Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What DLC do I need to not make units get black flagged when I declare war and they're somewhere with military access. I'm trying to invade England via Scotland here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

There is no DLC. You have to call Scotland into the war for your units not to be black flagged.

Ah dammit. I’m new to the game and thought I’d seen people on YouTube do that.

PittTheElder posted:

Can you still do the thing where you load blag flagged units onto boats, move them to see, and then back to port one day later to clear the black flag status?

Problem is England would destroy my fleet in a second. Probably shouldn’t have started my first game in Ironman mode.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there something I’m not understanding - I started a new game and named the save Castile 5. Before I exited I saved again.

But I can’t find that save now when I go to load game?

It was going really well so it’s a bit annoying.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

oddium posted:

did you update at all/enable or disable dlc at all

No- but restarting caused it to show up. Weird.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So some of my colonial subjects, I’ve seized pretty much all of the americas, have rebelled.

If I negotiate with the war leader (Spanish Louisiana) it says “White Peace ... will remain subjects to Spain”.

If I negotiate with individual countries it doesn’t say that last bit - does that mean they will gain independence under a white peace or not?

Need answer fast.

(Also I’m surprised at how few people have some of the achievements, I guess it’s because most don’t play iron man.)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So my Spain game went really well and now I’m trying France and it’s really different - and I need tips on keeping my AE down!

After taking the English provinces, Brittany, the NW bits of Provence and one province from Burgundy anything I do causes a coalition. Is there some way to get to Ireland or North Africa so I can expand somewhere else?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I had some weird stuff happen as France.

I declared war on Leige for conquest of a province which drew in Austria as the Emperor, so far as planned. But the Burgundian inheritance happened during the war and I chose to fight Austria over it.

Somehow within a few months those provinces all became Austrian and I didn’t get a chance to win the war - would have been a massive help in getting those provinces without AE!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It is so difficult to get that first Levy the troops mission complete. My manpower is never going to be 60%- but I want those free claims!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Exploit development on manpower for the claims and CB and subjugate Scotland before you even think about putting an englishman on the Continent.

Ah, that would have been good advice. But I’m the other hand I lucked into a into a personal union with Castile which won me the war against France!

Now I’m just trying to recover my manpower and spawn the institution before I attack Scotland.

Edit: spoke to soon. The war of the rose just drained me back to zero...

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 15, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
https://imgur.com/a/tGd90Gd

Religion has been weird in this game.

Also fml - just gave the Ottomans 7000 ducats and war reps by accident - thought they were giving it to me!

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 24, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Are there any tips about expending towards distant provinces? I have a lot of western Europe and Africa conquered with vassals but they don’t really fabricate claims - meaning I can’t invade other nations.

I thought religious ideas would help, but deus vault also only works on bordering nations.

Also if there’s any suggestions for good vassals to convert and release in India that would be helpful- I already have Najd in Arabia.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

skasion posted:

You can set provinces to "Desired" or something in one of the tabs lower down on the diplomacy screen. If your vassals neighbor these provinces they will sometimes fabricate claims on them.

Is that in a DLC or something? I don't have them all.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I think it’s also a dlc though?

On the other hand I now have imperialism and am less adverse to border gore - so fewer issues expanding.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I feel like the game should have some mechanic for "5000 troops were sent to Haiti. None returned." but also... we're not quite there yet.

They could have a ‘season’ effect like for winter in northern provinces. Troops from Europe get massive attrition if they’re in a tropical province in the rainy season.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Somebody tell me how to make money as Muscovy stat. I’m losing around 5 ducats a month with army maintenance up.

It’s very different to playing as England/France/Spain.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for the tips. A few wars just for money helped my finances and aggressive expansion a lot. I also have religious ideas and half of trade- so I’ll look forward to turning that policy on.

Is there a point where you should switch your trade port?

(Also me being allied to Hungary has made them super strong, beating up on the Ottomans and Poland left and right.)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m not actually Russia yet as I wanted to complete the Muscovy mission tree first - there’s a lot of claims that will be useful.

It’s just taking an age to eat all of ruthenia!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Doesnt russia get most, if not all, of those claims anyway?

Oh poo poo. Then unless there’s Muscovy specific achievements I might as well switch now- get those Siberian frontiers!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Groke posted:

Yes. I'm thinking that an optimal Muscovy -> Russia run involves beelining to admin tech 10, taking not much more land than you need to form Russia. Keeping several of your vassals and feeding them more land might be a good idea.

Yeah now I’m sad I could have done the race to Siberia mission- but it’s too late now.

When it comes to vassals I’ve got two but I’m just going to absorb them until I can find one with religious orientated ideas. The only ones I might be able to get are Najd and Sindh because they’re relatively close.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Wouldn’t an ice age increase the price of grain? Less supply means price goes up.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone made a video or article about what the absolute most achievements you could get in a single run is?

I’d imagine you’d have to figure out which nation has the most specific achievements (France?) and go from there.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
As a relatively new player I am impressed with how different each area feels. I'm playing as Austria now and it's incredibly challenging. If only Hungary didn't keep breaking off from the personal union!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So in the latest update has there been a lot of changes to the Burgundian inheritance?

I’ve been trying to get it as Austria for ages now and despite an alliance, marriage and then being at war it hasn’t happened.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

I don't recall the exact specifics, it's been a couple months since I did my Austria run with the most recent DLC, but iirc it goes something like:

*snip*

Who's the ruler of Burgundy? If it's Marie or Charles just be patient. If it's someone else you're screwed.

drat, it’s Duke Charles I on the throne but the heir is Louise de Bourgogne. So looks like I hit that very small chance.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
This Austria game is kicking my arse. Lost a big war with the Ottomans and it’s taking so long to recover.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Sell out your allies next time.

I didn’t have any - the ottomans declared while I was already in a bruising fight with Poland Lithuania. Fuckers all declined.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Another question about the Burgundian inheritance - if it’s Charles with Marie as heir do you need to maintain a good relationship and royal marriage with them?

Because I’ve restarted and them holding onto imperial land is messing with my authority but I don’t want to go to war with them if it will ruin my chances.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks. I guess I’ll just have to deal with them holding imperial land!

I’m now also slightly annoyed that because I returned a bunch of land to Milan their opinion is too high for me to restore the union.

Look I was just fattening you up, I don’t actually want to be your friend.

(An insult wasn’t enough so I might eat the two stab hit)

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 22, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Oh great now Maria wants to join the empire. I want the imperial authority so banning their entry is probably the correct choice.

But I suspect it will hurt my chances of inheriting burgundy...

Edit. Ah damnit she just fell to pretender rebels anyway, now Duke Pierre I Semur is in the throne. Guess I have to eat them the hard way.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 24, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Alright, won a grueling religious league war against Emperor France, Spain, Commonwealth, Russia, and others, now I'm Protestant Emperor Bohemia, time to pass some refor-

I’m failing horribly at preventing the spread of Protestants and Reformation so I’m waiting desperately for the league war to fire as I believe winning that will give me some religious conversion bonuses.

Separately I’ve been pursuing a administrative/influence ideas group strategy to get the 20% annexation discount policy which I believe stacks with the idea group discount.

Is this actually a monarch points efficient way of gaining territory or would I be better of just taking it directly?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I had a weird event. It offered a royal marriage with Spain or plus 1 yearly prestige. I could have gotten a royal marriage with Spain at any time so the latter was better.

But I thought “huh why would a royal marriage be an event?” And selected it, turns out that it’s just a royal marriage with no special events.

C’est la vie.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
You should get papal authority for force converting countries.

Also I didn’t understand how the second last reform works so now I need to reconquer like half the HRE.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I’ve got the second last reform but HRE members can still ally other nations- then if I declare war against those nations they join against me and are no longer vassals?

That sucks- especially as you can’t enforce “join the empire” against secondary participants.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Don't smack the button early and instead just let AE bleed off and make sure your rep is maxed first. Shouldn't have many, if any, decide to leave then.

E: Misread. They shouldn't be able to ally anyone as they're vassals ???

I’ll take some screenshots but I definitely just lost Switzerland because they were allied to Ragusa :argh:

Is it maybe because they keep their previous alliances? Lots of them are allied to each other as well.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

pdxjohan posted:

7?

Eu4 was built upon eu3, and i coded the core stuff for that game in 2005. So thats basically a 16 year old architecture, that also includes code from original eu1/eu2 at places..

The code itself is not really the main problem, but the sheer amount of features from a design perspective.

Is there really code in the game dating back 16 years? What would be the most untouched from part from EU3?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I probably watched dozens of hours on YouTube including some of the developer multiplayers (they’re really funny) before I even bought the game.

That did help me get up to speed quickly.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So the subscription model is live now? £3.99 a month doesn’t seems pretty good. Especially as there’s no minimum sub period.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can someone explain to me what I should be doing about governing capacity? State Houses say −20% Statewide governing cost and Court Houses say −25% Province governing cost but how does either effect governing capacity?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Huh, I feel like seizing Mecca and Medina should be more of an event as the Ottomans. Did I just skip the pop up or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think you get a couple of possible random events in addition to the Custodian of the Holy Cities modifier, which is +1 missionary and +0.5 legitimacy.

Yeah the only reason I noticed was because I had an extra missionary!