out. France isn't supporting Provence, but all their vassals are, so there's little swarms of gnats all over creation. Nevertheless, I'm pressing forward. Then, Burgundy has their succession event fire and becomes a lesser partner to me. That'd be great, except once the vote is over in the diet, and I decide to keep the French cores, the event fires causing France to declare war on me, and things get wonky.

Instead of the "War of French Succession" I now am in the "War of Burgundian Succession". The war goal is to conquer Dijon, and now I'm the defender somehow. Even so, Provence is the war leader, and France is still not helping them. I capture Paris, and lo and behold, there's no option to take the union. Since France hates their guts, I figure it's better to leave them like this, and instead take Lorraine as a vassal. That keeps the French out of my hair for at least a little while.

Has to be the weirdest bug I've seen in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Just discovered something odd. I'm playing Timurids -> Mughals, and when you form Mughals, you lose the Dhimmi estate. I had given out Dhimmi autonomy, and now I can't revoke it because the estate no longer exists. Whoops. Any idea how to get around this? I could have sworn it didn't happen last time I played them.