Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I want to do an Austria HRE run but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've done Brandenburg and expanded the usual way by painting the map grey to make Mega Germany but I want to work within the mechanics of the HRE and expand that way. But how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What ideas should I choose?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thanks for the tips.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

As Austria I just PUd Bohemia and now I want to conquer Silesia. But how do I do they when Silesia is a vassal of Bohemia?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Family Values posted:

It's not possible without canceling overlordship of Bohemia first, and Bohemia will annex them as soon as possible.

Is there some reason you want it for yourself?

It’s a mission.

So if I just wait it out Bohemia will incorporate the area into themselves? Good.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 25, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The whole drilling system is just so freaking annoying. I just don’t get why it exists.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ok so I’m Austria and HRE and religious leagues have activated. On the Protestant side basically every single major power aside from me and all the little Catholic principalities across the HRE have formed together to make it absolutely impossible for me to win a war against them all. I’ve actually been doing a great job since the Reformation kicked off at keeping the Empire in order and there are currently only 4 heretic principalities. But with the religious leagues it’s me vs France, Castille, Great Britain, Ottomans, Denmark, none of whom are actually Protestant btw. They have like 350k troops combined. What can I do to chip away at this because I’m not sure where to go from here. The year is 1570 if that matters at all.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 11, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Just turn protestant?

I’m HRE and have spent the last 50 years going full on Defender of the True Faith pushing all the heretics poo poo in over and over again. That would completely defeat the whole purpose. Can the HRE even convert?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How long do I have to wait them out? Does the Protestant League need to declare religious war by a certain date or it gets disbanded and I win?

Edit: oh I see it’s 30 years after the league forms then it’ll trigger. Fine I’ll just wait it out then.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 12, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol I just reached the HRE level where everyone becomes your direct vassal and it’s loving hilarious setting all my subjects to aggressive and seeing literally 50 separate armies all move around and swarm some poor bastard as soon as I declare war.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I want to release nations that no longer have cores like Greece from the Ottomans. It’s not available in a peace deal. How do I do that?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

skasion posted:

Greece doesn’t start with any cores, it gains all the Greek Byzantine cores by event at 20 admin tech. You can form Greece by decision before then (after admin 10), but it can’t form naturally or be released until later because it doesn’t have cores.

So as Austria how do I form Greece and release it? Do I need to annex the area directly and then do something?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What the gently caress did this new tiny update for the free Mandate of Heaven week do to my game? All of my saves now crash to desktop. I tried reinstalling the whole game and it’s still crashing. Everything was fine yesterday. What can I do? I have all DLC if that matters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

aqu posted:

Double check you don't have any mods enabled. I had a UI mod do this.

I’ve got precisely zero mods installed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

MrBling posted:

You can try to copy your save games to a different folder and then nuke the EU4 folder in documents/paradox interactive/ and launch the game.
That should rebuild everything there. You can get quit out, copy your save games back and try to load them.

edit; might also be something with compressed/uncompressed save games. there should be a toggle in the options.

Tried this. Didn’t help :( also I’ve never used compressed saves.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sigh I guess I’ll post a thread on the PI tech support forum.

In the meantime new saves and loading works. So I want to do an England game. What’s the best Idea order to do if I want to ignore the Continental game and just focus uniting the Isles and then on colonizing the world and conquering India? Apparently Expansion/Exploration is a bad first pick because England is too far from any colonies until a later Admin tech.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nah I’m not going to go after Iceland.

And quantity over quality?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So starting an England game where I don’t care to gently caress around on the continent whats the best thing to do with the provinces I have in France?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I assume the French AI will always try and conquer those territories until they eventually get them right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’ve never played a non European nation. Any tips for playing as the Ming? How do you avoid slowly losing ground in development so that by 1650 you’re hopelessly behind the Spanish and Ottomans?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Anyone have any experience playing Voltaire's Nightmare? Is it any good?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

When is the Jesus Patch estimated to come out again?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Please don’t be any game breaking balance issues or bugs. I’ve been waiting like a year to start new campaigns waiting on this DLC.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What would an EU5 do better besides theoretically performing better?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The first dev diary for what would become this expansion was like February of 2019. How is it so broken after so much time?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is it viable to play France without playing the colony game?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Did the hotfix really not fix the Ducat bug?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nice, gonna get the expansion and play it now that the egregious stuff is fixed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How can I get CBs on Native Civs so I can conquer Central America without the aggressive extension and stability penalties?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Do you still need to border the Native regions to CB them once you complete the Exploration idea group?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ok. Thanks

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is the strategy for playing as Austria largely the same as it was pre Emperor?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Can someone explain to me how using light ships to protect trade works because from what the game tells me there is no difference from me putting either 1 or 20 ships in a trade node in terms of my profit. For instance 1 ship will add 3.66 trade power and increase my trade value from 18.64 to 27.39. 17 ships on the other hand will add 54.97 trade power but only give me an additional .2 in trade value.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ithle01 posted:

Don't trust the trade ships screen because it doesn't display the correct amount and you'll just have to eyeball the numbers yourself. The best way to find out where to put your ships is just to move them around yourself and check your trade income from month to month.

edit: once you play the game for a while you just sort of get used to it and know where to put trade ships for profit, but when you're new-ish to the trade game you just have to find out yourself through experimentation.

I have 450 hours in this game and I don’t understand it lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

On how Earth as France can I complete the L’Etat c’est moi mission where you need to have your average autonomy under 15% with all the trade companies in my territories I have around Africa? That keeps those territories at 80% autonomy and that fucks my average.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

Conquer more of Europe

loving Coalitions man.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know it’s been a criticism since day 1 but it can be truly frustrating when you’re aiming to just annex one province and the entire coalition will happily drain its entire manpower reserves fighting you to the death and forcing you to occupy their entire country before they’ll give up. Napoleon could win a couple of decisive battles to win his wars.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So it’s 1704 and I’m by far the strongest power in the game as France but now I’m trying to start wars against people and as soon as I do power that aren’t even allied to the country I’m attacking jump into the conflict and gently caress up the force disparity. And it’s not a coalition thing, there isn’t any formed. How do I stop this from happening?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can you give more context to "jump in"? Do you get any sort of notification when they join? Are they Defender of the Faith?

I get no notifications. I start the war and the target and their allies are hostile. But then a couple days later a bunch more nations are in the war too. Is it a case of the hostile nations calling in their allies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

oddium posted:

is the target in the hre

...maybe

Can the Emperor call in non combatants from within the empire to join the war? I’m not declaring against the Emperor just someone they’re protecting.